• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles face tough decisions this offseason

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They paid Wentz, but they clearly cannot rely on him. They will need to draft a Qb to groom as his successor or sign a good veteran backup.

Meanwhile, they need to draft receivers. Watching DK Metcalf, the guy they bypassed for JJ Arcega-Whiteside, go off for 160 yards and a backbreaking TD in the playoffs has to really sting for Howie.

And father time has caught up with Jason Peters and likely is about to catch Jason Kelce, so they need to continue remaking the offensive line.

Lot of changes needed.

All in all, I think the guys who were out there competing competed hard, but this team needs changes this offseason. They should be under no illusions that they can win again with this nucleus.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB: Wentz is it for the immediate future. Use the draft to groom a backup.
RB: We're good here with Sanders and Scott; free agency or rookie free agency for a complimentary #3.
WR: Need to overhaul the position.
OL: Peters out, Dillard in at LT. Use draft for depth, especially for interior Linemen; especially Center.
TE: Golden
CB: Overhaul
LB: Need to get faster
S: Need youth, we're old here
DL: ok for now, but need to develop youth.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Greg Ward as a nifty slot WR but that's all he is. They need two new starters outside at WR. They can bring back Djack and Alshon next year but they better have some better young players on the roster by opening day.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB: Wentz is it for the immediate future. Use the draft to groom a backup.
RB: We're good here with Sanders and Scott; free agency or rookie free agency for a complimentary #3.
WR: Need to overhaul the position.
OL: Peters out, Dillard in at LT. Use draft for depth, especially for interior Linemen; especially Center.
TE: Golden
CB: Overhaul
LB: Need to get faster
S: Need youth, we're old here
DL: ok for now, but need to develop youth.

Looking at this list and thinking like the FO I think they would only agree with you on 2-3 of these. I’ll let you guess which 2-3

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Greg Ward as a nifty slot WR but that's all he is. They need two new starters outside at WR. They can bring back Djack and Alshon next year but they better have some better young players on the roster by opening day.

I think Alshon can't be counted on for next year due to his injury. DJax will be 33 and Ward makes for an ok slot guy. We absolutely need to get a go-to outside guy, maybe even 2 in the draft. JJAW is a bust ... dude can't get PT ahead street guys we brought in; if anyone offers us a 5th for him I'd unload him.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They paid Wentz, but they clearly cannot rely on him. They will need to draft a Qb to groom as his successor or sign a good veteran backup.

Meanwhile, they need to draft receivers. Watching DK Metcalf, the guy they bypassed for JJ Arcega-Whiteside, go off for 160 yards and a backbreaking TD in the playoffs has to really sting for Howie.

And father time has caught up with Jason Peters and likely is about to catch Jason Kelce, so they need to continue remaking the offensive line.

Lot of changes needed.

All in all, I think the guys who were out there competing competed hard, but this team needs changes this offseason. They should be under no illusions that they can win again with this nucleus.

Wentz going down today was not because he was injury prone and there isn't a player in the NFL that would not have gone in concussion protocol after that cheap shot. He proved he can play in all 16 games and quite well in fact.

Jason Peters needs to retire. His best days are behind him.

Jason Kelce is an All-Pro Center and still has some good years left. He is this years NFL 1st team All-Pro center and IMO the best center in the NFL.

We need to really overhaul the wide receiver position. I will say this. Wentz has proven he does not need a pro bowl caliber receiver and can work well with just good receivers. He was that good this year.

There needs to be some changes made to the coaching staff. Jim Schwartz and Mike Groh need to go.

Reactions: ill

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about JJAW... usually I reserve opinions on rookies because they're rookies, but he doesn't seem to be an NFL receiver... watching Metcalf today toast our secondary burned me just as much as the loss itself. This was not a good year for Roseman. He needs to hit in the draft this year.

We've got a lot of transition coming up in the next couple of years. If we want to set ourselves up for sustained future success, we need the next couple of off-seasons to be home runs, starting with this year.

One thing about Wentz: I really feel for the guy, the injury was extremely unfortunate. It was encouraging to see the team rally around him to close the year out... but it also reinforces the notion we need to have a strong backup in place moving forward. The injuries on this team were ridiculous; I sincerely hope this was some sick cosmic joke that happened to us this year, never to happen again.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz going down today was not because he was injury prone and there isn't a player in the NFL that would not have gone in concussion protocol after that cheap shot. He proved he can play in all 16 games and quite well in fact.

Jason Peters needs to retire. His best days are behind him.

Jason Kelce is an All-Pro Center and still has some good years left. He is this years NFL 1st team All-Pro center and IMO the best center in the NFL.

We need to really overhaul the wide receiver position. I will say this. Wentz has proven he does not need a pro bowl caliber receiver and can work well with just good receivers. He was that good this year.

There needs to be some changes made to the coaching staff. Jim Schwartz and Mike Groh need to go.
I agree both Groh and Swhwartz need to go, but do you think Doug or Howie will do it? I sure hope so.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like a defensive coach who is aggressive and not relies to play soft coverage. And personnel who can tackle. How many third and longs did we give up first downs this season and in this game? Unreal.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree both Groh and Swhwartz need to go, but do you think Doug or Howie will do it? I sure hope so.

Im pretty sure JS doesn’t go unless it’s of his own accord.

And I’m having this sneaky feeling that Groh might not be gone.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im pretty sure JS doesn’t go unless it’s of his own accord.

And I’m having this sneaky feeling that Groh might not be gone.

Given the fact that the season was so bad when came to injuries I could see Groh sticking around. I am not sure about Schwartz because with a healthy defense at times they were just bad.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at the fucking dummies again, trying to get rid of schwartz.

- #10 defense in the league.
- just 17 points (for a 2nd time) to the seahawks, the #8 offense in the league.
- 17 points or less in 8 of the last 10 games.
- 20 points or less in 5 of the 6 playoff games.

i want him to get a better position elsewhere so bad, so these idiots can suffer with what comes after him. most likely a defense ranked in the bottom half of the league.. which leads to nothing but combo whine about roseman and the new coordinator.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lot of changes needed.

they're dead next season with their schedule. if they were smart (which, we extended wentz well before he even came back from his injury, so they're not) they would unload any aging players of value for whatever they can get and flip the roster for youth to force the overhaul.

barring a lot of luck, we're not going to win many games next season. holding on to these vets is a huge blow and just delays the inevitable.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree about drafting a quarterback. We BETTER not waste a pick on that spot. We used a 5th round pick on Clayton Thorson and could have had Darius Slayton. Howie needs to draft speed at receiver. It’s embarrassing that JJAW has been outperformed by nearly every other rookie WR drafted near him.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz isn't going anywhere. And neither is Groh, especially with the finish to the season. If anything, I'd like to see them add to the offensive staff.

Some may kill me for saying this but an experienced guy like Bill Callahan or Pat Shurmur I think could take that Frank Reich role on the staff as another voice in the room. Neither might make good head coaches, but they are excellent assistants with previous head coaching and playcalling/game-planning experience, and would definitely upgrade the future potential of the offense moving forward.

Schwartz needs more talent in the secondary. And he needs to release some of the power he apparently has making personnel decisions for the defense. From what I've read, Roseman has A LOT of respect for Schwartz, he is a very valued guy in the building so much so that he has had (some would say too much) input on the personnel decisions to the defense.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at the fucking dummies again, trying to get rid of schwartz.

- #10 defense in the league.
- just 17 points (for a 2nd time) to the seahawks, the #8 offense in the league.
- 17 points or less in 8 of the last 10 games.
- 20 points or less in 5 of the 6 playoff games.

i want him to get a better position elsewhere so bad, so these idiots can suffer with what comes after him. most likely a defense ranked in the bottom half of the league.. which leads to nothing but combo whine about roseman and the new coordinator.

It really is hard to complain about Schwartz. I’m sure we could do better...but we could also do a lot worse. He’s a very solid DC in this league. Way better than his predecessor Billy Davis.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree about drafting a quarterback. We BETTER not waste a pick on that spot. We used a 5th round pick on Clayton Thorson and could have had Darius Slayton. Howie needs to draft speed at receiver. It’s embarrassing that JJAW has been outperformed by nearly every other rookie WR drafted near him.

I agree - I think for at least this off-season, find a (young) vet that has league experience... we've got too many other holes to address. Marcus Mariota (at the right price) could be a good reclamation project for Pederson and the staff.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz isn't going anywhere. And neither is Groh, especially with the finish to the season. If anything, I'd like to see them add to the offensive staff.

Some may kill me for saying this but an experienced guy like Bill Callahan or Pat Shurmur I think could take that Frank Reich role on the staff as another voice in the room. Neither might make good head coaches, but they are excellent assistants with previous head coaching and playcalling/game-planning experience, and would definitely upgrade the future potential of the offense moving forward.

Schwartz needs more talent in the secondary. And he needs to release some of the power he apparently has making personnel decisions for the defense. From what I've read, Roseman has A LOT of respect for Schwartz, he is a very valued guy in the building so much so that he has had (some would say too much) input on the personnel decisions to the defense.

It would not surprise me if Schwartz stuck around but with that said he needs to lose his personnel power. Now he technically does not have the power to make the choice it is understood that Roseman defers to Schwartz when it comes to personnel and if that is the case he chose the poor players in the secondary and that has to fall on him.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - I think for at least this off-season, find a (young) vet that has league experience... we've got too many other holes to address. Marcus Mariota (at the right price) could be a good reclamation project for Pederson and the staff.

I don’t really want Mariota. Is Sudfeld not the guy?

Foles might be available. Eli will be available. I’m sure there will be some options.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really want Mariota. Is Sudfeld not the guy?

Foles might be available. Eli will be available. I’m sure there will be some options.

I would probably say Sudfeld will be the backup. I highly doubt the Eagles will even consider bringing Foles back. Too much of a distraction to be honest. Eli? his best years are behind him.