• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Reid is a heat seeking missle

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just wanted to point out that if they did decide to move him to SS, it wouldn't be a major change to Reid's role because Fangio loves interchangeable safeties. I wouldn't be surprised if Whitner's replacement is labeled a SS but takes more FS responsibilities. It would be very similar to pairing Goldson with Reggie Smith and calling Goldson the FS because he's the better player.

I'd be surprised if they brought in a straight cover type FS. Even if they happened to shift Culliver to that role he'd probably put on some weight to bring the lumber. If Reid did get a new SS label the change isn't in the same ballpark as shifting VD to tackle or receiver.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid is a Beast in the makings.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team ever comments about the following year during the season. The silence on the issue means nothing.

Darren Woodson was with his last year with the Cowboys when Roy Williams played FS. After Woodson was gone, they moved Roy to FS. Whitner may be in his last year with the 49ers.

I was too young to remember who preceded Lott.

I get that the Niners like hard-hitting free safeties (I think all teams like hard-hitting players; all things being equal of course), and they may keep Reid at FS. I just like the prospect of a guy like Lamarcus Joyner, Culliver & some others playing FS more than I do guys like Clinton-Dix, the guy from Stanford (forget his name), and some other bigger safeties playing SS (when factoring in the cost of signing / drafting these guys, etc).

Not him! Ed Reynolds

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the Dolphins kicker

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was very quiet last night. To me at least this means that he had a very good game. Probably his best game so far as a rookie, but the stat line might not reveal that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought reid played great last night. He was awesome on SPT and on D like you said you didn't hear his name. that means he was be thrown to and the Front 7 wasn't letting the RB get through the 1st level.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He was very quiet last night. To me at least this means that he had a very good game. Probably his best game so far as a rookie, but the stat line might not reveal that.

I love when you don't hear a DBs name. He did have a great ST tackle.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid played well, once again, no one has beaten him over the top....

with that being said, Bradford sucked as well.... Whitner grab an INT for gods sake LOL.. should've had 2....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good for Reid. He is #1 in rookie power rankings.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beast running away with the DROY award. Keep it up Reid. Showing the world you were the best Safety in the Draft. Just want to throw out Kenny Vaccaro got beat a lot of times this week. Reid looks like the better Safety at this time of their career.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beast running away with the DROY award. Keep it up Reid. Showing the world you were the best Safety in the Draft. Just want to throw out Kenny Vaccaro got beat a lot of times this week. Reid looks like the better Safety at this time of their career.

It's extremely hard to gauge this without taking into account the type of defensive schemes each player is playing in, as well as knowing what each player's roles are within that scheme for their respective squad. For instance, I believe that Reid is a better open field tackler than Cyprien, but for some odd reason, Cyprien has almost twice as many tackles as Reid. Mathieu and Vaccarro are better in coverage, but for some odd reason, Reid has more Ints. All of the safeties you've talked about has had more tackles (less missed tackles too) than Reid. Does that mean that they are better open field tacklers then Reid?? I've seen one Jaguars game this year, and based on what I saw they are asking Cyprien to play more in the box at least 70% of the time (as an undercover LB per se). Vaccaro was playing a lot of "nickel" until Harper got hurt, and went back to his natural position (a 6th corner on the field per se). So the data we have is not an easy way to determine which safety is actually better. Stats alone cannot tell you that story without analyzing everything. I think had we had Vaccaro or Mathieu playing in our style of defense, they would have posted similar numbers too.

1.) Johnathan Cyprien | Jacksonville Jaguars | NFL - Yahoo! Sports

2.) Kenny Vaccaro | New Orleans Saints | NFL - Yahoo! Sports

3.) Tyrann Mathieu | Arizona Cardinals | NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Reid's stats:
Eric Reid | San Francisco 49ers | NFL - Yahoo! Sports

NFL.com player comparisons feature is not working as well for me at it once did in the past:
StatsLab - Stats on NFL.com

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's extremely hard to gauge this without taking into account the type of defensive schemes each player is playing in, as well as knowing what each player's roles are within that scheme for their respective squad. For instance, I believe that Reid is a better open field tackler than Cyprien, but for some odd reason, Cyprien has almost twice as many tackles as Reid. Mathieu and Vaccarro are better in coverage, but for some odd reason, Reid has more Ints. All of the safeties you've talked about has had more tackles (less missed tackles too) than Reid. Does that mean that they are better open field tacklers then Reid?? I've seen one Jaguars game this year, and based on what I saw they are asking Cyprien to play more in the box at least 70% of the time (as an undercover LB per se). Vaccaro was playing a lot of "nickel" until Harper got hurt, and went back to his natural position (a 6th corner on the field per se). So the data we have is not an easy way to determine which safety is actually better. Stats alone cannot tell you that story without analyzing everything. I think had we had Vaccaro or Mathieu playing in our style of defense, they would have posted similar numbers too.

Reid's stats:

NFL.com player comparisons feature is not working as well for me at it once did in the past:

I love Reid for our defensive system and I frankly don't think that any of the other S in this draft could have the same seemless transition into our defense taking over for Goldson that Reid had. I love the speed he plays with and solid technique that Reid shows and his uncanny ability to make the open tackle is what truly impresses me about him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo its getting time to admit you were wrong about Reid...

not quite time, but that time appears to be closing fast? much faster than even the most pro Reid fans would've predicted?

doesn't matter to me if Bingo admits it or not, along with others who didn't like the Reid pick. but if I had to bet on it, Bingo never will? they are entitled to their opinions so no problem here.

however, to me Bingo hasn't been consistent with his reason? at draft time his reason wasn't Reid but the 3rd rounder we spent. but as the off season progressed, the reason turned to Reid whenever there was 'negative news' on him.

we're all just glad Reid is making the NFL transition, and FAST.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo its getting time to admit you were wrong about Reid...

What is there to admit in particular? Since we made that pick, I was very critical towards Baalke from the onset because he gave up a high third round pick. I knew in that instant passing up on Keenan Allen would have been a bad idea. I never was critical of Eric Reid, the player, in terms of what he brings to the table. I always thought that having both Keenan Allen and Jonathan Cyprien would have been a better combination than having Eric Reid alone.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/3063176-post1.html

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is there to admit in particular? Since we made that pick, I was very critical towards Baalke from the onset because he gave up a high third round pick. I knew in that instant passing up on Keenan Allen would have been a bad idea. I never was critical of Eric Reid, the player, in terms of what he brings to the table. I always thought that having both Keenan Allen and Jonathan Cyprien would have been a better combination than having Eric Reid alone.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/3063176-post1.html

this is true, when I pressed you about after the draft, it was about spending the 3rd. this is fine, but then you can't criticize Reid at all. not that he's giving you a chance now into the regular season. :-)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reid's stats:

Vaccaro doesn't look good in coverage.