• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final 53 - Take your shot!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Personally, I think there are so many toss-ups that aside from the starters there are literally countless ways the roster could shape up. Alot will depend on not only what the coaches see for this year but also the expectations going forward. For instance, I know Cartwright looked good last week, but not sure we really need to keep him.

I also think Ginn will have to show a bit, returns alone shouldn't be enough to warrant a roster spot with the talent we have. That said, whoever returns will need to show exceptional ball security (insert joke here).

Despite showing pretty well running the ball, Cartwright only makes it if his STs play merits it. But that's what he does, so he seems like a safe bet in that area. He could lose out to a guy like Colin Jones, though, certainly. Or Bakhtiari.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree with crimson other than I believe Leonard Davis makes it over Pearson. Not ideal but Davis could play tackle in a pinch. Also believe Kourtnei Brown makes it over Cam. Cam has been hurt a lot and we can stash him on PS easier IMO

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I mostly agree with crimson other than I believe Leonard Davis makes it over Pearson. Not ideal but Davis could play tackle in a pinch. Also believe Kourtnei Brown makes it over Cam. Cam has been hurt a lot and we can stash him on PS easier IMO

Having now watched most of the preseason game, I might agree re: Person. He was looking very shaky at OT, all but incapable of stopping an inside spin move.

As for Johnson, I would be worried only because several pundits had him in the 3rd or so. Though obviously other teams did not.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would keep Owusu over Ginn in a heartbeat. Despite the NFC Championship Game, I have always liked what I've seen out of Williams and feel like this could be a bounce back year for him. I love watching Owusu bc he reminds me of our YAC WRs of the 80's and 90's...not crazy fast but elusive enough to get open and dangerous in space bc he seems difficult to bring down.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or Davis would plug G while Boone goes to T....

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll stick with Ginn as a return man, rather KW focus in as a WR.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We should keep Ginn until someone else shows that they can handle punts and kickoffs in big games.

I'd hate to cut Ginn, and then we end up goofing up some returns in big games. We should ease one of the other young guys into the return game... aren't kickoffs easier than punts? Maybe have James or Jenkins do kickoffs to get their feet wet.

I like the 53 man roster that was put together except I'd really like to carry 3 TEs. Maybe Cartwright could be substituted for a 3rd TE.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would keep Owusu over Ginn in a heartbeat. Despite the NFC Championship Game, I have always liked what I've seen out of Williams and feel like this could be a bounce back year for him. I love watching Owusu bc he reminds me of our YAC WRs of the 80's and 90's...not crazy fast but elusive enough to get open and dangerous in space bc he seems difficult to bring down.

I still think Ginn and Williams make this team. Williams has shows flashes of good WR play. Ginn will be needed as our sure returner as i dont think preseason will show enough of Hunter/James/etc to be the defacto returner and make Ginn expendable. I agree with you though i am really high on Owusu and am afraid we could lose him through waivers. Owusu also has a history of returning the ball pretty good. Some specualtion is that Harbs and Co. are not exposing Owusu so much either because his concussion history or they dont want any of the 31 teams to see any good game on him as to claim him off waivers if he makes the psquad. He is my darkhorse candidate to make the team. But like many say at which WR expense?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Hockey, I would cut Ginn in favor of Owusu. We know what we have in Ginn and aside from PR/KR, it ain't much. If James/Hunter/Williams/etc. show they can handle punts and KR then having Ginn around seems repetitive to me. We don't know what we have in Owusu but it seems to trending upward based on only ONE preseason game. If we try to PS him, we could very well lose him.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Ginn and Williams make this team. Williams has shows flashes of good WR play.

I want to agree with you, except that Williams has picked a bad time to start frequenting Harbaugh's dog house, and Ginn has shown zero worth outside of STs. There are too many good developmental/bubble players on the Niners this year that I think there is a decent chance one of them won't make the team.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I want to agree with you, except that Williams has picked a bad time to start frequenting Harbaugh's dog house, and Ginn has shown zero worth outside of STs. There are too many good developmental/bubble players on the Niners this year that I think there is a decent chance one of them won't make the team.

Just curious on that statement because I only read 1 incident that involved KW. Was there other instances?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need deep threats, Randy and Ginn are our deepest threats... Outside of VD

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Hockey, I would cut Ginn in favor of Owusu. We know what we have in Ginn and aside from PR/KR, it ain't much. If James/Hunter/Williams/etc. show they can handle punts and KR then having Ginn around seems repetitive to me. We don't know what we have in Owusu but it seems to trending upward based on only ONE preseason game. If we try to PS him, we could very well lose him.

The known ST skills of Ginn and the unknown ST skills of James/Hunter/Williams/etc is why I think Ginn sticks. What happened in the NFC Championship has been discussed ad nauseum but I think its fair to say that if Ginn played that 1st muff doesn't happen and we are playing for our 6th Lombardi Trophy. I don't think Harbaalke risks a situation like that again by cutting a known return commodity

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The known ST skills of Ginn and the unknown ST skills of James/Hunter/Williams/etc is why I think Ginn sticks. What happened in the NFC Championship has been discussed ad nauseum but I think its fair to say that if Ginn played that 1st muff doesn't happen and we are playing for our 6th Lombardi Trophy. I don't think Harbaalke risks a situation like that again by cutting a known return commodity

Totally agree, +1.

At the same time, during the regular season we need to give some returns to young guys like James, Jenkins, even KW, in the hope that one of these young guys could supplant Ginn next year. Ginn is on a 1 year contract.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We need deep threats, Randy and Ginn are our deepest threats... Outside of VD

Ginn is not a deep threat. He's a fast runner. There is more to being a deep threat than running fast. We had this conversation last year where people were saying he could serve as a decoy. That doesn't work if he's not a threat to actually make a play.

And, he's not a threat to actually make a play.

I would not be bothered at all if Ginn didn't make the roster this year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ginn is not a deep threat. He's a fast runner. There is more to being a deep threat than running fast. We had this conversation last year where people were saying he could serve as a decoy. That doesn't work if he's not a threat to actually make a play.

I wish this were untrue. Ginn made it a point that he wanted more work as a WR; so, hopefully, at some point, sooner rather than later, Ginn will turn this truth into a myth.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the one time he did, it was taken away by the stupid chop block call in the Baltimore game. :(

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the one time he did, it was taken away by the stupid chop block call in the Baltimore game. :(

Even if that play had counted it would not have helped his "Deep Threat" status. But it would have helped his stats, quite a bit.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if that play had counted it would not have helped his "Deep Threat" status. But it would have helped his stats, quite a bit.

True, I just hate that play and the Crabtree bull-shit out of bounds TD that was taken away. The Ravens game, IMO, would be quite a different game, even if Baltimore could still have won. If we were to go 14-2 this year, then that game allowed us to best our 13-3 instead of tie it. ;)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I just hate that play and the Crabtree bull-shit out of bounds TD that was taken away. The Ravens game, IMO, would be quite a different game, even if Baltimore could still have won. If we were to go 14-2 this year, then that game allowed us to best our 13-3 instead of tie it. ;)

The Ginn play was very unfortunate; but, it was called accurately regardless of whether it was called outside the "spirit" of the rule.

As for Crabtree's OOB call, I've never film that shows conclusively that he was in bounds and Crabtree at times can be oblivious to where he is on the field.