• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Filling out the roster

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Trojanfan12. Speaking of Sacre, I am glad he signed up again because the guy wants to play for the Lakers and he is going to surprise some people this year especially if Madsen becomes an assistant coach. I think he may be a good player to watch and he may develop into a pretty good big. This could be real good with Pau, Kaman, and Sacre!

Yeah, I agree about Sacre!! I don't see him ever being a starter, but I think he can be a very solid bench player which is good because our older guys are going to need it!!

I don't see this team contending for anything (maybe a low playoff seed) but I think they will be fun to watch, will play hard and most important (as has been pointed out), they WANT to be here!!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the plan isn't to tank then we're going to need Metta, or someone like Ariza because we cannot afford to have Kobe as our #1 perimeter defender AND #1 scoring option. He won't be able to maintain that.

Now that we have 4 decent guards in Meeks, Farmar, Blake and Nash, is the plan to skip out on the SF position and throw Kobe in there? Much to early to assume but something that caught my curiousity.

though he'd be a tad short for it, yes i could see Kobe sliding over to the 3. guess we'll see what they wanna do...

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no matter the roster, we're Lakers Nation and going to support team even in uncharted waters.

love the Farmar signing too and agree Sacre is going to surprise if given more PT

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the plan isn't to tank then we're going to need Metta, or someone like Ariza because we cannot afford to have Kobe as our #1 perimeter defender AND #1 scoring option. He won't be able to maintain that.

Now that we have 4 decent guards in Meeks, Farmar, Blake and Nash, is the plan to skip out on the SF position and throw Kobe in there? Much to early to assume but something that caught my curiousity.

I don't think they plan on tanking. I think it is simply a financial decision. They must feel that they can get similar production from a minimum contract player. Maggette said today on 710 that he would sign for one.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though he'd be a tad short for it, yes i could see Kobe sliding over to the 3. guess we'll see what they wanna do...

Depending on how he comes back from the Achilles, it might be the best spot for him!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TrojansFan12, LakersUSCBAM and Lakersrule. Kobe might make a pretty good three especially with all of the guards we now have on the roster and we may sign Morris and Goudelock. I like the Maggette idea as well. Another player I recently heard on the tube saying he'd love to be a Laker!!

There is an emerging theme here. Great chemistry leads to players who want to play hard and win and good things begin to happen when players have great chemistry. This is really developing nicely and I agree that they are not tanking anything just yet!

Davwy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TrojansFan12, LakersUSCBAM and Lakersrule. Kobe might make a pretty good three especially with all of the guards we now have on the roster and we may sign Morris and Goudelock. I like the Maggette idea as well. Another player I recently heard on the tube saying he'd love to be a Laker!!

There is an emerging theme here. Great chemistry leads to players who want to play hard and win and good things begin to happen when players have great chemistry. This is really developing nicely and I agree that they are not tanking anything just yet!

You're right about you're earlier post about he signings being guys who played on the Lakers previously being a plus. But they want to play for the Lakers and be in Los Angeles.

Jordan is from the Valley and went to UCLA. The Lakers bought out the rest of his contract and he's taking less money to play for the veteran min. (the buyout doesn't count against the Lakers' salary cap. He's really more expensive than the 1 million contract, but there is no tax money). He's not chasing a ring because he has one.

If Odom comes, we know he loves Los Angeles and prefers the Lakers over the Clippers. And his entire family and show biz career is here. And he's not chasing a ring.

Kaman live in Los Angeles and played for the Clippers. I don't think any elite teams were after him. He likes Los Angeles. And it's nice to have a real back-to-the-basket real center as a back-up. And good when not injured. Not a big defensive guy, but can score, which you don't find in many back-up.

And Cory Magette, expressed interest. Has lived in Los Angeles for almost a decade with the Clippers. Might still have a home here. Today on ESPN LA radio, he was talking about how special it is to play for the Lakers, couldn't understand why his boy Dwight would leave. So, he was lobbing for himself and knows it would be for the vets minimum.

Some of the veteran small forwards that were posted earlier as possible Laker targets may not come if they are targeting teams with the chance of grabbing a ring.

Let's just call this the Lake Show Band Rival Tour. Before each game, The Eagles should perform as the opening act.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Love it Davwy!! The Lake Show Band Rival Tour and the Eagles. Great name and combo. You better file for licensing rights on those names! lol. You might make a ton of cash.

But yea Davwy, I like what is developing in Lakersland and if Maggette signs along with Odom, D. Morris and they bring back Goudelock, I like the roster. Pretty darn good one for the financial straights we are in and fairly competitive on a nightly basis.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Bynum signs with the Cavs. A 2-year deal. Apparently the contract is dependent on his health and he is bored with doing weed. The Cavs are protecting themselves. If Bynum can't play because of bad knees, it voids the contract and no second year. He is going to play with Earl Clark and Mike Brown. Oh well.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Young is also being mentioned as a possible signing. I've never been a big fan of his game, but the Lakers could use his offense especially if Kobe misses many games. He's another LA guy. Played well last season as a 6th man with Philly.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Lakersrule. The Lakers have been negotiating with Nick Young. And he is another guy who WANTS to play for the Lakers. I think they should re-sign Morris and Goudelock as well.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Lakersrule. The Lakers have been negotiating with Nick Young. And he is another guy who WANTS to play for the Lakers. I think they should re-sign Morris and Goudelock as well.

That might be a few too many guards on the team :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young could play the 3 in MDA's offense as well. I think the 2 and 3 spots are relatively similar on offense. Young couldn't guard the bigger 3's though.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the bench fixed is a great start to the off season. Now to fix the SF position and I think the year will be pretty decent.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm beginning to wonder if what some of you were saying/speculating is right. could it be that Jeannie/Phil/Mitch are the ones stepping up here...?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CL67. According to my friend in LA, the sports talk radio circuit has mentioned it a time or two and from what I know, I am fairly certain this new direction has her's and Phil's stamp on it in conjunction with Mitch. Apparently, the embarrassment caused by Howard stiffing the Lakers was too much for Jeannie and she accepted the provision in her father's will and has stepped in bring Phil with her-since they are engaged.

Apparently, they are rebuilding their scouting department that dumbass Short Buss dismantled when he took the reins. These moves are just the first step and this club won't be too far down to compete in a significant manner in the coming season. Again, they aren't tanking anything!!

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CL67. According to my friend in LA, the sports talk radio circuit has mentioned it a time or two and from what I know, I am fairly certain this new direction has her's and Phil's stamp on it in conjunction with Mitch. Apparently, the embarrassment caused by Howard stiffing the Lakers was too much for Jeannie and she accepted the provision in her father's will and has stepped in bring Phil with her-since they are engaged.

Apparently, they are rebuilding their scouting department that dumbass Short Buss dismantled when he took the reins. These moves are just the first step and this club won't be too far down to compete in a significant manner in the coming season. Again, they aren't tanking anything!!

wonder if there's any stories out there on this if they're not trying to keep it all on the down-low. not doubting your word, but man, if this IS the case it's GREAT news...

Davwy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder if there's any stories out there on this if they're not trying to keep it all on the down-low. not doubting your word, but man, if this IS the case it's GREAT news...

Lakers management has always been a close society, so you won't hear too much about it unless it's leaked.

Also, via ESPN LA Radio, don't remember who was saying this, but when they were talking about Jeanie taking over, they mentioned that last season, when the Lakers were losing, Jeanine, along with the rest the Buss family met with Jim and asked him to fire D'Antoni. Right after that, the Lakers went on a winning streak and D'Antoni came back and he couldn't fire D'Antoni because they were now winning.

I can understand how that would be difficult, but very short-sighted. It seems like he wanted to prove he was right in his decision. Jerry Buss would have fired him.

In 1981, Jerry Buss fired Paul Westhead after the team started 7-4. Nevermind that the Westhead won the Finals for the Lakers in the 1980s. Finals, lost in the 1981 Conference Finals before that. I remember watching those early games when they went 7-4 and thinking they were winning, but it didn't seem easy and dominating like they should. In fact, the Lakers were on a 5 game winning streak when Dr. Buss fired Westhead and brought in Riley. How about that? That's some confidence there. Yes, Magic wasn't getting alone with how Westhead was running the offense and got the blame for the firing from the public, but Dr. Buss always said it wasn't Magic, but his decision. But he was right. Riley changed the way the Lakers were playing and went on to win a ring.

A lot of these players also probably realize that next year the Lakers are going for big prizes in the free agent market and know the Lakers can actually resign them for more money next year even if they go over the salary cap with the signing of two big free agents and Kobe.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the news with Odom? He still thinking about doing the 1 year min? I googled it but it seems he's making news today for trashing some papparazi's car (LOL).