• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we need to prepare for Mediocrity?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened to Kaepernick?
He was blackballed by the league. Are you saying the club did not have conversations with each other?

"The New York Times reported several owners support the fine against Jones and that the commissioner pursued the action after they believed that Jones had "crossed an unspoken boundary by threatening his colleagues."
The Kaepernick and Flores Stories are completely different.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened to Kaepernick?
He was blackballed by the league. Are you saying the club did not have conversations with each other?

"The New York Times reported several owners support the fine against Jones and that the commissioner pursued the action after they believed that Jones had "crossed an unspoken boundary by threatening his colleagues."
Kaepernick is a difficult example. His play had so deteriorated that a consensus was building that after one great year he was figured out... I'm not saying "solidarity" wasn't at play at all, but there certainly didn't seem to be big rewards for turning a back on it.

There could be a big reward for BB who would not need to re-train a worthy DC, could stick it to the league that has been more than happy to stick it to him... not to mention he's retiring soon enough that any backlash would be brief.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick is a difficult example. His play had so deteriorated that a consensus was building that after one great year he was figured out... I'm not saying "solidarity" wasn't at play at all, but there certainly didn't seem to be big rewards for turning a back on it.

There could be a big reward for BB who would not need to re-train a worthy DC, could stick it to the league that has been more than happy to stick it to him... not to mention he's retiring soon enough that any backlash would be brief.
Colon was fast becoming just a mediocre QB and he walked away from SF with a year remaining on his contract.
He then blasted the NFL for blackballing him and has made tens of millions off the racism angle. Literally like $50 mil from Nike and Netflix.

Flores got actually fucked into a corner then cut loose.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to make a run to the store today and was listening to great debate on WEEI.

Lou Merloney says that the Patriots have been in 'rebuilding' mode since 2020 and that piss poor drafts have doomed them to continue rebuilding until 2024. His belief is that it takes a draft class two to three years to actually play to the pro level. Some players take less time, others take more. He says that horrible drafts in 2018. 2019, 2020 have put the Pats in a box. The 2021 draft class has excelled and has already started making a difference. Then he really pissed of Christian Fouria when he said, that Bill missed more than he hit with all of his free agent spending last year.

Had to go into the store and missed a lot of what Fouria had to say, but when I came out he was saying that Judon, Henry, Bourne and even Goxchaux were good signings. To which Lou retorted that Agholor and Jonnu were big misses and that $22M could have been much better spent. Then he said that BB knew he would be dealing Gilmore and that JC could also be leavuing and spent that money on a cornerback and an OL.

Merloney was still talking when I got home and the final thing I heard him say was that Bill has to have a draft in 2022 equally as good as 2021 or the rebuild will be pushed into 2025 or 26. Before I shut off the car he said, "I've accepted that this team will not be competitive this year and quite possibly next year. But I can't see the Krafts just standing by and not getting involved if it continues into 2025."

What's the thoughts in here?? Is it really a rebuild that's going on??

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah its rebuilding not sure how anyone was not aware of that. I said before and people disagree that is part not all but part of why TB12 left, he could not survive another rebuild so what did he do, went to a team stocked and locked. BB built the D up I suspect this draft may have two O Line and at least on WR

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah its rebuilding not sure how anyone was not aware of that. I said before and people disagree that is part not all but part of why TB12 left, he could not survive another rebuild so what did he do, went to a team stocked and locked. BB built the D up I suspect this draft may have two O Line and at least on WR

I agree 100%. BB probably even told TB that is was gonna be a few years to get it back on track. And all this while coaches were being poached.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lou Merloney says ...
There's your mistake... Listening to anything Lou says.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lou Merloney says that the Patriots have been in 'rebuilding' mode since 2020 and that piss poor drafts have doomed them to continue rebuilding until 2024. His belief is that it takes a draft class two to three years to actually play to the pro level. Some players take less time, others take more. He says that horrible drafts in 2018. 2019, 2020 have put the Pats in a box. The 2021 draft class has excelled and has already started making a difference. Then he really pissed of Christian Fouria when he said, that Bill missed more than he hit with all of his free agent spending last year.

Had to go into the store and missed a lot of what Fouria had to say, but when I came out he was saying that Judon, Henry, Bourne and even Goxchaux were good signings. To which Lou retorted that Agholor and Jonnu were big misses and that $22M could have been much better spent. Then he said that BB knew he would be dealing Gilmore and that JC could also be leavuing and spent that money on a cornerback and an OL.

Merloney was still talking when I got home and the final thing I heard him say was that Bill has to have a draft in 2022 equally as good as 2021 or the rebuild will be pushed into 2025 or 26. Before I shut off the car he said, "I've accepted that this team will not be competitive this year and quite possibly next year. But I can't see the Krafts just standing by and not getting involved if it continues into 2025."

Yes it's a rebuild.
Yes, this Merloney Balony is bullshit.
Yes we need a good draft. We always need a good draft!
Yes, Kraft may need another glass or 2 this year.....

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lou Merloney is a talking head.
Bill Belichick is...The winningest HC in Super Bowl history.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB said last year that he mortgaged the future in 2014 to win 1 more SB with TB. It worked and he continued to do so until he couldn't anymore and got two more trophies.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, it appears that the Patriots will be $80M under the cap in 2023. The Cap is expected to jump from $208M to $230M next year which will give Bill $110M to use in free agency. Some teams will have more.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou Merloney is a talking head.
Bill Belichick is...The winningest HC in Super Bowl history.
Consider this: BB only coached a few years without the salary cap. Don Shula, and George Halas are the only ones ahead of him in NFL wins and Halas never contended with the cap and Shula only did for two years.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider this: BB only coached a few years without the salary cap. Don Shula, and George Halas are the only ones ahead of him in NFL wins and Halas never contended with the cap and Shula only did for two years.
1994 cap was 34 mil and aikman signed record contract for 8 yrs for 50 mil Times have changed:suds:

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Pats will be somewhat better this year than they were in 2021. The question is how much the rest of the AFC has improved. Some teams may pass the Pats in on the field talent. A lot will depend on how well BB does in the draft. Of course on the field talent is not the only measure of a playoff team. All that being said, I think 2023 is the year the Pats can take a big step forward.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the name of this thread great. Do we need to prepare for mediocrity?

Shouldn't we prepare for anything and everything?

Disappointment and anger come from having expectations that cannot be achieved. I've been tempering my expectations since the season ended knowing the position that the Patriots were in and that historically, BB never makes a huge splash when he jumps into the pool.

I continue to have a gut feeling that something is going to happen within the next week or two now that the frenzy is quieting. I expect to see several contracts renegotiated and several players moved or cut in order for BB to sign two or three veterans that will cement the core of this team on both sides. I might be totally wrong but if it doesn't happen, I will be disappointed and angry.

Check back. I previously stated that I believed Agholor, Mason and Harry would be gone. Moving Mason for a 5th round pick was disappointing, especially moving him to a team like the Bucs. I was expecting him to go to the Bears or Vikings or even the Cowboys.

None the less, I'm preparing myself for a 7-10 season. If they do better, then I'll be ecstatic. If they do worse, I won't be crushed.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the title is redundant. If the Pats play in the NFL it should be assumed we need to be prepared for mediocrity.

The strict rules around the salary cap makes it almost impossible to build a team and keep it together as soon as the collection gets good.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shouldn't we prepare for anything and everything?

Disappointment and anger come from having expectations that cannot be achieved. I've been tempering my expectations since the season ended knowing the position that the Patriots were in and that historically, BB never makes a huge splash when he jumps into the pool.

I continue to have a gut feeling that something is going to happen within the next week or two now that the frenzy is quieting. I expect to see several contracts renegotiated and several players moved or cut in order for BB to sign two or three veterans that will cement the core of this team on both sides. I might be totally wrong but if it doesn't happen, I will be disappointed and angry.

Check back. I previously stated that I believed Agholor, Mason and Harry would be gone. Moving Mason for a 5th round pick was disappointing, especially moving him to a team like the Bucs. I was expecting him to go to the Bears or Vikings or even the Cowboys.

None the less, I'm preparing myself for a 7-10 season. If they do better, then I'll be ecstatic. If they do worse, I won't be crushed.
I've been tempering my expectations ever since the Pats beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. The St Louis rams.

I've been celebrating that win ever since as well!

After that...
200.gif

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know next year will be better as far as cap space is concerned. Right now we are sitting around 78 million. But there are 12 teams with 60 million plus also. The Bears will have 135 million. Granted... they only have 25 guys on their roster. But its still gonna be a overpay/bidding war for any quality player.