• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Durant ijury, the cosequences for the entire league's future..

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At that tax level, there really isn't a long term solution and I don't think they'd really be looking for one. It would be more about seeing how long they can keep the run going.

Players get old and start to decline, the Warriors have been on this run for what? 5 years now?

Even if they could easily pay the luxury tax, we're not that far away from it not being worth it because players will get old and start declining.

Heck, just off of the 5 year run, I think we may be starting to see some of that.

Are you aware of what the "extra penalty on lux tax is"?
At that tax level, there really isn't a long term solution and I don't think they'd really be looking for one. It would be more about seeing how long they can keep the run going.

Players get old and start to decline, the Warriors have been on this run for what? 5 years now?

Even if they could easily pay the luxury tax, we're not that far away from it not being worth it because players will get old and start declining.

Heck, just off of the 5 year run, I think we may be starting to see some of that.
IT's not the luxury tax that is the real problem... it's the extra penalty for being above the lux tax line for more than 4 years that is severe...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT's not the luxury tax that is the real problem... it's the extra penalty for being above the lux tax line for more than 4 years that is severe...

Which doesn't go away for the follwing seasons unless one goes BELOW the lux tax line...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you aware of what the "extra penalty on lux tax is"?

Yes, that's why I said I don't think it's sustainable for very long. But could see a team trying it on a season to season basis. Teams bring in a lot of revenue from a lot of different sources.

Yes, but it's still part of the luxury tax. It just gets a lot steeper because repeater taxes, etc. start getting tacked on.

What also has to be taken into consideration is all of the additional sources of revenue that teams have.

The NBA keeps making it more difficult for teams to put together "superteams" and teams keep finding ways to put them together anyway. One of those ways is finding new revenue streams.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that's why I said I don't think it's sustainable for very long. But could see a team trying it on a season to season basis. Teams bring in a lot of revenue from a lot of different sources.

Yes, but it's still part of the luxury tax. It just gets a lot steeper because repeater taxes, etc. start getting tacked on.

What also has to be taken into consideration is all of the additional sources of revenue that teams have.

The NBA keeps making it more difficult for teams to put together "superteams" and teams keep finding ways to put them together anyway. One of those ways is finding new revenue streams.
What happens if some business IS LOOSING MONEY?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I don't either. I haven't looked real deep into the cap, etc. But I think a lot could depend on KD's deal (assuming he stays).

Why couldn't they sign KD to a 1 and 1, then extend Draymond, pay whatever the tax would be for 1 season to keep a title team together and then let KD walk after that?
well first....my statement was they could not sign all 4 to a "max"...a 1 and 1 is not a max.

Lets do a quick and dirty analysis. First, the Warriors are deep into repeater territory. Second, as I stated, its when Draymond is up for his max, that would be the 2020/2021 season. Third, the salary cap next season is 109 million with the luxury tax line at 132. Lets just do the math for NEXT season, without draymond's max, and consider Klay signing his max and Durant signing his super max....

-A supermax is 35% of the cap with 8% raises. So for instance, Durant next year start at just over 38M. the next year he would be at 41.2. The next year at 44.5. The next year at 48.1M. the next year 52M. thats his 5 year 223M dollar deal.

-Klay is eligible for a "max" of 30%. 5 years 190. It starts at 30% of the cap with 8% raises. 32.7 in year one, 35.3 in year 2, 38.1 in year 3, 41.2, 44.5 in year 5.

-curry is at 40.2M next year

-draymond is at 18.5 next year

-iggy is at 17.1 next year

-damian jones is at 2.3 next year

-jacob evans is at 1.9 next year

-do they have their draft pick? they COULD trade if if they have it to save some money, but a backend first roundr is garanateed like 3M so lets just say that.

-Livinston is on the books for 7.6, but only 2 million of that is guaranteed. Lets say they cut his ass.

So......that is a total of 8 players----- Durant, Klay, Curry, Draymond, Iggy, Damian Jones, Evans and Rookie on guaranteed deals. Plus Livingston's 2M guarantee. Does Damian Jones start at center? a scary propositon but lets say he does. He starts with the Big 4.

That brings us to a grand total OF, for 8 players: $152.60. .....we are gonna say- they cut Livingston, let Cousins walk, let Looney walk........

Should we say they use their mid level exception? or should we say they just sign all veteran minimum guys? Having a Damian Jones start at center and a bench of Iguadala and Jacob Evans gets pretty dirty. Lets say they use that mini mid level exception of roughly 5M and bring some big man that doesnt suck total balls like Robin Lopeez to be the center, sending Damian Jones to the bench? Sound good?

So that brings us up to 9 players, and 157.60...we gotta fill out the roster---lets say the rest are vet. min scmumbags. vet min is like what? about 2M? so thats 6 guys at 2M a pop......so thats an additional 12M.

Now we are up to about 170M dollars. thats a nice chunk of change on just players...but, now we gotta figure the tax.....

luckily, for you assclowns im a tax attorney....the lux tax line was what? 132M i quoted above right? So they are about 40M over that.

Now to the REPEATER tax brackets

First 5M = 250% = 12.5M
2nd 5M = 275 % = 13.75M
3rd 5M = 350% = 17.5M
4th 5M = 425% = 21.25
5th 5M = 475% = 23.75
6th 5M = 525 = 26.25
7th 5M = 575% = 28.75
8th 3M = 625% = 18.75

So...38million over the tax line for a repeater team? Your tax bill is -- DRUMM ROLL PLEEEEEEEEEASE 162.5M dollars!!!!!!

so......that effeviely pretty much DOUBLES their salary output for the season.

so...BEFORE draymond gets his max.....JUST NEXT YEAR if Durant is back, Klay is back, they let Cousins walk, they let Looney walk, they cut Livingstons ass, the bring in one guy on the mini mid level, their salary expenditures will be about 330M dollars!!!!!!!!

they will have paid more luxury tax in one year then half the teams in the league have paid during the entire history of the league!!! COMBINED

think its tenable to spend 330M dollars on JUST payroll?

and the numbers and raises etc. ONLY GET BIGGER the following year and the next year, the next year etc.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if some business IS LOOSING MONEY?

That's where it gets tough to make those decisions.

There have been teams who accepted losing money for a couple of seasons to get a title or 2 and then had a fire sale afterward.

But that would be a tough call to make.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You also have to factor wear and tear on the players from playing so many games. Most everyone isn't on LeBron's level of conditioning

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where it gets tough to make those decisions.

There have been teams who accepted losing money for a couple of seasons to get a title or 2 and then had a fire sale afterward.

But that would be a tough call to make.
It then all depends on what you can HOPE FOR for the future with what you have left and no capital to spend... correct?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could look at it this way too---- at the top marginal rate they would be paying for a team 38M over the lux. tax line....if they wantd to sign a player for 3 million dollars, it woud cost them a total of 22M dollars. LOL

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well first....my statement was they could not sign all 4 to a "max"...a 1 and 1 is not a max.

Lets do a quick and dirty analysis. First, the Warriors are deep into repeater territory. Second, as I stated, its when Draymond is up for his max, that would be the 2020/2021 season. Third, the salary cap next season is 109 million with the luxury tax line at 132. Lets just do the math for NEXT season, without draymond's max, and consider Klay signing his max and Durant signing his super max....

-A supermax is 35% of the cap with 8% raises. So for instance, Durant next year start at just over 38M. the next year he would be at 41.2. The next year at 44.5. The next year at 48.1M. the next year 52M. thats his 5 year 223M dollar deal.

-Klay is eligible for a "max" of 30%. 5 years 190. It starts at 30% of the cap with 8% raises. 32.7 in year one, 35.3 in year 2, 38.1 in year 3, 41.2, 44.5 in year 5.

-curry is at 40.2M next year

-draymond is at 18.5 next year

-iggy is at 17.1 next year

-damian jones is at 2.3 next year

-jacob evans is at 1.9 next year

-do they have their draft pick? they COULD trade if if they have it to save some money, but a backend first roundr is garanateed like 3M so lets just say that.

-Livinston is on the books for 7.6, but only 2 million of that is guaranteed. Lets say they cut his ass.

So......that is a total of 8 players----- Durant, Klay, Curry, Draymond, Iggy, Damian Jones, Evans and Rookie on guaranteed deals. Plus Livingston's 2M guarantee. Does Damian Jones start at center? a scary propositon but lets say he does. He starts with the Big 4.

That brings us to a grand total OF, for 8 players: $152.60. .....we are gonna say- they cut Livingston, let Cousins walk, let Looney walk........

Should we say they use their mid level exception? or should we say they just sign all veteran minimum guys? Having a Damian Jones start at center and a bench of Iguadala and Jacob Evans gets pretty dirty. Lets say they use that mini mid level exception of roughly 5M and bring some big man that doesnt suck total balls like Robin Lopeez to be the center, sending Damian Jones to the bench? Sound good?

So that brings us up to 9 players, and 157.60...we gotta fill out the roster---lets say the rest are vet. min scmumbags. vet min is like what? about 2M? so thats 6 guys at 2M a pop......so thats an additional 12M.

Now we are up to about 170M dollars. thats a nice chunk of change on just players...but, now we gotta figure the tax.....

luckily, for you assclowns im a tax attorney....the lux tax line was what? 132M i quoted above right? So they are about 40M over that.

Now to the REPEATER tax brackets

First 5M = 250% = 12.5M
2nd 5M = 275 % = 13.75M
3rd 5M = 350% = 17.5M
4th 5M = 425% = 21.25
5th 5M = 475% = 23.75
6th 5M = 525 = 26.25
7th 5M = 575% = 28.75
8th 3M = 625% = 18.75

So...38million over the tax line for a repeater team? Your tax bill is -- DRUMM ROLL PLEEEEEEEEEASE 162.5M dollars!!!!!!

so......that effeviely pretty much DOUBLES their salary output for the season.

so...BEFORE draymond gets his max.....JUST NEXT YEAR if Durant is back, Klay is back, they let Cousins walk, they let Looney walk, they cut Livingstons ass, the bring in one guy on the mini mid level, their salary expenditures will be about 330M dollars!!!!!!!!

they will have paid more luxury tax in one year then half the teams in the league have paid during the entire history of the league!!! COMBINED

think its tenable to spend 330M dollars on JUST payroll?

and the numbers and raises etc. ONLY GET BIGGER the following year and the next year, the next year etc.

Your first sentence actually cleared up some of my question.

If they were to keep, for example, KD on 1 and 1's wouldn't that put them in a situation where they could determine whether or not they want to pay that tax on a season by season basis?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could look at it this way too---- at the top marginal rate they would be paying for a team 38M over the lux. tax line....if they wantd to sign a player for 3 million dollars, it woud cost them a total of 21.75M dollars. LOL

Yea I have no idea how they put.together a roster for 20/21 if they kept all four

I don't think it's possible

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes sense if they bring back Livingston at his 7.6M i suppose....pretty close to my number but i figured they cut livingston

I was just glad I found the link, as I didn't want to do all the math lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funny thing is, the following year, Iggy and his 16M come off the books, but that is MORE than eaten up by Draymond's raise to a max and all the raises that would be built into Durant, Curry and Klay's contracts....the number gets even WORST the next year. Dray's raise alone eats up almost all of the Iggy savings

The 3 year outlay, I would guess, if they went SUPER CHEAPO on the rest of the roster, would prob be between 1.1 billion to 1.2billion.

considering, an average NBA team, over that time frame, would pay probably about 350-400M, we can see how its just totally unrealistic.

Not because the Warriors are cheap- they arent- not because they dont make gobs and gobs of money- they do--- its ismply the CBA doing what the CBA was designed to do.

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant's injury goes far more than first sight to affect the league's future...

In this order of importance:

1. One of the league's top~5 and most exiting to watch players, faces a career ending threat coming with his injury, while he still has many years left in his career..

2. Injury comes at the title finals, which coud affect the outcome and collapse the team's up to now domination.

3.KD ewas assumed to hit free agency this season and join another team with hopes to contend because of his integration to the roster.

4.The financial consequences for GSW could be huge since KD is now expected to accept his player option for next season, but not play and still hit free agency after.

5. The teams that have put all their future hopes and policies on signing KD, are now "without a future"...

Anything else you may think and add that could be helpful is welcomed... please keep trolls out of this...

1. Definitely not career threatening
2. He was already injured, which was already affecting the outcome
3. Correct
4. Also correct- Klay Thompson may be gone now
5. No team put "all their hopes on signing KD"