• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight is intrigued by the Mavs & Rockets

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more importantly, list the teams interested in Howard.

and yes, I do believe teams will throw their hat in the ring..not to sign him but drive up the contract. Unless of course, LA can do a sign and trade or someone offers the max.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course the idiot Hawks just sit idly by and let another great player slip away... as usual. The Hawks are a one-and-done playoff team as long as the present ownership controls the franchise. I wish they would move to Seattle so we could get a fresh team with an owner like Arthur Blank who wants to win a title!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't Short Buss? He has been heavily involved the last few years and the team's salary has been as high as ever. The Lakers plan was to compete with this team, pay the large tax bill, then rebuild/reload around Dwight in 2014/2015 when all that salary comes off the books.

By the way, it doesn't come out of only Short Buss' pocket. He has siblings who own a same percentage, Dr. Soon-Shiong bought out Magic's percentage, and Phillip Anshutz owns a percentage.

Why wouldn't he? Because perhaps he dislikes paying tax more than his father for starters.......he's never been the one calling the shots before, so to say he was cool with it until now is not exactly being honest.

THIS year is a new salary cap. It was one thing to pay about 20-30 million in tax. It's a whole nother ball game to pay close to 100 million.

There is not a single owner in ANY league that's willing to shell that out with no guaranteed titles.

I think maybe you should wise up a little......money talks. These are very large numbers we're talking here. There's no way in hell Jim isn't trying to find a way out of paying that kind of tax for nothing in return.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, i DO have to respect Arthur Blank. at least the Falcons are doing what it takes to try and win...

'sides, you got my boy Tony Gonzalez down there. i'd like to see him get ONE before he hangs 'em up...

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, i DO have to respect Arthur Blank. at least the Falcons are doing what it takes to try and win...

'sides, you got my boy Tony Gonzalez down there. i'd like to see him get ONE before he hangs 'em up...

So would I, bro, so would I. Of course I would have liked to have seen many good players that have retired here win a title. So far, no dice. Hopefully this coming year will be different. AT least we won a playoff game this year!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't he? Because perhaps he dislikes paying tax more than his father for starters.......he's never been the one calling the shots before, so to say he was cool with it until now is not exactly being honest.

THIS year is a new salary cap. It was one thing to pay about 20-30 million in tax. It's a whole nother ball game to pay close to 100 million.

There is not a single owner in ANY league that's willing to shell that out with no guaranteed titles.

I think maybe you should wise up a little......money talks. These are very large numbers we're talking here. There's no way in hell Jim isn't trying to find a way out of paying that kind of tax for nothing in return.

The front office knew about the new salary cap rules and luxury tax scale before now. They've known that after next season they will have a very large tax bill to pay. They seem somewhat content in that though. They could have traded Gasol's contract for expiring ones but didn't. They can chose not to resign Dwight which would save significant money, but Dwight is their number 1 focus this off season. They traded picks for 3 seasons of Nash. Why would they do that if they wanted to save money? They aren't amnestying Kobe.

This has been the plan of the front office. Spend the money to surround Kobe his last couple of years and then rebuild/reload around Dwight when they have significant cap space in 2014/2015. They've known full well the tax implications.

Explain getting nothing in return. They may not have won a playoff game this season, but that is not the only thing to consider here. They are selling out all their home games. They sell merchandise like crazy. They have a huge TV deal. I bet the Lakers are still profitable this season and next regardless of the impending tax bills.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office knew about the new salary cap rules and luxury tax scale before now. They've known that after next season they will have a very large tax bill to pay. They seem somewhat content in that though. They could have traded Gasol's contract for expiring ones but didn't. They can chose not to resign Dwight which would save significant money, but Dwight is their number 1 focus this off season. They traded picks for 3 seasons of Nash. Why would they do that if they wanted to save money? They aren't amnestying Kobe.

This has been the plan of the front office. Spend the money to surround Kobe his last couple of years and then rebuild/reload around Dwight when they have significant cap space in 2014/2015. They've known full well the tax implications.

Explain getting nothing in return. They may not have won a playoff game this season, but that is not the only thing to consider here. They are selling out all their home games. They sell merchandise like crazy. They have a huge TV deal. I bet the Lakers are still profitable this season and next regardless of the impending tax bills.

Exactly!! Some folks act like we're talking about the Lakers paying a huge tax bill for many seasons to come!! That is not the case!! As you point out, the Lakers knew this was coming and are as prepared for it as they can be!!

Do they WANT to pay $100 million in luxury tax? Of course not. But, this was the commitment they made to try and get 1 last ring or 2 with Kobe, before rebuilding around Dwight after next season. The deal with Time-Warner will go a long way towards easing the pain of that tax bill!!

It'll still hurt, just not as bad as it would most other teams!!

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Stephen A, Dwight wants Phil. 1 of 2 of the main reasons I said that he'd definitely be back is because they'd oust D'antoni if it came to that. They BETTER oust D'antoni or else.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are selling out all their home games. They sell merchandise like crazy. They have a huge TV deal. I bet the Lakers are still profitable this season and next regardless of the impending tax bills.

You would have to look long and hard to find as fanatic a fanbase as the Lakers have. They'll make millions like they always do, I have no doubt.

Darth_Tom

a.k.a. theseeker88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Dallas would sign him, but the Rockets don't need him since Asik is just as good of a big man.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to look long and hard to find as fanatic a fanbase as the Lakers have. They'll make millions like they always do, I have no doubt.

It's a little nuts to be honest!! On sportstalk radio out here, it's pretty much all Lakers, all the time!!

On one of the shows that I listen to, they tried to have a "No Laker Talk" day during the off-season and it failed miserably!! I don't think that they even made it out of the first hour before they gave up!!

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Stephen A, Dwight wants Phil. 1 of 2 of the main reasons I said that he'd definitely be back is because they'd oust D'antoni if it came to that. They BETTER oust D'antoni or else.

Finally. I've been saying this since at least January.

Glad to see it's all coming together.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biased much TLF?

I'm the biggest Steve Nash fan, but he can't stay healthy. Antoni doesn't know how to use Gasol (aging by the way) and they don't have any young talent to build around. If Howard stays in LA, it'll be 2012/2013 all over again.

Houston has "The Beard", Chandler Parsons, Omar Asik, and that kid with the goofy hair cut that went to Princeton... What's his face???

I know, I know! Asik and Howard couldn't get a free throw if it was half price, but I believe McHale could coach around that situation.

Hmmmm, I'd say Houston sounds legit, but what do I know...

TRIPLE 777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PREDICTION--DWIGHT HOWARD WILL NOT SIGN with the LAKERS.
LAKER FANS DONT GET UP YOUR HOPES,it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN--WORD
he will wind up with the ROCKETS or the MAVS

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember this thread?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
942912_10151679107811100_1589905512_n.jpg

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The desperation of the Lakers is pathetic.

Your the LAKERS. Begging Dwight Howard? REALLY? Fuck that guy. If he doesn't want to play for LA (and frankly, neither should you, he just doesn't fit) try to get something out of this with a sign and trade. I said it earlier.......Kupchak is a DUMBASS.

He signs a ton of ancient players, signs one of the worst coaches in the league TWICE in 2 years, doesn't trade his only asset when he had the chance, and if he DID resign him would be paying out 100 mill in luxury tax. Sorry LA fans, that's simply stupidity from the GM.