• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference in QB eras

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read, bravo!!!!
But....

Here is the big differerence...

....those kinds of athletes didn't exist once upon a time. Over 230 under 4,40.

and there you go again.. posting something that has zero to do with QBs or the demands of the position, the latter being much the same as they've always been.

I bet many of those old-timer QBs could beat Tom Brady in a footrace.. it means absolutely nothing.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just an example of how different things are now compared to then.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but the fact that he consistently fell for the opponent attacking them head on then sending another force to attack from behind is pretty funny

The Brithish flanked his forces causing Washington to retreat but don't recall attacks from behind much less consistently.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your car needs some work, you can take it to Smitty's that just opened up, Smitty a nice kid around 26ish. Or ya can take it to Roy's, Roy has been in town for over 30;s years, so where ya going?

Got into football around 59ish, same with music, literature, track, so I have a ton of experience. I talked about the Seahawks resigning Carson....bingo! I talked about using two cops on old ladies battling over a mask....bingo!
already said you're a legend in his own mind. You have nothing to prove to me Chuckles.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Brithish flanked his forces causing Washington to retreat but don't recall attacks from behind much less consistently.
When I said consistently I wasn’t referring to the use of the tactics by the British, but that Washington fell for it.

but alas this is probably not the place for this discussion lol

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
already said you're a legend in his own mind. You have nothing to prove to me Chuckles.

So by just going with what I have learned is a no no?

Who here can fill in the All Time 100m for cornerbacks? Talking 8 lanes,

Never have figured out.......you better agree with me or else,

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read, bravo!!!!

But....

Here is the big differerence...

....those kinds of athletes didn't exist once upon a time. Over 230 under 4,40.
Well, yes, those types of athletes DID exist at that time. As I pointed out the rules of the game were different. The rules and game play of the period dictate what the favored H/W/S of any given position will be. That should be common sense (but I don't really know you). That's why you see some Qbs these days that are 5'10" (Brees, Wilson, Murray, Mayfield, etc.), but you don't see them much at all prior to the 90's. That speaks volumes.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just an example of how different things are now compared to then.

Dude, nobody is arguing that things are not different now than they were then.

But some things are more different than others and the physical demands on a QB are one of the things that is not all that different.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys used to get fucking demolished back in the day. They used to talk about taking the free shot at the qb after he got the ball out or the 1 or 2 step rule or whatever it was. The 80's had to be the most brutal era to play that position. It seemed like any time a qb got momentum in their career they had a devastating, career altering injury.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yes, those types of athletes DID exist at that time. As I pointed out the rules of the game were different. The rules and game play of the period dictate what the favored H/W/S of any given position will be. That should be common sense (but I don't really know you). That's why you see some Qbs these days that are 5'10" (Brees, Wilson, Murray, Mayfield, etc.), but you don't see them much at all prior to the 90's. That speaks volumes.

A 235 pound athlete running a 4,33 40 did not exist back in the days of Otto Graham much less Sammy Baugh. There has already been short QB's, hell, Eddie LeBaron 5-7.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, nobody is arguing that things are not different now than they were then.

But some things are more different than others and the physical demands on a QB are one of the things that is not all that different.

If you can't see the difference between the pass rushers today vs way back when, how?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't see the difference between the pass rushers today vs way back when, how?

I do. I also see the difference between the offensive linemen today vs way back when. They cancel each other out.

Add to that the OL gets to hold now and they didn't way back when.
Add to that the DL is prohibited from hitting the QB in several ways that were not prohibited way back when.
Add to that if a D lineman does flush the QB , he can just throw the ball away rather than getting tackled and they could not do that way back when.

All of that ^ adds up to it being easier from a physical standpoint rather than more difficult for a QB today rather than way back when.

Get it now?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 235 pound athlete running a 4,33 40 did not exist back in the days of Otto Graham much less Sammy Baugh. There has already been short QB's, hell, Eddie LeBaron 5-7.
Hmmm, It's like I said something like that....something like "setting aside the difference in nutrition, supplements, etc." Hmmm....

Even taking all that as even, if you think someone who was 6'4 and 200+ would've played WR, you and I have a very different idea of what football was like back then.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. I also see the difference between the offensive linemen today vs way back when. They cancel each other out.

Add to that the DL is prohibited from hitting the QB in several ways that were not prohibited way back when.
Add to that if a D lineman does flush the QB , he can just throw the ball away rather than getting tackled and they could not do that way back when.

All of that ^ adds up to it being easier from a physical standpoint rather than more difficult for a QB today rather than way back when.

Get it now?
busch beer no GIF by Busch

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DK Metcalfe over 230, can cook a 4.33, so you are telling me that back in the days of Otto Graham 46-55 there were athletes in the NFL over 230 with 4,33 40 jets, who?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised he hasn't raised how much more complicated defenses are these days. My predicate for these comparisons is an assumption that the old-timer we're comparing grew up current day and is accustomed to those developments.

Clearly if we took 1940 Sammy Baugh or 1950 Otto Graham and put him behind center today he'd be baffled by what's going on on defense. I'm talking strictly physical abilities.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get it now?

A 16 game season is easier than a 12, really?
Playing on hard ass fake grass is easier on the body than playing on grass, really?
Facing 300 pound monsters is easier than facing 240, really?
Facing edge rushers running 4,7 is easier than facing 5 flat guys?
Being hit by a cat who can bench 400 is easier than being hit by a guy who can't, really?

Getting it now?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAAHH OMG YOU ARE SO FUNNY, HOW DO YOU DO IT?!?!??!?!?!
That's his ammo to make himself feel better, he called me little fella in one post and I would croak this fuck in his best day, in his best years in under 30 sec " I'm 6'3 275 lbs and could outrun you"

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised he hasn't raised how much more complicated defenses are these days. My predicate for these comparisons is an assumption that the old-timer we're comparing grew up current day and is accustomed to those developments.

Clearly if we took 1940 Sammy Baugh or 1950 Otto Graham and put him behind center today he'd be baffled by what's going on on defense. I'm talking strictly physical abilities.

That was already mentioned, where were you?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize to all on this thread that got caught in his web of silliness.
See the source image