• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference in QB eras

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there is Sammy Baugh at TCU all 182 pounds of him. He plays QB and punts.

So how would he do just as he was in his era, well?
He wouldn't be playing QB in this era, just as someone 6'4, 240 wouldn't be playing WR. That's just one of the things you keep missing in this discussion. @Wazmankg

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What list? The one in your head? You just posted 5 names. How do you figure they're the most banged around QB's in history?

No clue. My objection was to your dismissal of him and stating that Trubisky is far better. I'd say he'd rank in top half at least.. top 15.

Check it out....

Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Patrick Mahomes
Tom Brady
DeShawn Watson
Matt Ryan
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
Kirk Cousins
Dak Prescott
Matthew Stafford
Derek Carr
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray
Otto Graham

Right?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this being ignored?

Keith Strickland, Project Manager (2014-present)

I love these questions, because they are fascinating to think about. However, in almost every case, players that graced the game pre-1990’s could not even compete in today’s game. Football has evolved so much from the era of Otto Graham, that I think if he stepped on the field today; he would sh*t his pants. And I’m not just talking about the size, speed and athleticism of players today, I’m talking about the playbooks, formations, play calling, stunts, etc. In addition to the the X’s and O’s, even the pace of the game is 10 times faster than back then. So to reiterate, in my interpretation of the question, he would absolutely not be a good QB in today’s game.

Because who the hell is Keith Strickland and why should I give his opinion any credibility?

But he makes a point about the playbook and I've already stated somewhere here that my baseline assumption for comparison is that the old-timers would be familiar with today's game. My defense of these 2 old timers is based purely upon their ability at QB. Obviously they'd be baffled by defenses until they got up to speed.

They'd get used to the speed of the game. They were both faster than several guys playing QB today.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because who the hell is Keith Strickland and why should I give his opinion any credibility?

But he makes a point about the playbook and I've already stated somewhere here that my baseline assumption for comparison is that the old-timers would be familiar with today's game. My defense of these 2 old timer is based purely upon their ability at QB. Obviously they'd be baffled by defenses until they got up to speed.

They'd get used to the speed of the game. They were both faster than several guys playing QB today.

Obivously showing you what others think about this, I have more disagreeing with you, wanna see um?

So you really think a QB at 182 pounds could last a 16 game NFL season, really?

So is Otto better than.....Derek Carr?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at 182 pounds where would he play, just a punter?

Ah....6'4 240 not a WR?

Dude, you ramble on about stuff we all are well aware of, yes the game has evolved, really?
Yes, the game has evolved. You want to pretend that players from today are SO much better than the players from the old days without taking into account how/why the game evolved to allow such players to exist/produce today in the first place. One Can't have it both ways if you're going to be honest, but that's up to you.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check it out....

Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Patrick Mahomes
Tom Brady
DeShawn Watson
Matt Ryan
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
Kirk Cousins
Dak Prescott
Matthew Stafford
Derek Carr
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray
Otto Graham

Right?

I've been fairly cordial to you so far in this thread. But if you're going to pretend that you don't know that they didn't keep stats on sacks in the old days I may have to reconsider.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been fairly cordial to you so far in this thread. But if you're going to pretend that you don't know that they didn't keep stats on sacks in the old days I may have to reconsider.

I actually mentioned that somewhere back there.

So you actually think guys playing in 12 game seasons had more sacks than guys playing in 16, really? Who were the stud pass rushers in the days of Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham? Deacon Jones gets props despite the fact no stats kept.

Why do you struggle so badly with this? Totally different game today, you really don;t see that?

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baugh would play QB of course.

Tell that to him....

Niner Outlaw said:
He wouldn't be playing QB in this era, just as someone 6'4, 240 wouldn't be playing WR. That's just one of the things you keep missing in this discussion. @Wazmankg

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually mentioned that somewhere back there.

So you actually think guys playing in 12 game seasons had more sacks than guys playing in 16, really? Who were the stud pass rushers in the days of Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham? Deacon Jones gets props despite the fact no stats kept.

Why do you struggle so badly with this? Totally different game today, you really don;t see that?

Why did they change so many rules regarding hitting QBs?

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the game has evolved. You want to pretend that players from today are SO much better than the players from the old days without taking into account how/why the game evolved to allow such players to exist/produce today in the first place. One Can't have it both ways if you're going to be honest, but that's up to you.

What is it about.....bigger, stronger, faster.....aren't you getting? The 2020 Alabama team would destroy the 60's Packers.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did they change so many rules regarding hitting QBs?

Wow!!!

Dude, not sure how to do this, hmmm? Ah.......I am talking about back in the days of Baugh and Otto....ok? Back then they played 12 game seasons....ok? The defense were midgets compared to these guys today,,,,ok?

Wow!!!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obivously showing you what others think about this, I have more disagreeing with you, wanna see um?

So you really think a QB at 182 pounds could last a 16 game NFL season, really?

So is Otto better than.....Derek Carr?

Of course. They thought he was too skinny in back then too. They were wrong. The man was 6'2".. plenty tall enough.

He was also an all-pro safety playing with no helmet back then.

But you don't think that he would be tough enough to withstand the physical rigors of QB in today's "protect the QB at all costs" NFL?

Lol.. you're funny dude. Keep em coming.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bill hader popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone not get this stuff? The Frig was a freak in 1985 at 300 pounds now high school teams average 300 pounds on that o line, try....311.

TOTALLY...different kind of athletes out there now than way back when. There is no.......oh hell yes that little guy from the 30;s could......hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow!!!

Dude, not sure how to do this, hmmm? Ah.......I am talking about back in the days of Baugh and Otto....ok? Back then they played 12 game seasons....ok? The defense were midgets compared to these guys today,,,,ok?

Wow!!!

If you don't know why they changed so many rules regarding hitting QBs, just say so. I can tell you. Just ask.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. They thought he was too skinny in back then too. They were wrong. The man was 6'2".. plenty tall enough.

He was also an all-pro safety playing with no helmet back then.

But you don't think that he would be tough enough to withstand the physical rigors of QB in today's "protect the QB at all costs" NFL?

Lol.. you're funny dude. Keep em coming.

So he could play today?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is it about.....bigger, stronger, faster.....aren't you getting? The 2020 Alabama team would destroy the 60's Packers.
Your make-believe world is so cute. It speaks volumes that you've moved from Qbs, to WRs, to now entire teams. Again, proving my point.