• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference in QB eras

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are telling me QB's playing 16 game seasons are taking less punishment than those playing 12, ha!!!!! You ever had a 300 pounder drill you into cement which fake fields are?

Dude, yes a QB is facing a defense, you have to be told this?

I'd much rather be tackled by a 300 pounder under the current rules where they are so heavily restricted regarding how they're allowed to tackle me, than by a 240 pounder under the old rules where all bets were off. This isn't a close call.

QBs took much more punishment in the old days, which is why they changed the rules.

Are you sure that you even watch football?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more time

Who was over 235 pounds running a sub 4,35 in the days of Otto Graham, give me a name.
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather be tackled by a 300 pounder under the current rules where they are so heavily restricted regarding how they're allowed to tackle me, than by a 240 pounder under the old rules where all bets were off. This isn't a close call.

QBs took much more punishment in the old days, which is why they changed the rules.

Tom Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Favre and Elway the most banged around QB's in history. No real old timers on the list.

So where do you put Graham if he played today? Better than...?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I know, like I said thode kinds of athletes didn't exist in the days of Graham/Baugh.
Of course not. Like I said, the nutrition and training and rules of the day made sure of that.

Naturally, that has nothing to do with the whole QB/passing discussion. You could have 2 Wrs that run a 4.2, but under bump n run era rules...ya know

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Like I said, the nutrition and training and rules of the day made sure of that.

Naturally, that has nothing to do with the whole QB/passing discussion. You could have 2 Wrs that run a 4.2, but under bump n run era rules...ya know

Don Hutson blew by everyone in the bump n run era as did Bob Hayes, as did Cliff Branch.

Could have sworn you said that yes there were big fast guys back in the day.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Hutson blew by everyone in the bump n run era as did Bob Hayes, as did Cliff Branch.

Could have sworn you said that yes there were big fast guys back in the day.
So on the one hand you want to claim that there weren't big/fast guys back then, but in response you say that there were big/fast guys back then. Are you sure you understand your own point?

Even pretending that you do, there is a reason that receivers--even big/fast receivers--didn't have stats like we see today. As I posted earlier, it has something to do with the night/day difference in league rules that today grossly favor offense, passing, and QBs.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on the one hand you want to claim that there weren't big/fast guys back then, but in response you say that there were big/fast guys back then. Are you sure you understand your own point?

Even pretending that you do, there is a reason that receivers--even big/fast receivers--didn't have stats like we see today. As I posted earlier, it has something to do with the night/day difference in league rules that today grossly favor offense, passing, and QBs.

Where did I say those guy were big? You mentioned 4,2 guys, well those three were the fastest in the NFL in their day, not talking size, ok?

Yes we all know about the rules, so...????

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like he's chasing his tail.

Attachments

• tail.gif
    tail.gif
    687.8 KB · Views: 2

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say those guy were big? You mentioned 4,2 guys, well those three were the fastest in the NFL in their day, not talking size, ok?

Yes we all know about the rules, so...????
And that is where your views of today don't take into account the size of players for their own era. Since your view of this says "yea, we know about the rules of today, so?", that perfectly explains why your position on this issue is flawed.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is where your views of today don't take into account the size of players for their own era. Since your view of this says "yea, we know about the rules of today, so?", that perfectly explains why your position on this issue is flawed.

No not really, no matter what the rules the game was played by smaller, slower, weaker athletes back then than it is today. Simply the facts of life,

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No not really, no matter what the rules the game was played by smaller, slower, weaker athletes back then than it is today. Simply the facts of life,
Proving my point. Thank you.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proving my point. Thank you.

So we have agreed all along, cool!

I posted this once, got ignored....

Keith Strickland, Project Manager (2014-present)

I love these questions, because they are fascinating to think about. However, in almost every case, players that graced the game pre-1990’s could not even compete in today’s game. Football has evolved so much from the era of Otto Graham, that I think if he stepped on the field today; he would sh*t his pants. And I’m not just talking about the size, speed and athleticism of players today, I’m talking about the playbooks, formations, play calling, stunts, etc. In addition to the the X’s and O’s, even the pace of the game is 10 times faster than back then. So to reiterate, in my interpretation of the question, he would absolutely not be a good QB in today’s game.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have agreed all along, cool!
No. I have disagreed with you from the get go, hence my first couple of info-filled posts. the fact that you think I agreed with you says that you either don't understand your own point or else you're just trolling. Either way, the info is in front of you. You may make of it whatever you will, as one can lead a horse to water, but if the horse dies of thirst, it's neither the fault of the leader nor the water; it's the horse's own stupidity.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I have disagreed with you from the get go, hence my first couple of info-filled posts. the fact that you think I agreed with you says that you either don't understand your own point or else you're just trolling. Either way, the info is in front of you. You may make of it whatever you will, as one can lead a horse to water, but if the horse dies of thirst, it's neither the fault of the leader nor the water; it's the horse's own stupidity.

Stupidity is thinking all football fans aren't familiar with how the game has changed over the years. Thinking you need to explain it to a guy who has seen more football than you have, hahaha!!!!!

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this being ignored?

Keith Strickland, Project Manager (2014-present)

I love these questions, because they are fascinating to think about. However, in almost every case, players that graced the game pre-1990’s could not even compete in today’s game. Football has evolved so much from the era of Otto Graham, that I think if he stepped on the field today; he would sh*t his pants. And I’m not just talking about the size, speed and athleticism of players today, I’m talking about the playbooks, formations, play calling, stunts, etc. In addition to the the X’s and O’s, even the pace of the game is 10 times faster than back then. So to reiterate, in my interpretation of the question, he would absolutely not be a good QB in today’s game.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Favre and Elway the most banged around QB's in history. No real old timers on the list.

What list? The one in your head? You just posted 5 names. How do you figure they're the most banged around QB's in history?

So where do you put Graham if he played today? Better than...?

No clue. My objection was to your dismissal of him and stating that Trubisky is far better. I'd say he'd rank in top half at least.. top 15.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there is Sammy Baugh at TCU all 182 pounds of him. He plays QB and punts.

So how would he do just as he was in his era, well?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupidity is thinking all football fans aren't familiar with how the game has changed over the years. Thinking you need to explain it to a guy who has seen more football than you have, hahaha!!!!!
Um, ok. Your posts in this thread made it look like you didn't understand. Your post here confirms it.