• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference in QB eras

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya can't brag on back in the day athletes then .....they would be bigger, faster, stronger.....OBVIOUSLY!!!! But that really isn't what is being talked about.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you aren't really talking about Baugh and Otto as they actually were? I thought that was what this was about,, it's not? You are making them into a modern version?

As the were physically was perfectly adequate for the physical challenges of playing NFL QB today. QBs don't win physical battles and are not expected to. But QBs took much more physical abuse back then than they do today, which is why they changed the rules to protect them.

Can't hit 'em late, can't hit 'em high, can't hit 'em low, can't hit 'em too hard, can't land on them when you do tackle them.. hell, Graham & Baugh would think that they were playing touch football. The notion that the physical demands of playing QB in today's NFL would be too tough for them is laughable.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost forgot.. when they are flushed by a DL-man looking to do them harm, they can just throw the ball away without penalty to avoid getting tackled... oh, and sliding.. when they do take off and run, they just slide instead of getting tackled. In the old days they'd get crushed in both circumstances.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost forgot.. when they are flushed by a DL-man looking to do them harm, they can just throw the ball away without penalty to avoid getting tackled... oh, and sliding.. when they do take off and run, they just slide instead of getting tackled. In the old days they'd get crushed in both circumstances.

Dude, did you ever see......the old days? No offense but you really aren't getting this.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, did you ever see......the old days? No offense but you really aren't getting this.

I never saw Graham or Baugh play and neither have you. I've been a fan and observer since the early/mid 60s.

I think that you are the one who isn't getting it by not addressing the fact that the physical demands of the sport do not apply to the position of QB anywhere near the extent they do at literally every other position.

But Graham & Baugh were both tremendous athletes and would be considered mobile QBs today on par with at minimum an Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees, though both Otto & Sammy probably had better wheels than either of those guys.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the one posting pictures of the three stooges and talking about a strangers sisters, now am I? Dude, elevate your game ok slick?
Sister's ass is just a general saying like fuggetttabouttit . The 3 Stooges have as much relevance here as your track times. Track is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I'll watch you and hopefully my game will be elevated one day, baby steps like a 4min /40

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw Graham or Baugh play and neither have you. I've been a fan and observer since the early/mid 60s.

I think that you are the one who isn't getting it by not addressing the fact that the physical demands of the sport do not apply to the position of QB anywhere near the extent they do at literally every other position.

But Graham & Baugh were both tremendous athletes and would be considered mobile QBs today on par with at minimum an Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees, though both Otto & Sammy probably had better wheels than either of those guys.

Drew Brees is not a mobile QB

Anyway....

Graham played in 12 game seasons, he rarely had a 60 or better completion %, his QB rating was so so. The thing about him is he was so far superior to the other QB;s in his era as was Baugh in his, hell, give me the name of another QB in the days of Sammy Baugh, yep, ya can't (save the Google) Who was Grahams rival?

What these guys did in their era was amazing, fantastic, awesome, but........we leave it there. There is noway they are doing what they did vs the defenses that came later.

You talked about Baugh being a great athlete, RGIII was a fantastic athlete, he could have played cornerback, returned kicks, WR. He was a stud hurdler while at Baylor, so what happened?

If we have to......he'd be bigger and......then forget about this, nobody is talking about if born today, this is about who they actualy were back in the day.

Dude, high school teams today would beat up on college teams from the past, NCAA teams destroying once upon a time NFL teams, that is simply how it is....................ok?

Last edited:

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sister's ass is just a general saying like fuggetttabouttit . The 3 Stooges have as much relevance here as your track times. Track is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I'll watch you and hopefully my game will be elevated one day, baby steps like a 4min /40

I can see why ya get off on the three stooges, not really how ya wanna go amigo and then talk intellect, got it?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees is not a mobile QB

He was mobile enough for a HOF career... so is Rodgers.

Anyway....

Graham played in 12 game seasons, he rarely had a 60 or better completion %, his QB rating was so so.

Right.. that's how long the season was. But they threw downfield more often back then. Look at avg yards per completion career.. they're all old timers because when they threw, they threw downfield.

WC offense and the dink & dunk passing game changed everything. The passing game has changed because the rules have changed to make passing easier. DBs could mug receivers until the ball was in the air back then. OLmen get to hold now.

Do you think that completion % has gone up because QBs are more accurate passers? On average they may be, but no. The rules changed so the types of passes they throw has changed to mostly short, high percentage stuff. Graham & Baugh would probably complete 70% of their passes today. Hell Baugh did that one year back then.

The thing about him is he was so far superior to the other QB;s in hid era as was Baugh in his, hell, give me the name of another QB in the days of Sammy Baugh, yep, ya can't (save the Google) Who was Grahams rival?

Why? What difference does that make?

What these guys did in their era was amazing, fantastic, awesome, but........we leave it there. There is noway they are doing what they did vs the defenses that game later.

You talked about Baugh being a great athlete, RGIII was a fantastic athlete, he could have played cornerback, returned kicks, WR. He was a stud hurdler while at Baylor, so what happened?

I raised Baugh's (and Graham's) athleticism because you seemed to be stuck on asserting that they were not tough or athletic enough. The clearly were, which their all-around athletic success proves. Turns out RG3 wasn't very good at QB. It happens. Why you raise RG3 is a mystery.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was mobile enough for a HOF career... so is Rodgers.

Right.. that's how long the season was. But they threw downfield more often back then. Look at avg yards per completion career.. they're all old timers because when they threw, they threw downfield.

WC offense and the dink & dunk passing game changed everything. The passing game has changed because the rules have changed to make passing easier. DBs could mug receivers until the ball was in the air back then. OLmen get to hold now.

Do you think that completion % has gone up because QBs are more accurate passers? On average they may be, but no. The rules changed so the types of passes they throw has changed to mostly short, high percentage stuff. Graham & Baugh would probably complete 70% of their passes today. Hell Baugh did that one year back then.

Why? What difference does that make?

I raised Baugh's (and Graham's) athleticism because you seemed to be stuck on asserting that they were not tough or athletic enough. The clearly were, which their all-around athletic success proves. Turns out RG3 wasn't very good at QB. It happens. Why you raise RG3 is a mystery.

Is Tom Brady mobile, did he have a HOF career?

Grahams two best receivers were Dante Levelli and Mac Speedie both averaged less than 17 yards a receptions. After they retired here comes Paul Warfield to the Browns, try.....19.2.

I could go on and one destroying all that silliness you are bringing.

So you bring up basketball for Graham, Baugh a great defender, but don't talk how RGIII being a tremendous athlete......huh????

Dude, what about.......little, slow, weaker.....aren't you getting? There ain;t noway in hell those guys are doing anything other than getting hurt today.

My God guy give it up.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy who gets it......

Keith Strickland, Project Manager (2014-present)

I love these questions, because they are fascinating to think about. However, in almost every case, players that graced the game pre-1990’s could not even compete in today’s game. Football has evolved so much from the era of Otto Graham, that I think if he stepped on the field today; he would sh*t his pants. And I’m not just talking about the size, speed and athleticism of players today, I’m talking about the playbooks, formations, play calling, stunts, etc. In addition to the the X’s and O’s, even the pace of the game is 10 times faster than back then. So to reiterate, in my interpretation of the question, he would absolutely not be a good QB in today’s game.

That is pretty much the understanding if you really understand football. We praise the old timers but don;t get silly with it.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the great Marion Motley, one of the true greats in the sport.

Hear the guy say.....40/50 pounds bigger, BOOM!!!! right there it is. Why he wouldn't be bull dozing today like we see in the video. The guy had no quicks, it was more like rugby. Who thinks this legend could play today just as he was back then?

Otto Grahams fullback.

An all timer for sure, but.....he ain;t running over these guys today, or out running them.

Last edited:

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first football hero....

The reason he never had a 1000 yard season was he shared carries with stud fullback Rick Casares.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, George Washington is overrated because he doesn't know about modern military tactics. Albert Einstein's inability to communicate on the internet probably means that he would struggle in today's world.