• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN SEC BIAS STRIKES AGAIN

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SUN, Enquirer, WWE, ESPN... .. We know what they are yet we still pay enough attention to them for them to make money. I guess.... We are entertained?

CFB going the way of the loser leave town matches.... Or maybe midget wrestling... Or possible living Elvis or batboy.. Never thought I'd see the day.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN pays OU's closest rival 15 million a year for their own private network.

That is real bias.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4down20,

I liked your response until you wrote this line.

Now I don't believe that the SEC is any better or worse than any other conference on any given day. Yes, I do think the SEC is a little over hyped, but it is about money. You would have to be pretty naïve not to think money doesn't have a something to do with it. This isn't a slam against ESPN. Any network or agency would do the same when given the opportunity with any other conference or school. It's pretty much ALL about money at this point. The days of College football being about football are over.
Yep...the performance on the field isn't as important as it used to be. But it may return a little since we have expanded to four teams and the teams have to play their way to the national championship game...at least once after the regular season. Had we still had the BCS system, the two finalist that played their way to Jerry's World last year would have been left out. It would have been Bama/FSU. Even if it gets back to on field performance, money is still the driver. i.e. $$$$ is why OU and WVU had to play at noon last week.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that the Crimson Cult got their jimmies rustled again.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its most likely the doings of one person who is probably a florida alum or fan. Much like the popular mechanics guy that was in charge of the calender and called Utah a cupcake game for Michigan.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say the "sec's turn" should be coming to an end if it shouldn't have happened already. 2 years since a championship. More losses in bowls and non conference match ups then during the 7 championship era. Usc getting hyped went away with the loss to Texas and heisman winners joining NFL. If anything these rankings every year are keeping the sec relevant. We were forced by voters to have Tennessee and Arkansas be viewed as top 25 teams. Cal is just now being ranked and should have been weeks ago

Quit talking out of your ASS...you were the 2012 pre-season #1 with 25 first place votes. Remind me again about where you finished...oh yeah, that's right, 7 and fucking 6. Where did you start this year despite being a 4 loss team last year...#8. and then you have the balls to bitch about year after year rankings...fucking unbelievable.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't wrap my head around being a conference fan. That shit is for teams that can't win and have nothing left to boast about. It reminds me of middle school playground shit when some kid was facing off with a bigger kid, "Oh yea, well my brother can kick you and your brother's ass!"

Yea, yea, I know, strength of schedule and all the other bullshit criteria that has to be met so that you are seen as a"good" team with "good" wins and "good" losses. Blah blah blah. Just win your fucking games.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't wrap my head around being a conference fan. That shit is for teams that can't win and have nothing left to boast about. It reminds me of middle school playground shit when some kid was facing off with a bigger kid, "Oh yea, well my brother can kick you and your brother's ass!"

Yea, yea, I know, strength of schedule and all the other bullshit criteria that has to be met so that you are seen as a"good" team with "good" wins and "good" losses. Blah blah blah. Just win your fucking games.
Im not a conference cheerleader but I will back things up if I can when someone puts them down. but then I will make fun of them too but with actual stats and stuff to back it up.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never did until I came here.

If people were constantly bashing the ACC, you'd understand. Because when someone bashes the ACC, they are by default also bashing your team since you are a member of it.

Like if I say - ACC teams are crappy, over-rated and just get ranked higher because they are east coast and it's biased - then I'm saying Clemson is crappy, over-rated etc.

I basically only talked to Alabama/SEC fans before posting here and nobody really thought or talked about it that much. We knew that it was tougher etc, but there wasn't an "anti-SEC" element around constantly bitching and making excuses.

It's more a function of "team Anti-SEC" than "Team SEC" in my experience. SEC teams and SEC fans can actually be pretty brutal to each other in general.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said.

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant play by ESPN a tweet of the top 10 - No one pays attention. But tweet the top 11 and look at all of the free publicity.

Yup! Its a great idea to get everyone's panties in a knot and talking about you.

Pretty much shows ESPN is more like WWE then a legitimate sports news company though. But makes the $$$.

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If people were constantly bashing the ACC, you'd understand. Because when someone bashes the ACC, they are by default also bashing your team since you are a member of it.

Like if I say - ACC teams are crappy, over-rated and just get ranked higher because they are east coast and it's biased - then I'm saying Clemson is crappy, over-rated etc.

I basically only talked to Alabama/SEC fans before posting here and nobody really thought or talked about it that much. We knew that it was tougher etc, but there wasn't an "anti-SEC" element around constantly bitching and making excuses.

It's more a function of "team Anti-SEC" than "Team SEC" in my experience. SEC teams and SEC fans can actually be pretty brutal to each other in general.

Defending your conference (and by proxy your team) and conference fan-boyism are 2 different things tbh.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think that many people really are "conference fans". Rather, I think it's all about, as you mention in the last part of your post, wanting to prop up a favorite team by propping up the conference in which it plays.

Also think it's worth noting that the topic of this thread isn't so much about about being a conference fan as it is trying to claim that espn bias is what props up the SEC. If one goes by the number of players that have gone on from the various conferences to play in the NFL as the best indicator of conference strength, then there is really no choice but to acknowledge that the SEC has been the strongest conference over at least the past ten years.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEnSH-4DGgE_BakVDPvJZn2Fp5R1vGgEKkxbxVpPmBFwcUk6Pi.jpg

word

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for Game Day, I just realised I haven't listened to a single espn analysis of CFB all season. :noidea:

I prefer just watching as much actual football as possible to get my opinions, along with the info I get here.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya. I think we are on the opposite end of the spectrum with espn. While everyone feels they hype the sec, I feel they shit on the ACC and like you said, as a member of the conference, it's shitting on Clemson, but then I tell myself not to get caught up in that garbage. If we win our games, I'm happy to let that speak for itself.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that many people really are "conference fans". Rather, I think it's all about, as you mention in the last part of your post, wanting to prop up a favorite team by propping up the conference in which it plays.

Also think it's worth noting that the topic of this thread isn't so much about about being a conference fan as it is trying to claim that espn bias is what props up the SEC. If one goes by the number of players that have gone on from the various conferences to play in the NFL as the best indicator of conference strength, then there is really no choice but to acknowledge that the SEC has been the strongest conference over at least the past ten years.
I'm not completely sold on espn bias, but when shit like this Top 11 pops up, it's like throwing gas on the fire.

And if NFL talent is the measuring stick, then the ACC is second only to the sec, but that's not the narrative.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have taken it to the complete opposite end of the conference fan boy spectrum....

I'm not a fan of my conference...

I'm not even a fan of my team...

I am a fan of Leonard Fournette...

Fuck eerbody else.....

:happy: