• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do we give KC the Luck deal?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the deal: 6/29/2016: Signed a six-year, $139.125 million contract. The deal contains $87 million guaranteed, including a $32 million signing bonus. 2016: $12 million, 2017: $7 million (+ $6 million roster bonus), 2018: $12 million (+ $6 million roster bonus), 2019: $9.125 million (+ $12 million roster bonus), 2020: $11 million (+ $11 million roster bonus), 2021: $11 million (+ $10 million roster bonus), 2022: Free Agent

I would like to hear all opinions on this matter b/c I believe that KC's agent is going to ask for this. A simple yes or no with an explanation would do. No tangents please.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes

Luck's deal is not a team friendly one until year 4. The dead cap hit if they moved on from him would be pretty severe until then. However Kirk is only 28, so short of an injury he should be able to play at a high rate at 32 or 33. his cap hit by year is 18.4m, 19.4m, 24.4m, 27.4m, 28.4m, 21m. Three years from now I don't see spending $25m on your QB as being that detrimental.

He obviously does well in this system. Pay him while saving some room this year and next to get one legit #2 WR, hope Doctson is ready to roll next year with no more issues, and work to get Reed heathy and he should be fine. Spend draft picks on OL and a single RB. Sorry for the tangent at the end.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes

Luck's deal is not a team friendly one until year 4. The dead cap hit if they moved on from him would be pretty severe until then. However Kirk is only 28, so short of an injury he should be able to play at a high rate at 32 or 33. his cap hit by year is 18.4m, 19.4m, 24.4m, 27.4m, 28.4m, 21m. Three years from now I don't see spending $25m on your QB as being that detrimental.

He obviously does well in this system. Pay him while saving some room this year and next to get one legit #2 WR, hope Doctson is ready to roll next year with no more issues, and work to get Reed heathy and he should be fine. Spend draft picks on OL and a single RB. Sorry for the tangent at the end.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thats what it takes, yes. But I think Kirk comes in a shade less than Luck. And as Ford mentioned, in three years I dont think having a QB count $25M against the cap will be seen as an OMG moment unless said named QB is either Injury prone, or not performing.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thats what it takes, yes. But I think Kirk comes in a shade less than Luck. And as Ford mentioned, in three years I dont think having a QB count $25M against the cap will be seen as an OMG moment unless said named QB is either Injury prone, or not performing.

If KC won Sundays game then I think his ask would be the Luck contract. Now I think SM is reconsidering the long term deal and might just do the franchise tag which hurts this team on getting FA this year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have plenty of cap space as been shown numerous times dean i dont think he gets the luck deal but i would pay him

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KC won Sundays game then I think his ask would be the Luck contract. Now I think SM is reconsidering the long term deal and might just do the franchise tag which hurts this team on getting FA this year.

OK - so let's say that the Redskins don't tag or extend Cousins. Let's say that this allows them to sign some FAs on both sides who help the team in the process. However - let's say that this also means having a so-so QB & no real hope of making a major run for a few years. Are you good with that? That is a likely scenario so fans advocating this should be willing to accept that outcome.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - so let's say that the Redskins don't tag or extend Cousins. Let's say that this allows them to sign some FAs on both sides who help the team in the process. However - let's say that this also means having a so-so QB & no real hope of making a major run for a few years. Are you good with that? That is a likely scenario so fans advocating this should be willing to accept that outcome.

Any average QB can be made a good Qb with a good oline ,running game, and WR's/Te's. Add in a average defense and you can win games. Its been proven that you don't need a stud QB to succeed in the league. Our bad defense this year has won games for us. So if they let KC walk its not the end of the world.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington Redskins Should Sign Kirk Cousins Instead Of Tagging Him Again

According to Overthecap, a Luck deal would call for cap numbers of $18.4M and $19.4M in the first two years, which are lower than the franchise tag Kirk had this year. The cap percentages for that deal are also very manageable as they are also less than what the cap percentages taken up by Kirk tag this year. In Year 3, we can, if necessary, get rid of Kirk with a cap savings.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any average QB can be made a good Qb with a good oline ,running game, and WR's/Te's. Add in a average defense and you can win games. Its been proven that you don't need a stud QB to succeed in the league. Our bad defense this year has won games for us. So if they let KC walk its not the end of the world.[/QUOTE

it will take time just to get an avg defense . also if KC walks garcon and jax wont be far behind

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If KC walk the Redskins will be able to meet both asking prices.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any average QB can be made a good Qb with a good oline ,running game, and WR's/Te's. Add in a average defense and you can win games. Its been proven that you don't need a stud QB to succeed in the league. Our bad defense this year has won games for us. So if they let KC walk its not the end of the world.

And you know what? An average QB is pretty hard to find as well. Tell me the last time in NFL history that a team let a QB walk with more than 9000 yards passing, 54 TDs / 23 INTs in the prior two seasons?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you know what? An average QB is pretty hard to find as well. Tell me the last time in NFL history that a team let a QB walk with more than 9000 yards passing, 54 TDs / 23 INTs in the prior two seasons?

I see your point but he is not winning big games and consistently beating good opponents. Plus some of his numbers are b/c of his supporting cast. Everyone is leaving those guys out of the equation.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point but he is not winning big games and consistently beating good opponents. Plus some of his numbers are b/c of his supporting cast. Everyone is leaving those guys out of the equation.

And is Andrew Luck doing the same? And what supporting cast does he have? Yes, he's got some great WRs. But they don't mean a whole lot when you can't run the ball and when you've got to cover for gaping lapses in the defense. There's no way you're convince me and others here that passing for more than 9,000 yards and 54 TDs / 23 INTs over the past two seasons doesn't warrant that type of contract or close to it.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And is Andrew Luck doing the same? And what supporting cast does he have? Yes, he's got some great WRs. But they don't mean a whole lot when you can't run the ball and when you've got to cover for gaping lapses in the defense. There's no way you're convince me and others here that passing for more than 9,000 yards and 54 TDs / 23 INTs over the past two seasons doesn't warrant that type of contract or close to it.

Luck has won big games and was in the playoffs more than once. If you put Luck on our team we are in the playoffs. That is the difference. What good are the stats when your own head coach says that KC has to work on reading coverage's and make better decisions.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck has won big games and was in the playoffs more than once. If you put Luck on our team we are in the playoffs. That is the difference. What good are the stats when your own head coach says that KC has to work on reading coverage's and make better decisions.

Luck took over a pretty good team left behind by Peyton. He looked like a world beater and then witnessed a decline. I'd say that his initial success was a bit inflated, but his regression wasn't his fault at all because he had a GM almost as bad a Vinny who simply refused to draft o-line.

I'd agree that Luck is better than Kirk right now. But Kirk is still developing whereas Luck has had more than starts than him. And Kirk certainly has room to improve. I look on that as a plus since he can actually get better than what we've already seen of him. If you want to talk improvement, Luck can do that too with things like his turnovers.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This a the real question, do we think he can be a qb that wins big games and wins playoff games? And if not, are we ok with doing a qb search that could take another 3-5 years and still end up with someone worse than Kirk?

My answer is yes. I'm ok with giving him the luck deal because a qb search could take as long as the luck deal would last.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This a the real question, do we think he can be a qb that wins big games and wins playoff games? And if not, are we ok with doing a qb search that could take another 3-5 years and still end up with someone worse than Kirk?

My answer is yes. I'm ok with giving him the luck deal because a qb search could take as long as the luck deal would last.

You're also assuming that a QB search would only take 3-5 years. How long has it been since we had our last franchise QB (Joey T)? Note: he got injured back in 1985.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck took over a pretty good team left behind by Peyton. He looked like a world beater and then witnessed a decline. I'd say that his initial success was a bit inflated, but his regression wasn't his fault at all because he had a GM almost as bad a Vinny who simply refused to draft o-line.

I'd agree that Luck is better than Kirk right now. But Kirk is still developing whereas Luck has had more than starts than him. And Kirk certainly has room to improve. I look on that as a plus since he can actually get better than what we've already seen of him. If you want to talk improvement, Luck can do that too with things like his turnovers.

But Luck deserved his contract he got. KC doesn't deserve a Luck contract but in your opinion we have to pay it and hope he becomes better.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the supporting cast matters. Doesn't Dak benefit from the Dallas supporting cast? Would Dak have this success playing for the Rams? NO!!