• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23. Last week in San Jose, Sam Gagner of the Edmonton Oilers takes a penalty at 3:45 of overtime, but he is still allowed to participate in the shootout. I'd love to see the IIHF rule. If you're technically still in the penalty box, you don't get to shoot.

agree 100%. it doesn't come up often, but kind of bugs me every time it does.

Interesting, especially considering there is a good chance that whoever takes the penalty in OT would be a prime candidate for the shootout.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
18. The Oilers thought giving Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a few days of rest and rehab was a major benefit for the bad shoulder. Now the question becomes, 'How often does this have to happen?'

Oilers ruining a great prospect by needlessly rushing him into the line-up. who would have thunk it.
both shoulders have problems now, 73 games into his career.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18. The Oilers thought giving Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a few days of rest and rehab was a major benefit for the bad shoulder. Now the question becomes, 'How often does this have to happen?'

Oilers ruining a great prospect by needlessly rushing him into the line-up. who would have thunk it.
both shoulders have problems now, 73 games into his career.

Yes, the Oilers rushed him, but RNH needs to bulk up as well. This isn't junior hockey anymore son, those skinny arms aren't going to last.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Yes, the Oilers rushed him, but RNH needs to bulk up as well. This isn't junior hockey anymore son, those skinny arms aren't going to last.

He's listed at 170lbs this year. was he even 160 last season?
IF he was going to be with the club as an 18 year old, he needed protected minutes.

but yeah, he could use a cycle or two :)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Hockey socks and safety | Hockey | CBC Sports

2. There is a lot of debate as to why Vancouver forced veteran forward Manny Malhotra to sit. But a couple of sources, including one player (not Bieksa) who told me to look through Malhotra's second-last game, a 4-1 victory over Minnesota. It's been reported that there was one play where Dany Heatley, a former teammate, could have clobbered him but let up. I couldn't find that one, although I did find two other situations where Malhotra carried into dangerous spots: one comes about 30 seconds in (Clayton Stoner could have gone for the hit); the other is at approximately 13:10 of the third period (Matt Cullen). Players said Malhotra seemed unsure of himself with the puck, so he looked down at it a lot more than normal.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really sucks for Manny (good guy) - I think the league needs to grandfather visors in (just like they did with helmets). That said, I find it strange that guys wouldn't want to wear visors (I mean, they wear one in junior and college hockey).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really sucks for Manny (good guy) - I think the league needs to grandfather visors in (just like they did with helmets). That said, I find it strange that guys wouldn't want to wear visors (I mean, they wear one in junior and college hockey).

i wonder if that's what the NHL is counting on? more and more players where visors, i wonder if they're just assuming it will get 'grandfathered in' on its own?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must say that the Malhotra situation is just weird.

He played in the playoffs last year. Has the eye gotten worse since then? I don't get it.

The timing looks bad but so has Malhotra this year. :noideaL

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I must say that the Malhotra situation is just weird.

He played in the playoffs last year. Has the eye gotten worse since then? I don't get it.

The timing looks bad but so has Malhotra this year. :noideaL

Gillis had said that basically it just hasn't gotten better. even with an extra long summer to recoup.
decision would have been made in October if possible.

Manny essentially talked himself back into the line-up last year, but the improvement hasn't been there.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really believe the malhotra issue is all about safety. this has nothing to do with the cap or getting rid of an under achieving player. I just dont believe that at all

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20. Sounds like goalie equipment might also come up at the March GMs meeting. I did ask a couple of these guys if they're getting to the point where they might want to see larger nets, but there's some serious opposition. Some guys would only accept wider nets, not taller ones, because they don't want guys shooting any higher. As part of all this, the union needs to add four new members to the Competition Committee. David Backes is the only active representative playing in the NHL.

Put me in the "Let's shrink goalie equipment" column...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20. Sounds like goalie equipment might also come up at the March GMs meeting. I did ask a couple of these guys if they're getting to the point where they might want to see larger nets, but there's some serious opposition. Some guys would only accept wider nets, not taller ones, because they don't want guys shooting any higher. As part of all this, the union needs to add four new members to the Competition Committee. David Backes is the only active representative playing in the NHL.

Put me in the "Let's shrink goalie equipment" column...

Sooooo much simpler to put tighter restrictions on the equipment. Guys have used the same size nets forever, seems silly to change that. Goalies are more athletic (just like skaters are regardless) but their equipment gets bigger. They continue to add little pieces too...add a small part to the glove and BAM that seven hole isn't as big of a deal. I think the biggest part is really the chest protector though. Looking at pictures that's the biggest difference...baggy jerseys are big too.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
niklas-backstrom-video-game-capture3.jpg

Look at the equipment just without a jersey!

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
30 Thoughts: Ryan O'Reilly pursuit still a hot topic | Hockey | CBC Sports

There are two major reasons opponents want to see the Flames get buried. First, O'Reilly's $6.5 million US salary next season becomes an arbitration comparable. Second, teams are steaming that owner Murray Edwards, who took a hard line during the lockout, approved this offer -- especially after Montreal held strong with P.K. Subban.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Ryan O'Reilly pursuit still a hot topic | Hockey | CBC Sports

There are two major reasons opponents want to see the Flames get buried. First, O'Reilly's $6.5 million US salary next season becomes an arbitration comparable. Second, teams are steaming that owner Murray Edwards, who took a hard line during the lockout, approved this offer -- especially after Montreal held strong with P.K. Subban.

Of course, if Colorado weren't such cheapskates, it wouldn't have even come to ROR receiving an offer sheet.

/At least four other teams were prepared to send in an offer sheet for ROR

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3