• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference in QB eras

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Diet, supplements & weight training. .They pack on weight and muscle these days unlike back then

Wow is right. What the hell was all of this supposed to be? You think you can feed a QBs weight into a formula and come up with something meaningful? lol

What?????????? Dude, ah....yes!!!!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all ties together, you don't see that?

Otto never faced anything close to what he;d be facing today, while guys today would be facing slower smaller athletes.

QBs do not have to match up physically with anyone. Their job #1 is to accurately throw the football.

Today's bigger, stronger, faster DBs & DLs are canceled out by today's bigger, stronger faster, WRs & OLs.

It would not matter if Otto was facing better athletes at DB and DL. He wouldn't be going up against them. His WRs and OL would be and they are bigger, stronger, faster as well. His job would be to accurately deliver the football, just like it was in the 50s, and by all accounts he was one of the best in history at doing that.

In any case, both Graham and Baugh were tremendous all-around athletes so you have picked a particularly indefensible hill to die on.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are going to try and talk up Baugh and Graham it can't be.........well today they would......that can't be a factor. We are talking about who they actually were. Both were GREAT in their day but would struggle vs todays athletes, and our current QB's back in time would totally destroy those defenses, it would be comical.

Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and Bob Hayes could play today, but won't have the success they had back in the day.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?????????? Dude, ah....yes!!!!

Can you cite a source supporting the notion that, all else being equal, a QB or his potential is discounted because he doesn't weigh enough?

I've heard lack of height cited as a drawback, but never lack of weight as in a QB isn't heavy enough. Too fat ? sure. Not heavy enough? never. I'd love to read about it.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs do not have to match up physically with anyone. Their job #1 is to accurately throw the football.

Today's bigger, stronger, faster DBs & DLs are canceled out by today's bigger, stronger faster, WRs & OLs.

It would not matter if Otto was facing better athletes at DB and DL. He wouldn't be going up against them. His WRs and OL would be and they are bigger, stronger, faster as well. His job would be to accurately deliver the football, just like it was in the 50s, and by all accounts he was one of the best in history at doing that.

In any case, both Graham and Baugh were tremendous all-around athletes so you have picked a particularly indefensible hill to die on.

So wrong it's comical.

Baugh at 182 pounds is going to last a 16 game NFL season, hell no he isn't and neither is the 195 pound Otto Graham, you honestly have to be told this?

What is the knock on Smith that Bama WR, yep.......too frail. Don't look like some rookie and .....size doesn't matter, hell yes it does!!!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wrong it's comical.

Baugh at 182 pounds is going to last a 16 game NFL season, hell no he isn't and neither is the 195 pound Otto Graham, you honestly have to be told this?

What is the knock on Smith that Bama WR, yep.......too frail. Don't look like some rookie and .....size doesn't matter, hell yes it does!!!

Baugh was an All-pro DB as well as QB, but he's "too frail" to be an NFL QB in todays nfl.. too funny.

The fact that you insist on continuing to cite players in positions where size, speed an strength ARE critical determining factors, rather that QBs where they are secondary, is quite telling.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you cite a source supporting the notion that, all else being equal, a QB or his potential is discounted because he doesn't weigh enough?

I've heard lack of height cited as a drawback, but never lack of weight as in a QB isn't heavy enough. Too fat ? sure. Not heavy enough? never. I'd love to read about it.

Enjoy

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baugh was an All-pro DB as well as QB, but he's "too frail" to be an NFL QB in todays nfl.. too funny.

The fact that you insist on continuing to cite players in positions where size, speed an strength ARE critical determining factors, rather that QBs where they are secondary, is quite telling.

You can't be serious, ha!!!!

Not sure what is left, how can I get you to understand how things are, hmmmmm?

Do you know anything about the NFL in the days of Sammy Baugh? There are RB;s today bigger than the offensive linemen back then. All white teams with guys who couldn't break a 5flat 40. My God guy, ha!!!

Believe what ya want, ok?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be serious, ha!!!!

Not sure what is left, how can I get you to understand how things are, hmmmmm?

Do you know anything about the NFL in the days of Sammy Baugh? There are RB;s today bigger than the offensive linemen back then. All white teams with guys who couldn't break a 5flat 40. My God guy, ha!!!

Believe what ya want, ok?

What does the size and speed of the other players on the field have to do with a QB's ability to hit his receivers?

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. The game is much different in different eras and what has been expected of QB's has changed through those eras. Really the only way to compare QB's is within the same era

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the size and speed of the other players on the field have to do with a QB's ability to hit his receivers?

Have you watched a combine, you really haven;t noticed that everything is measured, hell....hand size. So you don't get why that is done, really?

Dude, if you can;t figure out things are so totally diffeent today than back in the day I did my best, ok?

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2020 Alabama team would have destroyed any of those Lombardi Packer teams, would have gotten ugly. Way too big and way too fast.

Trendarvis Friday runs a 10.00 100m as a high school kid, the kid USSR sprinter the 1972 Olympic 100n champion Valery Borzov won his gold in 10.14 and had a PR of 10.07. That is how things are, these NFLers today on a totally different level than once upon a time, so to brag about some dude in the 30;s hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse Owens was the fastest sprinter in the 30's, he ran a 10.2 100m, that is a 10.44 electric, but we will give him a 10.34 because of that dirt surface. Niner RB Rayeem Mostert was a 10.26ish guy at Purdue. And it goes on and on.....

Last edited:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched a combine, you really haven;t noticed that everything is measured, hell....hand size. So you don't get why that is done, really?

Dude, if you can;t figure out things are so totally diffeent today than back in the day I did my best, ok?

I understand that things were different, but I'm talking about QBs and you want to discuss everything under the sun EXCEPT what it takes to be a successful QB. Both of those guys would weigh more today anyway. Everyone does on average. That's due to diet and training.

I'm trying to have a nuanced discussion about QBs and you keep wanting to talk about how slow WRs were back then or how heavy DLmen are today, neither of which have any bearing on the discussion.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that things were different, but I'm talking about QBs and you want to discuss everything under the sun EXCEPT what it takes to be a successful QB. Both of those guys would weigh more today anyway. Everyone does on average. That's due to diet and training.

I'm trying to have a nuanced discussion about QBs and you keep wanting to talk about how slow WRs were back then or how heavy DLmen are today, neither of which have any bearing on the discussion.

So you aren't really talking about Baugh and Otto as they actually were? I thought that was what this was about,, it's not? You are making them into a modern version?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These 3 could have not only survived today, but thrived. Juke Deacon Jones with ease, and run thru LT and Aaron Donald . Mo knows football !!!

hqdefault.jpgunnamed.jpg