• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dynasty MBBRL... Do we dare?

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll weigh in with my thoughts on the whole thing..and if this doesn't jive with most who are interested, may I suggest that you call it the "SportsHoopla Dynasty League" instead of the MBBRL. The MBBRL already has a set of rules and deviating from them isn't really what the MBBRl is about.

First and foremost, the team ownership..a dynasty, as it should be, is designed for a long haul, there CANNOT be excessive turnover if we do this, and hopefully none at all. We can't have people who disappear, abandon their team, or might beat risk of getting the "Hammer". NO one wants to take over a team in a dynasty format that they didn't have a hand in building, and finding a suitable replacement could be a nightmare.

So my proposal here would be that all owners must be nominated/seconded by at least three founding MBBRL members. (Will, Lefty, Joe, TKO, Sam, Fuzzy, Ram, Foot, Duff, Dub, and myself, forgive me if I left anyone out). Bear in mind, we don't care about how good we think you are at the hobby, just that you enjoy it, and enjoy sharing your thoughts on the board. Owners would have to be active on the SportsHoopla boards. Leaving or getting banned from SportsHoopla results in team forfeiture. I would suggest that we start with a goal of 12 teams, but depending on interest and amount of quality prospects, we should go into it being flexible knowing that settling with ten teams is a possibility.

Secondly, we'd have to pick the commish from that pool of approved owners. I have no doubts Micro will have no issues with the nominations and has already expressed a willingness. If this gets of the ground, he's probably my first choice

Next if we are going to put the "MBBRL" name to this thing, it has to follow the same rules, as close as possible. Obviously many rules pertaining to the roster would HAVE to be different. But scoring, roster size, starting spots, etc, should all be the same. Especially scoring.

As to keepers, my understanding of "Dynasty" is that every one is kept year to year in perpetuity. the only difference being the rookie draft, someone will have to get dropped in order to make room for the incoming rookies. We'd have to come together on the length of that draft, and what happens to the players who are dropped to accommodate those rookies. Do they instantly become free agent..as in even during the draft they can be picked up? or do they go on waivers to be decided later that week?

And no, no auction draft, referring back to keeping in step with the already established MBBRL rules/setup.

Those are just my thoughts, and how I'd like to see the start of a foundation to this thing. Obviously there will be differing opinions, and that's what we're here to discuss, but, putting the MBBRL name onto the league comes with certain expectations, which really aren't up for negotiation, IMHO

Even though I'm not a MBBRL member or currently in a position to become one at this time I have some thoughts on this that may be helpful in this regard:
  • Aside from the specifics of his post, TREFFs post should leave any of you reading it feeling as though he is the kind of owner you want in a Dynasty league.
  • As some of you may have read in a previous post I made I am working on the structure & bylaws of a new Dynasty league I plan starting next year. A couple of my reasons for pushing it out to next season may be pertinent to this discussion. Dynasty leagues have more going on than even keeper leagues. They require year-round participation, more time spent managing them(if you want to be competitive), and are much more difficult to find replacement owners for. Because of this it pays to be more selective when recruiting potential owners. For this reason I plan to recruit during the season, rather than pre-season, to avoid the mentality that alot of fantasy players have which is "I want more leagues so I can do more drafts!!". Those are not the most dedicated people and are the kind who join more leagues than they can realistically manage so they end up abandoning the ones they aren't doing well in. You want the people in your dynasty league to think of it as one of if not their top priority among their stable of leagues. This may not be a sound strategy on my part but
  • "Can keep up to 4 keepers......" That's a keeper league rather than a Dynasty league where teams retain most of if not their entire roster from season to season.
  • Drafting is different in the inaugural season of a dynasty league versus all subsequent seasons. Typically you'll have a standard snake or auction draft that encompasses the entire pool of NFL players(often including rookies) for your initial draft. Each year afterwards you would have 2 drafts, a rookie draft sometime after the NFL draft is completed, and a FA draft sometime around the time most "standard" leagues draft.
  • Since most dynasty leagues operate year-round it makes sense to pick your host site based on how much of the year you have league access. Yahoo & ESPN shut down their FFB leagues(non-dynasty ones at least) during the NFL off-season. Unless they operate differently for dynasty leagues then neither would make good hosts. I am planing to use Fantasy Football League Management from MyFantasyLeague.com to host my dynasty league as they have year-round access and some of the most customizable settings out there including % of non-starter(bench) points towards team score. This means your bench can now score for you as in actual NFL games. If you set it to .25% for bench players an example would be if you have a bench player score what would have been 8 points as a started so he then scores you 2 points.
  • I'm toying with the idea of starting my league at a few more teams than I might otherwise think ideal. My thinking here is if I start with 14 or 16 teams I can then simply decrease the # of teams as a way of dealing with any abandoned teams or owners who the rest of the league find unworthy of being in the league.

Please keep in mind that these points aren't "right or wrong" for dynasty purposes, just my opinions of what I envision my ideal league to be.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll chime in:

First, I think in terms of owners you are farther along than is thought. Just reading through this thread you pretty much have everybody you need (not sure why Milk and TK got came up with such a small number).

Automatically in because they've been through a lot of MBBRL already would be:

Tlance
Treff
Sam
Barilko
Ram
Monkey

SportsHoopla B Leaguers from last year would be:
Micro
TK
Milk

- I would vouch for Micro (but don't get yourself banned, brah)
- TK got a pass back into the B League because a barn flew into his house, but since he did leave his team to the wind at the end of last season he should probably earn some more support before he's in as a MBBRL dynasty league owner
- Milk's been active the whole time, but did of course get banned, so he should probably need to earn some votes too

Newbies are:
Steelers
Xpo
obx

They all have been pretty good posters dating back to last year and have been active on this thread and will be in the MBBRL beginning this year.

And then there are:

Zep
outlaw okie

- Zep may be tepid about a league he doesn't help build, but maybe he can help hash out the rules.
- outlaw okie has kept his hand in.

That actually makes 14, although Monkey is definitely out if it starts this year. So you should have no trouble getting to 12 .

Of course as Treff said, nothing here should prevent anybody from making their own SportsHoopla dynasty league with whatever rules they want.

But for the MBBRL I totally agree with Treff from a roster/scoring perspective. Since the initial draft is a once-in-a-lifetime event, though, I don't think an auction would be un-MBBRL, so from my non-participating perspective that can still be on the table.

Seems the question before that would be: how many keepers? (I imagine the number should be somewhere between 10 and 14)

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the sound of this, I missed out in the b league due to moving... But I'm available if this goes forward

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll chime in:

First, I think in terms of owners you are farther along than is thought. Just reading through this thread you pretty much have everybody you need (not sure why Milk and TK got came up with such a small number).

Automatically in because they've been through a lot of MBBRL already would be:

Tlance
Treff
Sam
Barilko
Ram
Monkey

SportsHoopla B Leaguers from last year would be:
Micro
TK
Milk

- I would vouch for Micro (but don't get yourself banned, brah)
- TK got a pass back into the B League because a barn flew into his house, but since he did leave his team to the wind at the end of last season he should probably earn some more support before he's in as a MBBRL dynasty league owner
- Milk's been active the whole time, but did of course get banned, so he should probably need to earn some votes too

Newbies are:
Steelers
Xpo
obx

They all have been pretty good posters dating back to last year and have been active on this thread and will be in the MBBRL beginning this year.

And then there are:

Zep
outlaw okie

- Zep may be tepid about a league he doesn't help build, but maybe he can help hash out the rules.
- outlaw okie has kept his hand in.

That actually makes 14, although Monkey is definitely out if it starts this year. So you should have no trouble getting to 12 .

Of course as Treff said, nothing here should prevent anybody from making their own SportsHoopla dynasty league with whatever rules they want.

But for the MBBRL I totally agree with Treff from a roster/scoring perspective. Since the initial draft is a once-in-a-lifetime event, though, I don't think an auction would be un-MBBRL, so from my non-participating perspective that can still be on the table.

Seems the question before that would be: how many keepers? (I imagine the number should be somewhere between 10 and 14)

Just to be clear, I would not at all be opposed to joining a league I didn't help build. My main reason for not putting my name in the hat up to this point is because I have over extended myself in the past with the # of leagues I've done and do not want to put myself in a position where I'm not putting in the effort/time I should. If I'm being completely honest I have to say I probably do 2-3 more leagues per season than I really have time for. I was at 8 coming into this season but 1 of those was disbanded and another I left so I'm at 6 right now. Having said all that I would consider the one your all proposing if the structure was one everyone could agree upon.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I'm not a MBBRL member or currently in a position to become one at this time I have some thoughts on this that may be helpful in this regard:
  • Aside from the specifics of his post, TREFFs post should leave any of you reading it feeling as though he is the kind of owner you want in a Dynasty league.
  • As some of you may have read in a previous post I made I am working on the structure & bylaws of a new Dynasty league I plan starting next year. A couple of my reasons for pushing it out to next season may be pertinent to this discussion. Dynasty leagues have more going on than even keeper leagues. They require year-round participation, more time spent managing them(if you want to be competitive), and are much more difficult to find replacement owners for. Because of this it pays to be more selective when recruiting potential owners. For this reason I plan to recruit during the season, rather than pre-season, to avoid the mentality that alot of fantasy players have which is "I want more leagues so I can do more drafts!!". Those are not the most dedicated people and are the kind who join more leagues than they can realistically manage so they end up abandoning the ones they aren't doing well in. You want the people in your dynasty league to think of it as one of if not their top priority among their stable of leagues. This may not be a sound strategy on my part but
  • "Can keep up to 4 keepers......" That's a keeper league rather than a Dynasty league where teams retain most of if not their entire roster from season to season.
  • Drafting is different in the inaugural season of a dynasty league versus all subsequent seasons. Typically you'll have a standard snake or auction draft that encompasses the entire pool of NFL players(often including rookies) for your initial draft. Each year afterwards you would have 2 drafts, a rookie draft sometime after the NFL draft is completed, and a FA draft sometime around the time most "standard" leagues draft.
  • Since most dynasty leagues operate year-round it makes sense to pick your host site based on how much of the year you have league access. Yahoo & ESPN shut down their FFB leagues(non-dynasty ones at least) during the NFL off-season. Unless they operate differently for dynasty leagues then neither would make good hosts. I am planing to use Fantasy Football League Management from MyFantasyLeague.com to host my dynasty league as they have year-round access and some of the most customizable settings out there including % of non-starter(bench) points towards team score. This means your bench can now score for you as in actual NFL games. If you set it to .25% for bench players an example would be if you have a bench player score what would have been 8 points as a started so he then scores you 2 points.
  • I'm toying with the idea of starting my league at a few more teams than I might otherwise think ideal. My thinking here is if I start with 14 or 16 teams I can then simply decrease the # of teams as a way of dealing with any abandoned teams or owners who the rest of the league find unworthy of being in the league.

Please keep in mind that these points aren't "right or wrong" for dynasty purposes, just my opinions of what I envision my ideal league to be.

A couple of other points I forgot are:
  • I strongly recommend that the structure/bylaws be put in writing & all prospective owners agree to everything before the league is set.
  • I believe it's best to have a committee rather than a single commish for a dynasty league as it keeps 1 owner from being saddled with managing it himself. A commish & a couple of co-commish's would suffice.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, I would not at all be opposed to joining a league I didn't help build. My main reason for not putting my name in the hat up to this point is because I have over extended myself in the past with the # of leagues I've done and do not want to put myself in a position where I'm not putting in the effort/time I should. If I'm being completely honest I have to say I probably do 2-3 more leagues per season than I really have time for. I was at 8 coming into this season but 1 of those was disbanded and another I left so I'm at 6 right now. Having said all that I would consider the one your all proposing if the structure was one everyone could agree upon.

I almost always end up making the time to manage my leagues but it's usually at the expense of something else like my gf or social life. ;-)

Hi, my name is Mark and I've been a fantasy football addict for the last 16 years. ;-)

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi mark... Thanks for sharing... I am an addict as well for the last 15 years... My wife was tired of my fantasy teams... So I signed her up for a league and now she is almost as bad as me...

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi mark... Thanks for sharing... I am an addict as well for the last 15 years... My wife was tired of my fantasy teams... So I signed her up for a league and now she is almost as bad as me...

Great story. I met my longtime gf on the FFB forum @ ESPN com.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you lucky devils... FF helps me escape the wife life cant hack anymore tv couch time

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice.. So she knows the priorities

No, she doesn't do the FFB thing anymore. Just did it for awhile because her bro-in-law started a family league and talked her into joining it. She decided she wanted to join one more for the extra experience and logged into ESPNs FFB forum and posted that she was looking for a league to join. I invited her into one of mine and the rest is history. Unfortunately even when she did it she wasn't happy with the amount of time i vested in it.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good for you! Mine hates it so bad that a few of us actually started a website called "My Wife Hates Sundays" and named it after her................true story.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Will I really appriciate the mentioning of my name in there! However, if we do it this year I'd have to decline as I'm at league limit and if you guys read my above post you'll know why. IF for some reason you guys can't get it going this year I'd drop one of my leagues and join..............either way, you guys should do what ever it is you can do. Shit Will, you should take a spot if they get it going this year.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why isnt wil in?
He's retired....................doesn't seem like though huh? Not complaining but Will has been on the boards almost as much as usuall so far this year. That's a good thing. Now if he'd just draft a damn team (of his own).

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm out... but I slipped and drafted a Coma team (and three of my four RBs are already out), and I'll be subbing for Duff in tomorrow's MBBRL draft... and I'll probably run the rankings game.... But that's it.