• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles face tough decisions this offseason

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to BGN, the Browns will not be hiring Jim Schwartz. So we will be getting out DC back. With ten picks in this draft, we need to really help out the LB and secondary along with helping with the receivers. This off-season is going to be huge for the direction this team goes in the near future. A lot of big decisions to be made. Who stays and who goes? FA signings? Nailing the draft with solid picks? I'm anxious to see how our front office proceds.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like O'Connell is off the table. He's signing with the Rams.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like O'Connell is off the table. He's signing with the Rams.

I still like the idea of Caldwell. If he is willing to be an OC again. But we might want to get prepared for it to be someone like Kafka. What the hell....we’ve already seen one guy who was a bad QB for us turn out to be a hell of a coach.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw on BGN the Browns are after Andrew Berry, he might already be out the door - perhaps that's what Howie meant by more FO people on their way in, he probably saw this coming.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im good with this. I think Shurmur is a fine OC. Hopefully we are wooing Caldwell right now.

Yeah I'm starting to lean more towards Caldwell as well.
I wouldn't have had an issue with Shurmur coming back either, I thought he did a really good job here and got the shaft in NY.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Eagles defensive backs coach Cory Undlin hired as Lions defensive coordinator

Hard to believe. He never lived up to his billing when we hired him away from Denver in 2015.

That's funny you say that cause I saw a tweet this morning from one of the NFL network guys that said if you asked around he would be an excellent choice to replace Schwartz if got the Cleveland job, players felt the coach got a bum rap due to crappy personnel decisions and really didn't have talent to work with.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flip back to Philly?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny you say that cause I saw a tweet this morning from one of the NFL network guys that said if you asked around he would be an excellent choice to replace Schwartz if got the Cleveland job, players felt the coach got a bum rap due to crappy personnel decisions and really didn't have talent to work with.

That meant be true. That said, I'd ;like to get Kris Richard, who left Dallas.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade, pre-June 1st: $16.1 million in dead money, costs $750K to cut
Trade, post-June 1st: $5.5 million in dead money, $9.9 million in cap savings

That's what I found.
That's $9.9M that you can use to go after Robbie Anderson or take a flier on a Randall Cobb. Or go after a safety.

Wont both those guys be signed before June 1? Also, Cobb? Really? We’re going to swap one injury prone 30 year old out for another one?

Aside from that, there is a reason they didn’t go all-in to trade for Anderson mid season. I don’t think they’ll bring him in either.

Looking beyond the 2020 list of free agents, I think there is 0 chance the Chiefs keep Sammy Watkins after this season. He won’t count against the comp pick formula, is talented, has speed, and is 26. Could be a solid move. He’s basically a better version of Agholor imo.

Aside from that, I would consider Breshad Perriman, Dontrelle Inman, Travis Benjamin, and a few others with speed. The biggest problem is that almost all these guys have some injury history.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which players felt that? Doesn’t sound like players from the secondary.

I think the guy was massively overrated. Hopefully they can get a guy who teaches cornerbacks to play the ball and can actually develop some guys.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have concerns about Flip after he has basically been fired by the Vikings and Jags in two seasons. It seemed he did good work with Minshew, overall, but there were rumors he was intense and not easy to get along with when he was QB coach in Philly.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have concerns about Flip after he has basically been fired by the Vikings and Jags in two seasons. It seemed he did good work with Minshew, overall, but there were rumors he was intense and not easy to get along with when he was QB coach in Philly.
Jacksonville might have wanted to keep him, but they may have been hampering their HC search by keeping Flip on the staff.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont both those guys be signed before June 1? Also, Cobb? Really? We’re going to swap one injury prone 30 year old out for another one?

Aside from that, there is a reason they didn’t go all-in to trade for Anderson mid season. I don’t think they’ll bring him in either.

Looking beyond the 2020 list of free agents, I think there is 0 chance the Chiefs keep Sammy Watkins after this season. He won’t count against the comp pick formula, is talented, has speed, and is 26. Could be a solid move. He’s basically a better version of Agholor imo.

Aside from that, I would consider Breshad Perriman, Dontrelle Inman, Travis Benjamin, and a few others with speed. The biggest problem is that almost all these guys have some injury history.

Jackson and Jefferey are already signed for 2020.

Cutting a player after June 1st allows the team to spread the signing bonus over the next season.
For example if a player signed in 2019 for two seasons with a $10M signing bonus, cutting him before June 1st means that the entire signing bonus, $10M, would be dead money. Cutting him after June 1st means that $10M bonus is spread among two seasons and cutting him would only cost $5M in dead money.

Taking a flier on Cobb is all about low risk, high reward, as much as signing the guys you mentioned at the end.

There's a chance that Watkins gets a decent deal from other interested teams.

Yeah, we have to see how this plays out, but that extra money could go to other positions and maybe they draft more than one WR?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreeing with this at this point. DeFillipo did some great work with Wentz (like he did with Minshew this year) and seemed to work fine under Reich. I just see him as a good QB coach and not an OC.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jacksonville might have wanted to keep him, but they may have been hampering their HC search by keeping Flip on the staff.
Edit: for some reason, I thought Maronne got fired. He's still the HC, but he's now on his third OC in as many seasons.