• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Collins as a reserve, but not everyday outfielder. Prolly won't see him and Moya both I suppose, maybe. But three out of four outfielders being lefties would surprise me.

Wasn't aware of Moya being a plus defender. That'd be nice to bring up a prospect that isn't a liability. (How many runs has Nicky C caused this year? He almost made a nice play last night. Then dropped the ball.)'m not big on Giants anywhere but 1st and on the mound personally. Part of the writing him off, too big to play a position, imo. If he can, great, but I'm not counting on him for anything.

Marte should be on the team next year. Work him out in the outfield too for all I care. No reason he can't be a right handed Don Kelly. Kid has a great eye at the plate.

Moya is a extremely good athlete for his size.. His defense grades as a 50 on the 20/80 scale and his arm a 60... his running ability is graded a 50... He is basically a taller version of Cespedes without the ability to hit for average. I am not saying Moya is going to be an all star.. but Collins ceiling is a .250 hitter with 10-15 HR in a full season with average defense at best... Moya might struggle to hit .210 or he could hit .275... but if he played a full season he would almost certainly hit 15-20 HR and his defense is very good. He moves very well for his size. Moya is going to finish 2nd in the International league in HR and he missed a few weeks in the beginning of the year do to plantar fasciitis.

Marte could fit on the 25 man roster even if he just played 3rd and 1st... as a right handed power bat off the bench... Not sure if the Tigers bring back Romine next year or go with Machado.. And I am also guessing Moya will get the majority of starts in LF... But my guess would be the bench will look something like this. Holaday/Romine/Marte/collins. The Tigers have a handful of prospects that could come up quickly though as far as outfield is concerned... with wynton bernard being the first one off the top of my mind that could make a run at a roster spot next year...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be noted that Castellanos is like a different player since July. His walks are up... and he has increased his batting average every month since may. Its a promising sign. His on base percentage since all star break is 60 points higher and his extra base hits are way up as well.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the higher of Ausmus from the beginning. My comments back when he was hired were this team was a veteran team built to win now and you bring in a manager with no experience. It has not worked out. Why I let him continue to the end of the year. Most reports are the team has quit on him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And last year was a tough go as a rookie. Was expected. He'd never even been a bench coach or base coach or what have you at the MLB level.

Interesting you mention bench coach, because my 20/20 hindsight says he'd be better suited in that role right now than manager. He has the baseball smarts for bench coach but not the leadership skills (yet) to be a really good manager.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be noted that Castellanos is like a different player since July. His walks are up... and he has increased his batting average every month since may. Its a promising sign. His on base percentage since all star break is 60 points higher and his extra base hits are way up as well.

He looked to be the poster boy for sophomore slumps early in the year, but he's turned around nicely. 11 HR, 66 RBI last year, and he's already at 15 and 66 this season. With 29 games left, he looks to finish around 18 HR and 80 RBI. He's already surpassed last season's walk total (37 to 36) in 20 fewer games played. Defense is still suspect, though he has a .976 fielding pct. this season versus .950 last year. Likely never will be a premiere defensive 3B, but he's improved and is still just 23 years old.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the higher of Ausmus from the beginning. My comments back when he was hired were this team was a veteran team built to win now and you bring in a manager with no experience. It has not worked out. Why I let him continue to the end of the year. Most reports are the team has quit on him.

Did they ever start playing for him?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting you mention bench coach, because my 20/20 hindsight says he'd be better suited in that role right now than manager. He has the baseball smarts for bench coach but not the leadership skills (yet) to be a really good manager.

Not sure what he is going to add as a bench coach... Every in game decision he makes seems to be wrong... I would rather have lard ass lamont making the calls.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see an experienced manager take over... my first choice everybody knows... Ozzie Guillen... but I wouldn't be surprised for them to go after Gardenhire. A dark horse would be Omar Vizquel...

Does Illitch have the balls to hire a guy like Ozzie Guillen?

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday night at Comerica
Gose
Kinsler
Miggy DH
JD
VMart 1B
Nick
Collins
Holaday
Machado SS
Lobstein on the hill. ...

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Tigers would hire Ozzie G..Maybe Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzie kind of burned his bridges in Chicago and Miami. I have no idea who they will hire but whoever it is it will piss somebody off.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to, I'd guess that's what he moves to next. If he wants to.

He's such an intelligent guy that I think it hurts him at times.(as odd as that sounds after I type it) There have been quite a few instances where he acts in the way he knows he should rather than the way his instincts and emotions would steer him to. (I'm not talking strategy/lineups/etc, more inter-personal stuff with his team/umps and the opposition.)

And that was something Leyland had definitely mastered over the years. Not sure anything but time and experience can help Brad with that. Or any of us in our lives. (You have to yourself, you can be no one else.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moya is a extremely good athlete for his size.. His defense grades as a 50 on the 20/80 scale and his arm a 60... his running ability is graded a 50... He is basically a taller version of Cespedes without the ability to hit for average. I am not saying Moya is going to be an all star.. but Collins ceiling is a .250 hitter with 10-15 HR in a full season with average defense at best... Moya might struggle to hit .210 or he could hit .275... but if he played a full season he would almost certainly hit 15-20 HR and his defense is very good. He moves very well for his size. Moya is going to finish 2nd in the International league in HR and he missed a few weeks in the beginning of the year do to plantar fasciitis.

Marte could fit on the 25 man roster even if he just played 3rd and 1st... as a right handed power bat off the bench... Not sure if the Tigers bring back Romine next year or go with Machado.. And I am also guessing Moya will get the majority of starts in LF... But my guess would be the bench will look something like this. Holaday/Romine/Marte/collins. The Tigers have a handful of prospects that could come up quickly though as far as outfield is concerned... with wynton bernard being the first one off the top of my mind that could make a run at a roster spot next year...
Moya off the bench would make me happy. We haven't had a lefty power bat since I don't know when.

Right at the deadline I would have thought left could possibly be a platoon of Davis and a lefty, but his lack of playing time since has led me to believe the Tigers couldn't deal him, rather than just didn't. I doubt he's back now.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Tigers would hire Ozzie G..Maybe Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzie kind of burned his bridges in Chicago and Miami. I have no idea who they will hire but whoever it is it will piss somebody off.
Not gonna lie, I'd be cool with Ozzie.

I assume the next manager is a Latino. Vizquel, Acta, Ozzie, somebody.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie ran his mouth about respecting Fidel Castro in Miami.. which the only people offended by this were old ass Cubans in their 70's that didn't go to games anyways... It was actually kind of funny seeing people you knew would never actually pay for a ticket picket outside the stadium and say they were boycotting.. to boycott you have to actually go in the first place.

Ozzie was a fall guy for the dumpster fire of a season the Marlins had after spending all that money on Reyes, Buerhle, and the rest of the team that stunk it up and ended up getting shipped to Toronto. Ozzie didn't burn any bridges with the actual team... they can say what they want.. but the same old ass Cubans that were protesting Ozzie protest Loria too... It was a VERY small group.. maybe 20 people that would show up for a week or so and protest... It was made out nationally to be a bigger deal that it really was.

Ozzie can say what ever he wants as long as he wins in my book... And he has stated before he wants to manage the Tigers. http://archive.freep.com/article/20131025/SPORTS02/310250090/detroit-tigers-ozzie-guillen

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Tony Pena?

He's as expierienced as it gets. (KC was going to stink no matter who managed those teams.)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Pena isn't a bad call either.. Who ever it is they get needs to be a strong leader that can command the attention of guys like Miggy and Verlander... I doubt they even remotely listen to what comes out of Brad's mouth.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers offense getting shut down by a complete turd...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at ausmus leaving ferrell in again.. why the hell does he keep calling up young guys and having them pitch until they are completely shot? he is destroying their confidence.. he basically leaves them in until they are getting hit like a batting tee.