• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight is intrigued by the Mavs & Rockets

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-will was going to sign with Dallas until his feelings got hurt because Cuban wouldn't meet with him

Last year was a throw away..Cuban said that when the new CBA was signed. Dallas, if i remember right, has the cap space to sign DH and CPIII

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is the WORST possible decision for Dwight Howard of the 3 choices.

It is essentially the same situation as Los Angeles for less guaranteed money.

Dallas does not have the young core that looks to be going upwards. They are an older team with an aging franchise face player looking to maybe improve with the 2014 class.

Houston is the only other viable choice besides Los Angeles.

Dallas is by far and away the weakest choice of the 3 options listed.

Of course Dwight being the douchiest player in the league will ultimately sign with Dallas (immediately regretting it...along with Mavs fans as well) to make sure he is the talk of 2014, 2015, and 2016 trade rumors.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yawn:

Howard is a drama whore that doesn't have the talent and is too injury prone to be worthy of said drama.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on the anti Howard wagon for years now. I'd have rather we kept Chandler and Barea (altho we all knew someone would overpay him), Terry.......we need a PG in the worst way.

We have no shot at CP3, and I can't see getting Howard either. We DO have youth, but it's all on the bench. We need to dump Carter, Marion, and that bum Haywood. A good PG and solid frontcourt player and we're a problem in the West, believe that. The question is WHO is out there and who we can realistically get.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, no, I don't want Howard in Dallas..

Not even motivated shut his face version of several years ago?

I think this makes Dallas an inch better than LA. Only because of what we know, and don't know yet. We know Cuban will spend money and be aggressive in free agency. We do not know much about the new Buss and how he will be doing things. Long term though I tend to give the Lakers the nod because they have had the commitment to excellence much longer. Once again though, that was all Jerry.

After doing a little research on Jim Buss I have found 2 things. Talent, or at least a understanding of certain job importance*, has definitely skipped a generation. And B, it looks like he wants to rebuild for a more distant future with college talent rather than over priced veterans. I can not fault that line of thinking but that does not bode well for Kobe, Gasol. That would seem helpful for Dwight to want to stay.

*stated he thinks that 10 random bar fans will come up with the same evaluation of players that top scouts do.

Look up jock tax.

That is fkt up imo

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I've been saying but no one wants to listen.

Just because JERRY BUSS was willing to pay luxury tax does not mean JIM will.

Lakers are looking at close to 100 mill for a team that couldn't win one playoff game. That comes out of his pocket. I guarantee you he's not paying that next year, or any other year, for a team not guaranteed to win the title.

The problem he has is Kobe's 80 million. He has to find a way of getting that off the books without pissing off both Kobe and the fans.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strategically time a resurface of Kobe r*pe charges and then amnesty?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was thinking more along the lines of Dwight coming down hard on his ankle and knee.

keep-calm-and-sweep-the-leg-5.png

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do not hear that because players usually do not discuss their tax strategies publicly.

Fair enough, but I think my point remains that, by and large, athletes aren't flocking to Texas, Florida, etc. because of their taxes. If they were, you'd notice a trend in superstars going to these states, and that's just not the case. So either the taxes aren't all that different or there's something else that weighs significantly more in the mind of athletes. Regardless, the line of thinking that state income tax structures attract athletes should be put to rest.

Players do usually own houses in those places to skirt income tax but I believe that they must live there most of the year to qualify. This could prove difficult for some players or people who just prefer to live in one place. There may also be a stipulation on where you earned the money.

Howard's owned a home in Southern California for years before he joined the team. And your latter thought, that it's more about where you earned the money, is correct.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If winning is Howard's priority, then he better put a whole lot of thought into this decision. He is not a leader or even really a true number 1 option because he can't be trusted with the ball in game winning situation. With Houston, he would inherit Harden and a young core of up and coming players. Seems like the smartest move for him IMO.

This is one of the few times that the 16 titles argument is appropriate. I'll play that card. I'll also play the 'Southern California' card as well. Ever been to Houston?

As far as Howard not being a #1 option, I don't think any team or even Howard himself is trying to make him the sole option on a team, at all.

And if Houston were to actually acquire Howard this summer, much of that young core of up and coming players would be gone.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic SeeBS sports nothing new article. We knew before the Lakers season ended that Dwight would take his time making his decision and that Dallas and Houston would be suitors.

Dallas and the Lakers are in a similar position (ageing star player whose large salary comes off the books after the next season). Given the similar positions, I don't see why he would go to Dallas over Los Angeles. Los Angeles affords him many more off-court opportunities than Dallas (Houston too).

Houston certainly has an enticing roster. A young star in Harden. Good perimeter shooting. A nice b/u center. I thought one reason he wanted out of Orlando was that he was tired of playing in a small market. I don't think Houston is a much bigger market than Orlando.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic SeeBS sports nothing new article. We knew before the Lakers season ended that Dwight would take his time making his decision and that Dallas and Houston would be suitors.

Dallas and the Lakers are in a similar position (ageing star player whose large salary comes off the books after the next season). Given the similar positions, I don't see why he would go to Dallas over Los Angeles. Los Angeles affords him many more off-court opportunities than Dallas (Houston too).

Houston certainly has an enticing roster. A young star in Harden. Good perimeter shooting. A nice b/u center. I thought one reason he wanted out of Orlando was that he was tired of playing in a small market. I don't think Houston is a much bigger market than Orlando.

To the UL/B

That argument is tired. Off court opportunities such as? going to the beach maybe. Did you mean advertising becsause thats certianly not true.

Houston is the 10th larget market, media wise, in the nation. It's much larger than Orlando. 3x larger.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I've been saying but no one wants to listen.

Just because JERRY BUSS was willing to pay luxury tax does not mean JIM will.

Lakers are looking at close to 100 mill for a team that couldn't win one playoff game. That comes out of his pocket. I guarantee you he's not paying that next year, or any other year, for a team not guaranteed to win the title.

The problem he has is Kobe's 80 million. He has to find a way of getting that off the books without pissing off both Kobe and the fans.

Why wouldn't Short Buss? He has been heavily involved the last few years and the team's salary has been as high as ever. The Lakers plan was to compete with this team, pay the large tax bill, then rebuild/reload around Dwight in 2014/2015 when all that salary comes off the books.

By the way, it doesn't come out of only Short Buss' pocket. He has siblings who own a same percentage, Dr. Soon-Shiong bought out Magic's percentage, and Phillip Anshutz owns a percentage.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the UL/B

That argument is tired. Off court opportunities such as? going to the beach maybe. Did you mean advertising becsause thats certianly not true.

Houston is the 10th larget market, media wise, in the nation. It's much larger than Orlando. 3x larger.

The argument isn't tired. The bigger the market the more opportunity. Didn't know Houston was the 10th largest market (only NBA teams?). That is significantly bigger than Orlando.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, Dwight has said all season long that he was going to take his time re: this decision.

Reports are that he loves Los Angeles. The question is whether or not he loves it enough to stay with the Lakers.

It is also possible that this is being floated out there in order to gain leverage against the Lakers re: who the coach will be and who they will be looking to bring in after next season when the Lakers will have plenty of cap space.

For the Lakers, I don't believe that it really matters if Dwight stays or not. If he stays, great. The Lakers will re-build around him after next season. If he doesn't, then they will use the cap space after next season to bring in other top level players.

Either way, the Lakers will be just fine!! The only wild card in this is, as has been pointed out, Short Buss!! Does he have the same willingness to do whatever needs to be done to win?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Lakers, I don't believe that it really matters if Dwight stays or not. If he stays, great. The Lakers will re-build around him after next season. If he doesn't, then they will use the cap space after next season to bring in other top level players.

Either way, the Lakers will be just fine!! The only wild card in this is, as has been pointed out, Short Buss!! Does he have the same willingness to do whatever needs to be done to win?

Or the competency? I'm worried Jim Buss may be fine going all in small ball, for the sake of an uptempo team. He needs to realize Showtime played defense and in the post as well. He just doesn't have the right knowledge of the game IMO to be so involved in personnel, much less to be the final word trumping professionals.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the competency? I'm worried Jim Buss may be fine going all in small ball, for the sake of an uptempo team. He needs to realize Showtime played defense and in the post as well. He just doesn't have the right knowledge of the game IMO to be so involved in personnel, much less to be the final word trumping professionals.

I agree!! Part of the beauty of the way Dr. Buss ran the franchise was that he hired competent people and let them do their jobs (eben though word is that he was actually quite knowledgable himself). Hopefully, Short Buss will follow suit. Although I'm not terribly confident in that.

As for "small ball". That's fine, if he does it right. Technically, "small ball" is what the Heat play. They just combine it with tenacious perimeter defense and adequate post play.