• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Everything and Anything Superhero-Related

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and think that if I were casting BvS, I'd have talked to the folks that cast the superhero shows on the CW/WB. Smallvilles casting of Clark, Lex, Jonathan, Lionel, Lois....spot on. The Flash, Barry Allen and Harrison Wells....perfect. Arrow/Oliver, several villains, very good. How can BvS have a $200 million+ budget and screw up Lex Luthor?

when eisenberg was chosen, i had a vision of how they were going to depict Lex, and i was fine with that... I did not hate the choice of actor, nor do i think ANY actor could have pulled off that version of Lex... A young lex did not have to be tough... But he did have to be more business appropriate... He never even dressed the part...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other biggest complaint, WHAT THE FUCK WAS BRUCE'S DREAMS about??

there were moments that were just hard to follow...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is 100% the biggest problem I had with the movie, and I hated the casting of Lex from day 1. I agree with @The Q that Smallville had the perfect vision of Lex Luthor. I had hoped for a similar direction for BvS, with Lex being a true villain, in that you want to root for the guy, but could see that once he went bad, he was going all the way. And good grief, make Lex a MAN, not a sniveling little geek. Lex Luthor was above all egotistical, in addition to wanting to be the smartest guy in the room, he'd want to be the toughest. Tom Hardy, Jake Gyllenhaal and Cam Gignadet would have been my first 3 choices, but I can think of 100 I would have taken over Jesse

This is the quote that should sum up Lex's character:

Lex: I've been thinking a lot about this prophecy. I've got a new interpretation. Want to hear it?
Clark: Sure.
Lex: May I? (takes Clark's book) This Naman guy is supposed to come from the stars, have the power of ten men, and shoot fire from his eyes, right?
Clark: It's just an allegory, Lex.
Lex: I know. But if one person could do all that, he'd be a formidable enemy. He could conquer the world. He could become a tyrant if nobody kept him in check. So I've been thinking...anybody who'd be willing to fight him would have to be pretty brave. Clark, did it ever occur to you that maybe the hero of the story...is Sageeth?

Lex's POV sees Naman as the bad guy

(for background to non Smallville fans: Naman is the native american prophecy created for a kryptonian to return to earth with the power of speed, fire out of his eyes etc., while Sageeth is the guy destined to become his mortal enemy.)

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and think that if I were casting BvS, I'd have talked to the folks that cast the superhero shows on the CW/WB. Smallvilles casting of Clark, Lex, Jonathan, Lionel, Lois....spot on. The Flash, Barry Allen and Harrison Wells....perfect. Arrow/Oliver, several villains, very good. How can BvS have a $200 million+ budget and screw up Lex Luthor?

I agree that Smallville had some great casting.

They had the advantage of Lionel not existing beforehand.

But man, the most likeable Lois ever. The only one you could reasonably believe Superman would put up with.

Movies sometimes have too much power. Go for the big name. Get a mediocre fit.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More bad news for theboardref

Thurs and Friday.

Domestic: 82 million
Foreign: 115 million.

=Worldwide 197 million

For a movie with 250 million production budget.

Means....

1) Largest opening weekend for a DC property ever
2) Largest march opening ever
3) Top 10 opening weekends of all time

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bay makes a lot of money by pandering to the lowest common denominator as well, doesn't mean he's not shit.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More bad news for theboardref

Thurs and Friday.

Domestic: 82 million
Foreign: 115 million.

=Worldwide 197 million

For a movie with 250 million production budget.

Means....

1) Largest opening weekend for a DC property ever
2) Largest march opening ever
3) Top 10 opening weekends of all time
SOB. Only hope is there is a major drop off once people go home and tell their friends i sucks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ticket prices cost too much. Every movie is breaking records like we''re in the steroid era

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the first 30 minutes I have no complaints. I liked Batman as a badass ass kicker and Superman as a misunderstood tragic superhero. I also love Batman way more than Superman so I loved seeing him destroy Superman.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just gonna say it because I've seen it everywhere online, obvious spoilers.

Who cares if Batman kills people.
This isn't 1st year just starting out with morals Batman, this is 20+ years of watching everyone around him die(i.e Robin) and losing all faith in humanity Batman.

After years and years and years of watching the Joker kill people, Two face killing people, etc he gave up his "no killing" rule and decided that it's the only way.

Batman even makes a point during the movie to say that criminals are like weeds you pull one and another one takes it's place so he's seen all this before and has given up. He was going to do whatever was necessary to get what he wants because the world around him showed him that that was the only way to get things done.

He's been branding criminals with his symbol, that should tell you that this isn't your regular Batman, this is a Batman that's been pushed so far over the edge that he doesn't care about your traditional rules.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand the "no killing" policies. If killing a bad guy prevents the bad guy from harming another good guy...even if there may be a glimmer of good in the bad guy...shouldn't the bad guy die?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand the "no killing" policies. If killing a bad guy prevents the bad guy from harming another good guy...even if there may be a glimmer of good in the bad guy...shouldn't the bad guy die?

No, superheroes are supposed to be better than the villains. There's a fine line between them and killing is one of the things that composes that line. As gritty as the Dark Knight trilogy was, Batman in the Dark Knight knew this and refused to take revenge on the Joker at the end.

All Zack Snyder cares about is blowing shit up and shock value. If the inexplicable plot of Man of Steel has taught me anything it's that.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, superheroes are supposed to be better than the villains. There's a fine line between them and killing is one of the things that composes that line. As gritty as the Dark Knight trilogy was, Batman in the Dark Knight knew this and refused to take revenge on the Joker at the end.

All Zack Snyder cares about is blowing shit up and shock value. If the inexplicable plot of Man of Steel has taught me anything it's that.

Killing a person does not make you bad. It can actually make you good.

If a person is about to kill 10 people and the only way to stop them is to kill them, are you a bad guy to kill them?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Killing a person does not make you bad. It can actually make you good.

If a person is about to kill 10 people and the only way to stop them is to kill them, are you a bad guy to kill them?

We're not superheroes, dude. Killing is never the only option for superheroes. If superman had enough strength to snap that guy's neck why didn't he have the strength to move his head enough to stop his laser vision? You're buying into Zack Snyder's nonsense.

Daredevil season 2 deals with this subject. But hey, at least DC is up front about it unlike the Avengers when Marvel pretends nobody dies every time an entire city gets destroyed. Still, not a fan of moody, murderous superman and apparently murderous batman.

Last edited:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not superheroes, dude. Killing is never the only option for superheroes. If superman had enough strength to snap that guy's neck why didn't he have the strength to move his head enough to stop his laser vision? You're buying into Zack Snyder's nonsense.

Daredevil season 2 deals with this subject. But hey, at least DC is up front about it unlike the Avengers when Marvel pretends nobody dies every time an entire city gets destroyed. Still, not a fan of moody, murderous superman and apparently murderous batman.

You are far too simplistic. How many people that commit the worst crimes had prior records? Why keep these people alive? What is their life actually worth? What makes prison a bad place? It is actually the people who live there. They did an experiment and locked up a group of Christians...prison was great for them.

If we are talking heroes...when they lock up criminals, how often do they get out and commit more murder? How often do the good guys have the opportunity to end it early and let the criminal slip away because they are not willing to do what is required?

You also never answered my previous question.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are far too simplistic. How many people that commit the worst crimes had prior records? Why keep these people alive? What is their life actually worth? What makes prison a bad place? It is actually the people who live there. They did an experiment and locked up a group of Christians...prison was great for them.

If we are talking heroes...when they lock up criminals, how often do they get out and commit more murder? How often do the good guys have the opportunity to end it early and let the criminal slip away because they are not willing to do what is required?

You also never answered my previous question.

I'm just going to slowly back away now, you are saying that we should have everyone with a record executed. Yeah, you're not insane at all.

Right, prison would be such a good place without all those evil people, you'd be able to spend a fraction, or in some cases, your entire life in a small cell. Sounds pretty great to me.

I think you've been watching too much television, you seem to think everything is black and white. Some criminals actually become reformed, mind blowing I know.

Kill people because they kill people, pretty sound logic there. Not backwards at all.

The answer should be pretty obvious but I'll humor you, no you're not a bad person for saving people but you're not a good person for killing either. I see many things as being in a grey area, can't be like you who sees everything in black and white. Forgive me for not taking a very specific hypothetical that the majority of the population will never have to even think about seriously.

Last edited: