• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins Are Considering a Trade for All-Pro Patriots OG Joe Thuney

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, rumors Miami could trade up to #3...not for a QB. For an OT

They certainly have the picks to do whatever they like. All they need is a dance partner. Then hope like hell they made the right choice.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if...

but again, the pats will have $100 mil+ in cap space that year too.

Yep and that's why a guy like Thuney should shut up and play. He could get a healthy pay day next season. Dude was a projected third-fourth pick in 2016. He's proven himself as an early third round pick and I think still has room to improve. If BB trades him BB better not get fleeced, especially by the Dolphins. Hopefully BB remembers Scar is gone and not coming back again. OL like Thuney are hard to find.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flores will trade fairly. If he really wants Thuney, he'll most likely offer BB a second and a fifth. The Dolphins have 14 picks and Flores is too smart to waste them. He's got 5,18,26 in the first round 39 and 56 in the second. He got three in the fifth 153, 154, 173.

For a 27 year old All Pro who's never missed game...

Round 2, pick 24 (No. 56 overall)
Round 5, pick 27 (No. 173 overall)

I hate that Scar is gone. We saw what happened when Oline starting go down and TB wasn't the TB of old. Can a Stidhman or whoever be successful with a weakened Oline?

Hate trading guys like this. But I'd grudgingly take that offer from the Dolphins .

I can see BB accumulating even more picks this year. He'll stockpile and have a bunch next year when he'll also have that huge cap $ available. That's when he'll push all his chips in for one last run and leave the cupboards bare for Josh.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have had 7 already if he'd played Butler.

He doesn't seem to do well with drafts.

I would've given this a double face palm if possible. One for each of your statements.

Your first statement I won't even address it's been kicked around enough.

Have you not paid attention to his drafts for over 20 years? Name another coach who has hit on as many picks as BB has. Especially considering a large portion of picks have been #32 at best. I'll agree he hasn't been good at finding WRs but is that because Tommy didn't want to throw to them either? He also missed a handful of CBs.

If you want to ding him on his trades I'll agree with you.

But just look at the past couple years by themselves.
upload_2020-4-23_11-55-36.png

Almost the entire 2019 draft class are contributing minus the couple who were IR but will likely prove well this year.
2018 half the picks playing for NE or someone else.
2017 four picks starting in the 3rd. Wise has been a big time contributor.

upload_2020-4-23_11-58-50.png
2016 again half playing and contributing
2015 more than half playing and contributing
2014 ditto
upload_2020-4-23_12-1-12.png
You seeing a pattern here yet?
upload_2020-4-23_12-2-20.png
OK by now you must've seen the picture. I'll just leave this one from 2000 right here
upload_2020-4-23_12-4-13.png

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't pay much attention to the draft.

I wait till they start playing for real. Many look good playing with kids.

Could have had 7 already if he'd played Butler.

He doesn't seem to do well with drafts.

So you don't pay much attention to the draft but want to tell us how BB does with the draft:scratch: smoke some more reefer I can see it really helps:thumb:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked Mitch but I dont really know how you can compare those two guys bc they didnt have injury problems like Tua.

People pick apart these guys because they have too much time on their hands. Who is on Madden this year? A QB that many wanted to change positions. Watch the tape and trust the doctors. Whether you avoid Tua or take him and he fails, your team is likely looking for a QB either way. I would take the (supposed) risk, especially since there doesn't seem to be a need for Miami or San Diego to necessarily trade up for him right now (but of course, that could all be smoke too).

I've seen Tyrod extensively as a Bills fan. He's a stop-gap, not a guy you want as your full-starter without a guy developing in the wings. He's like Mariota; he limits turnovers by shying away from tough throws. Miami has even less at QB unless they are truly going to give Rosen a chance (which he hasn't really had to date). Fitz is only good when he has to prove himself; when a job is his, he quickly self-combusts.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't pay much attention to the draft but want to tell us how BB does with the draft:scratch: smoke some more reefer I can see it really helps:thumb:

He does well in the later rounds, likely why he trades out of the first. He hasn't been able to draft WR well for example. The myth of Bill being a master doesn't extend to the draft. He's average there IMO.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami Herald reports the Lions are "planning" as if they will have the No. 5 overall pick in tomorrow evening's first round.

- Rotoworld.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly have the picks to do whatever they like. All they need is a dance partner. Then hope like hell they made the right choice.

I'm not buying the OT claim at #3. They don't have to even move up to get an OT, unless they HAVE to have their #1 choice. Only the Giants at 4 are potentially going OT, and there are multiples expected to go in the top 10-15.

Of course, the Dolphins were also rumored to be trying to get to #2 without losing #5, which seems ridiculous. That would cost them future 1sts and 2nds and all kinds of draft capital.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does well in the later rounds, likely why he trades out of the first. He hasn't been able to draft WR well for example. The myth of Bill being a master doesn't extend to the draft. He's average there IMO.
He's done well in the early rounds as well. Look at those picks from the first and second rounds he's chosen. A majority of starters, pro bowlers or all teamers or major contributors.

I agree as I already mentioned he can't draft WRs.

Late rounds and UDFA he's been outstanding.

Before knocking him name another GM who has been as successful. Take into account longevity and how many busts come out of every draft. Or at the very least underperform.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying the OT claim at #3. They don't have to even move up to get an OT, unless they HAVE to have their #1 choice. Only the Giants at 4 are potentially going OT, and there are multiples expected to go in the top 10-15.

Of course, the Dolphins were also rumored to be trying to get to #2 without losing #5, which seems ridiculous. That would cost them future 1sts and 2nds and all kinds of draft capital.

Agree I'm not sure they're going to move up for anyone? I just mentioned they have picks to do whatever they want.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree I'm not sure they're going to move up for anyone? I just mentioned they have picks to do whatever they want.

They do, but they also have a lot of holes. Need multiple OL, QB, RB, S, DT, etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done well in the early rounds as well. Look at those picks from the first and second rounds he's chosen. A majority of starters, pro bowlers or all teamers or major contributors.

I agree as I already mentioned he can't draft WRs.

Late rounds and UDFA he's been outstanding.

Before knocking him name another GM who has been as successful. Take into account longevity and how many busts come out of every draft. Or at the very least underperform.

Well, few have his longevity, so that makes a tough comparison. Brandon Beane has only had 2 drafts thus far with the Bills, but has been very successful.

1: Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds (both key starters and leaders of their side of the ball)
3: Harrison Phillips - injured last year, but key rotational DL at least
4: Taron Johnson - rotational DB, played well when needed due to injuries
5: Siran Neal - rotational DB/S and key special teamer
5: Wyatt Teller - showed promise as a power blocking OG, traded last offseason
6: Ray Ray Armstrong - hasn't developed much or taken advantage of some chances at returns
7: Austin Proehl - no longer with the team

1: Ed Oliver - slow start, but came on strong as the season went along, key starter at DT moving forward
2: Cody Ford - starter at RG or RT for now and the future
3: Devin Singletary - eased in as a rotational back last year, key starter moving forward
3: Dawson Knox - slow start last year as he adjusted to the talent level, shows a lot of promise as a TE receiving threat
5: Vosean Joseph - early injury put him on IR, athletic WOLB prospect that needs coaching up, special teams at min.
6: Jacquan Johnson - rotational safety buried on the depth chart
7: Darrell Johnson Jr - OLB/Edge type, not much usage to date (5 tackles)
7: Tommy Sweeney - got some early run at TE due to injuries to Knox and Kraft, should be a solid backup/co-TE with Knox, more conventional blocker/receiver

Can't ask for much more than that through 2 drafts. Of course, a lot hinges on Josh continuing to develop. Not afraid to trade up for his guy, so far so good.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what though? They've lost quite a bit of talent on both sides.

giphy.gif

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what though? They've lost quite a bit of talent on both sides.
They still have a strong defense and Belichick calling the shots.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Dolphins trading back out of the #5 spot and going down to #9 to the Jags (who take Tua), swapping picks (5 for 9), adding another 1st rounder next year. Then trading back with NE (so NE can draft Love or Herbert), swapping picks (9 for 23) - Patriots also trade away 1st rounder next year, 3rd next year, 2nd this year and Thuney. Miami then has massive draft leverage next year to trade up for Trevor Lawrence. Plus, they still have 3 - 1st round picks this year, 3 2nd round picks this year...next year they will have 4 1st round picks and several 2nd and 3rd round picks. They will be absolutely loaded.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really digging how Miami has gone about their rebuild up to this point. In a really good position to own the AFC East by 2021 or so if they hit on the QB in this draft.
Don't mention this to some on here as they've said that it will take Miami 10 years to contend due to those moves. I'm like you why not trade away players for value if you can get it especially if they are older and won't be around later anyway. Apparently I'm foolish for thinking this way. Who the heck can build through the draft and FA anyway....:L

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mention this to some on here as they've said that it will take Miami 10 years to contend due to those moves. I'm like you why not trade away players for value if you can get it especially if they are older and won't be around later anyway. Apparently I'm foolish for thinking this way. Who the heck can build through the draft and FA anyway....:L

Hahaha love your denial. At least it gives you hope.

Many on here have said Miami has been rebuilding for a decade. Two decades to be more accurate.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, few have his longevity, so that makes a tough comparison. Brandon Beane has only had 2 drafts thus far with the Bills, but has been very successful.

1: Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds (both key starters and leaders of their side of the ball)
3: Harrison Phillips - injured last year, but key rotational DL at least
4: Taron Johnson - rotational DB, played well when needed due to injuries
5: Siran Neal - rotational DB/S and key special teamer
5: Wyatt Teller - showed promise as a power blocking OG, traded last offseason
6: Ray Ray Armstrong - hasn't developed much or taken advantage of some chances at returns
7: Austin Proehl - no longer with the team

1: Ed Oliver - slow start, but came on strong as the season went along, key starter at DT moving forward
2: Cody Ford - starter at RG or RT for now and the future
3: Devin Singletary - eased in as a rotational back last year, key starter moving forward
3: Dawson Knox - slow start last year as he adjusted to the talent level, shows a lot of promise as a TE receiving threat
5: Vosean Joseph - early injury put him on IR, athletic WOLB prospect that needs coaching up, special teams at min.
6: Jacquan Johnson - rotational safety buried on the depth chart
7: Darrell Johnson Jr - OLB/Edge type, not much usage to date (5 tackles)
7: Tommy Sweeney - got some early run at TE due to injuries to Knox and Kraft, should be a solid backup/co-TE with Knox, more conventional blocker/receiver

Can't ask for much more than that through 2 drafts. Of course, a lot hinges on Josh continuing to develop. Not afraid to trade up for his guy, so far so good.

You're absolutely correct on comparing 20 years to two years. Just look at how many misses most GMs have vs the number of hits. BB doesn't get the luxury of selecting the blue chip top 1-15 very often.

Not to mention Allen and Edmunds #7 and #16. Wynn was a relative early pick at #23 for BB.

Oliver # 9 vs. Harry at #32.

When you're drafting in the top 15 those are supposed to be locks.

Sorry I give Bill the advantage. This is by no means me saying BB hasn't/can't do wrong. He has and will likely continue to. He's had misses and some serious head scratches. I'd say his mid rounders is where he hasn't been as successful. The later round players and UDFAs are a crap shoot so how to fault any GM on those selections. BB has done well there.