• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
July is a terrible month for football news, though. Places are running articles like "ranking teams' alternate helmets."

would it be fair to add 'people are overly confident in day 3 RB's projected usage' to that list?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"There's a scenario in which" ... lol.

July is a terrible month for football news, though. Places are running articles like "ranking teams' alternate helmets."

Pretty sure Allgeier will lead the team in carries, though, so it's not just a "scenario." Patterson only had 153 attempts last year and that was a career high. Davis had 138 and the other two RBs 49.

Question is, does he lead the team with 140 carries or with 240?
I think one thing that's being dismissed far too easily in the Algeier discussion is Dam. Williams. Now, I'm sure not saying that he's a big contender for the 'lead' role, but, he's certainly a capable NFL back, in all faucets of the game, just like Mike Davis was. And another issue that needs to be factored in, the QB is now a mobile QB, more in the mold of Murray or Lamar than a McNabb or RW. So I'm sure there will be more QB rush attempts than the 40 that Ryan was credited with last year.

The Falcons as a team had 393 attempts. So if Cpat gets 100-125, Dam WIllaims gets around 50-75, Marriota likely gets 50-75, And Q. Ollison gets another 25-40..thats 225-315 carries already accounted for, ion an offense that is more likely than not to be playing from behind even more than they did last year..really only leaves around a 75-125 carries for the rook.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one thing that's being dismissed far too easily in the Algeier discussion is Dam. Williams. Now, I'm sure not saying that he's a big contender for the 'lead' role, but, he's certainly a capable NFL back, in all faucets of the game, just like Mike Davis was. And another issue that needs to be factored in, the QB is now a mobile QB, more in the mold of Murray or Lamar than a McNabb or RW. So I'm sure there will be more QB rush attempts than the 40 that Ryan was credited with last year.

The Falcons as a team had 393 attempts. So if Cpat gets 100-125, Dam WIllaims gets around 50-75, Marriota likely gets 50-75, And Q. Ollison gets another 25-40..thats 225-315 carries already accounted for, ion an offense that is more likely than not to be playing from behind even more than they did last year..really only leaves around a 75-125 carries for the rook.

another factor besides them being projected to be bad this year is their last 2 premium draft picks - would be a damn crime to spend that kind of capital on Pitts and London only to feature a 4th round RB

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another factor besides them being projected to be bad this year is their last 2 premium draft picks - would be a damn crime to spend that kind of capital on Pitts and London only to feature a 4th round RB
very much so..I was intending on adding that in, but plain forgot about it once I started writing it. Pitts/London/Edwards is significantly better than Pitts/Gage/and Z-whatever, so you'd like to think they'd be intending on utilizing thses guys more than the previous year's version

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justyn Ross going to IR, gonna miss all of the season

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're going from Ryan to Mariota/Ridder you're likely to call more run plays. They really ran very little last year, and it's not like Arthur Smith doesn't know how to use a back when he has one.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going from Ryan to Mariota/Ridder you're likely to call more run plays. They really ran very little last year, and it's not like Arthur Smith doesn't know how to use a back when he has one.

Falcons were trailing on 56% of their called plays last year (560 out of 1006 snaps) and dialed up a rush on just over 1/3 of those plays, and avg under 4ypc in all game situations.

Rush attempts/total plays
when leading: 43%
tied: 45%
trailing: 36%

1658791687440.png

if you are trailing, you will be passing, and Allgeier isn't going to get the passing down role over Patterson and Williams. Only way for RBs to excel for fantasy when their actual team sucks is to have a significant % of the snaps/touches, especially the passing game work. I think many would be surprised if they get more than the 7 wins they posted last year with Ryan now that they have Mariota/Ridder at the helm this year. Arthur Smith track record with Derrick Henry being supported by that Titans D isn't a very good comparison to glean any insight for this year's Falcons, imo

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons were trailing on 56% of their called plays last year (560 out of 1006 snaps) and dialed up a rush on just over 1/3 of those plays, and avg under 4ypc in all game situations.

Rush attempts/total plays
when leading: 43%
tied: 45%
trailing: 36%

View attachment 303059

if you are trailing, you will be passing, and Allgeier isn't going to get the passing down role over Patterson and Williams. Only way for RBs to excel for fantasy when their actual team sucks is to have a significant % of the snaps/touches, especially the passing game work. I think many would be surprised if they get more than the 7 wins they posted last year with Ryan now that they have Mariota/Ridder at the helm this year. Arthur Smith track record with Derrick Henry being supported by that Titans D isn't a very good comparison to glean any insight for this year's Falcons, imo
Wasn't much better when they were leading.

Falcons have a very different team this year. I'm interested to see where Smith takes them. I'll bet they have 50 more run plays this year than last.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Arthur Smith...yeah he absolutely knows how to ride a RB...when he has one...
The issue is, he's got 1 year as HC, and 2 as OC to look at, and the RB he had, was Derrick Henry. 681 carries in those two years.
None of these dudes suggest anything remotely conjuring thoughts of Henry, so?

The biggest question is, does he have a guy to lean on? That will have to be seen, and I have my doubts as Algeier certainly was nothing special coming out. Built some big numbers, but literally played NO ONE, outside of Baylor and Utah, and he had 42 for 135 (3.42ypc) in those two combined. Dude had almost 270 (16% of his yardage for the year) and 5 scores (21% of his total) in one game, against VA, who finished 123rd of 130 teams in rush D

He's just not impressive.

I would've thought that a guy who turned two years of handing the ball to King Henry into a head coaching gig, would understand the importance of the position, as it relates to how he himaelf has succeeded, and would've signed/drafted a true potential stud.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Arthur Smith...yeah he absolutely knows how to ride a RB...when he has one...
The issue is, he's got 1 year as HC, and 2 as OC to look at, and the RB he had, was Derrick Henry. 681 carries in those two years.
None of these dudes suggest anything remotely conjuring thoughts of Henry, so?

The biggest question is, does he have a guy to lean on? That will have to be seen, and I have my doubts as Algeier certainly was nothing special coming out. Built some big numbers, but literally played NO ONE, outside of Baylor and Utah, and he had 42 for 135 (3.42ypc) in those two combined. Dude had almost 270 (16% of his yardage for the year) and 5 scores (21% of his total) in one game, against VA, who finished 123rd of 130 teams in rush D

He's just not impressive.

I would've thought that a guy who turned two years of handing the ball to King Henry into a head coaching gig, would understand the importance of the position, as it relates to how he himaelf has succeeded, and would've signed/drafted a true potential stud.
That's why I'm really surprised, especially after being so terrible last year, that they didn't sign a free agent this year. Now maybe it's because there really weren't any difference makers in this free agent class plus they knew that they would be rebuilding anyway and didn't want to throw away money. But then again they threw $5,000,000 at Patterson which seems ridiculous. I think the main problem is going to be that by the time they are in a place that any free agent would want to go there, Arthur Smith won't be there anymore and it won't be his fault because the team will have given him no chance to succeed.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Carson has retired.

too bad, dude was maximum effort, %100 of the time. was fun to watch
Yep... sad to see him go but totally understandable. Dude has been through quite the injury ringer.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, revival? With Reek and Waddle around?? Funny
Lol. I've always been a low-key fan of Cedrick Wilson.

And Sanu was a highschool QB... Maybe Tua's in trouble

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Murray is starting to have a Jamarcus Russell aroma. Having to put a clause like this in a contract is a major red flag for me.