• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles face tough decisions this offseason

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson and Jefferey are already signed for 2020.

Cutting a player after June 1st allows the team to spread the signing bonus over the next season.
For example if a player signed in 2019 for two seasons with a $10M signing bonus, cutting him before June 1st means that the entire signing bonus, $10M, would be dead money. Cutting him after June 1st means that $10M bonus is spread among two seasons and cutting him would only cost $5M in dead money.

Taking a flier on Cobb is all about low risk, high reward, as much as signing the guys you mentioned at the end.

There's a chance that Watkins gets a decent deal from other interested teams.

Yeah, we have to see how this plays out, but that extra money could go to other positions and maybe they draft more than one WR?

Im talking exclusively about who we sign after June 1. Who is going to be left in free agency when that money gets freed up on June 1? I think Cobb and Anderson will both be with teams. So what do we do with that extra money?

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im talking exclusively about who we sign after June 1. Who is going to be left in free agency when that money gets freed up on June 1? I think Cobb and Anderson will both be with teams. So what do we do with that extra money?
It's an accounting trick. There's a limit to the number of players you can designate, but you can cut a guy in March and call it a post-June 1 cut.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an accounting trick. There's a limit to the number of players you can designate, but you can cut a guy in March and call it a post-June 1 cut.

Wait...really? Where the hell have I been?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny you say that cause I saw a tweet this morning from one of the NFL network guys that said if you asked around he would be an excellent choice to replace Schwartz if got the Cleveland job, players felt the coach got a bum rap due to crappy personnel decisions and really didn't have talent to work with.

I also believe this could be for the better moving forward - lack of talent is one thing but this group was coached with really bad technique, something that falls on that position group's coach, he is responsible for that. I wish him well but we can't do any worse than what has been happening the past couple of years with that unit.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That meant be true. That said, I'd ;like to get Kris Richard, who left Dallas.

If Richard is willing to come in to be the DBs coach, that would be an awesome move for us. Schwartz looks like he's staying put for now, but Richard would add a lot to the defensive unit overall.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreeing with this at this point. DeFillipo did some great work with Wentz (like he did with Minshew this year) and seemed to work fine under Reich. I just see him as a good QB coach and not an OC.

But maybe after a couple of years pursuing that path and it not working out, coming back to the Eagles could be the best thing for both sides... I think we kind of need him, Wentz could benefit from a strong(er) voice and remember Wentz was at his absolute best when Flip was involved in the offense.

I know he left because he wanted playcall responsibilities; give him the Reich role. He'd have some creative control within the offense, he knows the offense Doug wants to run, plus hands on to assist Press in the QB room, everything within the offensive concept except calling the plays.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont both those guys be signed before June 1? Also, Cobb? Really? We’re going to swap one injury prone 30 year old out for another one?

Aside from that, there is a reason they didn’t go all-in to trade for Anderson mid season. I don’t think they’ll bring him in either.

Looking beyond the 2020 list of free agents, I think there is 0 chance the Chiefs keep Sammy Watkins after this season. He won’t count against the comp pick formula, is talented, has speed, and is 26. Could be a solid move. He’s basically a better version of Agholor imo.

Aside from that, I would consider Breshad Perriman, Dontrelle Inman, Travis Benjamin, and a few others with speed. The biggest problem is that almost all these guys have some injury history.

I don't want to sign any more players 30 and above years old. they break down, or lose their speed/skills.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really care very much about: Howard, and Johnston. The rest, whatever.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on the OC rumor/ interview updates? I can't find anything.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a Holy Cow list.
The Eagles must re-sign Howard and give serious consideration to re-signing Vaitai, Jernigan and McLeod. The others are in the “if the price is right “ category.
Jenkins could bring a decent draft pick but someone other than Howie should be doing the drafting.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Ronald Darby - Not a big loss; was flat out bad this past year, use draft to replace
CB Jalen Mills - Played "ok" for what I expected. Would try to bring back but not lose sleep if we can't
LT Jason Peters - Thanks for the service, but he's cooked. We have his replacement
S Rodney McLeod - Would attempt to bring back at right price
WR Nelson Agholor - Good bye stiff
DE Vinny Curry - Only depth, can easily be replaced in free agency
RB Jordan Howard - We're fine at RB, plenty of "depth" bodies in free agency
OT Halapoulivaati Vaitai - Solid depth guy, but may get starter's money in the market.
LB Kamu Grugier-Hill - For the right price, but injuries hurt him this past season
QB Nate Sudfeld - Would bring back
QB Josh McCown - Retired
DT Timmy Jernigan - Malik Jackson back in 2020, draft for depth
RB Darren Sproles - Retired
TE Richard Rodgers - ehh, only value if injuries
DT Hassan Ridgeway - No big loss
RB Corey Clement (restricted) - Thanks for the big game in SB, no value now
CB Craig James (exclusive rights - minimum) - tender
P Cameron Johnston (exclusive right - minimum) - tender

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really care very much about: Howard, and Johnston. The rest, whatever.

Other teams might be interested in Howard and paying him a decent price.
If so, I think the Eagles would prefer to let him go in the hopes of reaping a comp pick.
Same could probably be said for Vaitai, especially if they get 'starters' money.

As for Johnston, I don't think he's going anywhere.
Here is a definition of an exclusive rights contract :
Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract and the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams might be interested in Howard and paying him a decent price.
If so, I think the Eagles would prefer to let him go in the hopes of reaping a comp pick.
Same could probably be said for Vaitai, especially if they get 'starters' money.

As for Johnston, I don't think he's going anywhere.
Here is a definition of an exclusive rights contract :
Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract and the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams

Aside from the injury and injury risk I REALLY like Howard. However, with Sanders coming on strong he has comp pick written all over him.

Exclusive rights is such nonsense the designation shouldn't even be mentioned. LOL

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of having a stable of 3: Sanders (the bell cow); Howard, the power/short yardage back; and Scott, the change of pace back. Give Sanders 15-20 touches, and split approx 10 carries by the other two. That's my preference, and I'm a very good OC. :thumb:

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of having a stable of 3: Sanders (the bell cow); Howard, the power/short yardage back; and Scott, the change of pace back. Give Sanders 15-20 touches, and split approx 10 carries by the other two. That's my preference, and I'm a very good OC. :thumb:

I love the idea of the flexibility of this backfield too. I just don’t know that Howard can be held at a cost that works for all we have to do.

Like Howies mea culpa on loving incumbent guys too much I’m trying to do the same.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think resigning Howard is a must, you need that bigger back that can take the pounding and he can.

Reactions: ill

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Duke - I think because of the way Howard finished the year, it will hurt his market value and we may have a chance to bring him back on a one year prove-it deal... in that scenario I would take Howard back in a heartbeat.

He was very effective for us before Sanders' emergence and the two of them would make an excellent tandem. Love what Scott did at the end of the year but I don't like him as RB2... we need that bruiser to offset Sanders and free him up to take advantage of his skills in the pass game. Scott would assume the "Sproles" role within the offense as a guy who can work in the pass game, sprinkle him in on a few runs and contribute in the return game.

Bring back Clement on a camp deal and have him fight it out with whomever for RB4.