• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Everything and Anything Superhero-Related

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny because I thought I saw two different Avatars. :dhd: "same goes fooooooooooor you again!"

I'm dumb. But I still stand by my comment.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys get paid to give their opinions, I think they ought to know what they're talking about. I've never gone to see a film and afterwards when reading reviews thought "Wow, this film is so great, these critics don't know what the fuck they're talking about". Not once.
There have been a couple for me. Generally its more common for me to like a movie critics think is average. If a movie gets panned into Van Hellsing or Batman + Robin territory then there is no saving it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been a couple for me. Generally its more common for me to like a movie critics think is average. If a movie gets panned into Van Hellsing or Batman + Robin territory then there is no saving it.
Well, unfortunately, this is starting to look like it is getting in that neighborhood.

I just hope it doesnt start getting F4ntastic comparisons.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you aren't the only one that falls into that category I'm sure. Average scores to me generally mean it is a movie that the majority of people will enjoy (unless you are a cynical movie prick like yours truly). If it hads great ratings it can also be for artistic value and not entertainment. Birdman, cinematicly speaking was incredible, brilliantly done. Was it enjoyable? Not so much for me personally, although I completely appreciate the artistic value.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, unfortunately, this is starting to look like it is getting in that neighborhood.

I just hope it doesnt start getting F4ntastic comparisons.
I doubt it, Fantastic 5 had like a 9 on rotten tomatoes which usually means NO ONE will like it. Also, you know the studio thought it would be crap, there was the least amount of advertising for any major superhero movie I have ever seen. First preview I saw in theaters (went at least a few times a month at the time) was a month before its release.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you aren't the only one that falls into that category I'm sure. Average scores to me generally mean it is a movie that the majority of people will enjoy (unless you are a cynical movie prick like yours truly). If it hads great ratings it can also be for artistic value and not entertainment. Birdman, cinematicly speaking was incredible, brilliantly done. Was it enjoyable? Not so much for me personally, although I completely appreciate the artistic value.
I loved Birdman. A lot. I get what you are saying about how film critics get carried away sometimes and quite frankly value things I don't care about sometimes. Just a glimpse at IMDB and I only kind of liked Inception (#14), The Usual Suspects (#25 overall), Interstellar (#31), Whiplash (#45), Scarface (#105) but they are treating them like some of the best movies ever.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Birdman. A lot. I get what you are saying about how film critics get carried away sometimes and quite frankly value things I don't care about sometimes. Just a glimpse at IMDB and I only kind of liked Inception (#14), The Usual Suspects (#25 overall), Interstellar (#31), Whiplash (#45), Scarface (#105) but they are treating them like some of the best movies ever.

I took a film class so I genuinely appreciate things in film, and can find value in a good film even if I don't enjoy it completely (if that makes sense). Dallas Buyers Club was an incredible acting performance for both Letto and Maconohay (not looking up spelling), but I hated the movie and never want to see it again. Not that it was poorly done or was bad, I just did not at all enjoy it.

As for your list, Inception I am ok with although probably a bit high. Unusual Suspects is amazing, but also 25 overall is really high. Interstellar is not that good, very predictable movie, figured out the "crazy" part within the first 15-20 minutes, knew a decent bit of how it would end. Saddly I never saw Whiplash or Scarface, shame on me for Scarface.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Superman versus Batman is a good movie as most of the other super hero films have been flops.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true completely. Frank Millers, The Dark Knight Returns, was fantastic and so was the cartoon adaptation.

One of the most overrated stories of all time.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top three superhero movies

1. Deadpool
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. The original Superman

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top three superhero movies

1. Deadpool
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. The original Superman
I know I am going to get railed for this, but I just get all the hype around Guardians of the Galaxy. I really did like it, it was a solid movie, but the end was one of the corniest I have ever seen. I don't get it, way better movies out there than this one. I am in the corner that no one really saw this one coming and it caught people off guard. Were you a fan of the comics? Maybe someone can explain to me what I am missing about it, because clearly I am missing something.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought GoG was dull. I watched the first 30 minutes of it and turned the DVD off.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought GoG was dull. I watched the first 30 minutes of it and turned the DVD off.
At one point I paused it and walked away from the tv for like 30 minutes to an hour. If a movie is great, I will not walk away from the tv for that long unless it is an emergency.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am going to get railed for this, but I just get all the hype around Guardians of the Galaxy. I really did like it, it was a solid movie, but the end was one of the corniest I have ever seen. I don't get it, way better movies out there than this one. I am in the corner that no one really saw this one coming and it caught people off guard. Were you a fan of the comics? Maybe someone can explain to me what I am missing about it, because clearly I am missing something.
I think Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun movie with some flaws. For me its a movie like Fifth Element. Slightly cheesy but a lot of fun. I think its slightly overrated but my gf loves it so that means that I love it. I do think that movies need to really start being realistic about crashes and falling from ridiculous heights, though. World War Z, this, Deadpool....if you are crashing something big, you're dead.

A friend of mine who loves every super hero movie camped out last night and saw Batman v Superman and said it sucked. Thats a bad sign.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun movie with some flaws. For me its a movie like Fifth Element. Slightly cheesy but a lot of fun. I think its slightly overrated but my gf loves it so that means that I love it. I do think that movies need to really start being realistic about crashes and falling from ridiculous heights, though. World War Z, this, Deadpool....if you are crashing something big, you're dead.

A friend of mine who loves every super hero movie camped out last night and saw Batman v Superman and said it sucked. Thats a bad sign.
Good sign that the Box will take a major hit and hopefully DC will give up after the Avengwrs Civil War beats the crap out of it.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should DC give up?

They have the superior roster.

They just need to hire good writers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel is doing wonders with their roster, and going 3 or 4 layers deep. DC is working just with their HOFers, and still constantly getting shut out.

Before about 5 years ago, I never even heard of Antman. Now, of course, I understand he is actually quite important to the Avengers story, but before the MCU, I had no idea. EVERYONE knows who Batman, Superman and Woman Woman are, and they still can't do it right.