• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does cleveland prove how worthless nba coaches are?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off there are some great nba coaches, popovich is a heck if a basketball coach....but Blatt is a flat out joke, dude almost got fired before mid season and he very well could win an nba finals. The guy at miami is a terrible coach, but he has 2 rings thanks to his all star team he had.

What cleveland is showing is how basketball is now AAU style and roll the ball out there and just manage minutes.

Blatt in no way is a good nba coach.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off there are some great nba coaches, popovich is a heck if a basketball coach....but Blatt is a flat out joke, dude almost got fired before mid season and he very well could win an nba finals. The guy at miami is a terrible coach, but he has 2 rings thanks to his all star team he had.

What cleveland is showing is how basketball is now AAU style and roll the ball out there and just manage minutes.

You have to remember that 90% of coaching is not done during the game. No matter how good your talent is, at the NBA level you can not just throw guys out there and manage minutes. They still need preparation, motivation, strategy, etc. Jordan and Pippen played together without winning a ring as did Kobe and Shaq. Coaching still matters, even when it involves getting out of the way and letting your guys run (maybe especially then as you can over-coach as well).

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most important thing about coaching isn't calling plays, or teaching your guys how to play bball (other than installing a defense)

all these guys know how to pass, shoot (.... well most of them), cut, set screens etc its about getting everyone on the same page (that happens during the reg season).

I think the most important thing an NBA coach does is make adjustments to matchups/how they defend those matchups (pick n roll D etc). A lot of that stuff isn't blatantly obvious.

I don't think blatt is a great coach, but i think coaching is vital. There is a reason everyone who ends up in SA turns into a really great role player or star

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blatt is a puppet.
'His' offense was totally scrapped, and not by him.
If he was on sick leave, results would be the same.

Reality is, nobody in the East ever solved the offense that the Heat created for James.

Once the Cavs were slumping so bad, they went out and made those couple trades which best tried to replicate
the rosters we had here.

Shump and Smith turned into Battier and Allen.

Pretty much any big can thrive and produce with James in that offense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense has been better and he runs some set plays, and yes still manages minutes. So yes he deserves some credit, but I'm not gonna sit here and say it is all him or he is a great coach. He is a decent rookie coach, he just needs to adjust to the NBA.

He does have Lebron.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blatt is a puppet.
'His' offense was totally scrapped, and not by him.
If he was on sick leave, results would be the same.

Reality is, nobody in the East ever solved the offense that the Heat created for James.

Once the Cavs were slumping so bad, they went out and made those couple trades which best tried to replicate
the rosters we had here.

Shump and Smith turned into Battier and Allen.

Pretty much any big can thrive and produce with James in that offense.

But Cleveland I will say doesnt have as much depth as Miami did, they have more guys who can takeover but they have a workhorse in Tristan, too another level. This guy is great, defensively and rebounding is great, also he has a little floater that is nice.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The masses look at a couple of (really) bad coaching moments and think they are seeing all they need to see to know that Blatt is a horrible coach.

In reality... the masses - collectively - are clueless idiots. You don't see the practices, the game film sessions, the player relationships, and a horde of other things that go into being the head coach in the NBA.

Blatt is the head coach of a team who has suffered huge injury after huge injury and yet is still on the path towards a Championship. Any other coach would be receiving mountains of praise for accomplishing that.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The masses look at a couple of (really) bad coaching moments and think they are seeing all they need to see to know that Blatt is a horrible coach.

In reality... the masses - collectively - are clueless idiots. You don't see the practices, the game film sessions, the player relationships, and a horde of other things that go into being the head coach in the NBA.

Blatt is the head coach of a team who has suffered huge injury after huge injury and yet is still on the path towards a Championship. Any other coach would be receiving mountains of praise for accomplishing that.

So they didn't have practices (including all preseason), film sessions, player relationships, and a "horde of other things" when they were 19-20?

Things changed when they (James) scrapped Blatts offense, and they made the needed trades that just happen to fit perfectly into the offense that worked for James in Miami.

Blatt might not be a "horrible" coach, but as we've seen, for the most part any coach is only as good as his talent.

NOTHING that Blatt brought from his Euro experience (that I have seen) is the reason for any of the success of this team.

Its been reported all season that Tyronn Lue is who the players have most taken too....you know, the guy who beart hugged Blatt when he was calling the T.O. they didn't have against the Bulls.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Cleveland I will say doesnt have as much depth as Miami did, they have more guys who can takeover but they have a workhorse in Tristan, too another level. This guy is great, defensively and rebounding is great, also he has a little floater that is nice.

Tristan has put the Cavs in a situation where they are going to have to pay him.
It's quite reasonable to assume that they might have 35M+ tied up between he and Love next year.
That's a whole lot to have invested in players who for the most part can't be on the court at the same time.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan has put the Cavs in a situation where they are going to have to pay him.
It's quite reasonable to assume that they might have 35M+ tied up between he and Love next year.
That's a whole lot to have invested in players who for the most part can't be on the court at the same time.

Agreed.

Man, I have had to take huge gulps of STFU about the Cavs this Season.

I LMAO when I learned Tristan turned down 12m per.

Looks like both he and Butler's gamble paid off.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

It was really NO gamble for Tristan (except for injury)since he shares James agent.
Once the season ends, and James opts out, flies to Vegas, isn't heard from, Gilbert has no choice but to bring the old checkbook out in every single situation that James wants him to.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know, at least they have Bird Rights on Love. But Thompson will get 11-12 mil at least and Love at 20-22 mil.

But now it looks like Tristan will get 14-15 mil. FML!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they didn't have practices (including all preseason), film sessions, player relationships, and a "horde of other things" when they were 19-20?

The return on good coaching isn't always immediate. You're just pointing out yet another obstacle that this team and this coach have overcome together this season.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Ultimately it is up to the players to perform on the court, but the coaching staff's role in preparing the players for success is important. There's more to a basketball game than just the game itself.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent is there in Cleveland for them to do well. Still after losing Love I didn't think they'd get past Chicago. They did and they're now up 1-0 on Atlanta.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The return on good coaching isn't always immediate. You're just pointing out yet another obstacle that this team and this coach have overcome together this season.

I agree with the first line of this post, but not in this instance.
NOTHING that Blatt instituted worked.
The changes weren't his idea nor were they anything he created.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

He's had a few really good games but he's still averaging just 9ppg and 9.5ppg in the postseason. Doubtful that translates to 10-12 million.

If so, Ed Davis would get seriously paid since he averaged 8.3ppg and 7.6rpg in just 23mpg. And Davis isn't getting more than 6-7 million per season (and that's a stretch). And yes, they are similar players.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always believed good coaching was essential to win a championship. The jump the Warriors made after firing Jackson and hiring Kerr has only solidified that point of view.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh

NBA coaches are generally not that important.
Only a handful are worth anything more than a game or two.

Its PLAYERS, PLAYERS, and then PLAYERS some more.

There is a reason why its a constant recycling of retread coaches.

Even Popovich is likely going to suddenly find himself not that great anymore when Duncan retires.