• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Durant ijury, the cosequences for the entire league's future..

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are doing it because they cannot win a title. McFly?
Same reason why GS will be doing it, with the additional risk of loosing a multiple sum... Heeeellooooo... McFllyyyyy!!!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same reason why GS will be doing it, with the additional risk of loosing a multiple sum... Heeeellooooo... McFllyyyyy!!!
GS would spend for a title, just like the Cavs did/would

But the Cavs could not win once Lebron left.

If only they found a way to get Snell, maybe Lebron stays put?

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GS would spend for a title, just like the Cavs did/would

But the Cavs could not win once Lebron left.

If only they found a way to get Snell, maybe Lebron stays put?
Lol... not talking to you McFly... you need a brain surgery if you are to understand what a subject is... Are you voting for Trump?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then you are saying that Bob Myers is either:

Stupid, ignorant, stubborn, or blatantly lying

All I have ever said is that it is possible. Because Myers has said it is possible. At least in the short term.

You also said it was impossible for JaVale McGee to average more than 8PPG and impossible for LeBron to sign in LA without another star.

So no matter how many insults you care to use, the reality is that you don't have access to the Warriors financial data. You don't know what the details of their actual cash flow look like and you also don't know the extent to which Lacob is willing to take losses to keep this thing going as long as possible.

Your position is entirely based of assumptions of what the Warriors can afford and are willing to pay. The reality is that you don't know the answer because you only have 1 side of the equation.

We do know that revenue esimates place the Warriors at over $400 million last season. That number has trended up sharply over the last few years and will spike again next year with the new arena.

Also, comparing current luxury tax bills to any prior period, even 3-4 years ago is stupid beyond measure.

Because league revenue and team valuations continue to smash prior records every single year. Every NBA team is currently valued at over $1 billion dollars, when teams were being sold for half that 5-6 years ago and teams like the Nets, Hornets and 6ers sold for less than $300 million less than a decade ago.

Past financial numbers for NBA teams are completely irrelevant to what teams are willing to spend today. Gilbert's $54 million tax bill from just a couple years ago is probably equivalent to $90-100 million in taxes today. And, the Warriors have a better market than the Cavs did and have a new arena the Cavs didn't.

You will probably get lucky because KD probably leaves. But your assumptions are based on facts that you don't have and Bob Myers clearly does. So you very well could be wrong.

And I really hope you are so I can rub it in your face again.

The best part? I can't be wrong here unless the Warriors completely blow up their team.

Yeah, saying it's impossible seems a bit silly. Improbable or maybe even highly improbable, but I wouldn't say impossible. Only the Warriors know what they are willing to pay.

I'm not sure which team holds the record for spending the most in salary and tax, but I'd bet that there was a time when it seemed like no one would spend that much.

And then someone did.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the Cavs would have stayed in repeaters tax eligibility (which is why I made the comparison). As I've many times told you, you don't even know half as much as I do on the CBA...

Remember when you claimed that a team which has failed to make the playoffs can make a trade outside the 125% rule even if it has 5 or 6 players under contract in its roster? Well... it can't unless it has 13 players in its roster and it ends up with at least 13 players in its roster too..

You have no idea what you are talking about stop acting like you do. Gilbert went over the tax for 4 years...if you think if Lebron stays they are spending. You are just a fucking idiot if you think that...well you have proved to be one so I will go with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... not talking to you McFly... you need a brain surgery if you are to understand what a subject is... Are you voting for Trump?
talking to me to tell me you aren't talking to me?

sorry, but ya gotta love this forum.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big difference in spending 60M in luxury tax and 160M in luxury tax
Yes...it's $100 mil.

But thinking income of team goes up a tad in their new home? Never mind depending where you look it seems Lacob's net worth is 2-3 bil. Are you thinking he's clipping coupons if he spends a lot more?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes...it's $100 mil.

But thinking income of team goes up a tad in their new home? Never mind depending where you look it seems Lacob's net worth is 2-3 bil. Are you thinking he's clipping coupons if he spends a lot more?
I think a 100 million is what some teams pay on salary for their entire team, compared to it being less than 2/3rds of what you pay on tax ALONE.

Plus, A. Lacob does not own the entire team, i dont know what his interest is, it could be anywhere from 51% to 90%. B. Revenue sharing will take a significant chunk out of it. C. $330 million on player costs alone is insane. it does not even take into account operations costs, debt service costs, etc. D. taxes also are a huge consideration- ESPECIALLY in California.

there is a reason why people gawked at Dan gilbert spending about 60M. That was unheard of. 160M is simply not a tenable number for any length of time. Doing that for 1 year would be an enormous hit. Doing it for multiple years is realistically impossible.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean again , you are either stupid or ignorant or in denial or all 3.

I would hope by now you know the circumstances of Golden State's super team --- and it was CERTAINLY not spending a ton of money to put one together

it was:

1. Curry being locked into a hugely below market contract due to signing it after his weak ankles were plaguing him and before he made his leap.

2. the huge jump in the salary cap due to the new TV contract coming into play and no smoothing mechanism for the cap.

What a bullshit false equivalency "it was designed to prevent super teams". I mean is this really an accurate measure of your intellect such a weak argument? i would love to know where you attended college (IF you did at all).

So now you are making assumptions about my education level because of you disagree with my statement regarding Warrior spending being possible?

Bob Myers basically said it was possible. And I am pretty sure he has more knowledge of the Warriors' financials than you do. You also completely misunderstood the whole point of bringing up the KD signing (shocker).

For the record, you question my education and my ability to do simple math.

Well, here are some facts about me. Because you asked.

I completed my undergraduate degree from UVA with a double major in Economics and Commerce (Finance concentration). The Commerce School at UVA, by the way, is highly exclusive and was ranked top 5 against other business schools in the nation at the time I graduated.

Later, after a couple years working in finance I went back to UVA to secure my masters in Education.

And if you want to compare math SAT and GRE scores I am quite certain mine are better than yours.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now you are making assumptions about my education level because of you disagree with my statement regarding Warrior spending being possible?

Bob Myers basically said it was possible. And I am pretty sure he has more knowledge of the Warriors' financials than you do. You also completely misunderstood the whole point of bringing up the KD signing (shocker).

F.
no i got your point. IT was just stupid and had no relevance. Trying to say the CBA was "meant to prevent super teams" and using GSW as an example to say it failed was ridiculous, and i would hope you would know that- and if you dont- you are an idiot.

I mean, I would, by now, it would be common knowledge to anyone who pays attention to this kind of stuff that GSW was able to get their super team because of A. Curry's below market contract that was locked in before his leap and while he was coming off his "weak ankle" period, and B. the jump in the cap that was not smoothed out.

Their super team was CERTAINLY not caused by a failure of the CBA to keep teams from astronomical spending. That will operate as it was meant to operate. The Big 4 era will soon come to a close, whether it ends in weeks or 1 year plus a couple weeks is the question- it will INEVITABLY end because the CBA was designed so teams cant carry 4 max players.

It will operate just as it was designed. Why you cant seem to grasp this is beyond me. Anyone with a shred of common sense comes to the same conclusion. At this point it has to be A. stupidity B. ignorance C. stubbornness or a combination of all 3.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no i got your point. IT was just stupid and had no relevance. Trying to say the CBA was "meant to prevent super teams" and using GSW as an example to say it failed was ridiculous, and i would hope you would know that- and if you dont- you are an idiot.

I mean, I would, by now, it would be common knowledge to anyone who pays attention to this kind of stuff that GSW was able to get their super team because of A. Curry's below market contract that was locked in before his leap and while he was coming off his "weak ankle" period, and B. the jump in the cap that was not smoothed out.

Their super team was CERTAINLY not caused by a failure of the CBA to keep teams from astronomical spending. That will operate as it was meant to operate. The Big 4 era will soon come to a close, whether it ends in weeks or 1 year plus a couple weeks is the question- it will INEVITABLY end because the CBA was designed so teams cant carry 4 max players.

It will operate just as it was designed. Why you cant seem to grasp this is beyond me. Anyone with a shred of common sense comes to the same conclusion. At this point it has to be A. stupidity B. ignorance C. stubbornness or a combination of all 3.

Nope.

CBA was designed to prevent superteams. It failed because the Warriors had a once in a generation set of circumstances.

The CBA is also designed, not to make it impossible for a team to max 4 max contracts (because it is most definitely possible), it was designed to make 4 max contracts prohibitively expensive. Again, not impossible.

Maybe, just maybe the Warrior financials are strong enough that they are willing to give it a go. At least for a couple years.

Point is, it is not impossible like you say, and you are only factoring 1 side of the equation which is ignorant at best.

By the way, nice job cutting out my educational background from that post. Someday maybe you will learn not to make assumptions about things you have no knowledge of. No time soon I guess.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

CBA was designed to prevent superteams. It failed because the Warriors had a once in a generation set of circumstances.

The CBA is also designed, not to make it impossible for a team to max 4 max contracts (because it is most definitely possible), it was designed to make 4 max contracts prohibitively expensive. Again, not impossible.

Maybe, just maybe the Warrior financials are strong enough that they are willing to give it a go. At least for a couple years.

Point is, it is not impossible like you say, and you are only factoring 1 side of the equation which is ignorant at best.

By the way, nice job cutting out my educational background from that post. Someday maybe you will learn not to make assumptions about things you have no knowledge of. No time soon I guess.
how was it designed to prevent superteams?

it was designed to prevent super teams by curbing astronomical spending. Golden State's super team was not put together through astronomical spending.

it will be prevented from staying together because the CBA was designed to make sure teams could not keep 4 max players together.

God, you are seriously a moron.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it was designed to prevent super teams by curbing astronomical spending. Golden State's super team was not put together through astronomical spending.

it will be prevented from staying together because the CBA was designed to make sure teams could not keep 4 max players together.

Gotta love the name calling.

Especially considering that almost every time we have had a provable back and forth like this, I have won.

So if I am a moron, what does that make you?

How many levels can you go below moron status?

The CBA was designed to prevent superteams in a variety of ways. Most notably supermax contracts that make it harder to fit multiple max stars under the cap and also providing advantages to teams with Bird Rights.

But go ahead and keep digging your self deeper in your semantical BS argument.

Because you do realize that I can be proven right on this if the Warriors do it, but can't be proven wrong.

All I have said all along is that it is "possible".

Seems to me the moronic position is yours. You can absolutely be wrong and rest assured I will burn your ass to the ground if the maybe 10% chance comes through.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love the name calling.

Especially considering that almost every time we have had a provable back and forth like this, I have won.

So if I am a moron, what does that make you?

How many levels can you go below moron status?

The CBA was designed to prevent superteams in a variety of ways. Most notably supermax contracts that make it harder to fit multiple max stars under the cap and also providing advantages to teams with Bird Rights.

But go ahead and keep digging your self deeper in your semantical BS argument.

Because you do realize that I can be proven right on this if the Warriors do it, but can't be proven wrong.

All I have said all along is that it is "possible".

Seems to me the moronic position is yours. You can absolutely be wrong and rest assured I will burn your ass to the ground if the maybe 10% chance comes through.
again, when someone has to say they have won- it means they havent won.

again, this is common sense that the vast majority of people seem to grasp- but you cant either because of 1. stupidity 2. ignorance; 3. stubborness or a combination of all 3

the most a team has ever paid in luxury tax is around 60M - and that was an amount that was balked at as being ridiculous. You believe that the Warriors will pay almost triple that for multiple years in a row based on nothing that has ever happened before. That is the definition of stupidity.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a 100 million is what some teams pay on salary for their entire team, compared to it being less than 2/3rds of what you pay on tax ALONE.

Plus, A. Lacob does not own the entire team, i dont know what his interest is, it could be anywhere from 51% to 90%. B. Revenue sharing will take a significant chunk out of it. C. $330 million on player costs alone is insane. it does not even take into account operations costs, debt service costs, etc. D. taxes also are a huge consideration- ESPECIALLY in California.

there is a reason why people gawked at Dan gilbert spending about 60M. That was unheard of. 160M is simply not a tenable number for any length of time. Doing that for 1 year would be an enormous hit. Doing it for multiple years is realistically impossible.
No disagreement, but we don't know what Lacob thinks, what he expects to make next year in revenue, etc.

Half a decade ago would you have thought over a 3 year period Gilbert (or any owner) would spend as much in tax as the entire league COMBINED?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right...but the idea is it would be tough for a team to even have 4 max level players, let alone pay them. If Lacob feels like he wants to keep the team together for one more run who's to say he can't/wont?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again, this is common sense that the vast majority of people seem to grasp- but you cant either because of 1. stupidity 2. ignorance; 3. stubborness or a combination of all 3

the most a team has ever paid in luxury tax is around 60M - and that was an amount that was balked at as being ridiculous. You believe that the Warriors will pay almost triple that for multiple years in a row based on nothing that has ever happened before. That is the definition of stupidity.
you're kind of making his point. The number was balked at as ridiculous. Yet someone did it. Now you balk at this as ridiculous. 4 years later with a cap explosion (which means more league revenue) 60 mil then is not the same as 60 mil now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really?

So you won our debates last summer about JaVAle McGee's production and LeBron's free agency?

You won the 2016 Finals. I have won everything else that has been provable.