• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference in QB eras

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The older athletes would have to adapt to the more competitive modern era but they'd also have all of the advantages of being in the modern era.

Oline can block better than they used to, West Coast offense changed football, GSOT changed it some more, enforcing defensive holding changed it to where it is now.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe, the greatest could play in any era and this goes for almost every sport. Do I think it is ever great player? Of course not. Some could thrive more, some would not be as great as they were today.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The older athletes would have to adapt to the more competitive modern era but they'd also have all of the advantages of being in the modern era.
This is far and away the bottom line to this conversation.

ALSO....regardless of the era, superior athletes seldom trump talent and smarts. Bob Hayse changed the way defense was played but he was no Paul Warfield. Hayse could run like no other but there was 10 or more better NFL receivers in his day

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've often wondered why QBs are the only position group we hold to the "different era" standards. Like why does no one say "Jim Brown wouldn't be shit now. Teams used to run the ball way more . Super easy to rack up yards when you get more carries" or " Larry Fitzgerald isn't HoF worthy . Wide receivers now play in a far easier era to get catches " etc

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt Trupisky is far better than Baugh and Otto, not even close. Look how few QB rivals they had to coup with compared to what Trupiisky had to deal with.

You must be joking.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've often wondered why QBs are the only position group we hold to the "different era" standards. Like why does no one say "Jim Brown wouldn't be shit now. Teams used to run the ball way more . Super easy to rack up yards when you get more carries" or " Larry Fitzgerald isn't HoF worthy . Wide receivers now play in a far easier era to get catches " etc

Because it is the one position least reliant upon what we think of as athleticism which advances with human development. Jim Brown wouldn't be a "shit show" but he wouldn't be as successful as he was 60 years ago.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athleticism, aka the ability to run, move and avoid the rush, has always been an advantage in a QB.. see Tarkenton & Staubach. But guys like Brady, Manning & Big Ben should close the book on the notion that it's a requirement for success. The ability to throw the ball accurately with enough velocity, but most importantly accuracy, will always be more important that every other QB attribute put together... that is, unless they change the rules and deemphasize the passing game.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer to the OPs statement should be read as "night and day, you can not compare anyone from different area unless you are comparingnthem to rheir contemporaries.". Too many rule changes, adjustments to the game, upgrades in technology to ever compare anyone in any sport to another from another from a seperate era. Can only compare them as they performed statistically to their contemporaries.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALSO....regardless of the era, superior athletes seldom trump talent and smarts. Bob Hayse changed the way defense was played but he was no Paul Warfield. Hayse could run like no other but there was 10 or more better NFL receivers in his day
[/QUOTE]

Bob Hayes first 4 seasons were fantastic, he was all pro, 4 pro bowls scored 45 TD's, a 64 catch/1200yard season something Warfield never had. Then the jets begin to cool but for those 4 seasons he was on par with anyone in the game,

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be joking.

Mitch Trupisky is one of the top 50 QB's in the world in 2021. 6-2 220 pounds who faces the greatest athletes in the worl
Do you really think back in the days of Baugh those kinds of athletes had ever existed? Otto was less than 200 pounds, Baugh 180 something. No way in hell they could play the game today. Now stick Trupisku back there vs white defenders, no speedy cornerbacks and as we know he can run and at 222.

YES YES......Otto Graham belongs on the Mount Rushmore for QB's, we must go with dominance of era, that is how this is done. Otto was like Don Hutson simply on a whole other level in his era.

Hutson was a 9.8 sprinter there were no 9.8 sprinters n the NFL in his day, so he blew by everyone. Things are diffrent now.

Last edited:

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athleticism, aka the ability to run, move and avoid the rush, has always been an advantage in a QB.. see Tarkenton & Staubach. But guys like Brady, Manning & Big Ben should close the book on the notion that it's a requirement for success. The ability to throw the ball accurately with enough velocity, but most importantly accuracy, will always be more important that every other QB attribute put together... that is, unless they change the rules and deemphasize the passing game.

You must be able to pass the ball. yep.....all starts there,

Now where the game is going today.

Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Ptrick Mahomes

the current top three QB's in football, can debate who is where, all can pass the football, and......run, evade a pass rush. Look at who the number one pick will be, what is his 40 time?

Tom Brady is simply "special" a one of kind, not the norm.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Zorn is easily the best left handed QB. Steve Young had a shit load of talent around him. Zorn had one small white WR and a cripple Franco Harris.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Zorn is easily the best left handed QB. Steve Young had a shit load of talent around him. Zorn had one small white WR and a cripple Franco Harris.

Actually he had a good RB in Sherman Smith who was averaging around 4.5 a carry, he was a converted college QB. Big Ben's school, Miami of Ohio,

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested in each teams All Time Best QB/RB/WR/TE?

Ah, in my opinion.

Dalybuc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d take Dan Fouts over Philip Rivers in today’s game. I think you could put Fouts in many of today’s systems and he’d thrive. Not sure if Rivers could be put into Fouts era and be any good. Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Doomsday Defense, to name a few would have him hurrying throws. Not to mention getting clubbed upside the head almost every time you drop back to pass. They Ran more then as well and I’m sure your passing stats would be better if you weren’t getting concussions by the third quarter every game.
Last time we saw a real angry defense was New Orleans in bounty gate. You see the bruises on farve after? Back in Fouts day that’s the way it was week in week out, personally think most of today’s quarterbacks couldn’t last a 14 game season. I like today’s game better than the run, run, pass, punt of days long past. One things for sure, players like Fouts, Montana, Bradshaw, inspired today’s quarterbacks to be great just as Brady, Wilson, Rodgers will inspire the next wave of greats.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people like Jim Brown too much to really wonder what he'd look like in today's game. He'd probably be what Todd Gurley was doing in his prime with the Rams, except for 10 years instead of 2. Still a HOFer but not the obvious dominant player of his era.

Defenders are bigger and faster than they used to be. That impacts RBs way more than QBs because the QB is moving the ball around but the RB has to make the guys miss.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I mentioned love to see an effort, and all that is great, but ya keep acting as if I just started watching football. I turn 72 in July, been into pro football since the days before the Dallas Cowboys who came real close to being called the Rangers. Hell, the first Cowboys were the Kansas City Cowboys.

Anyway.....

Why do you keep telling me all this stuff, nothing you can say will change the fact Philip Rivers puts up better numbers vs far better athletes than Montana, Marino, Fouts ever faced. He throws lazers into tight windows, he is accurate, and precise. Dan Fouts simply didn't have the arm Rivers has and this a Cali guy who saw them play many many times telling you that.

I am first and foremost a track guy, my first sport is sprinting, none of the old time greats can hang with these guys today. hell high school kids are running faster than past Olympic champions. All sports fans get the era thing, ok?
Wasn’t Kansas City originally the Dallas Texans? An AFL team. Then AFC.

Always thought the Cowboys were just an expansion team.

But what do I know, Im 39.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn’t Kansas City originally the Dallas Texans? An AFL team. Then AFC.

Always thought the Cowboys were just an expansion team.

But what do I know, Im 39.

Yes they were, this was in 60-62, they had the first "star" of the old AFL Abner Haynes a speedy running back out of North Texas State, he could do it all.

The merger brought the Browns, Steelers, Colts over from the NFL to become AFC.

The Dallas Cowboys were real close to being the Rangers, the Oakland Raiders almost the Senors.

AFL

EAST

New York Titans
Boston Patriots
Buffalo Bills
Houston Oilers

WEST

LA Chargers
Dallas Texans
Oakland Raiders
Denver Broncos

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch Trupisky is one of the top 50 QB's in the world in 2021. 6-2 220 pounds who faces the greatest athletes in the worl
Do you really think back in the days of Baugh those kinds of athletes had ever existed? Otto was less than 200 pounds, Baugh 180 something. No way in hell they could play the game today. Now stick Trupisku back there vs white defenders, no speedy cornerbacks and as we know he can run and at 222.

YES YES......Otto Graham belongs on the Mount Rushmore for QB's, we must go with dominance of era, that is how this is done. Otto was like Don Hutson simply on a whole other level in his era.

Hutson was a 9.8 sprinter there were no 9.8 sprinters n the NFL in his day, so he blew by everyone. Things are diffrent now.

What in the world does his weight have to do with his value as a QB? Or the fact he's 6'2" either, but Baugh and Graham were 6'2" and 6'1" anyway. The idea that Trubusky could compete with either of them throwing he ball is laughable and that's what a QB gets paid for. QBs don't have to match up athletically with DBs, their WRs do. Not sure why you think that matters. They just have to hit what they're aiming at whether it's 1940 or 2021. They were both much better at that than Trubisky.