• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Exum Wants to Play for Lakers!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said the Lakers would be a bottom feeding franchise.

I am simply stating that due to current situations players are coming to LA for money, not because they think they will be winning a ring for the next 2 years. After that it all can change but not even the owners thought they were going to contend with this version of Kobe. They have the money to wiggle around the contract but it would be difficult.

And yes, I know that Jerry Buss is not the only owner of the LA Lakers. Please explain to me how past Laker ownership means that current Laker ownership will win titles?

@TLF If Kobe or Gasol make the playoffs again in a Lakers uniform I will never post on this forum again, are you will to make the same bet?

Because it's a tradition that gets carried on. The new owner knows they have to compete with the previous ownerships success or they will be dealing with an unhappy fanbase and loss of revenue.

Think about it. How many different owners have the Yankees had? How many World Series have they won?

Heck, Dodgers fans have driven out 2 ownership groups since the O'Malley's because they haven't won a World Series since '88. This, even though, they have had what many other franchises would consider several successful seasons over that time.

The current Lakers ownership knows all too well what the Lakers history is. They have lived it for most of their lives. Do you think the ownership isn't aware of all of the criticism they are receiving from Lakers fans, the media and even non-Lakers fans? Do you think they have no interest in changing that?

Interesting that fans of teams with little or no history can't seem to grasp why history is important?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said the Lakers would be a bottom feeding franchise.

I am simply stating that due to current situations players are coming to LA for money, not because they think they will be winning a ring for the next 2 years. After that it all can change but not even the owners thought they were going to contend with this version of Kobe. They have the money to wiggle around the contract but it would be difficult.

And yes, I know that Jerry Buss is not the only owner of the LA Lakers. Please explain to me how past Laker ownership means that current Laker ownership will win titles?

@TLF If Kobe or Gasol make the playoffs again in a Lakers uniform I will never post on this forum again, are you will to make the same bet?

Let's wait and see if Gasol resigns with the Lakers this summer- then I might take that bet. It's really simple if you think about - granted it's not certain, but if the Lakers gets a Blake Griffin or Lebron type player in the draft, then sign two really good players, they could be contenders next season easily and there is no question about them making the playoffs. The Lakers have the money to sign so the money is not the issue. The issue is how to sign and trade and get the players that will end them over the salary cap legally. The Lakers have no problem paying the luxary taxes thanks to Time Warner Cable

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to add that if ownership or the players think that this version of Kobe is going to be a major contributer on a contending roster then they are a poor judge of talent, situations or are just plane old homers and Laker fans have a lot more to worry about with current ownership than any of us thought.

No one, not you, not me, not anyone else, knows what "this version of Kobe" can or cannot contribute and we won't know until he plays. I will say that he was starting to look better than I expected before he broke his leg.

Also, no one is necessarily counting on Kobe to deliver a title. The Lakers will be looking to add players that can hopefully compete for a title before Kobe retires and definitely for after he retires.

And of course, non-Lakers fans are going to predict for worst case and Lakers fans will predict for best case, so neither can exactly claim a "non-biased" opinion.

Bottom line, we'll all have to see what happens when he comes back before we'll know exactly how much he can contribute.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys make very good points about the major market of LA, there is another LA option now though.

@TLF, just say you won't take the bet or take the bet. You are counting on Gasol as part of your contending team but you do not even know if he is going to resign?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hint about Gasol though, he said his #1 concern is contending, let's see where he goes :D

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's wait and see if Gasol resigns with the Lakers this summer- then I might take that bet. It's really simple if you think about - granted it's not certain, but if the Lakers gets a Blake Griffin or Lebron type player in the draft, then sign two really good players, they could be contenders next season easily and there is no question about them making the playoffs. The Lakers have the money to sign so the money is not the issue. The issue is how to sign and trade and get the players that will end them over the salary cap legally. The Lakers have no problem paying the luxary taxes thanks to Time Warner Cable

Exactly, too bad no matter how hard Botslayer tries to think of a coherent thought to say on this matter, it still becomes irrelevant. You're are right too many year's of drug abuse have really disabled his clarity of thinking. :der:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys make very good points about the major market of LA, there is another LA option now though.

@TLF, just say you won't take the bet or take the bet. You are counting on Gasol as part of your contending team but you do not even know if he is going to resign?

There would be no point in taking that bet unless Gasol returns to the Lakers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clippers don't have any serious cap space until 2018/19 though. They can only get good players through trade and I don't see them giving up guys like CP3, Griffin or Jordan any time soon.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That option has been there before, it never lasts. No reason to think it's going to suddenly change. Sterling has had top talent in the past, but when FA time comes, he never wants to pony up the cash.

As the current group of players come up for FA, he will likely let most of them walk.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That option has been there before, it never lasts. No reason to think it's going to suddenly change. Sterling has had top talent in the past, but when FA time comes, he never wants to pony up the cash.

As the current group of players come up for FA, he will likely let most of them walk.

Besides that the Clippers are still looking for their first championship ever after 20 years of first round draft picks, and about 30 coaches fired and blamed for everything. The Lakers are looking to add their inventory and I am betting the Lakers will their next before the Clippers gets their first

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Yankees have won only one championship this century and we are 15 years into it. Sorry guys, history means squat, see Boston Celtics who until 1990 pretty much dominated the sport.

The Boston ownership changed from the father to the son, still same family but a different brain who just wanted to market Boston, not build a deep strategy.

Right now I think your desires to fall back on what your past is all you have to grasp on, versus argue what changes are needed now

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Laker fans are acting like I am saying that LAL is never going to be relevant again. All I am saying is that you won't be contending until Kobe is retired.

Get over it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Laker fans are acting like I am saying that LAL is never going to be relevant again. All I am saying is that you won't be contending until Kobe is retired.

Get over it.

So, you post something that Lakers fans disagree with, we post why we disagree and we need to "get over it"?

Perhaps a better solution would be for you to just avoid posting anything about the Lakers if you don't like having your opinion challenged.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Challenge my opinion all you want but don't put words in my mouth when you are wrong.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Challenge my opinion all you want but don't put words in my mouth when you are wrong.

When did anyone put words in your mouth? All that I've seen is posters challenge your opinion with opinions of their own. Isn't that kind of the point of a message board discussion?

As for someone else's opinion being wrong: This discussion has been about potential future events. Since it's about things that have not happened, it's impossible for anyone to be wrong right now.

Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that you are butthurt because your opinion has been challenged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's a tradition that gets carried on. The new owner knows they have to compete with the previous ownerships success or they will be dealing with an unhappy fanbase and loss of revenue.

This isn't a pizza company who's new owner knows that you don't deviate from the original recipe, because the ingredients will always be there. It's quite the opposite when it comes to running a team. You don't always readily have the available the key ingredients / players it takes to be a contender and carry on that tradition.

Think about it. How many different owners have the Yankees had? How many World Series have they won?

There's no cap in baseball.....plus the MLB is played in the summer months. It's not that hard of decision for players to sign where and when they get offered the most money and have to deal with bad weather less.

Heck, Dodgers fans have driven out 2 ownership groups since the O'Malley's because they haven't won a World Series since '88. This, even though, they have had what many other franchises would consider several successful seasons over that time.
Comparing the NBA to the MLB is pointless

The current Lakers ownership knows all too well what the Lakers history is. They have lived it for most of their lives. Do you think the ownership isn't aware of all of the criticism they are receiving from Lakers fans, the media and even non-Lakers fans? Do you think they have no interest in changing that?
Of course they have interest in changing because they did get on their hands and knees and begged Howard to sign a max deal. But because they want to provide a contender, doesn't mean they can.

Interesting that fans of teams with little or no history can't seem to grasp why history is important?

I'm sure Celtics, Spurs and Bulls fans know all about history, but they also know reality. All good things can come to an end.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Celtics, Spurs and Bulls fans know all about history, but they also know reality. All good things can come to an end.

Wow, you sure went to a lot of trouble to be so far off.

No one said it's like a pizza company. However, there are reasons that teams keep winning titles despite multiple changes in ownership. The ingredients may change, but the end product is still a team that wins titles. You're trying to give reasons why the Lakers can't/won't win titles any time soon. Yet you ignore the fact that the Lakers (and other franchises in sports) manage to win titles despite changes in ownership. Why is it that some franchises can change owners and continue winning titles and others can't?

No cap in baseball and it being played in the summer months? That's not even worth a reply. Talk about grasping at straws.

The comparison I was using was far from pointless. I was using what has happened with the Dodgers to back up the point about owners facing an unhappy fanbase and losing revenue putting pressure on new owners to continue the previous owners success. Sorry the concept was too difficult for you to grasp.

Of course things come to an end and then new things start. The 70's Lakers ended and then Showtime started, Showtime ended and then we had Shaq/Kobe. Shaq/Kobe ended and we got Kobe/Gasol. The next chapter is yet to be decided.

Folks like you want it to be a long period of irrelevance, so of course that's what you're going to predict. Lakers fans like me, want a return to contention asap and that is what we're going to predict. End of the day, none of us knows what the hell is going to happen until it all plays out.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps all things came to an end for the Bulls and Celtics, but that's bullshit for the Lakers. We are superior human beings than the rest of you all and we expect more. Good times are ahead and the Lakers are going to have some more good times and championships in the future. An end to championships is for losers like the Chicago Bulls and the Celtics.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps all things came to an end for the Bulls and Celtics, but that's bullshit for the Lakers. We are superior human beings than the rest of you all and we expect more. Good times are ahead and the Lakers are going to have some more good times and championships in the future. An end to championships is for losers like the Chicago Bulls and the Celtics.

:L