• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Durant injury causing “confusion and angst” amongst teammates

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean....i tend to think the less minutes you play with more rest in between those minutes the less likely you are to injure yourself. I mean, am i missing something? Study after study after study shows that injuries are far more likely to occur when fatigue sets in and after not playing for a month playing 12 out of 14 minutes probably put him in some severe fatigue.

I would have played him for 6-7 minute time periods each quarter for a total of about 25 minutes whihc would have given him time to rest. He was on pace to play almost 36 minutes which is insane.

I would say playing 36 minutes after only practicing once in a month is definitely a cause for concern. I'm not sure what Kerr was thinking, KD was playing well but he was acting like he was 100% healthy, you could tell especially defensively he wasn't close to 100%.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a calf injury can cause an achilles injury, but playing high and continuous minutes without rest when you have only practiced once in a month couldn't be a cause of an injury. I think it is just the opposite.

You don't think a soft tissue injury just inches above the achilles affects the achilles? If his minutes put him at risk, he shouldn't have been out there because that means his calf injury hadn't healed enough.

The main cause of achilles tears is an abrupt change of speed or direction that tests it's strength, not exhaustion.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, even if the Dubs blow this series they stopped LeClown 3 outta 4 times, so in my eyes they've already done the Lord's work...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really hard to say.

I do think, that regardless of the calf injury, anyone taking a month off from physical activity that has one half-assed practice and then tries to compete in the NBA, let alone the NBA Finals is going to have some major injury risk.

Its like a car trying to go from 0 to 150 with no oil in the engine.

Going from sitting around to competing at the highest level in the world in the most intense games in the Finals, with the level of intensity these games are played at, is just a ridiculous step up.

Its hard to say whether what was characterized as a minor calf injury 33 days ago was the major cause, a contributing cause, or no cause at all---- but, personally, i think going from 0 to 150 was the biggest cause

That's the thing, from everything that I've read and heard, you can rupture an Achilles stepping off a curb. It's just one of those things that happens.

Kobe's ruptured when he made a move that he's made thousands of times before.

It's a good point about going from 0 to 150 though. Doubt it was the cause, but I'm sure it didn't necessarily help either.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think a soft tissue injury just inches above the achilles affects the achilles? If his minutes put him at risk, he shouldn't have been out there because that means his calf injury hadn't healed enough.

The main cause of achilles tears is an abrupt change of speed or direction that tests it's strength, not exhaustion.

Everything affects it. Either way I think we can all agree he wasn't ready to step back on the court and the Warriors knew that, KD knew it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A. Kawhi is playing with a hurt knee for weeks now

B. A ton of Golden State players are also playing hurt including Iggy and Klay who is playing with half a hamstring, Looney, Cousins etc... NO ONE is healthy right now after 7 months of basketball

C. Durant was CLEARED to play

D. His teammates were starting to get pissed he was not playing BEFORE this game

E. I certainly thought hed be back long before this game as Kerr was giving game to game updates as far back as the semi-finals

F. I would be more prone to think that the inactivity period led more to a torn achilees than anything. Sitting on your ass for a month and then trying to play NBA basketball in the most intense environment in the NBA Finals is like trying to go from 0 to 150 in a Ford Taurus with no oil in the engine.

I tend to agree that KD playing in the game last night was not heroic.

That said...he could've easily taken the rest of the season off and focused on his FA career, but he chose to play. There is something positive to say about that.

There are times when one injured part of the body can put undue stress on another part of the body. I'm not saying that happened here. I've learned after the Derek Rose and Kawhi (San Antonio) injuries that you never really pay much attention to the HC on such matters. In the NBA, in most cases, when the player is ready to come back, they comeback and not until then.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing more and more that people in KD's inner circle wanted him to sit out and heal up BUT he wanted to play. In the end, there is nobody to play but himself.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at this time of the year a lot of guys are injured, Cousins, Klay, Looney, Kawhi...Kawhi midway through the 2nd half was fucking exhausted. It's why you didn't see much of him until he went on that run late in the game. Anyone of those players could have re-injured their current injury. He is in the championship series, can't blame him for wanting to be out there though. He will just have to deal with a much longer recovery now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams down 3-1 are 1-33 in winning the series (Cavs over Warriors). I think they made a horrible mistake against terrible odds.

The odds weren't that terrible.

If KD had been able to play in all 3, the Warriors odds would have been pretty solid. They sure weren't 1-34. Because the KD Warriors did not fall behind 3-1.

I would even go so far as to say the Warriors might be favored to win the series going in to game 6 if everyone made it through game 5 unscathed.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol !!! Can’t help think of the Amari Stoudemire and Durant dejavue case scenario for knicks....

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be forced to give up on Green a year later, and they are already suffering for the lack of consistent bench help. Both Iguodala and Livingston are on their last legs.

They wouldn't be forced to give up on Green. They have his bird rights, it's just how willing are they into paying such a deep luxury tax fee every year. Also, if they give up on Green, the money that's freed up from what you're not paying him wouldn't exactly be available. Max contracts for Durant, Curry and Klay essentially wipes out about 80-85% of your salary cap.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing more and more that people in KD's inner circle wanted him to sit out and heal up BUT he wanted to play. In the end, there is nobody to play but himself.

And in the end, he'll still get his money as numerous teams will offer him a max contract. He has his titles, has already made a ton of money. It's a major bump in the road for him, but in terms of his overall career he'll be fine. It's not like this happened to him at age 20, it happened on the latter half of his career at age 30.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wouldn't be forced to give up on Green. They have his bird rights, it's just how willing are they into paying such a deep luxury tax fee every year. Also, if they give up on Green, the money that's freed up from what you're not paying him wouldn't exactly be available. Max contracts for Durant, Curry and Klay essentially wipes out about 80-85% of your salary cap.

Super Maxes for Durant and Curry + Max for Thompson equals basically 100% of the Cap.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Maxes for Durant and Curry + Max for Thompson equals basically 100% of the Cap.

Curry and Durant will make about $40 mil per year, each. Klay will be around $30+. That comes out to about $110 mil, which the cap is going up to around $123 - $132 mil. Not 100%. Also, the Warriors would still be able to re-sign their own players or any draft picks, while also adding veteran minimum players.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry and Durant will make about $40 mil per year, each. Klay will be around $30+. That comes out to about $110 mil, which the cap is going up to around $123 - $132 mil. Not 100%. Also, the Warriors would still be able to re-sign their own players or any draft picks, while also adding veteran minimum players.
The cap is currently at around 110M and will remain the same for the 2019-20 season. The cap will increase a bit after the 2020 season.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is currently at around 110M and will remain the same for the 2019-20 season. The cap will increase a bit after the 2020 season.

Regardless, the Warriors would still be in the same position as they're in right now.