• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I looked at his freshman year.

while you obviously looked at his sophomore season.

We both were completely wrong on his college career. Although, I notice he didn't fail as a starter in his 1 season as one. Smart coaching/managing put him in position to obviously do very well.
LOL.. They didn't have the stats for his freshman year.. So I couldn't see it.. you on the other hand didn't even look at stats.. you assumed... you didn't see his stats until I posted it... you can't even admit you were wrong... its funny.. probably why your restaurants failed and you had to go get a shitty job at Cabbalas.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One disappointing season isn't forcing me to hope Avila reinvents the wheel or anything. But I do hope he has better luck assembling a bullpen than Dave did. (I said luck on purpose. Various moves made perfect sense, just didn't work out. Coupled with managers/pitching coaches/Geno that are hell bent on cementing guys in specific roles no matter their recent performance.).

all that, right there... and mostly your quote "just didn't work out".. (Valverde, Veras, Nathan, Soria... all pretty dang good prior to being a Tiger.. Rodney and Benoit were more than decent in set-up roles for a couple years).

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all that, right there... and mostly your quote "just didn't work out".. (Valverde, Veras, Nathan, Soria... all pretty dang good prior to being a Tiger.. Rodney and Benoit were more than decent in set-up roles for a couple years).
Valverde had his moments as well.. you can't say DD didn't try to fix the pen. You can't even say he didn't do exactly what experts and fans called for (signing nathan, trading for soria) The problem is going out and getting experienced closers means you are getting an older guy... and relievers just don't seem to stay on the top of their game for very many seasons... its like playing russian roulette...

tigers need to hire someone from the cards, marlins, giants, or some other team that pumps out closers and never seems to spend big on them... seriously the cards closer makes like $500,000 and was a 21st round draft pick...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tigers need to hire someone from the cards, marlins, giants, or some other team that pumps out closers and never seems to spend big on them... seriously the cards closer makes like $500,000 and was a 21st round draft pick...

pretty sure giants closers for the last 3 years have changed year by year as a closer by committee, was Romo, then Casilla. Oak is another team that has had multiple changes of a different closer over the same time. might be wrong though

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty sure giants closers for the last 3 years have changed year by year as a closer by committee, was Romo, then Casilla. Oak is another team that has had multiple changes of a different closer over the same time. might be wrong though
Its true.. Can you name the closer from the Marlins? He 23 saves and a 2.75 era for a crap team... How about the closer for the Mets? he makes about $500,000 a yr, was a 4th rd pick and has 35 saves... Texas or Tampa's closer? Can you name them? Tampa's was a 43rd round pick... The Rangers was a 30th round pick... neither make more than $550,000... Toronto? He is only 20 and was signed out of Mexico... You get the theme here...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Familia for the Mets

Boxburger for TB

don't even know any of the rest

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending big money or wasting prospects to aquire closers does nothing but hurt your team in the long run.. if the Tigers didn't do this.. they would still have the 56th overall prospect in the minors in their system.. a very good looking starter in jake thompson... they would have had close to 20 mil more to spend on starters this year and would not have had to let scherzer walk if they didn't want to... think about what was wasted on the roulette wheel that is acquiring "known closers".

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel bad one bit for losing Scherzer and his 30M a year deal. Give him at best 3 years and it's a deep downward run for him. imo. look at him over his last 7 or 8 starts. I miss Smyly more than Scherzer or Fister.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can very easily build a team where you have 80 mil on starting pitching, 80 mil on the lineup... and 10 mil on the bullpen... easily.. 170 mil... around what the tigers had opening day...

the mets don't have a reliever making more than 1.8 mil
the rays don't have one making more than 550,000 k
the cards entire bullpen is going to cost them less than 10 mil... and their payroll is 130 mil
toronto's entire bullpen is going to cost around 6 mil.. and their payroll is around 135 mil

food for thought... joe nathan made 10 mil this year.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel bad one bit for losing Scherzer and his 30M a year deal. Give him at best 3 years and it's a deep downward run for him. look at him over his last 7 or 8 starts. I miss Smyly more than Scherzer or Fister.
I agree.. scherzer's deal is going to be one of the worst albatrosses ever in the MLB in only a season or two... my point was the money would have been there to put into the rotation if they had in house bullpen options and didn't have to waste 10 mil on a closer.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gu

Kimbrel was in college 2 years, if you couldn't find his stats for his freshman year, pretty tough to say he only had 1 save.

Kimbrel was the closer his entire freshman year, didn't get drafted high enough so he tried out being a starter for his sophomore year to improve his draft position.
His stats were blank for his freshman year. Couldn't find anything else.

But I did read how he got hurt in high school, started throwing from his knees the length of a football field, (Seems unlikely.) and gained a stupid amount of velocity.

Also read how he wanted to be a starter, but Atlanta thought different.

All of this makes no difference to me really. But I did learn all kinds of Kimbrel trivia while riding in the car.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers rolled the dice last year.. paid a big payout for soria.. then he came over and was completely worthless... they got one middle of the road prospect in return for him...

they gave up jake thompson who is currently the 56th rated prospect in mlb.com's ratings.. with a 1.97 era in AA in the Philly system.. and cory knebel who has a 3.52 era with 43 k in 38.1 innings as a reliever for the brewers...

think detroit could use either of those guys right now?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before he got injured I considered Soria the best closer in baseball for a short stretch. Nathan was top form the year before. (Hated the money on that deal though. But Im "proud" to say I was at his first blown save/vultured W.). It's weird how guys come to Detroit to destroy their career.

Jim Johnson is another guy. Horrible with us, then great for ATL this year, then back to awful in LA.

Too bad SD paid Benoit so much. He would've been great to have around.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before he got injured I considered Soria the best closer in baseball for a short stretch. Nathan was top form the year before. (Hated the money on that deal though. But Im "proud" to say I was at his first blown save/vultured W.). It's weird how guys come to Detroit to destroy their career.

Jim Johnson is another guy. Horrible with us, then great for ATL this year, then back to awful in LA.

I don't think they come here to destroy their career.. I think Detroit just kept buying high milage relievers after the warranty was up.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soria was a knee jerk reaction that DD made.. in the end he did little to help the tigers last year.. what he did this year is meaningless to me.. he was acquired for last year.. and he was a waste.. what they gave up to get him is why the tigers have no bullpen arms.. if jake thompson was still around.. one of the starters in AA erie would be able to be used as a reliever.. knebel could have done what soria did last year...

hindsite is 20/20... but show me a trade for a reliever that involves top end prospects and I will show you a team that will regret trading those prospects.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they come here to destroy their career.. I think Detroit just kept buying high milage relievers after the warranty was up.
I was kidding.

Never would have guessed Nathan would fall apart like he did. Or Veras would struggle like he did. Or Soria would give up homers like crazy as a closer....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kidding.

Never would have guessed Nathan would fall apart like he did. Or Veras would struggle like he did. Or Soria would give up homers like crazy as a closer....
nathan was 39 when he got here.. veras was a scrub before the few good innings he had with the astros... can't explain soria.. he just completely pooped his pants.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sensing sarcasm here for some odd reason. A set-up man yes but not sure about a second consecutive year or more as a closer. He did extremely well after taking over for Valverde in 2013 to close out the season