• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize if i come off poorly... I tend to take my frustration of the Tigers season out here...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drew smyly's sample size as a starter is still small.. his future is most likely the pen as well.

He had a rough outing soon after going to TB then he got injured this year. His starts after the trade last year were more than solid. but, the jury still is out as it too soon to judge. Let's see him pitch as a SP for 3 full seasons before coming to a final decision. He may very well end up in the BP. I think he's great there in the right role as a RP. But don't move him back and forth like in Detroit.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as am I... we agree here.. but I'm not highly confident we honestly have the arms for the pen, right at this moment.

Only way the Tigers find out if they have the arms is by giving them a run. I am hoping they do. My guess is one of the wilson/hardy/verhagen/alburquerque will be the closer next year unless they make another idiotic purchase in free agency or trade away more prospects for another pricey guy.

I would totally be fine with wilson closing... i would like to see verhagen get some late inning run too.. he has the tools and mound presence.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so was dave dombrowski for the last 10 seasons or so...
Broncos think alike, I guess.

(His Red Sox bully looked Tigersesque tonight. With the always popular 33 pitch save.)

Sometimes it's like you're arguing with yourself man. I've stated 2-3 times today that I don't like AlAl much. Prolly a dozen times lately that I don't advocate drafting college relievers. And thousands of times I've voiced my displeasure with the Tigers bullpen. Not really sure why you get all worked up.

I don't see anything impressive from Buck Farmer, I'm sorry, just don't.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a rough outing soon after going to TB then he got injured this year. His starts after the trade last year were more than solid. but, the jury still is out as it too soon to judge. Let's see him pitch as a SP for 3 full seasons before coming to a final decision. He may very well end up in the BP. I think he's great there in the right role as a RP. But don't move him back and forth like in Detroit.
smyly could be another andrew miller

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize if i come off poorly... I tend to take my frustration of the Tigers season out here...

accepted....

yeah, you do tend to take out your frustrations on nearly every single poster in here and they became sick of it long ago... just sayin'..

try a better approach, maybe.

you're a really smart baseball dude, so use it to your benefit. don't be a D-bag when you think other poster's don't comprehend what you've been pushing down everyone's throat for the last 6 weeks. :suds:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos think alike, I guess.

(His Red Sox bully looked Tigersesque tonight. With the always popular 33 pitch save.)

Sometimes it's like you're arguing with yourself man. I've stated 2-3 times today that I don't like AlAl much. Prolly a dozen times lately that I don't advocate drafting college relievers. And thousands of times I've voiced my displeasure with the Tigers bullpen. Not really sure why you get all worked up.

I don't see anything impressive from Buck Farmer, I'm sorry, just don't.

as a starter.. i agree.. but from pure quality of his stuff.. he has a decent shot to carve out a decent career as a reliever. he has had his shot at starting.. its not working... they need to get proven starters for next year and let him see if he can make the team out of spring camp as a reliever.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smyly could be another andrew miller

it's very possible but I still see a possible very good starter who could chew up 6+ IP 65% of his starts. I'd like to see him stay a SP, for right now. If it doesn't work out next year, after this shoulder injury rehab, then try him in the pen but leave him there.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would rather see them move kyle ryan to the rotation and farmer to the pen now that they called ryan up.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if avila is smart.. he uses September to get a look at his bullpen options for next year.. and to see if Moya can hack it in LF. Collins doesn't impress me much.. but he also isn't totally terrible.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have heard that al avila had a hand in most of the minor league free agent signings in the past few seasons.. like blaine hardy, jefry marte, and jd martinez... the fact they have hit on so many of those low key moves gives me a little hope that avila knows what he is going when evaluating guys.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if avila is smart.. he uses September to get a look at his bullpen options for next year

exactly... :agree:

and to see if Moya can hack it in LF. Collins doesn't impress me much.. but he also isn't totally terrible.

I'm not impressed with either of them but give them a shot. at worst it can do, is solidify that top 10 pick. You can have all the top 10 picks in the world, every damn year, however, you're scouting dept. better be top notch. They don't always pan out and it usually takes 4-5 years before you know what you have. There are extremely few JV's and Porcello's that come up after a year or slightly above from the minors and pitch well from the get go. at least when talking about Tigers farm system pitching.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly... :agree:

I'm not impressed with either of them but give them a shot. at worst it can do, is solidify that top 10 pick. You can have all the top 10 picks in the world, every damn year, however, you're scouting dept. better be top notch. They don't always pan out and it usually takes 4-5 years before you know what you have. There are extremely few JV's and Porcello's that come up after a year or slightly above from the minors and pitch well from the get go. at least when talking about Tigers farm system pitching.

the tigers haven't had any premium prospects because they haven't picked in the top 15 in years... and lost a few 1st rounders due to free agency qualifying offers...

moya may be a complete bust.. or another great find... but its really hard to say either way at this point.. he has limited at bats in the majors ( he hit .375 last year in 11 games). I doubt he hits for average.. but if the last 2 years are any indicator... he is going to hit HR... He has hit 57 HR at the top levels of the minors.. and erie and toledo don't play in hitter friendly leagues. Hitting 35 HR in the eastern league is no joke.. nor is hitting 20 in the international league. i doubt he is going to be an all star.. but i really wouldn't be surprised to see him have a frustrating up and down season to watch where he hits .230 and hits 20 HR with 60-70 rbi... but k's 200 times

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being honest.. it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see moya come up and hit 30 hr next year and bat .200...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly what I said about roster expansion.. so I agreed with you.

100% agree here

Pretty sure Smitty is on board with that too
I have not so much as listened to a Tigers game since the 14th.(box scores, write ups and this board have been 98% of my info.) So I can't comment on anything negative that's happened recently with the Tigs. But since Soria was dealt(and even before, assuming he would be.) I've 100% wanted Wilson to close the remainder of the season.

Partly because I have no faith in Rondon. And partly because I'd like to see how Wilson handles it. (Rondon gets more time than most before he's given up on though. 100mph fastballs aren't floating around all over the place.)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not so much as listened to a Tigers game since the 14th.(box scores, write ups and this board have been 98% of my info.) So I can't comment on anything negative that's happened recently with the Tigs. But since Soria was dealt(and even before, assuming he would be.) I've 100% wanted Wilson to close the remainder of the season.

Partly because I have no faith in Rondon. And partly because I'd like to see how Wilson handles it. (Rondon gets more time than most before he's given up on though. 100mph fastballs aren't floating around all over the place.)
to me rondon is a bust. he can't control his slider and his fastball gets hit easily. He isn't fooling anyone... I am sure he will be back next year.. but to be honest.. i have seen enough of him to say he isn't closer material.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me rondon is a bust. he can't control his slider and his fastball gets hit easily. He isn't fooling anyone... I am sure he will be back next year.. but to be honest.. i have seen enough of him to say he isn't closer material.
I'm right with you. (It looks to me like he can't control his two seam at all. And his four seam is just flat, fast, bp. Agree on his slider.)

Tbh I don't think he knows what he's doing anymore than Ryan Perry did. And I loathed that knucklehead. (Him double fist pounding non-alcoholic champagne post game in the locker room sealed the deal for me there.)

But his velocity is rare, so I'm sure he gets more time. Just hope it isn't in the closing role. No idea what it was that DD saw in him to anoint him "closer" in ST before his injury. At the time, I thought he was just pumping him up to deal him. Which would have been great now looking back at it.