• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2023)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of pure boredom…

The 2024 SF OF could be interesting.

Slater (A4)
Yaz (A3)
Haniger (assuming he will not opt out)
Sabol (likely will hang up his catchers mitt with both Bart and Bailey in the mix)
Matos (next to zero chance he isn’t a full starter by ‘24)
Brown (he is killing AA almost as much as Matos is killing AAA)
Conforto (almost certainly opts out, and we will let him walk)
Johnson (he is good, but he is getting the squeeze)

My guess is the OF will be something like…

LF - Haniger (Brown will take this spot by the ASB)
CF - Matos
RF - Yaz

Sabol, Johnson, Slater will be the primary bench.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of pure boredom…

The 2024 SF OF could be interesting.

Slater (A4)
Yaz (A3)
Haniger (assuming he will not opt out)
Sabol (likely will hang up his catchers mitt with both Bart and Bailey in the mix)
Matos (next to zero chance he isn’t a full starter by ‘24)
Brown (he is killing AA almost as much as Matos is killing AAA)
Conforto (almost certainly opts out, and we will let him walk)
Johnson (he is good, but he is getting the squeeze)

My guess is the OF will be something like…

LF - Haniger (Brown will take this spot by the ASB)
CF - Matos
RF - Yaz

Sabol, Johnson, Slater will be the primary bench.
That's a decent prediction. I think somebody could get traded at the deadline this year if Vaun keeps balling out. I could see us trading Haniger

LF - Matos
CF - Slater
RF - Yaz
Bench: Sabol/BJ/Brown

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a decent prediction. I think somebody could get traded at the deadline this year if Vaun keeps balling out. I could see us trading Haniger

LF - Matos
CF - Slater
RF - Yaz
Bench: Sabol/BJ/Brown
I have heard that Matos has GG level defense in SF. Me may be put in left due to seniority (CF is the captain of the OF), but his future is 100% in center.

I know Brown has no pedigree. I know he is a little old for a TOP prospect. But NOTHING about his performance in the pros, almost from day 1, indicates he will be a 4th OF. Hell, he may be the real reason Matos is bumped to left, as his CF defense has gotten rave reviews as well.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that Matos has GG level defense in SF. Me may be put in left due to seniority (CF is the captain of the OF), but his future is 100% in center.

I know Brown has no pedigree. I know he is a little old for a TOP prospect. But NOTHING about his performance in the pros, almost from day 1, indicates he will be a 4th OF. Hell, he may be the real reason Matos is bumped to left, as his CF defense has gotten rave reviews as well.
Good info. Exciting times for Giant fans for sure.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matos was very impressive with the glove in the Arizona Fall League last year (2022). His hitting was meh. He hit .233, and had only 5 walks in 86 ABs. He was the youngest player in the AFL I think. He definitely has a future at the MLB level.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
José Cruz could be an option for the Giants at some point in 2023 as he is on the 40-man roster. He recorded 28 strikeouts in 18.2 innings with Eugene. His fastball has a lot of movement, but hitters really struggled to make any type of contact against his changeup.
Well, he recently got promoted to AA, along with Carson Whisenhunt. That dude is on the fast track. He could become this year's version of Kyle Harrison (from last year, much like Wade Meckler, should he get healthy soon, could become this year's version of Vaun Brown).

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he recently got promoted to AA, along with Carson Whisenhunt. That dude is on the fast track. He could become this year's version of Kyle Harrison (from last year, much like Wade Meckler, should he get healthy soon, could become this year's version of Vaun Brown).

Whisenhunt pitched 5 innings tonight, 2 hits, 2 walks, 7 Ks, NO RUNS! :clap2:

Reactions: LHG

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a while since we could get truly excited by what's coming from the farm

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a while since we could get truly excited by what's coming from the farm
Having two guys graduate within a few days of each other, and both debut with success, is fun. We haven’t had anyone graduate with any heat since who? Arroyo? And he didn’t last long at all.

Webb and Doval are successes, but neither came up with a lot of heat attached.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having two guys graduate within a few days of each other, and both debut with success, is fun. We haven’t had anyone graduate with any heat since who? Arroyo? And he didn’t last long at all.

Webb and Doval are successes, but neither came up with a lot of heat attached.
Shame Ramos was kind of a bust, and maybe Bart too so getting some wins is fun. Matos and Harrison coming, etc

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame Ramos was kind of a bust, and maybe Bart too so getting some wins is fun. Matos and Harrison coming, etc
Matos and Harrison both likely later this season. Whisenhunt and Luciano next season. McCray and Brown possibly in that time period as well. All supported by guys like Meckler, Roupp, Fitzgerald, Dabovich, Rodriguez, etc. All of whom have breakout potential as well.

The farm has all of the sudden started looking both deep AND top heavy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matos and Harrison both likely later this season. Whisenhunt and Luciano next season. McCray and Brown possibly in that time period as well. All supported by guys like Meckler, Roupp, Fitzgerald, Dabovich, Rodriguez, etc. All of whom have breakout potential as well.

The farm has all of the sudden started looking both deep AND top heavy.
I think we had an inkling that this was coming but some of these guys came out of nowhere. I've appreciated the fact that the org has been fairly quick to promote guys who look like they need to be promoted. That was a knock I had against the Sabean/Evans regime. They tended to move slowly on all but a few prospects.

Luciano is scaring me, though. Considering Joe Panik's downward trend after a back injury (as cal has pointed out before) and Ramos' sudden slide into bust land, Luciano's 2023 season is starting to look like he may fall into that category as well. Currently, he is hitting .162/.266/.362 in 105 PAs with Richmond. Yes, AA is tough on hitters but not as much as it used to be. I've seen more guys go there and be successful than in the past. Heck, Jacob Heyward hit better than that in his time at AA, and he spent 3 years there!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we had an inkling that this was coming but some of these guys came out of nowhere. I've appreciated the fact that the org has been fairly quick to promote guys who look like they need to be promoted. That was a knock I had against the Sabean/Evans regime. They tended to move slowly on all but a few prospects.

Luciano is scaring me, though. Considering Joe Panik's downward trend after a back injury (as cal has pointed out before) and Ramos' sudden slide into bust land, Luciano's 2023 season is starting to look like he may fall into that category as well. Currently, he is hitting .162/.266/.362 in 105 PAs with Richmond. Yes, AA is tough on hitters but not as much as it used to be. I've seen more guys go there and be successful than in the past. Heck, Jacob Heyward hit better than that in his time at AA, and he spent 3 years there!
I mean, it's never the case that every prospect pans out even the ones with initial hype. So Ramos, Luciano, maybe Bart are busts but Schmitt, Bailey, maybe Matos and Harrison are legit, that's about as good an average as you can hope for.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it's never the case that every prospect pans out even the ones with initial hype. So Ramos, Luciano, maybe Bart are busts but Schmitt, Bailey, maybe Matos and Harrison are legit, that's about as good an average as you can hope for.
Remember the big 4 just before the dynasty…

Bum, Posey, Alderson, Villalona

2 hits, 2 misses. And all 4 were top 100 prospects. Of our current crop, only Matos, Luciano and Harrison have been top 100, but one is already starting to smell slightly busty…

But out other blue chippers since…

Cabrera (RIP)
Ramos
Wheeler (was he ever a top 100 for us?)
Crick (I THINK he cracked the 100, didn’t he?)

I think I am forgetting 1 or 2…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember the big 4 just before the dynasty…

Bum, Posey, Alderson, Villalona

2 hits, 2 misses. And all 4 were top 100 prospects. Of our current crop, only Matos, Luciano and Harrison have been top 100, but one is already starting to smell slightly busty…

But out other blue chippers since…

Cabrera (RIP)
Ramos
Wheeler (was he ever a top 100 for us?)
Crick (I THINK he cracked the 100, didn’t he?)

I think I am forgetting 1 or 2…
Oh I know that not all prospects pan out, unfortunately. It is still fun to dream about all of them hitting or pitching to expectations and the kind of team that they create. I guess that just makes it more tough when they don't pan out.

I mentioned Luciano because cal commented about him arriving next year. I guess that is still possible but he's going to have to start hitting at AA first, especially if shortstop won't be his long term home.