• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Reid is a heat seeking missle

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo, I think you raise some good points, but I think there is one problem with your analysis: Baalke has not shown he's capable of evaluating good wide receivers in the draft. God knows who he would have drafted in the third round. And Eric Reid has been so good I don't think the 2nd rated safety would have been close.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, I think you raise some good points, but I think there is one problem with your analysis: Baalke has not shown he's capable of evaluating good wide receivers in the draft. God knows who he would have drafted in the third round. And Eric Reid has been so good I don't think the 2nd rated safety would have been close.

It's unfair to blame everything on Baalke with regard to the lack of production or development we have seen from the WR positions. Yes, he takes some blame but not all. The Cleveland Brown for instance has not been lucky in addressing their QB situation since the days of Bernie Kosar, are we going to put all the blame on one person? Anyway, Tyrann Mathieu was having one heck of a rookie year too before he got injured. Him in our system would have been a very good fit for us IMO. He's no slouch if that is what you are asserting to:

By Kent Somers azcentral
sports Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 PM

There is no nuance in numbers. And when it comes to Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, context isn’t found when you crunch them down to dust.

Eleven starts, 64 tackles, two interceptions, a forced fumble, a sack and nine passes defensed.

Those will be the final statistics for Mathieu’s rookie season, and they don’t begin to tell the story of the impact he made.

Mathieu suffered two torn ligaments in his left knee against the Rams last Sunday and was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday.

The Cardinals haven’t played a down yet without Mathieu, but they know how hard it will be to replace him.

“He meant a lot to us because of his flexibility and his positions,” coach Bruce Arians said. “It will take two guys to take his place.”

That’s because Mathieu, 5 feet 9 inches and 186 pounds, was really a corner playing free safety. Whatever negatives there were to his lack of size, Mathieu made up for it with instinct, the ability to cover slot receivers and to pressure quarterbacks on the occasional blitz.

“In today’s football, people spread you out, and often times it takes a certain kind of safety out of the game, but not Tyrann,” said Fox analyst John Lynch.

Lynch admitted he’s biased when it comes to assessing the importance of safeties. He played the position for 15 years with Tampa Bay and Denver, and he’s a semifinalist this year for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

It’s not an easy position to play, Lynch said, especially for someone such as Mathieu, making the transition after playing cornerback in college.

“He’s a difference maker, but everyone knew the playmaker part from watching him at LSU,” said Lynch, who has worked two Cardinals games this year. “What surprised people is he could transition so seamlessly to a new a position. He’s wise beyond his years. He’s instinctive and he kind of understands and gets football. That’s often the biggest hurdle.”

Some defensive coordinators believe nickel cornerback is the hardest defensive position to play. The field is open to a receiver lining up near the middle of the field, and it takes an athletic defensive back to cover him.

In that role, Mathieu reminds Lynch of former Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber, who at 5-10 and 186 pounds, was close to the same size.

“Much like Ronde, for a little guy you wonder how they can be so physical,” Lynch said.

Mathieu’s problems at LSU, including repeatedly testing positive for marijuana, were well documented. That’s what happens when you were a Heisman finalist the year before.

The Cardinals took a risk when they drafted Mathieu in the third round. And while General Manager Steve Keim raves about Mathieu as a player and person, he often attaches fine print: Mathieu’s challenge is staying on his current path.

Mathieu quickly won over teammates and others around him with his personality and work ethic. He’s soft-spoken and honest about his past.

Others with his history might have placed certain subjects off limits. But ask Mathieu a question and he’ll answer it. He’s been on time and attentive in meetings, displaying a work ethic that takes some players years to develop.

The Cardinals’ older players treat Mathieu, and protect him, like a little brother.

“My thing is it’s more about his personality, his urge and his mentality on the field,” said outside linebacker John Abraham, who, at 35, is 14 years older than Mathieu.

“I’m used to talking to him on the field. Even though he’s a young guy, he prepares like a vet and he acts like a vet. I think that’s one of the biggest things we’re going to lose.”

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid is going to be a good one if he can stay healthy. He might make pro bowl this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone see Mike Tolbert run over Atlanta's defense like grass? 221-pound William Moore bounced off him like a ping pong ball. And it took like 2 other guys in addition to that hit to bring him down.

When Eric Reid hit that semi truck with feet Tolbert dropped like Deseasn Jackson (yes, I'm going a little simile crazy tonight). And Tobert was pretty much at full speed.

See title of thread.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see Mike Tolbert run over Atlanta's defense like grass? 221-pound William Moore bounced off him like a ping pong ball. And it took like 2 other guys in addition to that hit to bring him down.

When Eric Reid hit that semi truck with feet Tolbert dropped like Deseasn Jackson (yes, I'm going a little simile crazy tonight). And Tobert was pretty much at full speed.

See title of thread.

But Reid knocked himself out in the process.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh Dre,

Reid has been spectacular for us, and I'm being modest to say the least because to tell you the truth I think he has been playing much much better than what his stats is revealing to us. Had we had Reid last year, not sure Julio Jones would have gone off on us like he did in the championship game. I certainly believe he would have been able to disrupt Jones a bit in the SB (bailing bum a$$ Culliver from causing us to lose that game). His range is ridiculous. I'm baffled as to why he does not have more "passes defended". There was one time the Bucs were able to get behind us on an attempted deep pass which fell incomplete, and that was more of Whitner and Brown's fault more so Reid's. Other than that if every game this year was considered a school exam, thus far in the year Reid would have an average of 93 out of 100. Again I love his range. He's not a ballhawk type of safety that I usually covet, but he brings other things to the table that I cannot overlook which benefits the team.

With all that said, I still would have preferred Cordarelle Patterson at that spot had we had the chance to do it over. Had we stayed put at 31, would we still had a chance to draft Reid at 31 instead of pick #18? Earlier this year, I would have said yes. However based on how he has been playing, maybe there were other GMs that were just as aware of his potential as the 9ers front office had projected of him. So more than likely he would not have lasted that long. He was my 3rd rated safety, Tyrann Mathieu was my 2nd rated safety - but I didn't want nothing to do with "The Honey Badger" anywhere near the first two rounds. I thought we would have gotten the chance to draft him in the 3rd. Even he thought he was going to be drafted by the 9ers.

Anyway, to answer your question, it seems as though that pick was "forced" only because Dashon didn't sign with us. I thought we went for need instead of BAP there at pick # 18. That trade caused us a 3rd round which could have been Keenan Allen. As good as ER has been for us this year, I think as a team we would have been better if Patterson was a 9er. Or I also believe that a combo of my second rated safety plus Keenan Allen is better than 1 Eric Reid. In 2011, I wanted Robert Quinn, but instead we got Aldon Smith. Despite how fabulous Quinn has been, Baalke's decision to go with Aldon is better than mine. In 2013 I hope Baalke does it again by making the better choice than I would have made by going with ER instead of CP.

Fair enough and I appreciate you answering the question. Hopefully you know that I wasn't trying to bust your balls...that I was seriously asking the question. I like CP as well and he would have been pretty electrifying but I have been so fucking impressed with ER and cannot believe his all around great play and the consistency that you rarely see as a rookie, it would be hard for me to picture our team otherwise.

Also, IIRC, assuming we would have been interested in Allen is a long shot given his poor performance at the combine and Pro Days. Wildly productive at Cal but Charles Barkley Turrible in Pre-Draft workouts. He was a difficult WR to grade out because of his Jekkyl and Hyde showings.

The other reason why I asked was that I had him rated #1 among safeties, ahead slightly of Viccarro. As you stated above, I don't think Reid would have been there at 31.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But Reid knocked himself out in the process.

Plays with reckless abandon! The dude would take on an SUV & still make the tackle (although it'd be the last one he ever makes).

2 concussions in his rookie year isn't a good thing, but I love that they didn't slow him down one bit. Reid is one of the 2 or 3 best safeties in the NFC IMO, and all he has to do is stay healthy & he'll be one of the most feared players in the league.