• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing Brad Ausmus with Jim Leyland level decision making (not always perfect either but much better than Ausmus) - 5 wins

Starting rotation with a combined era under 4 by signing 2 legit starters / entire healthy year from verlander / norris and sanchez as the back end starters instead of greene and simon - 10 wins

Vmart back healthy - 3 wins

Bullpen of wilson/rondon/verhagen/farmer/hardy/ryan/alburquerque - even par for league

Tigers should win about 70-75 games this year... by making these moves the Tigers should be able to be back in contention by adding 18 wins... I think these are REALLY conservative numbers... as Vmart just getting back to even some semblance of himself with time to heal totally, and getting 2 free agent pitchers that can push Sanchez and Norris to the back end of the rotation alone should get the tigers into the division and playoff hunt next year... A new manager could push them over the top.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger's fans should remember Casey Fien as a Tiger.. huge suckass... but for the Twins.. he has carved out a nice career.. just goes to show... that useful bullpen arms can be right in front of your face and you might not see them.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS is only one stat. The pen has also caused several close games (Tigers behind 1 or 2 runs) to be put completely out of reach. No matter, there is plenty of blame to go around this year.... crummy rotation, inconsistent hitting, lack of clutch hitting, managerial decisions, etc.
Dave Clark hasn't helped either.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vmart back healthy - 3 wins

His left/right splits are the worst of his career, by far. .199 batting left, .353 batting right. (Versus career .300 left, .307 right.) The left knee clearly has not fully healed all season.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His left/right splits are the worst of his career, by far. .199 batting left, .353 batting right. (Versus career .300 left, .307 right.) The left knee clearly has not fully healed all season.

Like I have said before.. and obviously I didn't have mlb trainers to help me.. but I was an all state athlete in multiple sports in high school... and have remained in decent shape into my 30's... and when I tore the major ligaments in my right knee... it took a solid 18 months for me to start to feel strong again... It still doesn't feel like it did before the injury. Hopefully the Tiger's have someone on staff with him during his offseason workouts to prevent another injury.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Clark is the worst third base coach I have ever seen... and it was hard to be worse than Lamont...

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday Nite
Gose
Kinsler
Miggy
JD
VMart
Nick
Collins
McCann
Iggy
Boyd on the hill

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah, a good bullpen pitcher like Benoit wouldn't have helped the tigers anyway, Nathan was a better signing and getting Price helped them get in the post season, your right MiamiVice. I am sure you will be right again with your bullpen selections next season as well. Been at the K and amazing to watch what 173m got Detroit.
LOL... he can't admit he had no idea how old Benoit was... he just can't do it... He can't admit all the stuff he posted was complete BS... He didn't know how old Benoit was... He didn't know that Nathan's age 36 year was complete crap... LOL... Seriously.. The year they let Benoit walk.. they signed Nathan... Yes.. nathan was 39... Benoit was 37... not like they were getting some spring chicken with either... They didn't do it because they couldn't afford him.. they paid nathan more... I never once cheered the signing of Nathan. I hated the guy with the Twins... I don't know how to judge relievers? What does that even have to do with anything? Who cares if I know how to judge relievers.. I am not a MLB scout... where were we even talking about my ability to judge a reliever? Are you drunk or on drugs? Get help...

You have named 1.... yes.. 1 guy that you could legitimately argue had his best season in his mid to late 30's.. eckersly.. and even he had a season in his true prime years that could be argued as better when he was a starter... this whole arguement got skewed the second you were proven wrong.. it started as you trying to prove that the prime years of a reliever was their late 30's.... that was proven wrong.. you look like an idiot bums... seriously... admit you were wrong and you at least would get a tiny bit of respect.

Once again da55bums... do you not understand what the definition of "peaked" is? "peaked" does not mean have the ability to have good seasons later in their career... peaked mean the best.. Hoffman's best year was his age 30 year... if you think smoltz best years were his closer years.. you once again are an idiot...he won 24 games and was CY as a 29 yr old... did those guys have productive mid 30's seasons? yes.. were they the best seasons of their career? NO... your a moron bro... this is my last post in reference to you... i am going to let you fade away like the nasty Budweiser fart you are... blow away into the wind bums... without me responding.... you are nothing more than a clown that posts stupid shit. Even your old CBS buddies don't want you around anymore.. go back to AL Central Smack thread and talk to doug... he is more your speed...

Not even going to list all of them again who had great seasons from 35-38, led league in saves, had career best era's, etc. just need to name Rivera to prove more than 1. If you don't think Smoltz was dominate closer between 35-37, the same years Benoit would have had, can't help you. I really can't help you if you don't understand that MLB players peak for more than one season. Miggy should have taught you that if anyone.

Det fucked up by not signing Benoit over Nathan, it happened, hindsight 20/20.

Been out at the K, just wow at what 173m bought, left the game at 13-7, just sad to watch a team get pounded with such a great hitter on it. I thought the Tigers had another year left in their window, but it shut so hard when Simon and Greene were announced as starters. Use to just laugh at the bullpen but not being able to afford good players just makes Det the Phil Phillies of the AL. They will try to piece together a team that they can afford for the next few years until they can get JV, Vmart, Fielder and Miggy off the books

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are a real mess right now. That's not hard to see. There seems to be no leadership on this team and that starts with the manager. If the Tigers don't make some changes internally before they start free agency and trading in the offseason why would a free agent want to come to Detroit?

I agree. Ausmus may be a good manager, but not right now and not with this team.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Ausmus may be a good manager, but not right now and not with this team.

He is in no way a good manager. Nothing he has done even remotely tells me he will be good. His leadership, decision making, presence, development of players, use of the bullpen/managing pitchers, baseball knowledge.. they all suck.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite Ausmus moment this year was when he was ejected for coming out on the field and asking for an explanation of a review... the look on his face was priceless... its almost like he didn't know it was against the rules to come out of the pen and argue... and almost like he didn't understand that the umps on the field have nothing to do with a review... it comes from a studio in NY and they just relay it to them.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the look on his face was priceless... its almost like he didn't know it was against the rules to come out of the pen and argue...

It was definitely a "Jim Schwartz throwing the red flag on an unchallengable play" moment.
:doh:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the 1-5 road trip with 61 runs allowed, Tigers. Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have said before.. and obviously I didn't have mlb trainers to help me.. but I was an all state athlete in multiple sports in high school... and have remained in decent shape into my 30's... and when I tore the major ligaments in my right knee... it took a solid 18 months for me to start to feel strong again... It still doesn't feel like it did before the injury. Hopefully the Tiger's have someone on staff with him during his offseason workouts to prevent another injury.

Seriously, what is the point of even playing V-mart the rest of the season? It's not like his bat will help them win some meaningless September games, especially with the dumpster fire happening on the mound for the Tigers. Shut him down.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, what is the point of even playing V-mart the rest of the season? It's not like his bat will help them win some meaningless September games, especially with the dumpster fire happening on the mound for the Tigers. Shut him down.

I agree... but I doubt VMart would... I'm sure they just don't want to piss him off and get bad blood moving forward.

Next Monday is Toledo's last game... So I am expecting Marte (who has batted .327 with 8 rbi and 1 HR since getting sent back to the minors) Moya and Machado to come up, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Marte or Moya get some of Vmarts at bats this month.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Victor did hit the ball sharply a couple times last night. But I agree, he's not healthy and the ab's could be better spent on others.

I've already written Moya off in my mind. It was before this year even started. He could play for us for awhile, but I don't assume that'll ever be a positive thing.

I like Marte a lot though. Be fine with him and Collins off the bench next year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the hire. He was my guy to replace Jimmy before Jimmy was replaced. Couldn't have been happier with the move.

And last year was a tough go as a rookie. Was expected. He'd never even been a bench coach or base coach or what have you at the MLB level. It could have been worse imo. I liked a lot of things. Especially winning the division again and aggressive base running. (Especially early in the season.)

But by mid to late Jube this year he was starting to unravel. Shitty comments to the media. Jackass decisions with the pitching staff. Joba. Non sensical decisions on who to pitch to and who not. A refusal to admit he's wrong. As a friend of mine said, it's like he wants to get fired!

And fired he shall be.

But I think he'll be a good one once his ego lets him be. Which could be awhile.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Victor did hit the ball sharply a couple times last night. But I agree, he's not healthy and the ab's could be better spent on others.

I've already written Moya off in my mind. It was before this year even started. He could play for us for awhile, but I don't assume that'll ever be a positive thing.

I like Marte a lot though. Be fine with him and Collins off the bench next year.

I doubt Moya will ever hit for a decent average... but he is going to hit around 20 HR in the International League.. a league known to suppress power and is currently tied for 2nd in the league in HR...and 7th in RBI... This is after starting the year on the minor league DL. He could easily play plus defense and hit 20 HR for the Tigers next year.. while batting .220 and k'ing a ton...

The difference between a Moya or a Castellanos as far as prospects go is very clear.. Even if Moya k's a ton and doesn't hit for average... He can play above average defense and he has a cannon of an arm... So he brings value there. I would rather see him in LF than Collins... who seems to have a Delmon Young like arm.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte was a hot shot prospect that the Mets gave up on way to early. He is barely 24 years old and clearly figuring it out at the plate. I could easily see him hit for .280 or better with 20+ HR... He doesn't k much... takes a walk... and has nice power. I haven't seen him play much defense.. and from what I have seen.. He should probably move to 1st.. and work more there.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Collins as a reserve, but not everyday outfielder. Prolly won't see him and Moya both I suppose, maybe. But three out of four outfielders being lefties would surprise me.

Wasn't aware of Moya being a plus defender. That'd be nice to bring up a prospect that isn't a liability. (How many runs has Nicky C caused this year? He almost made a nice play last night. Then dropped the ball.)'m not big on Giants anywhere but 1st and on the mound personally. Part of the writing him off, too big to play a position, imo. If he can, great, but I'm not counting on him for anything.

Marte should be on the team next year. Work him out in the outfield too for all I care. No reason he can't be a right handed Don Kelly. Kid has a great eye at the plate.