• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dynasty 1

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand... @Microwahevo , what is the deal here?
The deal is this(and sorry if this may be long winded):

I don't feel what I did was tanking. I tried putting together what I thought was a winning formula even starting back to last season when I traded for an injured Charles thinking he'd be a full go this entire year. I had injuries pile up and there came a point in this season where winning the championship, and even making the playoffs wasn't in the realm of possibilities for me. I recognized that and took the approach of trying to get better for the future. If that meant I sat Cooper for one game, then that's what I did.

Isn't the main goal of any fantasy team to win championships? Otherwise, why do we do this? And if I win 1 or 2 or 3 meaningless games at the end of a brutal season, how does that help me improve? Sure, I hate losing like anyone else, but I hate "competing" with a shitty team year in and year out as well. So I tried to put out a team that COULD win during the week, but more than likely WOULD lose. Everyone has their own strategies, and just b/c one or two people don't agree, doesn't mean there aren't others out there that DO agree. Hell, I even heard Mike Greenberg discuss this very topic when discussing the Browns a few weeks ago. There wasn't much left to play for other than a draft spot imo.

Let me give you a prime example. Last season, in this very league, I should have gotten the #1 pick. Go look back at the "Season Review" thread I made on the Fantrax home page. For some reason, when I went back months later, I must have looked at a different week or something b/c I ended up becoming the 4th pick. And I realized that mistake after the draft, but didn't say a word b/c the draft was over and I wasn't going to go through that mess. And even throughout the making of the final draft order, we had steelers whining about whether he should be 3rd or 4th. And it got hashed out. But let's not forget that he was whining back then, and here he is whining again. So let's not act like he doesn't care where he drafts, b/c it's obvious he does. And that is perfectly fine, we're here to put forth the best team right??I could've whined once I realized my mistake after the draft, but it was what it was. And did it potentially hurt my team? You betcha. I missed on the 3 RBs I was targeting, and was left drafting what I thought was the best receiver(a thought held by many as well) who has barely played a lick this year. But what would my team look like with Zeke instead of Treadwell? My guess is we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

So you guys can go ahead and consider what I did tanking, that's your right. But it's also my right to compete how I feel necessary and keep whatever players I feel necessary on my team. So what if I want Vareen on my squad? Had he not gotten hurt he could've been a nice fill-in at RB. And I kept him thinking he would do that again if need be. There are players on anyone's roster that you could look at and say "well I would've dropped him". But it's not YOUR team to control.

I still put out the best team I can in the MBBRL redraft bc there IS something to play for....spoiler. And if I beat a potential playoff team, then there's satisfaction in that. But dynasty leagues are different. The difference between 1 or 2 more wins can really alter your draft spot. And in a league full of guys that really know their shit, draft picks are very valuable. In a redraft, our draft spot isn't a direct result of how we finished the following year. Dynasties are. Plain and simple. And I am trying to compete to win championships. And I can't do that if I can't build through the draft as well as other methods.

I hope I haven't forgotten any of my thoughts. I think I've said what I wanted to get out. Whether you agree or not is on you. And it won't change my way of thinking when playing dynasty leagues. The object is to win championships, each and every year. Everybody has different strategies. So if steelers wants to bench his entire team, go for it. If you want to drop IR players just to make sure you have a fully active roster, go for it.

And one last thing. @broncosmitty you can take as many personal shots as you wish. I'm over it bro. It's well documented that we don't have the greatest opinions of each other. But it's done imo. I have priorities in life that don't center around taking shots at someone over a message board. I've got a brand new 8-month old girl at home to enjoy time with. I have 2 boys that are at some kind of sports practice week in and week out. My Cubbies FINALLY won the World Series. The Lions are in a playoff push. I've had a busy and exciting year. So feel free to "get personal". I honestly am over it, and feel it's time you get over it too.

Again, sorry everyone for the length of this post, but I felt I needed to get out my thoughts as to why I do what I do.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I for one can fully understand the pain of a bad team (I have several this yr due to injuries, bad lineup decisions and trades that went south. But I have never left a position blank since participating in fantasy football - although I admit this is my first dynasty. In many leagues it is not even an option to do so as it results in an illegal lineup. The penalty is a zero for the week (in this case that would not really be a penalty - so we'll need to do something different).
There are easy ways to resolve the issue of "tanking" real or imagined. When we established this league I don't think anyone thought this would become an issue - but it obviously has.
Basically, the setup rules need some revision which is simple enough to do. Change the 'minimum' line up to match the number of starter required to field a team and change the bench to a maximum of 9. This will not prevent someone from using a player on IR or bye in one of those slots, but I think we can all appreciate the fact that you may not want to drop them for some random guy capable of 3pts.
As for illegal lineups - establish a stiff penalty - say loss of a draft spot or a move back 2 spots in the draft order for each one or two violation (would need discussion).

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on a side note. i'll make this easy, im out after this season, perhaps let lefty/fuzzy take my squad

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im thinking so.....i find it funny im whining, yet its the same person thats causing issues....

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im thinking so.....i find it funny im whining, yet its the same person thats causing issues....
Well, I'll just say this, and leave ya to whatever you think you need to do.

First personally I want you to stick around and work this out. I can't imagine this being that big of a deal..to me it isn't at least. maybe it is to you and I get that, not trying to invalidate your opinion, but to me, this is something the league can work out and move forward.
Secondly, I don't think you're whining at all. you've got valid concerns and have strong opinions on them. nothing wrong with voicing those things, in my opinion. I happen to agree with those concerns. however,I also understand that morals/ethics/whatever word you choose to use, are subjective and there are different levels that everyone thinks is acceptable or not acceptable. To me, not putting in what should potentially be your absolute best lineup every week is a "no no". But, given our circumstances, I understand why someone would choose to play it a little loose,and I'm OK with "a little loose", even though I personally wouldn't do that. I guess it comes down to just how egregious you feel an incident is. in this case, even though I don't necessarily think Micro was putting his best foot forward, I can't say that it was definitively tanking. I personally wouldn't justify hanging onto lost causes like Gordon, or even Semien and not filling 2 active RB slots, but that's not my team,and even though I don't like it, I can't get upset because he's the one that's gotta run it.

I don't know if I'm saying this to try and change your mind, or if it's an effort to help you see a different point of view, or even if it's nothing more just me talking myself into not making a big deal about it...but at the end of it all, I'd greatly prefer us all working the stuff out and moving forward.

So, yea,..take some time, let it cool off before masking a final decision

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit reading after the admission of tanking. Without an admission of tanking.

I'm with SP.

I'm out. Been fun. But I'm tired.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit reading after the admission of tanking. Without an admission of tanking.

I'm with SP.

I'm out. Been fun. But I'm tired.
Uh oh...okay ya'll..one guy leaves we can handle things, but if we've got a snowball effect going on here, we've gotta address this issue..like yesterday, or we'll all be out, since the league will just dissolve

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh...okay ya'll..one guy leaves we can handle things, but if we've got a snowball effect going on here, we've gotta address this issue..like yesterday, or we'll all be out, since the league will just dissolve
I should've backed out when you guys voted him in as commish.

That was my mistake.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'll just say this, and leave ya to whatever you think you need to do.

First personally I want you to stick around and work this out. I can't imagine this being that big of a deal..to me it isn't at least. maybe it is to you and I get that, not trying to invalidate your opinion, but to me, this is something the league can work out and move forward.
Secondly, I don't think you're whining at all. you've got valid concerns and have strong opinions on them. nothing wrong with voicing those things, in my opinion. I happen to agree with those concerns. however,I also understand that morals/ethics/whatever word you choose to use, are subjective and there are different levels that everyone thinks is acceptable or not acceptable. To me, not putting in what should potentially be your absolute best lineup every week is a "no no". But, given our circumstances, I understand why someone would choose to play it a little loose,and I'm OK with "a little loose", even though I personally wouldn't do that. I guess it comes down to just how egregious you feel an incident is. in this case, even though I don't necessarily think Micro was putting his best foot forward, I can't say that it was definitively tanking. I personally wouldn't justify hanging onto lost causes like Gordon, or even Semien and not filling 2 active RB slots, but that's not my team,and even though I don't like it, I can't get upset because he's the one that's gotta run it.

I don't know if I'm saying this to try and change your mind, or if it's an effort to help you see a different point of view, or even if it's nothing more just me talking myself into not making a big deal about it...but at the end of it all, I'd greatly prefer us all working the stuff out and moving forward.

So, yea,..take some time, let it cool off before masking a final decision

Couldn't agree more. Especially the parts of SP staying, and that this is easily fixable. IR slots will do the job, imo.

Example: in D2, I have Eifert. I benched him against the Ravens (Weddle), for Will Tye. That could be seen as tanking by some, but alas it was just my dumbass gut. (Extra coverage on Eifert and Tye vs the Browns) It massively backfired and was the difference between Joe and I... not the same thing true, but still. Having IR slots would have given Micro the opportunity to add a couple of carries to his RB1/2.... although I'm not sure results would be different at least it looks better.

The Cooper thing doesn't bother me as much (see my example). Benching Luck for Semien would have been the right call back in week 9 (I think) but he didn't. Maybe that was the turning point to his starting Os and Semien? Who knows

Point is, it happens every week, some bum outscores a stud. So lineup decisions are not my concern.... just injured ones.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't agree more. Especially the parts of SP staying, and that this is easily fixable. IR slots will do the job, imo.

Example: in D2, I have Eifert. I benched him against the Ravens (Weddle), for Will Tye. That could be seen as tanking by some, but alas it was just my dumbass gut. (Extra coverage on Eifert and Tye vs the Browns) It massively backfired and was the difference between Joe and I... not the same thing true, but still. Having IR slots would have given Micro the opportunity to add a couple of carries to his RB1/2.... although I'm not sure results would be different at least it looks better.

The Cooper thing doesn't bother me as much (see my example). Benching Luck for Semien would have been the right call back in week 9 (I think) but he didn't. Maybe that was the turning point to his starting Os and Semien? Who knows

Point is, it happens every week, some bum outscores a stud. So lineup decisions are not my concern.... just injured ones.

As my post early states, the issue is one that can easily be fixed - next yr or perhaps now if it calms nerves. A league setting requiring each slot in a starting lineup to be filled. As well as a maximum bench size. This does not prevent using a player on IR, hurt or on bye - but there are reasons in dynasty that you may not want to drop someone to fill a one or two week player. That fixes some of the issue but not all. As stated earlier, failure to have a full lineup would result in an 'illegal' lineup and zero pts - for some that may actually accomplish the goal. But if a league imposed penalty for illegal lineups is put in place where say, a next yr draft order adjustment of two spots farther down is imposed, everyone would pay attention and do everything to ensure that doesn't happen to them.
There is no perfect setup, almost all rely on the individual but if a few rule changes can 'fix' an issue it is certainly better than destroying the league.
BTW - I also love the idea of one or 2 IR spots.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there came a point in this season where winning the championship, and even making the playoffs wasn't in the realm of possibilities for me.

Yes and I'm sure there are plenty of other teams in the same boat for various reasons.

I recognized that and took the approach of trying to get better for the future. If that meant I sat Cooper for one game, then that's what I did.

The problem with this is you could have numerous teams decide to follow your lead and really taint the whole season

And if I win 1 or 2 or 3 meaningless games at the end of a brutal season, how does that help me improve?

It doesn't help at all obvious. You try to win anyway for the good of the league. Can't have a bunch of teams aiming for the top pick by purposely losing especially if your not even trying to be subtle. That would obvious kill a league.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any time you field what you admit is a line up which helps you lose
you are destroying the league Period

so you lose and slip in the standings well good job you also tainted the overall standing by providing a win to a team that otherwise may have not won a thus effected the overall standing and playoff picture

Milk's idea which i was totally against in the MBBRL main leagues may very well work
here

non playoff teams play for the draft order

i do that in my league

i have to go now but ill post my idea later...it is somewhat comparable to what Milk anti'ed up in the main league