• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DRE'MONT JONES!!!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really surprised me

In talking to source close to Dre’Mont Jones, he plans to test market. And Denver Broncos have no plans to franchise tag him. Daron Payne was tagged by Washington. So no reason for Jones to take deal w/o testing market as top DE now available. Denver7

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really surprised me

In talking to source close to Dre’Mont Jones, he plans to test market. And Denver Broncos have no plans to franchise tag him. Daron Payne was tagged by Washington. So no reason for Jones to take deal w/o testing market as top DE now available. Denver7
Maybe the Broncos think they can sign Zach Allen from the Cardinals for less. Allen has arguably better stats.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised he will test the market. Any player should if they get the opportunity and I don't blame broncos for not tagging him as it is just to high of a cap hold and potential hit.

He gone?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised he will test the market. Any player should if they get the opportunity and I don't blame broncos for not tagging him as it is just to high of a cap hold and potential hit.

He gone?

I mean if he isn't going to get from Denver what he is asking for then clearly not surprised he is going to test the market. More surprised Denver doesn't tag him as they have no other player to tag. Gives them more flexibility then to lose him for nothing. If we don't want to pay him 19 m and someone else does we could get compensation in return.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per source, Broncos are not likely to place franchise tag - $18.9M, DT)/$19.7M, DE - on Dre'Mont Jones.
However, GM George Paton said of contract talks: “Very positive. I’ve spoken with his agent, Kyle McCarthy. I’ve had a number of conversations with Dre’Mont. (1/2) #9sports

McCarthy is a former Bronco.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per source, Broncos are not likely to place franchise tag - $18.9M, DT)/$19.7M, DE - on Dre'Mont Jones.
However, GM George Paton said of contract talks: “Very positive. I’ve spoken with his agent, Kyle McCarthy. I’ve had a number of conversations with Dre’Mont. (1/2) #9sports

McCarthy is a former Bronco.
The Broncos don't believe the market for Jones would reach the Tag amount - therefore D. Jones will find is market value in Free Agency and hopefully Jones gives the Broncos a last look. Like I said earlier Jones and Zach Allen probably have the same or similar value - whoever signs first sets the value for the other. The fact that both are available now also kind of lowers the value of each.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos don't believe the market for Jones would reach the Tag amount - therefore D. Jones will find is market value in Free Agency and hopefully Jones gives the Broncos a last look. Like I said earlier Jones and Zach Allen probably have the same or similar value - whoever signs first sets the value for the other. The fact that both are available now also kind of lowers the value of each.

Right. I understand why they are doing it.

Just not a fan of not tagging him. Maybe I value him a bit more then most though.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I understand why they are doing it.

Just not a fan of not tagging him. Maybe I value him a bit more then most though.
I guess you make these decisions based the feel you have for the relationship. I just think if you're Jones you take a tag that pays $19 million plus and then agree to a play for $16 million a season. Interesting that Zach Allen and the Cardinals are in the same spot - and the Bronco now have Allen's old coach as the DC.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Allen isn't Dre'Mont Jones, IMO. Sure he has come on a bit but in as many seasons he has half the amount of sacks Jones has. He has been far more inconsistent then Jones throughout his career and IMO Jones was turning into Pro Bowl caliber last year. Sure, the money is an issue and maybe signing Allen for cheaper and letting Jones walk for 19 m is a better move in the long run for your team but it is a hit for this defense. I don't want to see this defense take any hits as it is our bread and butter. We don't have another Dre'Mont Jones on the current roster and he will hard to replace, IMO. I don't think anyone is going to deny that as it comes down to money and I see what you are saying. I just don't think Zach Allen is Dre'Mont Jones. I don't dislike him though. I actually drafted him 4 years ago in our DCFFL mock.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Allen isn't Dre'Mont Jones, IMO. Sure he has come on a bit but in as many seasons he has half the amount of sacks Jones has. He has been far more inconsistent then Jones throughout his career and IMO Jones was turning into Pro Bowl caliber last year. Sure, the money is an issue and maybe signing Allen for cheaper and letting Jones walk for 19 m is a better move in the long run for your team but it is a hit for this defense. I don't want to see this defense take any hits as it is our bread and butter. We don't have another Dre'Mont Jones on the current roster and he will hard to replace, IMO. I don't think anyone is going to deny that as it comes down to money and I see what you are saying. I just don't think Zach Allen is Dre'Mont Jones. I don't dislike him though. I actually drafted him 4 years ago in our DCFFL mock.
Zach Allen has improved every year - last year he was 1 sack short of Jones' total in 4 fewer games with significantly more QB hurries and QB hits. Even the Athletic ranks Jones and Allen evenly of their FA evaluations.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones will command 60-70 m a year.
70M would be a 17.5M APY, making him the eighth highest paid DT on a APY basis. Seems reasonable to me.

Jones over Allen for me without a doubt.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70M would be a 17.5M APY, making him the eighth highest paid DT on a APY basis. Seems reasonable to me.

You're not biased - he said satirically.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would guess he is looking for 19M APY though, which I think is an overpay for that position.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would put him 7th in DT money. I don't think he is the 7th best interior Dlineman in the league but probably what it takes for a player of his caliber in free agency.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would put him 7th in DT money. I don't think he is the 7th best interior Dlineman in the league but probably what it takes for a player of his caliber in free agency.
I would say he is top 10, 3/4 DE and the cap goes up each year, so can’t pay much attention to the pecking order.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want Dremont for more than $15M per Let that money go to Oline/RB/WR

some team may go $17M per

a 3rd round 3-4 end can be found just like he was.

Sutton is the real issue at $18M per but there is a lot of overpaid WRs right now.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If good 3-4 DE's grew on trees and it was easy as that just waving a magic wand and finding one in the 3rd round then cool.. I would be down for it. However, that isn't the way it works.

We have a WR trend going on right now of over paying WR's. After about 5 years of that it will go back to the ole "find your WR in round 2/3" and don't over pay... Truth is we live in a pass happy NFL right now. Trends change quickly though. Passing won't but the trend of paying WR's will.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or development of later rd wr's will trend more. Like Patrick, Sutton (2nd rd isn't late, but still), etc.