• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft possibilities

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Griffin, but I can tell you right now, if Manziel had been cut by Cleveland and signed by Dallas before the season, he would have done better than the 1-11 we have. While I may not want him, I do think he has more talent than just about any backup in the league and a couple of starters

JF seemingly will never get his head straight

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JF seemingly will never get his head straight
You're probably right. You never know though. Stranger things have happened than a 24 year old growing up. I'm not a fan of his coming here, but I would be very surprised if he's not, so hope for the best

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:DMy 2 cents goes kinda like this. Dallas has so many holes to fill that it really does not matter who they pick at which position will help the team except the OL and CB in the first. The OL is pretty well set and the DB's this year while talented are only 5' 10" tall and that is just not tall enough regardless of talent IMHO. example imagine them guarding DEZ all day case closed IMO. We need CB just not in the first.

But I say its time for a QB Period. This might be the best chance without giving up the world to move up to get a Bluechip QB we have in a good while.

I have said I want Wentz and I think Jerry will have to pull the trigger at 4 to get him. Rumors are being floated that Cleveland likes Wentz at 2 great then take Goff at 4 if he is there and move along. I'm out on Lynch unless you could get him in the 2nd or third and I know opinions on this will vary greatly and that's fine.

The Cowboys are in a position to address a position that means the most to any NFL teams success "QB" with a pick high enough in the draft to gamble on the choice. And yes the draft is a gamble its a educated gamble but still a gamble.

SB's are won with #1 draft picks at QB 25 is the total, add in the non first round multiple winner exceptions of Brady 6th round (4 rings) , Staubach navy commitment ( 2 rings) , Starr ( 2 rings) before the NFL changed they combined to win 8 and that moves the total to 33 that's 66% with the remaining 44% spread over 17 SB's.

Simple math over history then says you have a 2.5% chance to win a SB with a QB not drafted in the first round not named Brady, Staubach, Starr. I not really a gambling man but a #1 draft pick vs 2.5 % is not a bet its inside trading on wall street by comparison.

Time to take a QB based on the numbers.

Tim Cowlishaw in the DMN has a article I used for reference.

JMHO with a little nudging from Tim :D

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im out on both RG3 and JFF but both of them could have been better than our backups this year

Hopefully Jerry has the clown car in long term storage but with Jerruh you never know.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:DMy 2 cents goes kinda like this. Dallas has so many holes to fill that it really does not matter who they pick at which position will help the team except the OL and CB in the first. The OL is pretty well set and the DB's this year while talented are only 5' 10" tall and that is just not tall enough regardless of talent IMHO. example imagine them guarding DEZ all day case closed IMO. We need CB just not in the first.

But I say its time for a QB Period. This might be the best chance without giving up the world to move up to get a Bluechip QB we have in a good while.

I have said I want Wentz and I think Jerry will have to pull the trigger at 4 to get him. Rumors are being floated that Cleveland likes Wentz at 2 great then take Goff at 4 if he is there and move along. I'm out on Lynch unless you could get him in the 2nd or third and I know opinions on this will vary greatly and that's fine.

The Cowboys are in a position to address a position that means the most to any NFL teams success "QB" with a pick high enough in the draft to gamble on the choice. And yes the draft is a gamble its a educated gamble but still a gamble.

SB's are won with #1 draft picks at QB 25 is the total, add in the non first round multiple winner exceptions of Brady 6th round (4 rings) , Staubach navy commitment ( 2 rings) , Starr ( 2 rings) before the NFL changed they combined to win 8 and that moves the total to 33 that's 66% with the remaining 44% spread over 17 SB's.

Simple math over history then says you have a 2.5% chance to win a SB with a QB not drafted in the first round not named Brady, Staubach, Starr. I not really a gambling man but a #1 draft pick vs 2.5 % is not a bet its inside trading on wall street by comparison.

I get that it's not ideal, but it's the same height as Revis...
I also am not saying they will be Revis, but Revis completely shut down Randy Moss more than once and that is a big height difference...

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That does sound good, but going deeper there have been 45 QBs drafted in 1st round since 99. 17 have a playoff win. I'm not trying to kick your theory because it's obviously fact proven. I think only 16 of those 45 have winning records. I just tend to think its a lot of luck involved. Sure there are some that were can't miss that I would have taken. How many though have been cant miss, will not fail bonafide superstars. Seriously going back to the Late 80s, I would say I would felt this way about only a handful. I'm talking about guys that all scouts rave about and there isn't any question. Aikman, Manning, Luck. For some reason I was extremely high on Big Ben. My 5th would have been a big swing and miss in Brady Quinn.

I just think a lot of luck dictates the rest. How does anyone explain Brady being a 6th or 20 teams passing on ARod. Drew Brees was a second rounder I think. Those guys are great on any team, I get that.

Now the Flaccos. I know he has won a Super Bowl and normally outstanding in the playoffs, but if we didn't have Romo and could have anyone- I would never consider him. I'm not saying he isn't good. I just don't think he is a lot better than most.

My favorite college Qb of all time- Andre Woodson from UK. If you looked at mocks after his senior yr he was projected to go 13th to KC. After the Sr. Bowl, Pro day, combine- I think he got picked in the 7th round.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo your right luck has a lot to do with it.

And as my Accountant tells me every year I can make the numbers do what ever you want.

With that being said I still want to draft a QB in the first round. At 4 the chance is we could get a very good QB or we could whiff but you have to buy a ticket if you want to even have hope of winning the lottery.

JMHO

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And as my Accountant tells me every year I can make the numbers do what ever you want.

With that being said I still want to draft a QB in the first round. At 4 the chance is we could get a very good QB or we could whiff but you have to buy a ticket if you want to even have hope of winning the lottery.

JMHO
I will disagree with a QB at 4, not because I don't think we need a QB, but because I think that the talent of the 4th and 5th QB's is close to the #1 QB. IMO BPA at #4 doesn't include a QB.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMHO
I agree.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will disagree with a QB at 4, not because I don't think we need a QB, but because I think that the talent of the 4th and 5th QB's is close to the #1 QB. IMO BPA at #4 doesn't include a QB.
Its not smart for an NFL team or fair to the player to put so much stock on one game, but it will be very interesting to see how Wentz performs in the Senior Bowl. He has all the physical ability. He has shown to be able to do everything necessary in practice and in games. My knock on him was the competition. Can you use a top 5 pick on a QB playing against smaller, slower (on average) talent?

He gets his chance in the Senior Bowl to show what he can do against some NFL ready talent. Every player has good and bad days and for Wentz how his day goes is going to have a huge impact on his draft status IMO. If he has a great day he'll go top 10 and maybe top 4. If he looks outclassed he may drop to second round. I do have to say I am warming to this kid. He seems to be impressing at every turn. If you don't want QB at 4, you may want to root for Wentz to play poorly....

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not smart for an NFL team or fair to the player to put so much stock on one game, but it will be very interesting to see how Wentz performs in the Senior Bowl. He has all the physical ability. He has shown to be able to do everything necessary in practice and in games. My knock on him was the competition. Can you use a top 5 pick on a QB playing against smaller, slower (on average) talent?

He gets his chance in the Senior Bowl to show what he can do against some NFL ready talent. Every player has good and bad days and for Wentz how his day goes is going to have a huge impact on his draft status IMO. If he has a great day he'll go top 10 and maybe top 4. If he looks outclassed he may drop to second round. I do have to say I am warming to this kid. He seems to be impressing at every turn. If you don't want QB at 4, you may want to root for Wentz to play poorly....

Same as in years past, I don't have to like the pick to support it. If the team thinks he's the future and worth #4 I'll trust the staff. There's only one puck I flatly call the right to complain about over the years and that's Escobar. Back on the mouse my quote was "I reserve the right to complain about that pick"

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that it's not ideal, but it's the same height as Revis...
I also am not saying they will be Revis, but Revis completely shut down Randy Moss more than once and that is a big height difference...
How tall was Darrell Green? I agree with the comment on Revis, it doesn't matter to me if they are tall, only that they are good

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand the not wanting to pick a QB at 4. And I will support whatever the staff chooses to do with the same caveat that Manster has I can whine and then get over it eventually if they take a guy I don't think deserves to be picked at that position. For me the qb's are Goff, Wentz and then Lynch way behind but im not a pro scout.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the smaller school thoughts. But JFYI NDSU is the 5 time in a row FCS CHAMPIONS with 2 different Head Coaches. Wentz was on 4 teams that won Championships and QBed 2 of them. To be technical is was 1 1/2 as he missed 1/2 of this season with a broken wrist. And in FCS they have used playoff system since 1978.

If Wentz has a bad game at the senior bowl and drops to the 2nd round I would be more than happy to pick him in the 2nd round. Don't think it will happen but who knows.

JMHO

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the smaller school thoughts. But JFYI NDSU is the 5 time in a row FCS CHAMPIONS with 2 different Head Coaches. Wentz was on 4 teams that won Championships and QBed 2 of them. To be technical is was 1 1/2 as he missed 1/2 of this season with a broken wrist. And in FCS they have used playoff system since 1978.

If Wentz has a bad game at the senior bowl and drops to the 2nd round I would be more than happy to pick him in the 2nd round. Don't think it will happen but who knows.

JMHO
I'm all in on Wentz in the 2nd rd, or later in the first, just not at 4.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMHO
Sounds like they win with or without him:scratch:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is the flavor of the month. I have never seen him play, and yes I'm really excited about him lol. Funny how certain media buffs can sway ones opinion...Mayock. Heres the deal if you like him and believe he's a franchise QB you take him at 4. Don't get slick and say Oh I can get him in the second. I think that has bit JJ in the but too many times. The Cowboys control their own fate right now. I think who we selected at 4 will send this team in one of two directions. You miss we probably are stuck in mediocrity for a while. If we hit we become a serious contender in the next 2 or 3 years.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is the flavor of the month. I have never seen him play, and yes I'm really excited about him lol. Funny how certain media buffs can sway ones opinion...Mayock. Heres the deal if you like him and believe he's a franchise QB you take him at 4. Don't get slick and say Oh I can get him in the second. I think that has bit JJ in the but too many times. The Cowboys control their own fate right now. I think who we selected at 4 will send this team in one of two directions. You miss we probably are stuck in mediocrity for a while. If we hit we become a serious contender in the next 2 or 3 years.
Disagree...... If you like him and he's at least close to the BPA you take him, if he's rated as a guy you might be able to get with the 30th pick you wait, if you miss him so be it, but you damn sure don't pick him if you have 30 guy rated higher.