• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dynasty strategies

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A topic thats been on my mind lately. Strategy is crazy in dynasty. But if you guess wrong, you could be taking years to recoup. Im literally still untangling the screw ups I made immediately following the initial draft in MBBRL. Some folks turn things around quicker than others. Bandit has enough ammo for 6 teams, Barilko isnt right there too.

But in any dynasty league, how difficult do you all find it to make MAJOR moves? I think obviously league size is a HUGE determining factor. If its a 14+team dynasty, then you gotta make good moves. The player pool is watered down. Vice versa, if someone locks up a team of studs, its hard to break into being relevant. Ok done rambling

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the rookie draft is a major key- putting in the time and effort to identify those studs, or studs to be, and not just reading a quick blurb or two written by one of the same dudes who thought Jamis Winston was a great pick. Especially when it comes to those later guys...if you put in the time to see what Cooper Kupp was, or, say R. Stevenson or Chris Carson, or anyone similar, your ahead of the game. #1's are not the only picks worth anything, you just have to try harder with the others.

And never be afraid to pull the trigger on a move, be it a trade, an early season pickup on a guy youve heard whispers about in camp..whatever. Yeah you can blow it, but so what? You could also hit a homerun. Identify a target, acquire it and trust what you think you know. Sometimes you just don't know shit, other times you do.

The one thing I would say not to do? Don't make a move just to make a move. If you don't really like the guy your acquiring, and are only doing it to fill a roster spot, or satisfy an itch, or because you know the roster is bad and you have to do SOMETHING, stop and reset. If it's SO bad, play it out, never trade for young players, trade for picks, and build your team. If any young players are worth trading for -baring an idiot in your league- they are cost prohibitive to acquire. #2's cost little to nothing, #3's are toss ins..go get some and start studying those mid to late RB/WR's. Yes, it'll take time, it'll take longer the other way.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A topic thats been on my mind lately. Strategy is crazy in dynasty. But if you guess wrong, you could be taking years to recoup. Im literally still untangling the screw ups I made immediately following the initial draft in MBBRL. Some folks turn things around quicker than others. Bandit has enough ammo for 6 teams, Barilko isnt right there too.

But in any dynasty league, how difficult do you all find it to make MAJOR moves? I think obviously league size is a HUGE determining factor. If its a 14+team dynasty, then you gotta make good moves. The player pool is watered down. Vice versa, if someone locks up a team of studs, its hard to break into being relevant. Ok done rambling

League rules also make a difference. With D2 being PPR and D1 being regular scoring, you have to value players differently in each league. Always look at the league rules and scoring.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League rules also make a difference. With D2 being PPR and D1 being regular scoring, you have to value players differently in each league. Always look at the league rules and scoring.
One of the things I love about being in both..the stark contrast from one to the other. My only wish was that both were made with the same number of teams, so it'd be a more direct comparison.
16 teams or larger? Definitely enters into a whole different ball game though, really ups the value of those positions where there's only 32 viable options that exist..QB, D/St, TE, even the kicker, to some extent. Every NFL team has multiple RB/WR's who will at least score something any given week. Not many, if any, have multiple QB's where you know they'll both play any given Sunday.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the rookie draft is a major key- putting in the time and effort to identify those studs, or studs to be, and not just reading a quick blurb or two written by one of the same dudes who thought Jamis Winston was a great pick. Especially when it comes to those later guys...if you put in the time to see what Cooper Kupp was, or, say R. Stevenson or Chris Carson, or anyone similar, your ahead of the game. #1's are not the only picks worth anything, you just have to try harder with the others.

And never be afraid to pull the trigger on a move, be it a trade, an early season pickup on a guy youve heard whispers about in camp..whatever. Yeah you can blow it, but so what? You could also hit a homerun. Identify a target, acquire it and trust what you think you know. Sometimes you just don't know shit, other times you do.

The one thing I would say not to do? Don't make a move just to make a move. If you don't really like the guy your acquiring, and are only doing it to fill a roster spot, or satisfy an itch, or because you know the roster is bad and you have to do SOMETHING, stop and reset. If it's SO bad, play it out, never trade for young players, trade for picks, and build your team. If any young players are worth trading for -baring an idiot in your league- they are cost prohibitive to acquire. #2's cost little to nothing, #3's are toss ins..go get some and start studying those mid to late RB/WR's. Yes, it'll take time, it'll take longer the other way.
The last paragraph was my downfall. @Chef99 and @HaroldSeattle and I went a little crazy initially. Ive actually been having a view lately of trading picks for proven players....not sure if its the right move though. I love finding round 2-3-4 value though.
Absolutely!
One of the things I love about being in both..the stark contrast from one to the other. My only wish was that both were made with the same number of teams, so it'd be a more direct comparison.
16 teams or larger? Definitely enters into a whole different ball game though, really ups the value of those positions where there's only 32 viable options that exist..QB, D/St, TE, even the kicker, to some extent. Every NFL team has multiple RB/WR's who will at least score something any given week. Not many, if any, have multiple QB's where you know they'll both play any given Sunday.
Yeah very good point, not to mention superflex leagues. Not that you are referring to that, but also vastly limits the qb pool. TE premium too

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D2 was my first attempt at dynasty. My biggest mistake was just drafting like it was a redraft.

Think the best advice came from @ehb5 to target WR early. So my next dynasty draft i did just that and it has paid off.

But in any dynasty league, how difficult do you all find it to make MAJOR moves?
Its difficult. I am only in 2 dynasty leagues, but player value by each owner is usually the biggest problem.

2-for-1 trades are usually a given that someone is parting with a pair of older, past-their-window players for your young star. Those are usually easy to decline.

IMO trades should be a win/win, yet should sting each owner too. Not sure most owners follow that philosophy.
:2cents:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in any dynasty league, how difficult do you all find it to make MAJOR moves?
Forgot to answer this part-
For me, that's entirely dependant upon the other owners. Sometimes you've got multiple owners who love making those major moves, sometimes you don't. I've never had a problem doing 'blockbusters' in most any league, but thatsonly because the other owners were willing accomplices. If you've got willing partners, easy, if not, damned near impossible...and, you do have to have big time pieces your willing to move in order to make big time moves too though. Lacking the capital will also make it very hard. If your best trade chip is a probable high #1 pick, gonna be tough to pull off a big deal.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D2 was my first attempt at dynasty. My biggest mistake was just drafting like it was a redraft.

Think the best advice came from @ehb5 to target WR early. So my next dynasty draft i did just that and it has paid off.

Its difficult. I am only in 2 dynasty leagues, but player value by each owner is usually the biggest problem.

2-for-1 trades are usually a given that someone is parting with a pair of older, past-their-window players for your young star. Those are usually easy to decline.

IMO trades should be a win/win, yet should sting each owner too. Not sure most owners follow that philosophy.
:2cents:
Definitely sounds like EHB5 :) and not bad advice fer sure, especially PPR and/or 3WR or more starting slots

I don't mind a win win, or the sting, but I do need to win an aspect of the deal to make it worth my time and effort. Only time I ever am willing to absorb the sting is if I really score a great asset, or have great depth wherever the sting hits.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jmo. But in all fantasy formats there is no golden strategy. You can make anything work, if it works. And just like every format people find what works for them.

The only strategy I would recommend in all larger dynasties is to make sure you have at least 2 starting QBs.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
general advice:
- push chips in and go for it if you are in the playoff hunt
- try to avoid being the best team that doesn't make the playoffs
- if you don't make the playoffs or aren't in the hunt, you need to be trading away your vets, ideally to the fringe playoff teams but the top dogs typically are most interested in buying vets with their 1st or 2nd round picks

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
general advice:
- push chips in and go for it if you are in the playoff hunt
- try to avoid being the best team that doesn't make the playoffs
- if you don't make the playoffs or aren't in the hunt, you need to be trading away your vets, ideally to the fringe playoff teams but the top dogs typically are most interested in buying vets with their 1st or 2nd round picks
This is very good advice.
That said, @SteelersPride did ask if trading is a major problem.
And even given these prime windows to buy/sell, i get the sense that a playoff team is still more likely to try to get something for nothing for fear of losing value on their bench.
Cant see many nonplayoff teams jumping at an offer that includes losing their best or 2nd best player for a pair of fringe guys and a 3rd round pick that probably wont make a roster.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to answer this part-
For me, that's entirely dependant upon the other owners. Sometimes you've got multiple owners who love making those major moves, sometimes you don't. I've never had a problem doing 'blockbusters' in most any league, but thatsonly because the other owners were willing accomplices. If you've got willing partners, easy, if not, damned near impossible...and, you do have to have big time pieces your willing to move in order to make big time moves too though. Lacking the capital will also make it very hard. If your best trade chip is a probable high #1 pick, gonna be tough to pull off a big deal.
In the case of @Bandit you only need to berate @The Foot into trades, then your set for the next decade

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even given these prime windows to buy/sell, i get the sense that a playoff team is still more likely to try to get something for nothing for fear of losing value on their bench.

a bit harder, but some trade specific advice:
- Player-valuation conversations should move away from ADP-based values and into tier-based values
- be upfront/open about what you want or what you are trying to get out of the trade
^even if it seems like a high ask, fire away, set the line in the sand, cause you never know, someone might make a counter that's close enough to your asking price to get you to pull the trigger

league nuance/culture/familiarity/etc plays a major role in facilitating trades from my experience. seems like there's high tide/low tide for activity, often patterned around major seasonal milestones - rookie draft, start of season, trade deadline - but sometimes pop out of no where with a quick surge of different deals all happening in a short time frame. Seeing other deals get completed both narrows the field of trade partners and also increases the pressure to push deals that are close into the end zone.

knowing what position/player your trade partner needs can easily be assessed by looking at their roster, but knowing their tendencies and trade preferences can only happen through discussion or negotiation and playing with them for multiple seasons.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a bit harder, but some trade specific advice:
- Player-valuation conversations should move away from ADP-based values and into tier-based values
- be upfront/open about what you want or what you are trying to get out of the trade
^even if it seems like a high ask, fire away, set the line in the sand, cause you never know, someone might make a counter that's close enough to your asking price to get you to pull the trigger

league nuance/culture/familiarity/etc plays a major role in facilitating trades from my experience. seems like there's high tide/low tide for activity, often patterned around major seasonal milestones - rookie draft, start of season, trade deadline - but sometimes pop out of no where with a quick surge of different deals all happening in a short time frame. Seeing other deals get completed both narrows the field of trade partners and also increases the pressure to push deals that are close into the end zone.

knowing what position/player your trade partner needs can easily be assessed by looking at their roster, but knowing their tendencies and trade preferences can only happen through discussion or negotiation and playing with them for multiple seasons.
This is good n all.. but not everyone has this same mindset. Or time.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the case of @Bandit you only need to berate @The Foot into trades, then your set for the next decade
If by berate you mean accept the offer he came up with then you are correct. And it was only two future 1sts and two future 2nds, which have done us absolutely no good since our piece of shit team falls apart in the playoffs every year.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I got the Foot a few times myself- bent him over a barrel for the right to draft Henry Ruggs for one, however, I know I've won big deals with Foot, and others, yourself included, and I've lost big deal with virtually everyone, Foot included. I know Barilko and myself have exchanged numerous big wins and losses over the years. But, the thing is that can be strategy too. If you know there are members of your league who will pay premiums of certain types of players-whether that's, as in Foot's case- the speed attribute, or if that's where they went to college, or what NFL team they play on--or in my case, a big back that can handle 25 carries a game -yes I'll still pay too much for a damned near 30 year old Henry, and I drafted Brian Robinson higher than any one else would've, same with Stevenson, and I'll do it again with the next guy I like. I know it, and I'll still do it regardless, because that's what I like on my team.. But, if you know an owner will pay premiums for "his guys", recognizing it, and acting upon it, IMHO is good strategy. It's an avenue that is open for all owners to observe and to act on, some just do it better.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is good n all.. but not everyone has this same mindset. Or time.

in dynasty, time is the one resource that doesn't run out, at least until the league folds or you do

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in dynasty, time is the one resource that doesn't run out, at least until the league folds or you do
I guess i'm a lazy owner then.
If i get an offer and i dont immediately think, "oh, i wouldnt mind owning him" then the deal probably wont happen.

Some owners will do a write up for reasons why i should consider it. Meh. If you have to convince me, its another strike against.

By the same token, if i make an offer and someone declines, not gonna start scowering his roster for alternatives. I went after who i wanted. His answer was no. Time to move on.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess i'm a lazy owner then.
If i get an offer and i dont immediately think, "oh, i wouldnt mind owning him" then the deal probably wont happen.

Some owners will do a write up for reasons why i should consider it. Meh. If you have to convince me, its another strike against.

By the same token, if i make an offer and someone declines, not gonna start scowering his roster for alternatives. I went after who i wanted. His answer was no. Time to move on.

doesn't seem like a strategy for actively trading at all, quite the opposite if you don't even bother to look over rosters to see if another player works in an offer that you got that came up a little short.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last paragraph was my downfall. @Chef99 and @HaroldSeattle and I went a little crazy initially. Ive actually been having a view lately of trading picks for proven players....not sure if its the right move though. I love finding round 2-3-4 value though.

Absolutely!

Yeah very good point, not to mention superflex leagues. Not that you are referring to that, but also vastly limits the qb pool. TE premium too
I do a lot of trading guys for picks then trade the picks for guys.

Not saying it’s a proven winner, i finished last in as many leagues as I won last year. But it’s much easier to rebuild a roster going that route than hoping you hit on a majority of your picks.

Your roster ends up with a lower ceiling, but should have a much higher floor.