• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In two moves Washington can increase their cap, improve their team, and keep their draft capital.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As all of you know I was one of, if not the biggest proponent in favor of trading for D. Watson. Well, that didn't happen and Washington traded for Carson Wince who now commands a significant portion of their cap, plus IMO, doesn't add much to their QB room. Clearly, I'm not happy with the Wince move but mistakes can be corrected if this suspect Washington front office has the mental capacity to do so. Here's my proposal and fix.

If reports are to be believed, there was some interest in Carson Wince from one or two other teams before the Commanders pulled the trigger.
Washington should immediately make contact with these teams to gauge interest in Wince AND be willing to take no less than a 3rd round pick for his services.

At the same time, they must contact the Cleveland Browns for Baker Mayfield, offering a 3rd round pick for his services. (yep same one)
A 3-way trade involving Washington, Cleveland, and this other team satisfies an issue for each of these teams.

1. Team X gets the guy that they originally wanted or had an interest in, in Wince.

2. Cleveland unloads Mayfield who is likely to be let go into free agency and won't get past Detroit in waivers. In this scenario, Cleveland gets nothing as there are very very few teams currently showing interest in trading for him.

3. Washington, upgrades its QB room, saves roughly 9 million in cap room, doesn't have to worry about upgrading that 3rd round pick to a 2nd because Wince doesn't get 70% of snaps here and remain in a position to draft their future next year if they choose to move on from Baker. All of this can be done at the low, low, price of zero money, zero current players, and no remaining draft capital.

Baker Mayfield > Carson Wince

Each has one year remaining on their current contracts

Carson Wince... $28,294,119
Baker Mayfield..$18,858,000

Thought everyone???

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lions have the 18 million needed to claim him off of waivers. Since Mayfield is all base salary they would need his full amount.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As all of you know I was one of, if not the biggest proponent in favor of trading for D. Watson. Well, that didn't happen and Washington traded for Carson Wince who now commands a significant portion of their cap, plus IMO, doesn't add much to their QB room. Clearly, I'm not happy with the Wince move but mistakes can be corrected if this suspect Washington front office has the mental capacity to do so. Here's my proposal and fix.

If reports are to be believed, there was some interest in Carson Wince from one or two other teams before the Commanders pulled the trigger.
Washington should immediately make contact with these teams to gauge interest in Wince AND be willing to take no less than a 3rd round pick for his services.

At the same time, they must contact the Cleveland Browns for Baker Mayfield, offering a 3rd round pick for his services. (yep same one)
A 3-way trade involving Washington, Cleveland, and this other team satisfies an issue for each of these teams.

1. Team X gets the guy that they originally wanted or had an interest in, in Wince.

2. Cleveland unloads Mayfield who is likely to be let go into free agency and won't get past Detroit in waivers. In this scenario, Cleveland gets nothing as there are very very few teams currently showing interest in trading for him.

3. Washington, upgrades its QB room, saves roughly 9 million in cap room, doesn't have to worry about upgrading that 3rd round pick to a 2nd because Wince doesn't get 70% of snaps here and remain in a position to draft their future next year if they choose to move on from Baker. All of this can be done at the low, low, price of zero money, zero current players, and no remaining draft capital.

Thought everyone???
You just made deans head explode

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wouldnt we have then traded two third round picks and a 2nd/3rd rounder and Wentz for Mayfield?

I might be reading your trade offer incorrectly, but if I am not, then that’s a terrible move.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wouldnt we have then traded two third round picks and a 2nd/3rd rounder and Wentz for Mayfield?

I might be reading your trade offer incorrectly, but if I am not, then that’s a terrible move.
You are they trade Wince for a 3rd, use that same 3rd for Mayfield, net-zero loss for Washington. Gain >9M in the cap, no upgrade from 3rd to 2nd in the Wince deal, upgrade at QB, and the same situation applies to 2023 if they want to move on. Their loss would only be that 3rd (now Matt Ryan) to Indy. They swapped 2nds with Indy.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are they trade Wince for a 3rd, use that same 3rd for Mayfield, net-zero loss for Washington. Gain >9M in the cap, no upgrade from 3rd to 2nd in the Wince deal, upgrade at QB, and the same situation applies to 2023 if they want to move on.
Washington swapped 2nds and traded a 3rd this year on top of a 3rd rounder next year that could turn into a 2nd

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thought everyone???

I don't completely understand this, honestly. But if your proposal is to add Mayfield while getting rid of Wentz, I don't agree.
Its not often i disagree with you, but Washington rushed into getting a QB, and had no creativity or dice rolling and this is where they are at.
I'm going to read your proposal once more, and attempt to absorb it

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Washington swapped 2nds and traded a 3rd this year on top of a 3rd rounder next year that could turn into a 2nd
My mistake @Chiiler, @Country is correct, Washington essentially traded 2 thirds for Wince (swapping 2nds)

My trade proposal when all is said and done leaves Washington exactly where they are right now draft-wise, except they don't have to concern themselves with upgrading one of those 3rd rounders to a 2nd next year because Wince takes zero snaps here if traded. the loss of the 2 3rd rounders is a well-earned Stupid tax by this front office!

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't completely understand this, honestly. But if your proposal is to add Mayfield while getting rid of Wentz, I don't agree.
Its not often i disagree with you, but Washington rushed into getting a QB, and had no creativity or dice rolling and this is where they are at.
I'm going to read your proposal once more, and attempt to absorb it
Wince for somebody else's 3rd, parlay that for Mayfield. Net zero change for D.C.

Draft wise Washington remains as is, except they don't have to upgrade one loss 3rd to a second in the Wince deal (they still lose 2 3rd round picks)

1. They also lose Wince, (this is big)
2. Gain just over 9M in cap space.
3. Upgrade their QB room
4. Mayfield becomes a UFA next year unless...
5. D.C. completes this move at no further cost, The loss of the 2 3rd rounders is a stupid tax, well earned by this front office.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad deal. Mayfield is definitely not an upgrade to Wentz. That’s hardly even a question.

It would be a lateral move, though I dont rhink that Mayfield is comparable to wentz. I dont think mayfield’s best season is comparable to wentz’s last season, in fact.

Admittedly, i havent checked.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad deal. Mayfield is definitely not an upgrade to Wentz. That’s hardly even a question.

It would be a lateral move, though I dont rhink that Mayfield is comparable to wentz. I dont think mayfield’s best season is comparable to wentz’s last season, in fact.

Admittedly, i havent checked.
Here's a comparison of their best seasons stats, you be the judge! Remember (Wince costs just over 9M more than Mayfield. Mayfield has the far greater upside... Wince has zero so that doesn't say much about Baker)

1647921076220.png
1647921110305.png
1647921140857.png
1647921179438.png
1647921201879.png

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there's this from a Colts poster making the same comparisons.

1647923315538.png
1647923350775.png

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much of a difference
I just posted another comparison that supports your conclusion and mine. Fumbles lost has Wince by a long shot over Mayfield.

I think that the bigger two assets in favor of Mayfield are cap cost and potential. I'll not make "his potential" a thing because I didn't give Wince any credit, but the cap savings can go into improving this team in free agency. IMO they've already spent the draft capital in getting Wince and won't be getting that back, so how do they supplement this loss,? become more active in free agency! The move doesn't cost them anything that they don't already have, as you've noted there's not much difference between them and both will cost nothing to get rid of next year.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibbs signed off on Wetnz. Right or wrong he is our guy this year.

Gibbs signing off on the move is tricky. Gibbs is the guy that traded up for Jason Campbell and had a top 10 defense but stuck with Brunell.

On the flip side plucked Doug out of a PE gym. Had enough sense to know he had to get Schroeder out of his locker room, and made Theismann an MVP.

Time will tell.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a comparison of their best seasons stats, you be the judge! Remember (Wince costs just over 9M more than Mayfield. Mayfield has the far greater upside... Wince has zero so that doesn't say much about Baker)

View attachment 292156
View attachment 292157
View attachment 292158
View attachment 292159
View attachment 292160
I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Mayfield has more upside than Wentz does when comparing these stats. Wentz has better stats in every category except for fumbles.

You could argue that they have equal talent, for sure. You could argue that since Mayfiled is cheaper, then he would be a more cost effective signing. But to me, and based on these stats, you can't really argue that Mayfield has more upside then Wentz.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Mayfield has more upside than Wentz does when comparing these stats. Wentz has better stats in every category except for fumbles.

You could argue that they have equal talent, for sure. You could argue that since Mayfiled is cheaper, then he would be a more cost effective signing. But to me, and based on these stats, you can't really argue that Mayfield has more upside then Wentz.
about the same

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything that you have outlined, however, I am convinced that Wince has zero upside, in fact, I believe that he is shot in terms of realizing any potential seen here by RR and obviously missed elsewhere if they can pull it out of him. Based upon that, the edge goes to Mayfield by default no matter how little or more "upside" he has.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've preferred Winston or Mariota.
That way they could've told the fans, the truth. We are going to draft a qb at 11 and let him sit. This wentz deal gives some fans the idea, we believe wentz will win a playoff game

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too , anyone thinking wince will win a Super Bowl with us is on crack as well as smack
I would've preferred Winston or Mariota.
That way they could've told the fans, the truth. We are going to draft a qb at 11 and let him sit. This wentz deal gives some fans the idea, we believe wentz will win a playoff game