• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: No gasoline poured on Flames' trade rumours | Hockey | CBC Sports

Q: OK, what are the teams?
A: There are multiple reports of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and Los Angeles Kings. I was nervous Saturday about specific teams because there was conflicting information. Initially, the four mentioned to me were Pittsburgh, Boston, Los Angeles and Anaheim Ducks. I don't like to guess and wasn't certain.

Here's the kicker, though. There are some excellent sources who say Iginla would go to the Vancouver Canucks.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
30 Thoughts: Dallas is team to watch at NHL trade deadline | Hockey | CBC Sports

5. The Flames are not done. They will discuss anyone not named Sven Baertschi. They have told pursuers they prefer to keep Mark Giordano and Curtis Glencross, although teams are asking about them, so you never know. The New York Rangers and Ottawa Senators, in particular, are believed to be big Glencross fans. Sooner or later, maybe Calgary gets an offer it cannot refuse.

good stuff on tampering, too

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...layers-in-sochi-olympics-wont-come-cheap.html

Olympic insurance costs ... damn!

Insurance is an even bigger issue. A friend of mine, who works in the industry and has done some business in sports, said Saturday that the explosion of long-term NHL contracts in the past few years will make this, by far, the most expensive tournament to protect.

"Uncharted territory," he called it.

After a little research, he said you can estimate it would cost between 0.3 to 0.5 per cent of the value of a player's contract to insure it. So let's do the math for a potential Team Canada.

Two months ago, CBC Sports senior hockey writer Tim Wharnsby had six people, including him and I, pick their teams. We'll use that as a template. You can go through that list and see how much salary remains on each contract at the midpoint of next season:

Goalies: Carey Price, Cam Ward and Roberto Luongo come in around $83 million.

Defencemen: Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Marc Staal and Kris Letang are at about $194 million (Alex Pietrangelo is not included. He has not signed a contract for next season).

Forwards: Sidney Crosby, Claude Giroux, Jonathan Toews, Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, Rick Nash, Eric Staal, Jordan Eberle, John Tavares, Mike Richards, Jamie Benn and Ryan Getzlaf are about $425 million.

For that whole team, you're looking at $700 million. So if you use the conservative estimate of 0.3 per cent to protect these contracts, the figure is $21 million to insure Team Canada alone. It sounds ridiculous and it is possible that figure is too high. It's never that simple when it comes to insurance since there are so many variables. Because many contracts need coverage, there could be some kind of group discount.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$21 million eh - Still $4 million less than what it takes to operate the Coyotes in Glendale for a season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$21 million eh - Still $4 million less than what it takes to operate the Coyotes in Glendale for a season.

hockey canada, the next owner of the phoenix coyotes?

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29. Suggestion for the NHL: only play the makeup game for Ottawa and Boston if it determines who makes the playoffs. (The likely date is April 28.) If the Senators and Bruins are already in, don't bother and determine playoff seedings by points per game. Is it really necessary to make it up otherwise, considering the circumstances?

I actually disagree with this... go back and play it. Life goes on and triumphs over terror.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29. Suggestion for the NHL: only play the makeup game for Ottawa and Boston if it determines who makes the playoffs. (The likely date is April 28.) If the Senators and Bruins are already in, don't bother and determine playoff seedings by points per game. Is it really necessary to make it up otherwise, considering the circumstances?

I actually disagree with this... go back and play it. Life goes on and triumphs over terror.

and in all honesty they shouldn't get an extra game break. its unfair to whomever they play against and the rest of the league.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The most interesting thing about Monday's media conference was how different Lowe and MacTavish sounded. Lowe talked about past accomplishments, MacTavish looked towards the future -- saying repeatedly how much the game has changed.

:agree: :lol:

this is going to end well

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
team is delusional but one thing about Henrik and Daniel is they rarely deny how they are playing and their chances, they dont believe in false hope - when down 3-0 to the Kings last year, they were pretty much saying we have no chance but we will have fun now and see how it turns out. when those 2 are confident I feel good about their games. I still think we will be done in the first round regardelss

henriks been drinking the Koolaid

30 Thoughts: Canucks discover winning ugly is beautiful thing | Hockey | CBC Sports

"As long as we don't change, continue to play this way and not give up a whole lot, I don't see us losing four out of seven," he said, although quick to add, "as long as we are healthy."

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30. I leave you this week with a story from one of our Hockey Night crew: Allan Boye. His nephew, Ethan, recently went to a game where Walter Gretzky was in attendance. A photo was requested and, as usual, Walter was happy to oblige. Walter asked Ethan if he played hockey. Ethan said yes. Walter said his son played hockey, too. Ethan replied, "Was he a good player?"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30. I leave you this week with a story from one of our Hockey Night crew: Allan Boye. His nephew, Ethan, recently went to a game where Walter Gretzky was in attendance. A photo was requested and, as usual, Walter was happy to oblige. Walter asked Ethan if he played hockey. Ethan said yes. Walter said his son played hockey, too. Ethan replied, "Was he a good player?"

Zing!

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:I was just coming here to post that. Kids are awesome!

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had no idea who Wayne was but was really excited to get a picture with Paulina's grand-father.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Lotsa stuff regarding the upcoming draft (teams trying to move up) and potential player moves:

Price is steep for top picks in NHL draft | Hockey | CBC Sports

Patty's first declaration and it's a smart one.
the irony is, he could probably get his guy at #3, but is pretty much forced to take him at #1
(ie. anyone else would take the forwards first, but because Seth is a local product AND it is Roy's first draft as GM, it has to be a popular pick)