• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eventual Question Will Arise......Tony Romo or Dak Prescott?

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how this is such a debate. And I don't understand why all these idiot analysts on tv think the Cowboys should stick with Dak. Bottom line is, Romo played at an all pro level the last time the Cowboys had a stud, 3-down RB. We averaged around 30 a game, went 12-3, and lost no road games all season with Romo in the line up. I love Dak, but he's the future, not the present. Now if Romo goes out there and looks like Carson Palmer then it would be time to reconsider. Teams stack the box like half of the time since Dak has been our QB. You think teams are gonna do that with Romo? Romo will make the running game even better and our offense will be more explosive. Dak has managed this team well so far and he's already way ahead of the curve of what we expected. Winning three games without Romo is a big step above last season and there still might be more wins to come without him. With Romo, this team is scary as fuck in the NFC with reasonable team health.
Well said

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I think it is pretty much the exact same offense with a twist towards Dak's mobility. It's just the quarterbacks decisions that are different.:2cents:

I think it appears to be the same offense on the surface, but I don't think it really is. Dak's durability and his legs have been an important part of the Cowboys offense working. Not that he's been running around all over the place, but Romo can't run and count me as one of those unsure he can even take a hit at this point. If he's not 2014 healthy Romo, I think the offense eventually ends up having problems. I hate to state that, I just think defenses will release the hounds as soon as they see him and if he doesn't get blasted, his Jedi magic just isn't going to be there. Hopefully I'm wrong, because we're going to see him at least one more time.

I think Romo's done enough to deserve one more shot out there, but ultimately I fear it will end badly, and then Dak will be right back where so many talking heads seem to want him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it appears to be the same offense on the surface, but I don't think it really is. Dak's durability and his legs have been an important part of the Cowboys offense working. Not that he's been running around all over the place, but Romo can't run and count me as one of those unsure he can even take a hit at this point. If he's not 2014 healthy Romo, I think the offense eventually ends up having problems. I hate to state that, I just think defenses will release the hounds as soon as they see him and if he doesn't get blasted, his Jedi magic just isn't going to be there. Hopefully I'm wrong, because we're going to see him at least one more time.

I think Romo's done enough to deserve one more shot out there, but ultimately I fear it will end badly, and then Dak will be right back where so many talking heads seem to want him.

That's key right there. I think a healthy Romo scores more points.
Not sure why some are calling this a possible QB controversy. I see it as QB's a plenty. Most QB controversies manifest due to poor play, this is building from GOOD play.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott are already in the Pro Football Hall of Fame
The Cowboys' star rookies had their jerseys sent to the Hall of Fame after setting a rookie record

It took only five games, but Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott are headed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Sort of.

Prescott and Elliott became the first pair of rookie teammates in NFL history to throw for at least 1,000 yards (Prescott) and run for at least 500 yards (Elliott) in the first five games of their rookie seasons, so the Hall grabbed hold of the jerseys Dak and Zeke wore for that record-setting game.

The two rookies came to their place in history in different ways, with Elliott getting drafted at No. 4 overall and assuming his place as the expected workhorse back, and Prescott only becoming the starting quarterback after injuries to both starter Tony Romo and backup Kellen Moore during the preseason.

Zeke leads the entire league in rushing through five weeks with 546 yards, and last Sunday he became the first Cowboys rookie to run for 100-plus yards in three straight games, as well as the third rookie ever to run for 130-plus yards in three straight games. Prescott, meanwhile, has set a rookie record for most passes without an interception, and needs to go only eight passes without a pick against the Packers this Sunday to break Tom Brady's all-time record of 162 passes without an interception to start a career.

It's safe to say these guys are off to good starts.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems this topic is overshadowing our good start to the season and dominating the cowboy talk. Bottom line for me is other than when discussing it here because that's what's being talked about, I don't think about it AT ALL. I'm more concerned about this week's game and I'm more concerned with guys that are injured that may play this week like Smith and Dez and Scandrick and even Green and the marginal players. Each game is too important to look ahead and like I said from day 1 the best thing that can happen to this team is a QB controversy because that means Dak is playing well and the team is winning games. I don't get the constant dwelling on what may or may not happen a month from now. Dak and the team are playing so well that even if we go into GB without Dez, Smith, Green and Scandrick I'm not going to assume we can't win. I know we are the underdog even with all of those guys and don't "expect" a win, but I do know we can win. If we can go into the bye with 1 loss and get some of these guys healthy we are going to be in a great position. Heck, if we lose 30-0 we are still in a good position. GO COWBOYS!!!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I think it is pretty much the exact same offense with a twist towards Dak's mobility. It's just the quarterbacks decisions that are different.:2cents:
I heard them point out in the telecast last week that in watching film of the team, the Cowboys might actually be doing more than before. It certainly doesn't look like a reduced playbook to me

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems this topic is overshadowing our good start to the season and dominating the cowboy talk. Bottom line for me is other than when discussing it here because that's what's being talked about, I don't think about it AT ALL. I'm more concerned about this week's game and I'm more concerned with guys that are injured that may play this week like Smith and Dez and Scandrick and even Green and the marginal players. Each game is too important to look ahead and like I said from day 1 the best thing that can happen to this team is a QB controversy because that means Dak is playing well and the team is winning games. I don't get the constant dwelling on what may or may not happen a month from now. Dak and the team are playing so well that even if we go into GB without Dez, Smith, Green and Scandrick I'm not going to assume we can't win. I know we are the underdog even with all of those guys and don't "expect" a win, but I do know we can win. If we can go into the bye with 1 loss and get some of these guys healthy we are going to be in a great position. Heck, if we lose 30-0 we are still in a good position. GO COWBOYS!!!
I agree with that, and comparing this season to last, unless Romo can't come back at all this season and then Dak is injured and placed on IR as well, and then we lose 11 straight...we still couldn't do any worse record wise than last year

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, Jerry: The Cowboys are Dak Prescott's team, not Tony Romo's
The Cowboys owner needs to embrace the future and declare Prescott the starting QB moving forward

This isn't hard, Jerry Jones. Not really. Tony Romo's time as the face of the franchise and the guiding light for the Dallas Cowboys has drawn to a close.

It's the Dak Show now.

The transfer of power has already happened.

Not that Jones, the owner and general manager of the Cowboys, has been able to give up the Romo ghost easily. What did Jones do after Dak Prescott, the fourth-round rookie quarterback out of Mississippi State, led his guys to yet another win? Jerry announced this team still belonged to Tony Romo.

"I will tell you this is a wonderful position if you're in my shoes," Jones told reporters before offering up this silliness: "Tony is our No. 1 quarterback."

No, Jerry. No he's not. Not anymore.

Change is hard, loyalty is commendable and sports are vicious in how quickly windows can close, and the way in which they can do so. But that mantra about not being able to lose your job to injury? It's wrong, it's simple-minded and it doesn't apply here. The truth is, it's not about losing a starting gig to injury. It's about losing it to time. In football, when your time comes for you, all you've accomplished before is just a memory of what used to be.

Time has come for Romo, and it did so just when Dak was ready to make his mark.

I like Tony Romo. I think he's gotten a raw deal -- an unfair share of the blame and ridicule for a career and a team that has not had postseason success. It's certainly brutal if this is how Romo's career, at least his career as a starter and a relevant force in the NFL, comes to an end. But that's football. That's life.

Tony Romo is a broken-down, physically unreliable 36-year-old quarterback with a history of back issues who's been out this season. He's the past.

Dak Prescott is a 23-year-old quarterback who can also run, a rookie with 155 pass attempts without an interception -- now closing in on Tom Brady's record of 162 to start a career -- a guy who commands the huddle and has already won over a large share of his locker room. But the numbers that matter most are four and one. As in: The Cowboys are 4-1 under Dak. That's the end of the argument. Dak's not just the future. He's the present, too.

dakprescotttonyromo101416.jpg

The Cowboys will have a decision to make when Tony Romo returns. USATSI
Jones seemed to start to understand this, sort of, when a few days later he somewhat reversed himself.

Speaking on CBS Sports Radio's affiliate 105.3 the Fan in Dallas on Tuesday, Jones said the team is going "to play this thing out" when it comes to the "great situation" at quarterback.

Well, if by "play this thing out" you mean addressing a quarterback controversy weeks before Romo can even return to play -- the earliest is Oct. 30 against the Eagles -- and by "great situation" you mean "bring up early a possibly divisive locker room situation," yep, the league's most controlling owner is certainly right.

Look, there will be no avoiding the risks and tough decisions that come with choosing between Dak and Romo if that time comes. And it will, regardless of what happens at Lambeau Field this weekend. Which, Dak being Dak, might be another win for the Cowboys.

Yes, the Packers have a surprisingly good defense this season, particularly against the rush. And if they can neutralize Ezekiel Elliott, that fierce Cowboys offensive line and even Dak's ability to scamper to safety when need be, they can put a lot of pressure on the rookie phenom.

But, while many think this is the week Dak reverts to rookie form, I'm not so sure. He's been poised all season long. Stepping in for Romo, and wearing that star, is no small burden. He's shown he's a winner. He's closing in on that Brady record, one that means so much because protecting the ball over a long period of time is crucial at that position, one that's particularly impressive for a player so young. His quarterback rating this year is 90.51, but it's been over 100 in each of the last four games. On top of his four passing touchdowns, he has three on the ground.

He's the real deal.

Jerry Jones should stop talking about quarterback controversies, should stop saying it's this guy's job or that guy's job, and should stop saying it's all going to play out.

Jerry should have just let it play out. He should have announced the inevitable -- this is Dak's team -- only when he had to do so.

Dak's already earned this job.

But since Jerry Jones can't help being Jerry Jones, and since he's already opened that Pandora's box, here's what needs to happen next:

If on Sunday Dak Prescott leads the Cowboys to a 5-1 record by winning in the hostile home of the Green Bay Packers, the next words from the Cowboys' owner should be these:

"This is officially Dak's team now."

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, Jerry: The Cowboys are Dak Prescott's team, not Tony Romo's
The Cowboys owner needs to embrace the future and declare Prescott the starting QB moving forward

"This is officially Dak's team now."

I will disagree. Thus far I love what Dak has done and I want him to keep it up, but I think Romo deserves to show if he can/can't be a NFL Starter again.
The Cowboys will fully be Dak's team soon, just not yet. If/when he lays can egg and the team loses how fast will fans jump off of his ship?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someday Jerry's response will be "I don't know, it's not my decision, ask the coach". Hey, I can dream...

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someday Jerry's response will be "I don't know, it's not my decision, ask the coach". Hey, I can dream...
If Jerry ever does, I'm stocking up on water and spam, because armageddon would be upon us.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo will probably be back in there at some point, but I wouldn't want it to be against Philly. Team is confident and rolling

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
  • According to Albert Breer, the chances of the Cowboys sticking with Dak Prescott as their starting quarterback once Tony Romo is ready to return are “very real.
  • In fact, Breer says that people inside the organization are “mulling reasons to give Romo the job back, rather than thinking about whether or not the rookie has done enough to stake his claim.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
  • According to Albert Breer, the chances of the Cowboys sticking with Dak Prescott as their starting quarterback once Tony Romo is ready to return are “very real.
  • In fact, Breer says that people inside the organization are “mulling reasons to give Romo the job back, rather than thinking about whether or not the rookie has done enough to stake his claim.
Someone cover Romotoowens eyes quick...Don't look Romo, don't look...

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is. Hard to take a guy out playing that well.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
  • Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said after Sunday’s win over the Eagles that Tony Romo isn’t ready to return in Week 9, which means Dak Prescott will get another start. (Jeff Darlington)
  • Jones mentioned that they are not getting an inordinate amount of trade offers right now: “You’re always getting calls. Most of that is just chum.” (Jon Machota)
  • In regards to their plans for the trade deadline, Jones said: “As we sit right now, we’re planning to go with who we got and we are proud of it.” (Jon Machota)
  • Before the game, Jones told Michele Tafoya that “a lot goes into getting medically cleared — doctors aren’t sure if he’s ready to get hit (yet).” (Jeff Darlington)

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a point. My Filipino wife eats spam, I refuse to do so. Ate it to much as a poor white boy growing up.

Spam is like Filet mignon compared to when the wife eats dinuguan.