• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final 53 - Take your shot!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bringing this over from the Dobbs thread.

With regard to the Dobbs situation, my assumption is that he remains on the active roster and is deactivated on game days until he's healthy enough to play. It's not uncommon to have injured guys on the roster each year.

The big question is how does the Dobbs injury effect the very bottom of the roster. If Dobbs can't play for a couple weeks, we need a 3rd TE and backup DE/OLB.

So let's say Reuland is TE3 and Bahktiari is the OLB.

Who loses a roster spot because of that? I guess this means I have to take a shot at the initial 53 (it's way too early for a final 53, that's 5 months away:P)

QB - Smith, Kaepernick, Johnson (I think I'd prefer Tolzien, but I believe he has PS eligibility, and Harbaugh has a relationship with Johnson already) [3]

RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Dixon (definitely would have been on the outside with the Dobbs situation, but Roman has suggested he made the roster, and with injuries to James and Jacobs, he could be needed) [5]

FB - Miller (Tukuafu) [1]

TE - Davis, Walker (Dobbs) [2]

WR - Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Ginn [5]

OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A. Davis, L. Davis, Kilgore, Person [8]

Offense - 24

DL - Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Williams, Tukuafu, Dobbs, RJF [6]

ILB - Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden [4]

OLB - Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Bakhtiari [4]

CB - Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock [5]

S - Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, McBath [4]

Defense - 23

LS - Jennings
PK - Akers
P - Lee
All purpose - Cartwright
ST - 4

That's 51. I think Reuland sticks at least while Dobbs is injured. If Dobbs comes back in week 4, that's when Reuland is on the chopping block.

There's one spot left. Do we keep one of the undrafted WRs (Palmer/Owusu)? If so, which one? Do we keep a 9th OL? Harbaugh likes to go big on the OL. I haven't followed the team as closely as I'd like this summer, but it seems like Derek Hall can play guard and tackle. He also seems like he could easily get to the PS. Is one of the young safeties? If so, Robinson or Jones?

I think I would go with Robinson.

Then on the PS, I would go with
Jones (is he still eligible, too lazy to check right now)
Hall
Owusu or Palmer (doubt we can get them both)
Looney
Jerod-Eddie
Tolzien
Johnson******

That's 6 spots. Two spots are being left for guys playing elsewhere right now.

I'd probably look for an athletic TE for two reasons. First, he can easily be replaced by Reuland when Dobbs gets healthy if that's the route we want to go, and second (more importantly) Walker is a FA after the season. I'd rather not spend a mid to high pick replacing a role player so if we can get a player similar to Walker who shows promise on the PS, we can attempt to develop him.

The second spot I would probably look for a CB or OLB simply because you can't have too many CBs or OLBs. I don't expect any of the PS to become starters, but an OLB that can apply pressure, or a CB that can contribute on ST and be a 4th CB would be nice.

Lastly, I wouldn't be too upset if Brock or Cartwright were cut for one of the two young WRs if we want to make sure we keep him. More likely Cartwright because it's a crowded backfield already and if we cut Brock, we could very well be looking for a CB around week 9 due to an injury.

Edit - I thought Cam Johnson was on the PUP. I just read a post by pozz suggesting otherwise, so I put him on the PS as the OLB.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With regard to the Dobbs situation, my assumption is that he remains on the active roster and is deactivated on game days until he's healthy enough to play. It's not uncommon to have injured guys on the roster each year.

The big question is how does the Dobbs injury effect the very bottom of the roster. If Dobbs can't play for a couple weeks, we need a 3rd TE and backup DE/OLB.

Who loses a roster spot because of that? I guess this means I have to take a shot at the initial 53 (it's way too early for a final 53, that's 5 months away:P)

QB - Smith, Kaepernick, Johnson (I think I'd prefer Tolzien, but I believe he has PS eligibility, and Harbaugh has a relationship with Johnson already) [3]

I think Tolzien is in, Johnson is out.

RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Dixon (definitely would have been on the outside with the Dobbs situation, but Roman has suggested he made the roster, and with injuries to James and Jacobs, he could be needed) [5]

I can't see us keeping Dixon and Cartwright. Frankly, I'm still surprised we're keeping Dixon. (-)1

Almost hoping the injury makes them cut Ginn and keep Palmer or Owusu

I could see Person being out for Beeler or Hall. Also don't see Looney being released.
Offense - 24

Anyone heard about Wilhoite? Looks physically good but never heard about him.

I think Brock could lose his spot to Thomas, Robinson or both. (+)2

Defense - 23

LS - Jennings
PK - Akers
P - Lee
All purpose - Cartwright
ST - 4
No Cartwright. (-)1
That's 51. I think Reuland sticks at least while Dobbs is injured. If Dobbs comes back in week 4, that's when Reuland is on the chopping block.

There's one spot left. Do we keep one of the undrafted WRs (Palmer/Owusu)? If so, which one? Do we keep a 9th OL? Harbaugh likes to go big on the OL. I haven't followed the team as closely as I'd like this summer, but it seems like Derek Hall can play guard and tackle. He also seems like he could easily get to the PS. Is one of the young safeties? If so, Robinson or Jones?

Ha, didn't notice this paragraph but we seem to agree on most.

Hall
Looney
Jerod-Eddie
Tolzien
Johnson******

Not enough time to analyze leftovers for PS.

I'd probably look for an athletic TE for two reasons. First, he can easily be replaced by Reuland when Dobbs gets healthy if that's the route we want to go, and second (more importantly) Walker is a FA after the season. I'd rather not spend a mid to high pick replacing a role player so if we can get a player similar to Walker who shows promise on the PS, we can attempt to develop him.

The second spot I would probably look for a CB or OLB simply because you can't have too many CBs or OLBs. I don't expect any of the PS to become starters, but an OLB that can apply pressure, or a CB that can contribute on ST and be a 4th CB would be nice.

Lastly, I wouldn't be too upset if Brock or Cartwright were cut for one of the two young WRs if we want to make sure we keep him. More likely Cartwright because it's a crowded backfield already and if we cut Brock, we could very well be looking for a CB around week 9 due to an injury.

Edit - I thought Cam Johnson was on the PUP. I just read a post by pozz suggesting otherwise, so I put him on the PS as the OLB.

^^^My comments in bold.^^^

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as justification for keeping him over Tolzien, I think we should be beyond Johnson having a relationship with Harbaugh. The familiarity with Harbaugh's offense should have given him the edge, if he's not showing that edge, I want Tolzien on our team. (If he is showing the edge, disregard this post.) Is he performing better in practice, in preseason games? Does he have better skills in passing, mobility, reading the defenses? Is he physically that more gifted, etc.? I think someone would pick Tolzien off waivers or later from our practice squad, so I feel we have to make the decision do we want Johnson or Tolzien, because we won't necessarily get both. Johnson knows Harbaugh's offense from years ago in college and a bit here over the offseason. Tolzien knows a full year of Harbaugh's recent NFL offense. A bit of overlap and similarity, but Tolzien had the richer knowledge for longer.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Offense - 24

Defense - 23

LS - Jennings
PK - Akers
P - Lee
All purpose - Cartwright
ST - 4

Hall
Looney
Jerod-Eddie
Tolzien
Johnson******

At WR, you listed 6 WRs but designated 5 in total. I assuming Ginn is the odd man you wanted out or as a returner?

I would look to keep Cam on if he's healthy.

Hey Cooly was just cut, he's no top notch blocker IMO but a pass catcher TE we could get? unless he's been picked up already lol...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doesn't look like any of our drafted OL will make the roster? Was hoping for Looney for backup...

But Davis is a good one to have.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doesn't look like any of our drafted OL will make the roster? Was hoping for Looney for backup...

But Davis is a good one to have.

Davis was on the street, so it's not like he's in high demand. Would rather keep Looney and bring Davis back if needed. A 4th rounder not even on the squad would be dissappointing.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis was on the street, so it's not like he's in high demand. Would rather keep Looney and bring Davis back if needed. A 4th rounder not even on the squad would be dissappointing.

Davis does bring in vet experience along with some actual productivity(at least from what i've seen)...

but yea, not even our 4th rounder OL not making the squad.... makes this draft class of ours a bit underwhelming... aside from Flemming being on IR and Jenkins is a project of sorts.

I think we just got LMJ out of it lol...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Offense - 24

Defense - 23

LS - Jennings
PK - Akers
P - Lee
All purpose - Cartwright
ST - 4

Hall
Looney
Jerod-Eddie
Tolzien
Johnson******

My only differences from imac's:

I have 1 more OL (9) - Looney added.

I didn't have McBath making it and I had Trenton Robinson and Colin Jones making it. Robinson for STs/depth and Jones primarily for special teams.

Initially I had Cartwright making it over Dixon but I changed it when I heard Roman speak on Dixon.

I don't have an initial list made up for PS yet.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At WR, you listed 6 WRs but designated 5 in total. I assuming Ginn is the odd man you wanted out or as a returner?

I would look to keep Cam on if he's healthy.

Hey Cooly was just cut, he's no top notch blocker IMO but a pass catcher TE we could get? unless he's been picked up already lol...

Sorry, I was going up and down and up and down and lost track of the count. 6 WRs would bump Cartwright from the roster.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Davis has been getting work at TE and moved around. I think that keeps him on the squad.

I figure Looney is the victim of Dobbs' injury. Since Dobbs will likely miss a couple weeks, that means we need a DL/OLB (Bakhtiari) and a TE (Reuland).

When Dobbs is healthy, I would cut at least one of those two and elevate Looney from the PS to the active roster.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Brock could lose his spot to Thomas, Robinson or both. (+)2

I was looking for a way to cut Brock after last weeks performance, but I can't see us going into the season with only 4 CBs. Keeping a safety that isn't a tweener leaves us too shallow at CB. I would hate to have to pick up a CB off the street midseason that is worse than Brock, and unfamiliar with our defense. He makes the roster as part of a numbers game more than anything else.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My only differences from imac's:

I have 1 more OL (9) - Looney added.

I didn't have McBath making it and I had Trenton Robinson and Colin Jones making it. Robinson for STs/depth and Jones primarily for special teams.

Initially I had Cartwright making it over Dixon but I changed it when I heard Roman speak on Dixon.

I don't have an initial list made up for PS yet.

I would have no problem subbing Robinson for McBath at S and keeping Jones for ST. The reason I kept McBath is I seem to notice him around the ball more than anyone else in preseason.

Looney is the victim of Dobbs' injury (explained 2 or 3 posts above).

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the final roster cut date

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would have no problem subbing Robinson for McBath at S and keeping Jones for ST. The reason I kept McBath is I seem to notice him around the ball more than anyone else in preseason.

Looney is the victim of Dobbs' injury (explained 2 or 3 posts above).

Fair enough. It wouldn't shock me if he were kept instead of one of those two. He does have a connection with Ed Donatell from Denver that might factor in a little bit somewhere.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final cut day!

After seeing LMJ returning kicks last night, Ginn has got to be on the bubble.