• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Everything and Anything Superhero-Related

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not read @CarlSr post because it looked like it was going to contain spoilers.

Guys, if you are going to post about a movie that has just been released in the last couple days, be human and either use spoiler tags, or create a thread about the movie so that others who did not camp out to it on opening night can still enjoy the movie.

If there were no spoilers in the post, I apologize.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the movie did a pretty good job of sticking to the spirit of the comics but it obviously doesn't/can't stick to it if for no other reason because they can't legally use the mutant stuff. I think this is going to turn some folks off to it, but I think we have to keep in mind that they're gearing up for something bigger than anyone has yet to try and I think that's where they're going to leave all their cards on the table.

Overall this really felt more like Captain America 3/Avengers 2.5 as well as a vehicle leading us into the new Spiderman, Black Panther, and the Infinity Wars movies. It's a little Empire Strikes Back-ish in that they don't put a nice bow on everything, essentialy hitting the reset button at then end while everyone enjoys some shawarma. In this movie, you really see some more development of the characters and their stories, going all the way back to the first Iron Man movie. You also leave the universe with it being very evident that everything isn't okay and things are never going to be quite the same.

It certainly wasn't flawless, but they did a pretty good job of trying to give everyone some screen time and there weren't many instances where I felt it was forced. The humor didn't derail it either. They probably nailed it about as wel as they ever have. They kept a fairly dark tone, but they still gave us some moments of levity, especially with Spiderman and Ant-man.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not read @CarlSr post because it looked like it was going to contain spoilers.

Guys, if you are going to post about a movie that has just been released in the last couple days, be human and either use spoiler tags, or create a thread about the movie so that others who did not camp out to it on opening night can still enjoy the movie.

If there were no spoilers in the post, I apologize.

I think I left it pretty spoiler-free, so hopefully nobody feels otherwise. :hope:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first hour of Civil War made me want to fall asleep. Should be called Captain America: Civil Exposition. 2nd half was alright, the action was good. Spiderman was cool and Black Panther was surprisingly bad ass.

Overall better than Age of Ultron but watching paint dry is also better than Age of Ultron. I give it a 7/10.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that while not adhering very much to the source material, these are still quite fun.

Looking forward to Apocalypse.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Civil War was similar to Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool in quality and imo slightly better than both due to actual acting from some of Hollywood's best actors. Its a total geek movie. For people who like anime and video games. You have heroes that have their powers and backgrounds built up and they have to fight each other in creative ways.
Lots of situational fights where the weaker heroes are able to gain the upper hand. Lots of battles were interesting due to the various motivations of the characters as almost as characters were holding back but to different various degrees throughout until the very end. I thought Robert Downey Jr was fantastic and better than he has ever been as Iron Man and Stark. Him and the actor that played Black Panther really glued the whole movie together and gave it a soul. The introduction of Spider-man was also perfectly implemented. Imo Spider-man and Black Panther are both great characters from super lame comic universes so I'm totally fine with them both being 'introduced' in a movie like this.

So much great stuff going on that its pretty easy to miss that the entire movie's premise is completely absurd. The villain takes multiple high-risk leaps of faith that his evil plan will come to fruition. That guy should buy lotto tickets. I also have an issue with a realistic world where Black Panther exists and sells vibranium and yet people have an issue with the Avengers. If everyone has vibranium, we don't really need the Avengers.
Still, this movie really pwn3d Batman vs Superman. I'd give it an A-.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Civil War was similar to Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool in quality and imo slightly better than both due to actual acting from some of Hollywood's best actors. Its a total geek movie. For people who like anime and video games. You have heroes that have their powers and backgrounds built up and they have to fight each other in creative ways.
Lots of situational fights where the weaker heroes are able to gain the upper hand. Lots of battles were interesting due to the various motivations of the characters as almost as characters were holding back but to different various degrees throughout until the very end. I thought Robert Downey Jr was fantastic and better than he has ever been as Iron Man and Stark. Him and the actor that played Black Panther really glued the whole movie together and gave it a soul. The introduction of Spider-man was also perfectly implemented. Imo Spider-man and Black Panther are both great characters from super lame comic universes so I'm totally fine with them both being 'introduced' in a movie like this.

So much great stuff going on that its pretty easy to miss that the entire movie's premise is completely absurd. The villain takes multiple high-risk leaps of faith that his evil plan will come to fruition. That guy should buy lotto tickets. I also have an issue with a realistic world where Black Panther exists and sells vibranium and yet people have an issue with the Avengers. If everyone has vibranium, we don't really need the Avengers.
Still, this movie really pwn3d Batman vs Superman. I'd give it an A-.

I always thought of Black Panther as a wimpy superhero, he's probably one of the more powerful heroes in this movie. He was pretty damn cool. I like how they skipped over the whole origin story of spiderman in comedic fashion. The 2nd half of the movie had some pretty good laughs, not relying on breaking the 4th wall for every joke like in Ultron. The premise is absurd but at least they have a reason why they fight each other, in BvS based on Man of Steel, it makes no fucking sense. The Villain was actually good in Civil War too, I honestly thought he would reanimate the super soldiers he found, it was refreshing to see a villain who doesn't do the most obvious shit.

PS Captain America needs to just suck the Winter Soldier's dick already, you know he wants to.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought of Black Panther as a wimpy superhero, he's probably one of the more powerful heroes in this movie. He was pretty damn cool. I like how they skipped over the whole origin story of spiderman in comedic fashion. The 2nd half of the movie had some pretty good laughs, not relying on breaking the 4th wall for every joke like in Ultron. The premise is absurd but at least they have a reason why they fight each other, in BvS based on Man of Steel, it makes no fucking sense. The Villain was actually good in Civil War too, I honestly thought he would reanimate the super soldiers he found, it was refreshing to see a villain who doesn't do the most obvious shit.

PS Captain America needs to just suck the Winter Soldier's dick already, you know he wants to.
Winter Soldier is the only thing he has left from his old life. I have more of an issue with
buckeys defeatist attitude of just going back into deep freeze after fighting for his life for the whole movie. Reeks of Marvel just being done with that character

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter Soldier is the only thing he has left from his old life. I have more of an issue with
buckeys defeatist attitude of just going back into deep freeze after fighting for his life for the whole movie. Reeks of Marvel just being done with that character
i actually expect Bucky to make an appearance in the Panther flick. It will help him get some measure of redemption to help Panther in whatever it is he is doing in the movie. Besides, Stan is signed for a shit-ton of movies, so he is most certainly NOT a "done" character.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see Civil war pretty bad but I've barely seen any other marvel movies(some of iron man and both avengers). I know it probably isn't necessary to see the first 2 captain Americas, but I'm OCD like that. So hopefully I see those soon and then get Civil War when it's on redbox

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see Civil war pretty bad but I've barely seen any other marvel movies(some of iron man and both avengers). I know it probably isn't necessary to see the first 2 captain Americas, but I'm OCD like that. So hopefully I see those soon and then get Civil War when it's on redbox
IMO, the only movies that really should be seen before Civil War are Avengers 2 and CA: Winter Soldier.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early reviews of Xmen: Apocalypse are really bad. If Doctor Strange just ends up being Matrix/Inception Soup then the real winners this year are Deadpool and Civil War.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe it's because I haven't seen the other CA films, though I'm hearing that CA2 was similar to this film so I might give it a shot.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick thought on Spiderman:
My one complaint is how young Aunt May is. I'm unsure how that will work out. Outside of the suit Holland seems like a truer version of spiderman and not a teen model or old ass Toby McGuire. Inside the suit he is the best Spiderman to date, the quips weren't always great but much better than Garfield for sure, did Garfield ever have any memorable lines in Amazing Spiderman? Overall I'm happy with Spiderman and I hope to see it play out well because Spiderman was probably my favorite superhero growing up, right up there with Spawn and Batman.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My one complaint is how young Aunt May is. I'm unsure how that will work out. Outside of the suit Holland seems like a truer version of spiderman and not a teen model or old ass Toby McGuire. Inside the suit he is the best Spiderman to date, the quips weren't always great but much better than Garfield for sure, did Garfield ever have any memorable lines in Amazing Spiderman? Overall I'm happy with Spiderman and I hope to see it play out well because Spiderman was probably my favorite superhero growing up, right up there with Spawn and Batman.
Aunt May's age in the new take makes MUCH more sense than making her as old as she is in the comics, tv shows or previous movies. After all, she is his AUNT. Not his Great-Great Grandmother. If he is supposed to be 14 or 15, wouldnt the age of his aunt make more sense to be 40-is than to be 70-ish?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think this qualifies as needing a spoiler tag, but....

Marisa Tomei is like 50 isn't she? Still no spring chicken, she just happens to be super hawt. Definitely agree about Spider-Man though. Best on-screen interpretation to date. Toby MaGuire was fine and I'm still not sure if Garfield was really THAT bad or if it's just me associating those awful movies with his specific performance.

They've really set up the character well now if/when they do a Spidey solo film. Hopefully they cut down on the origin story.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marisa Tomei is like 50 isn't she? Still no spring chicken, she just happens to be super hawt. Definitely agree about Spider-Man though. Best on-screen interpretation to date. Toby MaGuire was fine and I'm still not sure if Garfield was really THAT bad or if it's just me associating those awful movies with his specific performance.

They've really set up the character well now if/when they do a Spidey solo film. Hopefully they cut down on the origin story.
There WILL be a solo film. I think it is due in '18. Also, they will NOT do the origin story. That has been done, and they want to hit the ground running with the character.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aunt May's age in the new take makes MUCH more sense than making her as old as she is in the comics, tv shows or previous movies. After all, she is his AUNT. Not his Great-Great Grandmother. If he is supposed to be 14 or 15, wouldnt the age of his aunt make more sense to be 40-is than to be 70-ish?

That is a great point. But to me Aunt May is supposed to be this very wise figure in Peter Parker's life, a direct contrast to Spiderman. I'm just unsure of how Marisa Tomei is going to convey that particularly. But it could probably work with a much more childish Spiderman. I'm just doubting the dynamic between the two characters but obviously Disney's done a great job before with things the fans weren't so keen on. If IM2 and Ultron are the worst things to come from the MCU then you've done a pretty good job based on the amount of movies there are already.

We're seeing a lot more of that these days. Most people are tired of origin stories, it also doesn't help that the sequels to superhero movies happen to be much better because they get right to the meat of an established character. I feel like origin stories these days are only necessary if many people aren't well acquianted with the character. Origin stories for characters like Batman and Spiderman aren't necessary in the least, we all know those and have seen them a billion times. Definitely glad we won't have to listen to Uncle Ben talking about great responsibility. It's one of the reasons why I think DP2 is going to be way better tan DP (even though it's great) because we got all the origin stuff out of the way and we'll get the character in his prime for a full movie.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more on Black Panther, it was just like his father died and boom he's Black Panther, I know he was already BP before that incident but that's just what it felt like for a person who didn't know much about BP and I do very little research so I thought he was just some guy who's Dad died at first without knowing he was a superhero lol. But the bad assedry of the character's costume and introduction to the Avengers was too cool for me to give a shit about that too much. That scene in the tunnel where he's holding his own with the WS, IM and CA was perfection for an introduction. I'm hyped for the BP movie now. We might get some origin in that movie through flashbacks or dialogue but it will probably be minimal.

Last edited: