• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the lockout-shortened 1995 NHL season and how it was played with a "Memorandum of Understanding" and not a signed collective bargaining agreement. Games resumed as lawyers haggled over the details and the New Jersey Devils won the Stanley Cup. The deal was not finished until August. Well, Fehr was asked about it in New York and sounded amenable to the idea. As for the NHL, deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an email: "We would likely entertain the possibility of playing with some interim level of documentation, but I expect that we will require more detail than what he had in 1994-95." Something to keep in mind.

30 Thoughts: NHL could call in NBA lockout fixer | Hockey | CBC Sports

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the lockout-shortened 1995 NHL season and how it was played with a "Memorandum of Understanding" and not a signed collective bargaining agreement. Games resumed as lawyers haggled over the details and the New Jersey Devils won the Stanley Cup. The deal was not finished until August. Well, Fehr was asked about it in New York and sounded amenable to the idea. As for the NHL, deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an email: "We would likely entertain the possibility of playing with some interim level of documentation, but I expect that we will require more detail than what he had in 1994-95." Something to keep in mind.

30 Thoughts: NHL could call in NBA lockout fixer | Hockey | CBC Sports

I'm all for this idea..

17. I was thinking about the kinds of impactful things that the NHL and NHLPA are going to have to do for the fans. Fridge magnets and pocket schedules won't be enough. Something that means a little more would be offering Centre Ice for free the rest of the season (No blackouts, either). Sign up and get a free code. Yes, it hurts hockey-related revenue, but revenue is damaged this year anyway. Got do to something tangible.

:thumb:

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of CI, another kick to the groin is seeing NBA League Pass offer all platforms for the one price - tv, streaming, mobile - CI only offers them separately.

NBA = smart business decision, NHL, well, why beat a dead horse

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about the kinds of impactful things that the NHL and NHLPA are going to have to do for the fans. Fridge magnets and pocket schedules won't be enough.

If I can get my hands on a fridge magnet or a pocket schedule then all is forgiven!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

@friedgehnic: the Canucks' have an NHL exclusivity deal with that sleep science company. #NoSleepForYou

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29. I don't know what to say about Nail Yakupov except that I'd bet the Oilers are very happy this lockout is over so they can get their hands on him.

I guess Elliotte doesn't want a barage of hate mail from Oilers fans and of course I'm biased, but the kid struggled during the tourney (yeah, he had two goals in the bronze medal game against Canada, but they were into gaping nets on the PP). He could still be a great 150 ft player (needs to learn how to pass the puck though), but I doubt he'll ever be great in his own zone.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
29. I don't know what to say about Nail Yakupov except that I'd bet the Oilers are very happy this lockout is over so they can get their hands on him.

I guess Elliotte doesn't want a barage of hate mail from Oilers fans and of course I'm biased, but the kid struggled during the tourney (yeah, he had two goals in the bronze medal game against Canada, but they were into gaping nets on the PP). He could still be a great 150 ft player (needs to learn how to pass the puck though), but I doubt he'll ever be great in his own zone.

I mentioned in one of the game threads, he was a tremendous player when no one was around him.
Kind of disappeared when the traffic got a little thicker.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29. Business story to watch: The Vancouver Sun reported how the Canucks cut ties with Air Canada for team travel. It is possible several other teams will follow because, during the lockout, the airline reconfigured its planes and now doesn't have enough with the necessary first-class seating throughout. Air Canada's private service is generally very good and had contracts with approximately half the league for this year. The lockout crushed its business (one estimate: we're talking eight figures) and the company is a major sponsor for some of these teams. How will Air Canada respond if more clubs bail?

dont remember if it was posted but after the Oilers beat the canucks game #2they got on their flight and the planes first/business class section had economy seats ... poor babies! lol

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Panthers plan to keep Stephen Weiss | Hockey | CBC Sports

4. Milan Hejduk played his 1,000th NHL game Monday night in Colorado. You forget how great his resume is: Stanley Cup; Olympic gold medal; Rocket Richard Trophy; 372 career goals. When he came over in 1998, the Avalanche had no other Czech players and Hejduk barely spoke English. It was Mark Miller, now the team's head equipment manager, who helped him learn the language. Big night for both of them.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hejduk (like Sakic) has always been a Flames-killer. Great hockey career (and one of the few Avalanche players I have liked (albeit grudgingly)).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29. Business story to watch: The Vancouver Sun reported how the Canucks cut ties with Air Canada for team travel. It is possible several other teams will follow because, during the lockout, the airline reconfigured its planes and now doesn't have enough with the necessary first-class seating throughout. Air Canada's private service is generally very good and had contracts with approximately half the league for this year. The lockout crushed its business (one estimate: we're talking eight figures) and the company is a major sponsor for some of these teams. How will Air Canada respond if more clubs bail?

dont remember if it was posted but after the Oilers beat the canucks game #2they got on their flight and the planes first/business class section had economy seats ... poor babies! lol

I mean, if I had to travel as much as these guys do, I'd probably be a bit upset. As a casual flier, I'm fine in economy, but if I traveled a lot for business I'd sure be getting those seats with leg room.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Milan Hejduk played his 1,000th NHL game Monday night in Colorado. You forget how great his resume is: Stanley Cup; Olympic gold medal; Rocket Richard Trophy; 372 career goals. When he came over in 1998, the Avalanche had no other Czech players and Hejduk barely spoke English. It was Mark Miller, now the team's head equipment manager, who helped him learn the language. Big night for both of them.

Around the turn of the millennium (I just wanted to use that phrase) Hejduk was tremendous to watch.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
23. Last week in San Jose, Sam Gagner of the Edmonton Oilers takes a penalty at 3:45 of overtime, but he is still allowed to participate in the shootout. I'd love to see the IIHF rule. If you're technically still in the penalty box, you don't get to shoot.

agree 100%. it doesn't come up often, but kind of bugs me every time it does.