• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you agree with the selection committee's make up?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with everyone that says Alabama shouldn't have been there and we should strip the trophy and give it to UCF.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sagarin final ranking had osu at 13, UGA at 6, OK at 7, Clemson at 4, bam at 27, wisc at 47
I could see "maybe" osu, had they not had their shit handed to them by Iowa, but no way wisc
or ucf (72) needed to be considered

Sagarin does predictive model AND looks at last season's SOS. I am purely looking at present day SOS.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
txhCbk.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, Alabama’s SoS was weak enough to justify it.

Everyone else apparently disagrees.

The committee, all the AP voters across the country and all the coaches across the country all had the same order.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sagarin final ranking had osu at 13, UGA at 6, OK at 7, Clemson at 4, bam at 27, wisc at 47
I could see "maybe" osu, had they not had their shit handed to them by Iowa, but no way wisc
or ucf (72) needed to be considered

You have to use SOS prior to bowls if you want to look at the decision.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to use SOS prior to bowls if you want to look at the decision.

Correct, AND Jeff Sagarin uses a predictive model. It's not based on averaging together OW% and OOW%.

I never really see how Wisky's schedule was inferior to Bama's schedule. I would have much rather they picked Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma, and then Ohio State.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone else apparently disagrees.

The committee, all the AP voters across the country and all the coaches across the country all had the same order.

You don’t think it was inherent bias that the team name was alabama? In no way shape or form was Alabama’s SoS better than Ohio states. You are saying Alabama’s SoS wasn’t weak enough to have Ohio st bump them? Is that correct?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t think it was inherent bias that the team name was alabama?

No, the computers saw the same things and almost always do.

In no way shape or form was Alabama’s SoS better than Ohio states.

Nope, thus the reason Alabama was #4 going into the playoffs rather than #1 or #2.

You are saying Alabama’s SoS wasn’t weak enough to have Ohio st bump them? Is that correct?

Correct, if SoS was the only measure being used here, then Auburn would have made the playoffs, along with Florida St.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t think it was inherent bias that the team name was alabama? In no way shape or form was Alabama’s SoS better than Ohio states. You are saying Alabama’s SoS wasn’t weak enough to have Ohio st bump them? Is that correct?
The committee won't admit it but getting stomped by Iowa and getting stomped by Clemson the year before are the reasons Ohio State didn't make the playoff. Looks bad when you give someone the bennifit of the doubt and they shit the bed.

Since Alabama won it all then they will get the same preferential treatment next year if it comes into play. Some of you mofos besides Auburn needs to step up and beat their ass. I'm tired of them taking out Wisconsin, USC and FSU.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the computers saw the same things and almost always do.

Nope, thus the reason Alabama was #4 going into the playoffs rather than #1 or #2.

Correct, if SoS was the only measure being used here, then Auburn would have made the playoffs, along with Florida St.

It’s not computers picking playoffs teams.

So what was the criteria for Alabama to be 4? Or what would the criteria have been for them to be 1 or 2?

Obviously a team with 6 losses isn’t making the playoff. But a team with 2 losses compared to one, with a much better SoS and one of those losses to a team in the top 3 is getting overlooked because of a bad loss? They aren’t using SoS.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee won't admit it but getting stomped by Iowa and getting stomped by Clemson the year before are the reasons Ohio State didn't make the playoff. Looks bad when you give someone the bennifit of the doubt and they shit the bed.

Since Alabama won it all then they will get the same preferential treatment next year if it comes into play. Some of you mofos besides Auburn needs to step up and beat their ass. I'm tired of them taking out Wisconsin, USC and FSU.

I believe all of that. It’s just shitty that bad loss cost them but it happens. But what’s the criteria or set of standards we are looking at here? I truely believe the committee has none.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure why this is a debated concept.

Anderson & Hester

Ohio State - .595 (11th best)
Alabama - .540 (51st best)

Ohio State played 6 teams rated in the top 25 (Oklahoma, Wisky, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Iowa)

Alabama played 2 teams rated in the top 25 (Auburn and LSU)

Colley Matrix

Ohio State - .620 (8th)
Alabama - .555 (51st)

Ohio State played 5 teams rated in the top 25. Alabama played 2 teams.

Alabama played a good schedule. Ohio State played a GREAT schedule. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather put in a 2-loss team which played a great schedule AND won their conference over a 1-loss team with a good schedule and no division/conference title.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe all of that. It’s just shitty that bad loss cost them but it happens. But what’s the criteria or set of standards we are looking at here? I truely believe the committee has none.

There's no criteria. They CLAIM that they look at SOS, Conference championships, H2H/CO, and other relevant information (yes, that's a criteria in their minds), if everything is equal. But they never define what equal means. It's simply whatever they want.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why this is a debated concept.

Anderson & Hester

Ohio State - .595 (11th best)
Alabama - .540 (51st best)

Ohio State played 6 teams rated in the top 25 (Oklahoma, Wisky, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Iowa)

Alabama played 2 teams rated in the top 25 (Auburn and LSU)

Colley Matrix

Ohio State - .620 (8th)
Alabama - .555 (51st)

Ohio State played 5 teams rated in the top 25. Alabama played 2 teams.

Alabama played a good schedule. Ohio State played a GREAT schedule. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather put in a 2-loss team which played a great schedule AND won their conference over a 1-loss team with a good schedule and no division/conference title.

We are all in agreement OSUs was better. He just stated Alabama’s wasn’t bad enough for them to get bumped which I disagreed with.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all in agreement OSUs was better. He just stated Alabama’s wasn’t bad enough for them to get bumped which I disagreed with.

:crazy:

I am not a Bama hater, but give me a break. You failed to win your division or conference. Your only strong win was against LSU. Lets not pretend that Miss State was somehow a high class win. Meanwhile, Ohio State beats Wisky, Penn State, and Michigan State, and wins the toughest conference in FBS, and they get left out because you lose twice.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:crazy:

I am not Bama hater, but give me a break. You failed to win your division or conference. Your only strong win was against LSU. Lets not pretend that Miss State was somehow a high class win. Meanwhile, Ohio State beats Wisky, Penn State, and Michigan State, and wins the toughest conference in FBS, and they get left out because you lose twice.

This is exactly why I believe they didn’t use SoS in Ohio states case. But yet they did it to nix Wisconsin and UCF. There is no set of standards that applies to all.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly why I believe they didn’t use SoS in Ohio states case. But yet they did it to nix Wisconsin and UCF. There is no set of standards that applies to all.

I think it's pretty safe to say that. There's an obvious double standard here. All year "we" made excuses for their SOS and lack of big wins. The committee decided to throw in Fresno State and Miss State in order to trump up Bama's resume. They were ranked #1 and #2 all season long, because of their past records.

Wisconsin suffered because they didn't have a "flashy team" and perceived to be in the irrelevant side of the Big-10.

UCF suffered because they are not a power conference team and didn't have the quality power conference wins. It didn't matter that they beat Memphis twice or was the highest scoring team in the nation.

Don't get me wrong, I get why the system is the way it is: The committee wants to put in teams they like the best and feel would make the more appealing match-up. Alabama getting in, is good for their pocketbooks.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not computers picking playoffs teams.

So what was the criteria for Alabama to be 4? Or what would the criteria have been for them to be 1 or 2?

Obviously a team with 6 losses isn’t making the playoff. But a team with 2 losses compared to one, with a much better SoS and one of those losses to a team in the top 3 is getting overlooked because of a bad loss? They aren’t using SoS.

It's not just "2 losses". One is a 31 point loss to a 7-5 team. They are trying to make a claim as one of the 4 best teams in college football and that loss is too much to overcome. Just like the team with 6 losses etc no longer has a claim no matter how tough their schedule is.

Alabama didn't deserve it the way the top3 did. But everyone else fucked up worse and I'm not going to apologize for it.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cupcake = FCS program.

Ohio State's SOS was rated the #8 and #11 best in college football last season, according to Colley and A&H.

No, a cupcake is an easy game. Ohio State had the three I listed. UNLV lost at home to a mediocre Howard team.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just "2 losses". One is a 31 point loss to a 7-5 team. They are trying to make a claim as one of the 4 best teams in college football and that loss is too much to overcome. Just like the team with 6 losses etc no longer has a claim no matter how tough their schedule is.

Alabama didn't deserve it the way the top3 did. But everyone else fucked up worse and I'm not going to apologize for it.

I’m not asking you to apologize. If you remember I was one of the people that said Alabama only needed a TCU win or an Ohio State win to get in. I stand by that. What I don’t stand by is the lack of committee criteria that applies to all.