• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN SEC BIAS STRIKES AGAIN

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't no room up there for any of us...ur headz in the way.

I just wanted to see what he was seeing, it didnt impress me. Maybe if I return in about 4-5 weeks it will look differently

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^THIS^^^

I agree that ESPN overhypes the SEC, but it's just the SEC's turn. During the Pete Carroll era, ESPN was hyping USC up so much that I was getting sick of hearing about us.

I think the only thing that makes the SEC hype different is that it's the first time we've seen this with an entire conference rather than just 1 or 2 teams.

I think it's fair to say the "sec's turn" should be coming to an end if it shouldn't have happened already. 2 years since a championship. More losses in bowls and non conference match ups then during the 7 championship era. Usc getting hyped went away with the loss to Texas and heisman winners joining NFL. If anything these rankings every year are keeping the sec relevant. We were forced by voters to have Tennessee and Arkansas be viewed as top 25 teams. Cal is just now being ranked and should have been weeks ago

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say the "sec's turn" should be coming to an end if it shouldn't have happened already. 2 years since a championship. More losses in bowls and non conference match ups then during the 7 championship era. Usc getting hyped went away with the loss to Texas and heisman winners joining NFL. If anything these rankings every year are keeping the sec relevant. We were forced by voters to have Tennessee and Arkansas be viewed as top 25 teams. Cal is just now being ranked and should have been weeks ago

I think the SEC's turn hasn't ended yet because there really hasn't been anyone to replace them. If, for example, tOSU wins the NC again, then we may see them start to replace the SEC in the ESPN hype machine. It's going to take a sustained run from a "blue blood" or 2 like the one USC went on under Pete Carroll before the SEC gets replaced.

USC's hype did die down a bit after the loss to Texas, but we still got plenty of hype. The USC hype didn't truly end until Pete's last season when we went 9-4 and the sanctions were announced.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But hey, people will almost always believe a lie if you claim money is involved. So you got that going for you.
So money isn't involved huh? More naive than I thought.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So money isn't involved huh? More naive than I thought.

Oh I see, it's either they are doing things with bias for money the way you see it, or money isn't involved at all.

Nice false dilemma.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a further look at it I'm not sure one game is worthy of 14 spots. This is a team that beat Tennessee by a point at home. Tennessee has 0 wins against power 5 conferences. Struggled vs Eastern Carolina whom was blown out by navy. And I won't even touch the 14-9 win @ Kentucky.
Say it ain't so!! But it's the sec "gauntlet"!!!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC gets shutout of the playoffs, I could see a relative "distancing" of themselves similar to how the USC hype machine faded a few years after the loss to Texas.

ESPN abandoned that USC ship quickly.
It happens. ESPN isn't going to hype something when the next big thing come around.

There are some loose bricks in the SEC foundation....each of the last 2 seasons got slightly worse
This season looks to be the most mundane by SEC standards in a long while.
They are still quite good, but there is not a lot of uber-conference substance to promote this year.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I see, it's either they are doing things with bias for money the way you see it, or money isn't involved at all.

Nice false dilemma.
Nooooooo, I'm saying it is okay if ESPN pimps the LHN and SECN with or without bias. Companies market their products all the time with bias and sometimes with outright lies. A whole industry is built on marketing. I don't blame ESPN at all. In fact, one could accuse them of negligence if they didn't do so.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC gets shutout of the playoffs, I could see a relative "distancing" of themselves similar to how the USC hype machine faded a few years after the loss to Texas.

ESPN abandoned that USC ship quickly.
It happens. ESPN isn't going to hype something when the next big thing come around.

There are some loose bricks in the SEC foundation....each of the last 2 seasons got slightly worse
This season looks to be the most mundane by SEC standards in a long while.
They are still quite good, but there is not a lot of uber-conference substance to promote this year.
The main difference is ESPN didn't have a whole channel dedicated to USC like they do Texas and the SEC. But, I agree they would not renew those contracts if "the next best thing" comes around as you say. Right now the one that appears in danger is the LHN. Texas has sucked recently in the two main sports.

And I'm not an SEC homer but I have to disagree about their stability. They are no worse (or better) than they were the years they won 7 in a row. They just had one or two outstanding teams during that stretch. Had their been 4 teams in the playoffs then, they might not have had 7 in a row. We'll never know.

IMO the thing that will happen if the SEC (or B1G, Pac 12) is left out is the quicker expansion of the playoff number or the consolidation of 5 power conferences into 4. As long as the ones left out are the Big 12 and ACC nothing will happen. (They don't have as much clout IMO). One or more conferences is going to get left out every year.

And I'm guessing the Big 12 will be the one left standing without a chair when the music stops this year. For the same reason as last year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance that ESPN devotes so much of its coverage to the SEC simply because that conference, from top to bottom, features more players than any other conference who go on to play in the NFL?

SEC leads all conferences with 54 players taken in 2015 draft - NFL.com

Excerpt:
"The SEC had 54 players selected in the 2015 NFL Draft, giving the league the most draftees for the ninth year in a row."

Breaking down NFL rosters by conferences and colleges - Pac-12 Blog - ESPN

Excerpt:
"Here are various breakdowns of how schools and conferences are represented on active NFL rosters*.

By conference

Total players: SEC 309, ACC 239, Big Ten 224, Pac-12 220, Big 12 132, American 98, Mountain West 68, Conference USA 56, MAC 51, Sun Belt 31

Average per school: SEC 22.1, Pac-12 18.3, ACC 17.1, Big Ten 16.0, Big 12 13.2, American 8.2, Mountain West 5.7, Conference USA 4.3, MAC 3.9, Sun Belt 2.8"

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you folks are missing; probably because you did not watch the games, was the emergence of a young quarterback and a coaching staff able to put together an effective offence. All that started the 2nd half of the Tennessee game. Florida started the year with an excellent defense; a group who kept the dismal offense afloat. Now it's the offense who is able to give the defense a much needed rest. One game does not make a team, but examining the progression gives support to the jump in rankings. There are a lot of tough games remaining for the Gators. We shall see if that team has what it takes. Most of us thought this was a rebuilding year and next year would be a lot better. Looks like that very young team is growing ahead of schedule. Sure glad Muschamp is long gone. Good defensive coach; shitty person.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4down20,

I liked your response until you wrote this line.

But hey, people will almost always believe a lie if you claim money is involved. So you got that going for you.

Now I don't believe that the SEC is any better or worse than any other conference on any given day. Yes, I do think the SEC is a little over hyped, but it is about money. You would have to be pretty naïve not to think money doesn't have a something to do with it. This isn't a slam against ESPN. Any network or agency would do the same when given the opportunity with any other conference or school. It's pretty much ALL about money at this point. The days of College football being about football are over.