• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Exum Wants to Play for Lakers!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, you (based on Vegas odds) had the Lakers at around #9 or #10 in the West. Jumping from 9 or 10 to 7 or 8, doesn't require adding Lebron. It requires a solid FA or 2 and improvement from some of the existing young guys.

The addition of James would be required to be a contender next season, not to make the playoffs.

True on the seeding, but the(my) win % prediction was still around .500, which in the West just won't seem to fly.

If you recall, I said I felt they would win about 2/3 at home and 1/3 on the road.

And like you keep pointing out, nobody knows, we are all just offering opinions (even though I know you feel mine wouldn't be missed).

To simplify, IMO, if you are in the East, we aren't having this discussion.
My assumptions are more based on the West being loaded then the Lakers necessarily sucking.

I just don't see any of the top 6 fading and the competition right below that is comprised of some pretty decent NBA rosters who are all also trying to improve.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm.

Injuries had ZERO to do with pre season Vegas predictions.

While of course they had an impact on you becoming the 15 seed, as TF pointed out, the peak of your season was at 10-9.

I predicted you not to suck. I said 'around.500', which still isn't sniffing playoffs.

Looking back now, IMO .500 wasn't even realistic because the West is so tough top to bottom.

What im saying is, we argued those vegas predictions, before all the injuries happened.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trojanfan12

Wow, you sure went to a lot of trouble to be so far off.

No one said it's like a pizza company. However, there are reasons that teams keep winning titles despite multiple changes in ownership. The ingredients may change, but the end product is still a team that wins titles.

Examples of teams that have done this? Which teams in the last 30-40yrs has had 3 or 4 changes in ownership but continue to win titles (plural)? Besides, it doesn't matter if ownership changes hands or not. To make it sound as easy as you're making it to be.... is you just clinging on what happen in the past.

You're trying to give reasons why the Lakers can't/won't win titles any time soon. Yet you ignore the fact that the Lakers (and other franchises in sports) manage to win titles despite changes in ownership. Why is it that some franchises can change owners and continue winning titles and others can't?

I never said it is impossible for LA to win a title anytime soon. But some of you guys think just because it's been done before it's going to happen again before you blink. It's not every year that Kareem gets traded to you, win a coin flip to get Magic, get the first overall pick (via trade) the year after winning a title to get Worthy, get Shaq in free agency, Kobe demand to play for Lakers, Pau get handed to you for Kwame etc..etc...etc..

No cap in baseball and it being played in the summer months? That's not even worth a reply. Talk about grasping at straws

Not grasping at all. Comparing what can be done and needs to be done to win in the MLB compared to the NBA isn't even close to being the same.

The comparison I was using was far from pointless. I was using what has happened with the Dodgers to back up the point about owners facing an unhappy fanbase and losing revenue putting pressure on new owners to continue the previous owners success. Sorry the concept was too difficult for you to grasp.

Why use the Dodgers as an example? They have won an NL pennant or a World series since 1988. Their new ownership group just took over in 2012. It's not like they were recently relevant before McCourt bought the team in 2004 and fucked them all up.

Of course things come to an end and then new things start. The 70's Lakers ended and then Showtime started, Showtime ended and then we had Shaq/Kobe. Shaq/Kobe ended and we got Kobe/Gasol. The next chapter is yet to be decided.

Folks like you want it to be a long period of irrelevance, so of course that's what you're going to predict. Lakers fans like me, want a return to contention asap and that is what we're going to predict. End of the day, none of us knows what the hell is going to happen until it all plays out.

The last 2 quotes is all we are saying. You guys think it's automatic that you're going to go right back into contention and start winning titles soon. Lakers went from 1989 to 1999-00 between titles. That's not a short time. Remember, you're the one who always says "Lakers fans aren't happy to get to the playoffs. It's title or bust."

So regardless how many times they get to the playoffs in the next 10yrs or whatever....no titles = failure in your book. Nothing is good about a season that ends w/o a title.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What im saying is, we argued those vegas predictions, before all the injuries happened.

True.

And Vegas predictions certainly aren't always correct.

The reason I mentioned them today was because TLF said that there was and would be no reason to assume my opinion was more valid then his.

So, to me, if the Vegas opinion is they are not a top 8 team in the West, it would validate my opinion.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True on the seeding, but the(my) win % prediction was still around .500, which in the West just won't seem to fly.

If you recall, I said I felt they would win about 2/3 at home and 1/3 on the road.

Considering that the #10 seed in the West is exactly at .500, I'd say that your pre-injury prediction may have proven to be pretty accurate. Unfortunately, we're never going to know. That's why I think it won't take the addition of Lebron to get to the playoffs next season. Just a solid FA or 2, some improvement from the young guys and some health.

And like you keep pointing out, nobody knows, we are all just offering opinions (even though I know you feel mine wouldn't be missed).

Exactly. We all have our predictions and none of us can claim to be completely unbiased and everyone has some valid points to back their assertions.

I just don't see any of the top 6 fading and the competition right below that is comprised of some pretty decent NBA rosters who are all also trying to improve.

You may not see it, but it happens every year for various reasons. Some teams come out of nowhere and perform much better than expected (see Portland) and others, for various reasons, don't perform as well (see Memphis currently at #9). All teams are pretty much one bad injury or player defection from falling out of contention for the playoffs or title.

By the same token, teams can turn their fortunes around pretty quickly with a shrewd trade or FA signing. League wide, I think the next couple of seasons are shaping up to see some fairly interesting/significant changes.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not see it, but it happens every year for various reasons. Some teams come out of nowhere and perform much better than expected (see Portland) and others, for various reasons, don't perform as well (see Memphis currently at #9). All teams are pretty much one bad injury or player defection from falling out of contention for the playoffs or title.

By the same token, teams can turn their fortunes around pretty quickly with a shrewd trade or FA signing. League wide, I think the next couple of seasons are shaping up to see some fairly interesting/significant changes.

A Good example is look at how well Denver played last season & was one of the hottest team's in the NBA. Now they won't even make the playoffs this season.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Good example is look at how well Denver played last season & was one of the hottest team's in the NBA. Now they won't even make the playoffs this season.

Very good example, and to the other extreme, look at Phoenix.
A lot of experts had them battling for the worst record in the NBA.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as next season goes , does everyone agree that Nash has played his last game in the NBA?

I hate to see his career end like it likely has, but there just is no way to justify paying him 9M next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trojanfan12

Examples of teams that have done this? Which teams in the last 30-40yrs has had 3 or 4 changes in ownership but continue to win titles (plural)? Besides, it doesn't matter if ownership changes hands or not. To make it sound as easy as you're making it to be.... is you just clinging on what happen in the past.

Examples have already been provided and I never said it would be easy. Go back and re-read.

I never said it is impossible for LA to win a title anytime soon. But some of you guys think just because it's been done before it's going to happen again before you blink. It's not every year that Kareem gets traded to you, win a coin flip to get Magic, get the first overall pick (via trade) the year after winning a title to get Worthy, get Shaq in free agency, Kobe demand to play for Lakers, Pau get handed to you for Kwame etc..etc...etc..

I didn't say you said it was impossible. I like how you quote me and then claim and then change the quote in your response.

Not grasping at all. Comparing what can be done and needs to be done to win in the MLB compared to the NBA isn't even close to being the same.

Why use the Dodgers as an example? They have won an NL pennant or a World series since 1988. Their new ownership group just took over in 2012. It's not like they were recently relevant before McCourt bought the team in 2004 and fucked them all up.

Already explained this, go back and re-read.

The last 2 quotes is all we are saying. You guys think it's automatic that you're going to go right back into contention and start winning titles soon. Lakers went from 1989 to 1999-00 between titles. That's not a short time. Remember, you're the one who always says "Lakers fans aren't happy to get to the playoffs. It's title or bust."

And there you go again putting words in people's mouths. No one has said it's automatic. What we have said is that the Lakers have been through times before and have always figured it out and gotten back in contention fairly quickly.

The fact that Lakers fans aren't happy just get to the playoffs is part of the reason that the Lakers tend to figure things out and get back into contention fairly quickly. They know that Lakers fans expect contenders and there will be lots of complaints and a decrease in revenue if they don't appear to be moving in the right direction.

So regardless how many times they get to the playoffs in the next 10yrs or whatever....no titles = failure in your book. Nothing is good about a season that ends w/o a title.

That's right and as stated above, that's why management typically responds. After the Showtime Lakers began retiring, there was an expected drop off for a couple of seasons, then Lakers fans began to complain.

There is a pattern where the Lakers are contenders for several seasons, then inevitably dropoff as players get older/retire. We are patient for a couple of seasons and if we don't seem to be moving in the right direction, then we begin to complain. Management/ownership responds and we are happy again.

It will be the same now. We will be patient for a couple of seasons, but if things don't seem to be moving in the right direction, we will start complaining again.

I understand that makes us a very spoiled fanbase, but I think most teams fanbases would love to be spoiled by their team like the Lakers fanbase is.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as next season goes , does everyone agree that Nash has played his last game in the NBA?

I hate to see his career end like it likely has, but there just is no way to justify paying him 9M next year.

It's sure looking that way. I hate to see it too. As I've shared before, I've always been a Nash fan and wanted him to be a Laker for years. Sucks that we get him and his body falls apart on him.

He will exhaust every possible avenue to get back on the court, but in my non-medical/non-expert opinion, I'd say he has a 25-30% chance (and that might be generous). I think that the best shot for him to be a contributing member of the team would be for him to retire and the Lakers hire him as an assistant to work with our young point guards.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They'll pay him, whether he plays some or not. I don't think they'll stretch him. I think they'd rather see his whole salary off the books than stretch it for an additional two seasons. Next season won't be much different than this one. Better to bite the bullet and preserve the cap space for the summer of 2015.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Completely forgot about them. Good example.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Nash, how is it possible he didn't know about the stretch provision?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Nash, how is it possible he didn't know about the stretch provision?

I doubt any of these guys have complete knowledge of everything that is in their contracts or what options are available to teams under the cba. That's what their agents are there for.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was a funny moment in that second Nash installment. I don't see it happening. Preserve as much cap space as possible for 2015.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't aware that he wasn't aware.

I must have missed the story.

Anyway.
Time to ( hopefully) go filet some Bobcats.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind when anybody else talk crap, but its funny when you do it. You talk a lot of shit, but you was always the first one to complain to the mods on cbs, getting people warned. You just had a sissy fit, when Hurrishit called you out about being a child ******er messing with little boys.

FUCK YOU BITCH

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record - since I have never been convicted of any crime whatsoever - what Hurrishit said wasn't calling me out - IT WAS SLANDER AS IN I COULD SUE THE LITTLE WHORE