• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dune: Part 1 (2021)

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stand-alone, it's a great flick. I did not read the books, I have never watched the original movie in full.
Dune 2021 had spectacular effects, sci-fi technology, music, writing and acting. If you don't like it, you simply don't like well-done movies and that makes you a snob.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it as well and really enjoyed it. With that said it won't be for everyone. A lot of moving parts moving very quickly, a lot to take in and if you're not a sci fi fan you'll likely not appreciate the world building of it. It's both a slow burn and moving 100 mph. I have a 75' tv and surround sound so it was great but you cannot watch this movie without a great setup.

Effectively this post was entirely to brag about your TV

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stand-alone, it's a great flick. I did not read the books, I have never watched the original movie in full.
Dune 2021 had spectacular effects, sci-fi technology, music, writing and acting. If you don't like it, you simply don't like well-done movies and that makes you a snob.
This review one was the kind I was looking for…right up until the last line. I’ve never read the books, never seen the 80s movie either. So if I watch and don’t like it for some reason, I’m a snob?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was really solid. Didn't blow my tits off or anything but a very good movie. Better than the Lynch or Syfy versions.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was really solid. Didn't blow my tits off or anything but a very good movie. Better than the Lynch or Syfy versions.

Thought it was great, but its legacy will be determined on how Part II goes.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was pretty fucking sweet. Do NOT watch this on HBO Max. Go to the theater. It is well worth it. This film is gorgeous. I'm not super into the Dune books, just a casual fan, but I loved this. I think my only complaint is I wish it were longer. Its two hours and 30 minutes and I know there's more movies coming, but I wouldn't have minded at all had this been 3+ hrs like the LOTR movies.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some of the books maybe 25 years ago (I got, I think, into the 4th book??). I saw (and enjoyed) the McLaughlin version long before reading the books. Never saw the SyFy version.

I see that SyFy got up to at least Children of Dune, so they deal with Leto’s transformation?

All that to say I remember the general gist of the story, but not the specifics. As the movie went on, however, I was reminded of many of the aspects.

The movie seemed somewhat accurate. And while a bit long, and I did get distracted for a bit in the middle, for the most part, it held my attention and was enjoyable.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cautiously optimistic, but after 2049 had such a lukewarm reception, I dunno what to think about sci-fi audiences.

Book is maybe the most influential sci-fi book of all time, certainly top five.

Problem is that the amount of info to be dropped on an audience in one movie is almost impossible. One of the deepest detailed universes ever created. Should probably be split up into 2 movies.
Trilogy.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can, watch this in theaters.

Perhaps I would have liked it a little more if I had seen it in theaters.

I did like it but not as much as I thought it would...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WB didn't greenlight sequels at first, wanting to see how the first one did, and now its official (even if predictable)

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cast the right actor for the lead ...a solid actor but not well known.
But then they go and mail it in with Issac, Momoa, Bardem, Bautista and especially Brolin.

Sometime I think they go with those big names just to get initial big numbers at the box office and that takes
the concern away from actually trying to make a good movie. And they fact they are making this 2 parts … Kinda confirms that.

They are good actors but they never really get you to sink into to their characters because they are way over exposed.

And the fact that they left out any scenes with the Spacing Guild Navigators just tells me they just don't get it.
It's not a waste of your time to watch this but not by much. I'm just glad I had HBO Plus and did not have to pay extra to watch it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then they go and mail it in with Issac, Momoa, Bardem, Bautista and especially Brolin.

They are good actors but they never really get you to sink into to their characters because they are way over exposed.

And the fact that they left out any scenes with the Spacing Guild Navigators just tells me they just don't get it.
It's not a waste of your time to watch this but not by much. I'm just glad I had HBO Plus and did not have to pay extra to watch it.

you don't think Timothée Chalamet is well known?

the dude has been everywhere outside of the Marvel world these days

and I think the casting is perfect. Known names all over the place

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't think Timothée Chalamet is well known?

the dude has been everywhere outside of the Marvel world these days

and I think the casting is perfect. Known names all over the place
His stock has been on the rise but he is for sure not on the level of the guys I mentioned.

There is known and there is over saturation.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WB didn't greenlight sequels at first, wanting to see how the first one did, and now its official (even if predictable)

It's great that the sequel was greenlit, but b/c the studio waited to see how Part 1 did, the soonest they'll be able to put out Part 2 is late 2023 (assuming no set backs...). Had they committed to the sequel in advance, they could've shot parts of both movies at once (ala Lord of the Rings), saving the studio serious money and ensuring that they could get the sequel out in a year or so.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great that the sequel was greenlit, but b/c the studio waited to see how Part 1 did, the soonest they'll be able to put out Part 2 is late 2023 (assuming no set backs...). Had they committed to the sequel in advance, they could've shot parts of both movies at once (ala Lord of the Rings), saving the studio serious money and ensuring that they could get the sequel out in a year or so.

Yep.

There's stories out today with Villenueve saying filming will start Fall 2022. So its likely gonna get a 2024 release date barring no setbacks

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it the other night and damn is it good. Best movie I've seen in a while. Looking forward to the next one.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow do I disagree. Especially about Bardem and Brolin who were both excellent in their roles. Brolin's intensity was pitch perfect for the Halleck role and was in stark contrast to the way Patrick Stewart played the role which was fine but fairly non-descript. Bardem also was great in his limited role as Stilgar. Momoa was his usual charming self. I guess you could say that Bautista was his usual over the top self but that role kinda requires it.