• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Reid is a heat seeking missle

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
irgc.png

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, Eric Reid was the only player to really "hit" Aaron Rodgers yesterday. And by hit I mean like a RB gets hit. Anyone who puts a lick on bet-welching Rodgers is ok in my book. :)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, Eric Reid was the only player to really "hit" Aaron Rodgers yesterday. And by hit I mean like a RB gets hit. Anyone who puts a lick on bet-welching Rodgers is ok in my book. :)

yup, bet rodgers was sore the next morning

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure about naysayer, but I still would like to draft or pickup a player like Clinton-Dix and move Reid to ss. Thats not a knock on him. A solid safety should be able to play both if need be. I personally like ballhawks at fs. To me, Reid would be more of a force at ss because of his size, ability to stop the run, as well as solid coverage skills to take out all these te's that are being used now. All the Jimmy Grahms, Gronks, Jared Cooks and so forth wouldn't be a mismatch for him.

Good fs or Troy Polomalu at ss. He is the best option at fs right now.

With all that said, I love having him on the roster, that was a hell of a debut.

Bama fan here, not sure if Ha Ha Clinton - Dix is a finished product in the coverage department. He's definitely not a Marc Barron type of player, yet.

As for Reid, he may not hit as hard as Goldson did, but you can already tell he has better coverage skills. And, this upcoming draft should have a good amount of corners coming out. With the situation involving Rogers and Brown, I can see the Niners grabbing at least 1 corner in the first 3 rounds. That could place Culliver at FS and put Reid at SS without having to pick a safety.

Also, anyone know of Marcus Williams from North Dakota State? He plays for a small school but has NFL ready abilities at the corner position.

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
While at it, let's give Eddie Lacy 60 plus rushing yards against our tough D. I mean he did break through for decent gains several times, a few of them were called back because of holding against his offense. At the same time he did earn those yards, so he deserves it. :L

Well, I didn't mean that Reid should have the numbers statistically (although that is how my post reads), what I meant to say was that Reid made a very significant play that can't be recorded on the stat sheet. No where in the box score is there a section for preventing an touchdown on an offensive free play, but like I said, had the touchdown been scored, Green Bay simply would've declined the penalty and taken the touchdown. It was a significant play on Reid's part even though it goes down as a non-play in the box score.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else see those amazing hits that Goldson had on the Jets? There were at least the two that I saw.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody ever questioned his heat seeking missile ability. While he made a few mistakes, overall, Reid was impressive in coverage. I was surprised. Reid gets a mulligan from me anyway because you can't expect him to be perfect as a rookie free safety. That's big time responsibility. He should make some mistakes and hopefully, they start this Sunday.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bama fan here, not sure if Ha Ha Clinton - Dix is a finished product in the coverage department. He's definitely not a Marc Barron type of player, yet.

I have my doubts about Clinton-Dix as a FS. Same with the guy from Stanford. If the Niners are looking for a FS, I think Lamarcus Joyner might be a more realistic (and possibly better) option. He's short, but he can fly to the ball; and he's a more than willing hitter. And he probably won't go in the first round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anybody else see those amazing hits that Goldson had on the Jets? There were at least the two that I saw.

that fine, but big hits are only good AFTER all the fundamental play was sound. big hits at the expense of some 'miss'', is no good.

rather have solid fundamentals and sure tackles.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that fine, but big hits are only good AFTER all the fundamental play was sound. big hits at the expense of some 'miss'', is no good.

rather have solid fundamentals and sure tackles.

I didn't watch the game, so I wouldn't know if he missed anyone or not.

I'd rather have fundamentals too, but don't underestimate the effect that those big hits can have on opponents. Sets the tempo, gets the defense energized, and I remember a handfull of times where the receivers had alligator arms after getting knocked out earlier, resulting in a turnover.

I loved having Goldson on this team. But also love what we've seen in Reid and expect him to be an awesome player for us. Even though Goldson isn't here anymore, I STILL love to see him knock the crap out of people.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid is not moving to SS, at this point he looks to be a great long term fit at FS.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the guy I wanted GB to pick to replace Nick Collins. You guys are lucky to have him.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know? If Whitner is gone, he could play either one. And Whitner is in the last year of his contract.

Whitner being in the last year of his contract means nothing in terms of Reid moving to SS. If Reid continues to play well (which I think he will), there will be no reason what so ever to even consider moving him. Just because Whitner is leaving, doesn't mean crap, we have a good FS and a good FS is better than having a good SS.

Has the team made any indication that they've even considered moving him to FS or is this just another fan made up theory?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Whitner being in the last year of his contract means nothing in terms of Reid moving to SS. If Reid continues to play well (which I think he will), there will be no reason what so ever to even consider moving him. Just because Whitner is leaving, doesn't mean crap, we have a good FS and a good FS is better than having a good SS.

Has the team made any indication that they've even considered moving him to FS or is this just another fan made up theory?

That reasoning makes no sense. If, when going to replace Whitner, a player the Niners think would make a good FS falls conveniently to the Niners' pick and he's the best player on the board, they can simply take the FS and move Reid to SS. The Cowboys did the same exact thing with Roy Williams. Ronnie Lott changed positions multiple times.

The safety positions are largely interchangeable anyway (to a certain extent).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That reasoning makes no sense. If, when going to replace Whitner, a player the Niners think would make a good FS falls conveniently to the Niners' pick and he's the best player on the board, they can simply take the FS and move Reid to SS. The Cowboys did the same exact thing with Roy Williams. Ronnie Lott changed positions multiple times.

The safety positions are largely interchangeable anyway (to a certain extent).

What part of it doesn't make sense? If you have a successful young FS, why the hell would you move him to SS? That move would make absolutely no sense. If we have a successful young FS why would we go looking for a new FS?

Not to mention the team has given any indication that they would even consider moving Reid to SS (that I can remember), I think that is something that was born on this board.

Those are completely different players, we're talking about Reid right now, those two guys literally have nothing to do with this situation. Different team (FO. coaches, players, needs, etc.), different players, different coaches, different everything.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What part of it doesn't make sense? If you have a successful young FS, why the hell would you move him to SS? That move would make absolutely no sense. If we have a successful young FS why would we go looking for a new FS?

You don't. You look for a Whitner's replacement, and if that guy happens to be a FS you move the hard-hitting Reid to SS.

Not to mention the team has given any indication that they would even consider moving Reid to SS (that I can remember), I think that is something that was born on this board.

They wouldn't comment on next year regardless. They don't even comment about 2 weeks ahead.

Those are completely different players, we're talking about Reid right now, those two guys literally have nothing to do with this situation. Different team (FO. coaches, players, needs, etc.), different players, different coaches, different everything.

So precedent has nothing to do with the situation? That's a convenient way of making it impossible to accept any point but yours. But everyone knows that coaches have players change positions based on need & who else is on the team, so you're wrong. It does have to do with Reid's situation.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't. You look for a Whitner's replacement, and if that guy happens to be a FS you move the hard-hitting Reid to SS.

They wouldn't comment on next year regardless. They don't even comment about 2 weeks ahead.

So precedent has nothing to do with the situation? That's a convenient way of making it impossible to accept any point but yours. But everyone knows that coaches have players change positions based on need & who else is on the team, so you're wrong. It does have to do with Reid's situation.

The team likes hard hitting FS, it isn't a coincidence that we lost one and then drafted a guy who is also a hard hitting FS to replace him. Why would they look for something different when it seems completely obvious that we have the FS that we want?

They haven't commented on it, in other words it isn't even being thought about from our staff right now, especially with Reid performance.

Precedent would involve some similar factors, there are none in this situation. This is a different team that likes different styles of players in different roles. Now if there were some precedent of history of Harbaugh and Co. moving a FS to SS because he was too hard of a hitter, then that would be significant. I find Roy Williams and Ronnie Lott completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand. So no, I am correct, you are wrong. Name two players who are relevant to this team and this staff if you want there to be some kind of precedent. Otherwise I could go through NFL history and name different FS who weren't moved and say that there is precedent that Reid should stay.

Again there seems to be absolutely no basis to this whole Reid to SS thing and it was born and will die on this board just like all of the other nonsense threads about players switching positions that I've seen in the past such as: VD needs to put on 50 lbs and move to LT (we needed one at the time), Staley needs to cut 50 lbs and move to TE, VD needs to move to WR (we needed one). I've seen too many of these things to take them too seriously, now if I see ANYTHING that says that coaches might even consider such a move then I might be on board but right now I'm not buying it.

Out of curiosity is the last potential rookie of the year to switch positions like this because of need? Has Harbaugh done this recently with a starter?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They haven't commented on it, in other words it isn't even being thought about from our staff right now, especially with Reid performance.

No team ever comments about the following year during the season. The silence on the issue means nothing.

Precedent would involve some similar factors, there are none in this situation.

Darren Woodson was with his last year with the Cowboys when Roy Williams played FS. After Woodson was gone, they moved Roy to FS. Whitner may be in his last year with the 49ers.

I was too young to remember who preceded Lott.

I get that the Niners like hard-hitting free safeties (I think all teams like hard-hitting players; all things being equal of course), and they may keep Reid at FS. I just like the prospect of a guy like Lamarcus Joyner, Culliver & some others playing FS more than I do guys like Clinton-Dix, the guy from Stanford (forget his name), and some other bigger safeties playing SS (when factoring in the cost of signing / drafting these guys, etc).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team ever comments about the following year during the season. The silence on the issue means nothing.

Darren Woodson was with his last year with the Cowboys when Roy Williams played FS. After Woodson was gone, they moved Roy to FS. Whitner may be in his last year with the 49ers.

I was too young to remember who preceded Lott.

I get that the Niners like hard-hitting free safeties (I think all teams like hard-hitting players; all things being equal of course), and they may keep Reid at FS. I just like the prospect of a guy like Lamarcus Joyner, Culliver & some others playing FS more than I do guys like Clinton-Dix, the guy from Stanford (forget his name), and some other bigger safeties playing SS (when factoring in the cost of signing / drafting these guys, etc).

There is nothing that should even give us the thought of him moving to SS, it is simply a theory that was born on this board (one of many that I've seen over the years).

I don't think Culliver is moving honestly, we will be so thin at CB next season that he will likely start. As for who we will look at for SS, I can't say until the seasons over and we see how the draft board is looking and where we might pick. If I were a betting man, I would bet on us either re-signing Whitner cheap or looking for a low priced FA while we wait for a mid-round draft pick to develop.

BTW, Roy Williams was HORRIBLE in coverage, the Cowboys would have been crazy to leave him at FS.