• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Reid is a heat seeking missle

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Watching him play one forgets that he has only played six games in the NFL. He's improving in every game. Whitner is the bigger liability, he missed the tackle on Fitzgerald by going for the big hit. I don't care if we picked Reid higher if he stays on his current trajectory that position is locked up for the next decade.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching him play one forgets that he has only played six games in the NFL. He's improving in every game. Whitner is the bigger liability, he missed the tackle on Fitzgerald by going for the big hit. I don't care if we picked Reid higher if he stays on his current trajectory that position is locked up for the next decade.

i knew what the cards were doing before the snap, cant believe nobody beat fitz to where the ball went

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
i knew what the cards were doing before the snap, cant believe nobody beat fitz to where the ball went

Whitner was late to react in order to break it up and then compounded his mistake by missing the tackle. All he needed to do is wrap him up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Found this random quote by Mel Kiper on draft day. Pathetic; he was clearly the best safety in the draft:

They moved up to No. 18 overall to grab safety Eric Reid. He's a kid they really like, and I'd pencil him in as the starter, I just thought he wasn't as good as maybe five other safeties that went after him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From PFF's Three to Focus On for this week:

The same cannot be said for Cyprien and Evans. Cyprien is our lowest-graded safety at -18.6 and has been blowing tackles and coverages week after week, while both have allowed passer ratings of over 140.0 on throws into their coverage.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh huh, sure you did....

next time we play the cards, watch where they line up fitz. its not hard to see what they're trying to do. honestly i don't know why a corner wasn't on fitz.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
next time we play the cards, watch where they line up fitz. its not hard to see what they're trying to do. honestly i don't know why a corner wasn't on fitz.

ok, i'll try to remember.

can you give some examples of where Fitz lined up, and what the Cards then did?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm pretty sure Brock was on Fitz, went for the INT and just missed, then Whitner went for...something...and also missed. I don't have a huge problem with Brock going for the pick knowing Whitner was there. Whitner needed to make that tackle, though. He just whiffed on everything.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
From PFF's Three to Focus On for this week:

The same cannot be said for Cyprien and Evans. Cyprien is our lowest-graded safety at -18.6 and has been blowing tackles and coverages week after week, while both have allowed passer ratings of over 140.0 on throws into their coverage.

:D

I think DJ Swearinger is having a rough go of it too if I'm remembering correctly.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:D

I think DJ Swearinger is having a rough go of it too if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, they pulled him initially, and he hasn't looked great so far as I've heard. Obviously it's very early still, but this "great" class of safeties is having some growing pains. We're very lucky Reid has looked like a vet out there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, they pulled him initially, and he hasn't looked great so far as I've heard. Obviously it's very early still, but this "great" class of safeties is having some growing pains.

I always thought the safety class was vastly overrated.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Swearinger is their 67th ranked safety out of 86. Interestingly enough, from their 58th safety on down to the bottom, Swearinger is the ONLY safety in THAT range to grade positively (a "green" ranking) against the run.

For whatever it's worth, and probably not much, Cyprien does have the only positive grade (a "green" ranking) rushing the passer from the range I highlighted above. However, the reason why I downgrade that a little bit or don't get too excited about that is because Cyprien has only rushed the passer 7 times this year and it's such a small part of grading a safety. On those 7 rushes he has 1 sack, 1 hit, and 2 hurries.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Swearinger is their 67th ranked safety out of 86. Interestingly enough, from their 58th safety on down to the bottom, Swearinger is the ONLY safety in THAT range to grade positively (a "green" ranking) against the run.

For whatever it's worth, and probably not much, Cyprien does have the only positive grade (a "green" ranking) rushing the passer from the range I highlighted above. However, the reason why I downgrade that a little bit or don't get too excited about that is because Cyprien has only rushed the passer 7 times this year and it's such a small part of grading a safety. On those 7 rushes he has 1 sack, 1 hit, and 2 hurries.

Also, the other thing I'd like to point out about PFF that I never have and something that I think not a lot of people realize, especially ones who don't have a subscription to PFF, is that just a few plays here and there can really separate you from going up or down quite a few ranking spots when you factor in how they grade. Their system leaves room for considerable fluctuation, in my opinion, so if you were to see a safety graded in the 40s and another one say in the 60s, understand that the overall grade for that player isn't necessarily going to be THAT far off from each other.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
yz3.gif

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bingo, I'm not trying to pile on here. I have a serious question.

Given how well Reid has played and this year's safety class and how below average they have played, would you still rather draft someone else and pick up a safety in the later rounds? The reason I'm asking is that although I disagreed with your original distain with the Reid pick at 18, trading up to get him, I understood why you thought that way. In hindsight, seeing the realistic guys that we as a team would have targeted, would you consider the trade up for Reid as the Niners did?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this random quote by Mel Kiper on draft day. Pathetic; he was clearly the best safety in the draft:

They moved up to No. 18 overall to grab safety Eric Reid. He's a kid they really like, and I'd pencil him in as the starter, I just thought he wasn't as good as maybe five other safeties that went after him.

:L

Someone should remind Mel of this quote sometime.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, I'm not trying to pile on here. I have a serious question.

Given how well Reid has played and this year's safety class and how below average they have played, would you still rather draft someone else and pick up a safety in the later rounds? The reason I'm asking is that although I disagreed with your original distain with the Reid pick at 18, trading up to get him, I understood why you thought that way. In hindsight, seeing the realistic guys that we as a team would have targeted, would you consider the trade up for Reid as the Niners did?

Heh Dre,

Reid has been spectacular for us, and I'm being modest to say the least because to tell you the truth I think he has been playing much much better than what his stats is revealing to us. Had we had Reid last year, not sure Julio Jones would have gone off on us like he did in the championship game. I certainly believe he would have been able to disrupt Jones a bit in the SB (bailing bum a$$ Culliver from causing us to lose that game). His range is ridiculous. I'm baffled as to why he does not have more "passes defended". There was one time the Bucs were able to get behind us on an attempted deep pass which fell incomplete, and that was more of Whitner and Brown's fault more so Reid's. Other than that if every game this year was considered a school exam, thus far in the year Reid would have an average of 93 out of 100. Again I love his range. He's not a ballhawk type of safety that I usually covet, but he brings other things to the table that I cannot overlook which benefits the team.

With all that said, I still would have preferred Cordarelle Patterson at that spot had we had the chance to do it over. Had we stayed put at 31, would we still had a chance to draft Reid at 31 instead of pick #18? Earlier this year, I would have said yes. However based on how he has been playing, maybe there were other GMs that were just as aware of his potential as the 9ers front office had projected of him. So more than likely he would not have lasted that long. He was my 3rd rated safety, Tyrann Mathieu was my 2nd rated safety - but I didn't want nothing to do with "The Honey Badger" anywhere near the first two rounds. I thought we would have gotten the chance to draft him in the 3rd. Even he thought he was going to be drafted by the 9ers.

Anyway, to answer your question, it seems as though that pick was "forced" only because Dashon didn't sign with us. I thought we went for need instead of BAP there at pick # 18. That trade caused us a 3rd round which could have been Keenan Allen. As good as ER has been for us this year, I think as a team we would have been better if Patterson was a 9er. Or I also believe that a combo of my second rated safety plus Keenan Allen is better than 1 Eric Reid. In 2011, I wanted Robert Quinn, but instead we got Aldon Smith. Despite how fabulous Quinn has been, Baalke's decision to go with Aldon is better than mine. In 2013 I hope Baalke does it again by making the better choice than I would have made by going with ER instead of CP.

Last edited by a moderator: